PDA

View Full Version : Who are the top builders to make a Time Machine?

loyalty4life
06-03-2019, 01:09 AM
Hello all.

I am extremely new to the Delorean community. I haven't even bought one yet. I am in my very early stages to fulfilling a dream of buying one and having someone convert it.

Who are the best builders in the business? From my exhaustive research, Bob Moseley looks very skilled. I haven't found any other reputable ones that do great work.

Who would you recommend?

Thanks everyone!

Justin

Michael
06-03-2019, 07:20 AM
SonnyV is awesome and I love the service they provide

DMC-81
06-03-2019, 07:56 AM
Hello all.

I am extremely new to the Delorean community. I haven't even bought one yet. I am in my very early stages to fulfilling a dream of buying one and having someone convert it.

Who are the best builders in the business? From my exhaustive research, Bob Moseley looks very skilled. I haven't found any other reputable ones that do great work.

Who would you recommend?

Thanks everyone!

Justin

Hi. I would recommend checking out Coulombe Enterprises. I've been to Bruce Coulombe's shop and have seen his outstanding work:

http://www.deloreantimemachines.com/

Maybe you can research on this forum about Bob Mosley, aka "Video Bob". Personally, I'd much rather deal with Bruce.

MikeWard
06-03-2019, 10:00 AM
SonnyV is awesome and I love the service they provide
:rofl::aniclap::aniclap:

Mark D
06-03-2019, 11:11 AM
In the old days a thread like this would devolve into a shit show almost instantly. Lets see if we can keep it classy DMCTalk.

My 2 cents? Build your own time machine DeLorean. That is half the fun, and you will enjoy knowing you did it yourself and didn't just open your checkbook.

loyalty4life
06-03-2019, 11:14 AM
In the old days a thread like this would devolve into a shit show almost instantly. Lets see if we can keep it classy DMCTalk.

My 2 cents? Build your own time machine DeLorean. That is half the fun, and you will enjoy knowing you did it yourself and didn't just open your checkbook.

Unfortunately my creative skills are absent and I don’t have the time.

Mark D
06-03-2019, 11:37 AM
Unfortunately my creative skills are absent and I don’t have the time.

Keep in mind that once your time machine converted DeLorean is "built", the work never really ends. You'll want to get to know at least the basics as far as what the builder has done to your car both physically and electrically since a lot of the props tie into the vehicle's electrical system. A screen accurate converted DeLorean leaves the rear parcel shelf open to the elements so there are compromises you may need to make such as leaving the rear window intact, or taking other measures to enclose the electronics from rain and weather. I've seen some pretty poor hack jobs where conversions were built using a lot of butt splices and no fuses anywhere, essentially turning the car into a reliability and safety nightmare.

Underneath all of those props is still a 38 year old classic vehicle that requires a lot of love and preventative maintenance vs a modern car where you can jump in, turn the key and go. If you are not mechanically inclined at all and don't have time to work on the car yourself you may still need to invest some time to learn or you will end up with a car that spends a lot of time in the shop for repairs that will drain your wallet.

I would spend as much time as you can talking with your prospective builders to find out how the conversion will affect the car itself and document what modifications will be made. That type of information will help inform you of what kind of builder you are dealing with and what it will be like trying to service your car after the fact. For example, screen accurate vents require removal of 18 or so button head cap screws to remove the lower half of the vents before you can even open the engine cover. Ask for photos of previous cars that your builder has made...not just the movie props, but of the underlying mechanical and electrical work so you can be informed of what kind of finished product you will be receiving.

Michael
06-03-2019, 11:59 AM
Yeah I did my conversion all by myself. Saved a fortune!

Mark D
06-03-2019, 12:03 PM
The SUNKISTPACITOR. It's what makes thirst quenching possible.

Parzival
06-03-2019, 12:10 PM
Hi. I would recommend checking out Coulombe Enterprises. I've been to Bruce Coulombe's shop and have seen his outstanding work:

Call Bruce, I've seen his stuff up close.
I've never met video bob, can't comment there

TTait
06-03-2019, 02:22 PM
You can also talk to Danny at DMC-CA.

Citizen
06-03-2019, 09:42 PM
Over the years, we (the Texas Owners Club) have tried to keep up an accurate list of VINs and who the builder is of known BTTF conversions.

Here is the current list (http://www.citizenkidd.com/DMC/pages/vinview_totals_spec.asp?vinstart=14). Currently, as of June 2019, we are showing 94 builds.

For a while, both Bruce and Bob both were providing me the VINs of their conversions, but in the last year or two I have not heard from either of them with an update. (Note to self: Initiate contact with Bruce and Bob about their latest builds).

60279 I guess I need to add Michael's conversion to the list, eh? : )

That said, the above list may help you find a builder. And, you may end up saving money by buying an already built conversion, rather than doing a new conversion. Sometimes they come up for sale.

Good luck.

Thomas

EngineerGuY
06-17-2019, 08:19 AM
Hello all.

Who would you recommend?

Thanks everyone!

Justin

Coulombe Enterprises hands down! Bruce is a trusted builder, and his work speaks for itself.

loyalty4life
06-17-2019, 08:21 AM
Coulombe Enterprises hands down! Bruce is a trusted builder, and his work speaks for itself.

Hi. Thanks for the message. I’ve called him multiple times over the past three weeks with no response. Left two voice message. Also messaged him on Facebook. No response.

D Knight
06-17-2019, 08:49 PM
Try Danny at DMC Ca.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loyalty4life
06-17-2019, 08:50 PM
Try Danny at DMC Ca.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the suggestion. Does Danny have a website or Facebook page I could look at?

Col Bennett
06-17-2019, 08:52 PM

:rofl: Amazing!

Michael
06-17-2019, 09:06 PM
:rofl: Amazing!

I have been told it brings tears to the eyes of most who see it.

DMC-81
06-17-2019, 09:11 PM
Hi. Thanks for the message. I’ve called him multiple times over the past three weeks with no response. Left two voice message. Also messaged him on Facebook. No response.

Just in case it helps, I saw him at MegaCon in Orlando last month, and he mentioned that he would be busy with trade shows around the country during the first part of June.

mluder
06-18-2019, 12:46 AM
I would probably avoid Bob. I've not worked with him personally but have heard stories from friends who have.
I also know he's been shunned by most of the prop replica community for stealing other peoples work without giving them credit.
Talk to Adam Kontras about his experiences with Bob...

Bruce seems to make pretty good stuff.
There's a couple of facebook groups you should look into for more info on all of it.

Cheers
Steve

loyalty4life
06-18-2019, 07:20 AM
I would probably avoid Bob. I've not worked with him personally but have heard stories from friends who have.
I also know he's been shunned by most of the prop replica community for stealing other peoples work without giving them credit.
Talk to Adam Kontras about his experiences with Bob...

Bruce seems to make pretty good stuff.
There's a couple of facebook groups you should look into for more info on all of it.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve. Yes, I have heard about the re-casting and such. May I ask what you have heard from friends about working with Bob specifically?

Michael
06-18-2019, 08:23 AM
Hi Steve. Yes, I have heard about the re-casting and such. May I ask what you have heard from friends about working with Bob specifically?

I'm sure you have heard it all before...Bob

Mark D
06-18-2019, 09:11 AM

I would take a look through his post history here and let his own words speak for himself.

http://dmctalk.org/search.php?searchid=3834172

He doesn't post here that often so it shouldn't take too long to read through his history. Start at the earliest post and work your way backwards.

If you are considering spending $50,000+ on a time machine it would be a worthwhile exercise to learn as much as you can about the person who will be building it and whether or not you want to marry yourself to this person for 6 months or more while it is being built. You will most likely have to maintain some relationship afterwards in case there are any problems or customer service type issues.

Whoever you choose to build your car, make sure that you think you'll be able to get along with this person in the long term.

loyalty4life
06-18-2019, 09:25 AM
I would take a look through his post history here and let his own words speak for himself.

http://dmctalk.org/search.php?searchid=3834172

He doesn't post here that often so it shouldn't take too long to read through his history. Start at the earliest post and work your way backwards.

If you are considering spending $50,000+ on a time machine it would be a worthwhile exercise to learn as much as you can about the person who will be building it and whether or not you want to marry yourself to this person for 6 months or more while it is being built. You will most likely have to maintain some relationship afterwards in case there are any problems or customer service type issues.

Whoever you choose to build your car, make sure that you think you'll be able to get along with this person in the long term.

Okay thank you sir. Besides Danny from DMC California and Bruce, is there anyone else that you would go to?

SS Spoiler
06-18-2019, 09:31 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGRTkWH_-Bg

Mark D
06-18-2019, 10:28 AM
Okay thank you sir. Besides Danny from DMC California and Bruce, is there anyone else that you would go to?

If you're talking top builders then I absolutely have to mention Joe Walser. He was the leader of the Time Machine Restoration team which was a group of builders hired by Universal Studios to restore the screen used A-car time machine. I'm not sure if Joe is building cars still or not but his resume in terms of build accuracy and contributions to the BTTF community is unrivaled.

Check out this video if you want to learn more about the restoration.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VvUVbeeNxY

There is also a feature length documentary:
https://www.outatimemovie.com/

mluder
06-18-2019, 07:12 PM

There's also Jon Miller in New Jersey. Not sure if he's actively taking commissions but he built hi car and it's extremely accurate. His attention to detail is unmatched. I think he has also taken on one or two other builds for people.
Jon can be found via Facebook.

Cheers
Steve

Citizen
07-18-2019, 08:05 AM
(Note to self: Initiate contact with Bruce and Bob about their latest builds).

Bruce responded to my request for an update, and they have been entered into the database. The count is now up to 106 BTTF Builds (http://www.citizenkidd.com/DMC/pages/vinview_totals_spec.asp?vinstart=14). Tried, but have not heard back yet from VB.

Thomas

Coulombe
09-19-2019, 09:58 AM
I know I haven't been on here or posting in a "LONG" time but today I have a little me time and decided to check in and I saw this thread. I just want to give a big shout out "THANK YOU ! !" to all of those here that gave me their referral. You folks are the best. I am glad I had the honor to meet some of you in person. I have meet some of you at Events, Shows, Comic Cons and some of you have come to visit with me at my shop/office in Oviedo Florida. I hope I have the pleasure to meet with many more of you in the soon future.

We have been staying very busy with builds, events, special appearances and our families. We just shipped two DTM's out this past May 2019. One to Dallas Texas and the other to the Volo Auto Museum in Chicago Ill.

We currently have three Delorean conversions in our facility we are working on to become Time Machine replicas and one more that as soon as I can find a project Delorean (don't need the engine/trans) we'll have our fourth.

SO-ooo-oo-o, anyone that can provide me with a lead to a 1981-83 in good shape inside, outside and underneath with a grey interior, with trans and engine or without for less than $20k, I will pay a $1,000 dollar referral fee if I purchase it. Contract me at: [email protected]

Thomas, I'll get those vin #'s to you after I have purchased the fourth Delorean.

Thanks again everyone !

videobob
09-20-2019, 02:02 AM
This is Videobob, from Bob's Prop Shop.
We have been busy building cars, we are about to deliver our 30th Delorean Time Machine replica.
I can only invite people to look at the photo albums of each of the 50+ builds we have done on our Facebook.
We have delivered cars as quickly as 2 weeks for VIP celebrities and have done many other requests.
We are at the point in this business where there are many suppliers who are providing out sourced parts, so the playing field is getting more and more level as many of us begin to use some of the same parts.
Which is a good thing for you as a customer.
It's really up to you what you want, that said, I do not accept special requests that deviate from the original style of the car, we strive to do them as screen accurate as possible.
Have a look at our photos and send us a note.
Thanks.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/bobspropshop/photos/?tab=albums&ref=page_internal

Coulombe
09-27-2019, 05:03 PM
Just wanted to post that I am no longer in need of a Delorean for a prop Time Machine. I want to thank Citizen (Thomas) for giving me a nice deal on his car. Your car is going to a nice celebrity's home.

We now have four DTM builds in the works, one is getting shipped out the second week of October and Thomas D should be delivered by the second week on October, great timing!

videobob
03-26-2020, 10:36 AM
In the 15 years of building these cars, a lot of people have come along and tried to jump on the band wagon and in an effort to steal customers away and would sling mud and insults, I was a part of that too.
I no longer do that, I won't talk about my competition publicly.
I have a good relationship with most all of the builders except for one.
I also worked with the restoration of the screen used car and my name was notated on the "Thank you" plaque.
I would also add that I am a registered and active vendor with Universal Studios and carry a 4-million dollar insurance policy to with them (and Sony).
When Bob Gale's production of "Back to the Future - The Musical" needed props, they called me and I provided them.
I also just delivered the replacement Delorean Time Machine to Universal Studios in Orlando, please go check it out and see the quality of our work.
We have sold 33 Delorean Time Machines and own our building, a 5000 sqft facility with a full staff that works building these cars full time, 5 days a week.
This is not a part time job or a hobby for me.
I have been the subject of news stories on ABC Nightline, Discovery Channel's "Auction Kings", History Channel's "Pawn Stars" and our own
television series on the REELZ Channel "Screen Machines" (also seen internationally on Discovery Turbo, DMAX, etc.)

I personally toured the country in a truck with a flashlight and gloves and went to every single existing surplus electronics shop left in the USA and searched their
inventories and bought out all of the last remains of the stock of parts used to build these cars.
I am the only one capable of building these cars the way I do simply because other people can not get those parts, they either have replicas they made themselves
or copies of my parts they obtained, or they use a similar off the shelf part from Home Depot, etc.

There is a reason why Universal Studios, Sony, the creators of the franchise, major museums, theme parks, television shows and movies all call me and not others is because
we deliver a quality product quickly, on time and without exceeding the budget.
Complaints I have heard from other owners of competing cars are that the "builder" asked for more money, more time, etc.
If it's too good to be true, it probably is.
This is why the builds I do are listed on our facebook with time-stamped photos to show the progress in real time.
My clients fly into Dallas, I pick them up in a Rolls-Royce Phantom and give them a tour of the shop, our work and our cars
and in many cases I personally deliver the car and spend time with you showing you how everything works.

All you have to do is google my name, "Videobob", check out my Facebook pages, YouTube, news and TV articles, etc.
You will find my IMDB credits, videos and long history.
So these are things to consider when buying a car.

I hope this wasn't too pompous and bragging, but credentials and facts are how I do business, I am proud of my achievements and I don't begrudge others for trying to do what I do.
Competition and free market is the American way. It's up to you where you want to spend your money.
When you are ready to commit to owning one of the best built and accurate Delorean Time Machine Replicas that money can buy, call me.

nullset
03-26-2020, 03:10 PM
I personally toured the country in a truck with a flashlight and gloves and went to every single existing surplus electronics shop left in the USA and searched their
inventories and bought out all of the last remains of the stock of parts used to build these cars.
I am the only one capable of building these cars the way I do simply because other people can not get those parts, they either have replicas they made themselves
or copies of my parts they obtained, or they use a similar off the shelf part from Home Depot, etc.

That's not exactly something to brag about. "I BOUGHT ALL THESE THINGS SO THAT NO ONE ELSE COULD HAVE THEM" does not exactly make you sound good to anyone in the prop building community.

Mark D
03-26-2020, 04:06 PM
..blah blah blah blah...

TLDR:
"I'm kind of a big deal... I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany."

EngineerGuY
03-26-2020, 04:40 PM

MrChocky
03-26-2020, 06:47 PM
That's not exactly something to brag about. "I BOUGHT ALL THESE THINGS SO THAT NO ONE ELSE COULD HAVE THEM" does not exactly make you sound good to anyone in the prop building community.He stated in a video with the car wizard that many of the parts are now replica. I get it, they're stupid rare. But it's not really what he said here.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

M@rty
11-19-2021, 12:58 AM
I don't begrudge others for trying to do what I do.

Krikey, i have watched some of videobobs videos and tbh they have poor content...the dude could not even do an oil change with competence.....that said he aint a bad soul it seems but maybe he should do his talking on the dancefloor ... :-) or workshop and prove he does everything better than everyone.....videobob carly simon at your service https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isAUOa50wdA

What is he thinking with such comments..

Behave yourself for goodness sake bob....

cpistocco
08-30-2022, 11:27 PM
There are a couple of good guys doing conversions in the North East. Rhode Island- to be precise!

Coulombe
08-31-2022, 07:50 AM
It's now 2022 and a good used stock Delorean sells for on average $60K and I've seen some advertised for as high as $100k+ !!! Does anyone else here find this to be mind blowing, I mean really ??? In 2010 you could buy a good Delorean for about $18K. Great Scott.... who knew !!! 😱

Timeless
08-31-2022, 02:34 PM
It's now 2022 and a good used stock Delorean sells for on average $60K and I've seen some advertised for as high as $100k+ !!! Does anyone else here find this to be mind blowing, I mean really ??? In 2010 you could buy a good Delorean for about $18K. Great Scott.... who knew !!! 😱
Not too mind blowing for me. The 60s & 70s cars are dropping in $ since the people who want/wanted them are dying. The middle age people today want 80s & 90s poster/unique cars, me included, and as such those vehicle prices are on the rise. A reman D from DMC is $80-100K.
The demand is strong and as we all know the supply is limited.

ssdelorean
09-01-2022, 01:17 PM
TLDR:
"I'm kind of a big deal... I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany."

:rofl:

For anyone out there who plays the drinking game and wants to get sloshed real fast, just turn on a VBoob video or read a post and take a sip every time he says: "I" "me" "my" "myself"