PDA

View Full Version : General White Tire Paint - finally, a source!

sdg3205
05-28-2011, 02:17 PM
As some of you may have read, I came across a white tire paint. Not a crayon, a chalk or paint stick, an actual can of paint.

It's literally called "White Tire Paint" and it's produced in Iceland and distributed by what would seem to be only a handful of vendors world wide.

Unlike normal paint, it claims to be a type of liquified rubber that never really dries, so it wont crack or stain like normal paint.

For $20, you get a 250 ml can of paint and 2 pages of instructions. This price includes all shipping and taxes but works on the honor system whereby you have to send pictures of your finished vehicle back to Mike (the vendor) upon completion. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

His name is Mike and his email address is mikereeves​@sharkiesde​signs.ca
. He's based out of Ontario, Canada.

I'll be the guinea pig on this one and let you all know how it turns out.

Hope this helps all the RWL fanatics like me out there!

Cheers,

sdg3205
05-31-2011, 12:01 PM
This paint is so far pretty great. Application is easy but time consuming.

They recommend 3 coats of paint, each 24 hours apart with an additional 24 hours for the last coat to dry before driving the car.

You basically need to designate 4 days to painting your tire letters. The first coat is the most time intensive with each consecutive coat going on a little quicker.

By the time I'm done, I will have painted the tires 18 times; 3 times on each tire with old crappy model car paint on two different occasions (due to browning and cracking) plus the 3 coats per tire with this real tire paint.

I'll post some pictures on Thursday after they're done.

Domi
05-31-2011, 03:48 PM
I'll post some pictures on Thursday after they're done.

Thanks, can't wait to see the result.

uhhair
06-10-2011, 12:25 PM
any pictures of the final results?

sdg3205
06-10-2011, 03:21 PM
I'll take some this weekend. I might even do a 4th coat.

So far no cracking or browning!

micmak
06-11-2011, 06:03 PM
Hi Dave,
This is interesting. I have been looking for something like this for years and years. What is the guy's addresss again? It came out funny in your first post:
mikereeves​@sharkiesde​signs.ca
Dunno what those square box things are meant to be. Do you happen to know where exactly this guy is located? Maybe a drive to his place on a Saturday might be worthwhile for me.
BTW hurry up with those pics!!!:)

Thanks.

......Mike......

sdg3205
06-11-2011, 06:42 PM
I'm working on it!

That email address shows up fine to me.

He's in Mount Albert.

sdg3205
06-22-2011, 01:23 PM
So after 3 coats and three weeks (give or take a few days) here are my thoughts. Bare in mind this is the BARE minimum the instructions call for.

1. The paint "dries" to a finish that feels exactly like rubber. +1

2. It browned gradually, which was disappointing - though not nearly as bad as the other paints which eventually were almost as black as the tire. 0

3. With the browning, it looked more like brake dust, which made the front tire appear to be dirty when it wasn't. -1

4. When washing the tires, you don't need to baby the painted areas for fear of the paint coming off. +1

5. This is the the only paint thus far that has not cracked and chipped on me. +1

I'm now applying another 3 coats. My hope is that eventually I'll reach a point where the browning stops and I'm feeling good about this.

Pictures in a couple days. I promise!

cheers!

micmak
06-22-2011, 01:56 PM
Keep us updated, Dave. This is interesting.

......Mike......

jmrydholm
06-22-2011, 02:12 PM
That sounds pretty cool. I've got Goodyear Eagle GT-II's on the rear tires of my D. I wouldn't mind touching up the whitewall lettering.

GS450-Junkie
06-22-2011, 04:32 PM
is it really that hard to upload pictures ? It would make this mucccccccch more interesting.

sdg3205
06-22-2011, 04:51 PM
is it really that hard to upload pictures ? It would make this mucccccccch more interesting.

Sorry. We're in the process of moving, everything is in boxes and my camera phone won't do it justice.

Hang tight.

sdg3205
07-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Okay,

It's not a great picture, but the 5th coat of paint seems to be holding it's own. No more browning thus far.

This is from a photo shoot on tuesday. More pics to come.

GS450-Junkie
07-09-2011, 10:29 AM
I appreciate your awesome photo taking skills.... but can you give us a close up...maybe in color ?:Headspin:

sdg3205
07-09-2011, 05:24 PM
I appreciate your awesome photo taking skills.... but can you give us a close up...maybe in color ?:Headspin:

Hah, yes, totally.

I'm waiting on the photos to come back. He did it for free, so I'm not pressuring him to get them to me.

john 05141
07-11-2011, 05:34 AM
Did you take those wheels of to paint the letters?

I like the white letters, is a bit more sporty, but I'm affraid to
do this as well, I do not want to over do it.
And only the rear tires... I do not know yet.

John

sdg3205
08-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Okay, it's only taken me a few months!

At least you can be sure I've done some decent field testing!

Here are some from close up and further back.

Up close you can tell it's paint, but from standing next to them you'd never know.

You need to look to notice.

I love it

sean
08-06-2011, 08:27 PM
Okay, it's only taken me a few months!

While not a fan in general, those look sharp! Good job man.

sdg3205
08-06-2011, 08:29 PM
While not a fan in general, those look sharp! Good job man.

Thanks, Sean!

GS450-Junkie
08-06-2011, 11:50 PM
They look good. Now you'll have to post pictures maybe in the fall for an update.

sdg3205
05-13-2012, 08:29 PM
So after almost a year I've had some adhesion issues. I've also discovered that the more sun that hits the tires the quicker they brown which would explain why the paint job lasts all winter with little issue.

I'm going to get a special rubber bonding prep agent and try this again. I love rwl so I'm not about to give up.

uhhair
05-13-2012, 08:32 PM
So after almost a year I've had some adhesion issues. I've also discovered that the more sun that hits the tires the quicker they brown which would explain why the paint job lasts all winter with little issue.

I'm going to get a special rubber bonding prep agent and try this again. I love rwl so I'm not about to give up.

I bought this paint, and I had the EXACT same issue. Mine was fine when I painted it in the garage, soon as I took it outside, it turned dirt brown. I washed and scrubbed it, still brown.

At this point, I really don't think that it's the prep work. I literally put on FIVE coats of it, there is no way it should yellow through all that.

I've moved on to trying exterior white house paint. RWL paint sucked for me, I'd pass on it people.

sdg3205
05-13-2012, 08:35 PM
Yeah. It's not a quick or easy once and done job.

I'll keep everyone posted on my results since there has got to be a way.

sdg3205
06-03-2012, 10:03 PM
I win.

A few weeks back i took one more stab at my white tire paint. I went to Home Depot and bought some "Problem Solver" primer. It claimed it could bond to almost anything and prevent staining and bleed through.

I peeled off as much of the original tire paint as I could, cleaned everything and prepared the surface and did two coats of the primer. I then did one coat of the WTP. They looked great, and two full weeks later they haven't even browned in the slightest! I think I may have won this battle.

When I have time, I'll do two more coats of WTP just to be safe.

uhhair
06-03-2012, 11:14 PM
I win.

A few weeks back i took one more stab at my white tire paint. I went to Home Depot and bought some "Problem Solver" primer. It claimed it could bond to almost anything and prevent staining and bleed through.

I peeled off as much of the original tire paint as I could, cleaned everything and prepared the surface and did two coats of the primer. I then did one coat of the WTP. They looked great, and two full weeks later they haven't even browned in the slightest! I think I may have won this battle.

When I have time, I'll do two more coats of WTP just to be safe.

I'll have to try this on my tires. Wonder if I can just put the primer over the coats of paint already on though? I have like 4 coats on, would hate to have to tear all that off first.

sdg3205
06-03-2012, 11:26 PM
I'll have to try this on my tires. Wonder if I can just put the primer over the coats of paint already on though? I have like 4 coats on, would hate to have to tear all that off first.

I'd imagine if it's not peeling it shouldnt be a problem. just wash well with soap and dry for 24 hours.

sdg3205
08-30-2012, 12:09 PM
Update.

The problem solver primer solved 90% of the issues I was having. No more browning. Period! The white stays white.

I saw about 10% of the paint peel back. You'd never notice it unless you looked for it.

This is with about 2000 miles one the car this summer in pacific northwest conditions.

I think this is about as good as its going to get, given you're painting oily rubber that constantly gets shifted around, bent, warped and stretched as you drive.

Conclusion - the primer/paint combo works best, but if you want it to look show quality be ready to repaint your tires once a year, probably in the spring. I'm happy with this.

My system - 2 coats of the primer and 4 coats of the paint.

cybercusp
08-30-2012, 12:43 PM
I found this.

www.ironcrossinnovations.com

I may go this route.

sdg3205
08-30-2012, 12:44 PM
I found this.

I may go this route.

Now, THIS is cool.

cybercusp
08-30-2012, 01:05 PM
I agree. And guaranteed for life. I"m going to order a set for my motorcycle tires. I have an 85 Gpz900 that would look cool with these. I'll get some pics up when I get them in! If they work as well as I think they will I'm going to get a set for the DeLorean.

jawn101
08-30-2012, 01:11 PM
Their gallery is pretty impressive. It looks like a good solution, if only we could economically source correct looking replacement tires!

I bet Dave will be trying this out soon as well... :)

Dangermouse
08-30-2012, 04:59 PM
Sounds too good to be true.

Look for their infomercial coming soon :0

sdg3205
08-31-2012, 01:02 PM
I bet Dave will be trying this out soon as well... :)

Hahahah. Yyyyyyyyeaaaahhhhh..... probably! Think this calls for a signature alteration...

sdg3205
03-13-2013, 02:01 PM
I found this.

I may go this route.

Any updates on this product? Durable?

Jimmyvonviggle
05-27-2013, 10:06 PM
Has anyone tried using plastidip paint on their tires? I would like to create a wide white wall for my 51 pontiac.

dvonk
05-28-2013, 08:33 AM
Has anyone tried using plastidip paint on their tires? I would like to create a wide white wall for my 51 pontiac.

nice, i had a '52 Pontiac for a while. :biggrin:

sdg3205
05-28-2013, 02:12 PM
I haven't heard any updates on other products.

I sill use the white tire paint. It needs a repaint once year in the spring, but lasts the driving season. It takes 45 minutes to repaint every year, which isn't bad.

Jimmyvonviggle
08-14-2014, 09:08 AM
Just wanted to update this thread with my findings. I painted some tires a few months ago before the summer. It is now August and the Plastidip I used has yellowed. Also priming the tires first before applying the Plastidip in an attempt to keep it from yellowing also didn't work. And another problem with the primer is that it is not flexible so it tends to crack.

Trstno1
12-04-2014, 05:36 AM
I found this.

I may go this route.

Was there any update on this yet?

I just ordered a set of those Cooper Cobra fronts from Josh and was thinking of painting them, though this other route sounds pretty cool!

Josh
02-27-2015, 01:38 PM
Also chiming in here. I replaced my rears to a matching set of coopers, but the fronts are black walls. Need to figure out something before a show on March 14!

Trstno1
02-27-2015, 03:41 PM
Also chiming in here. I replaced my rears to a matching set of coopers, but the fronts are black walls. Need to figure out something before a show on March 14!

I used the tredwear on the front tires and they turned out great!

Josh
02-27-2015, 05:26 PM
I used the tredwear on the front tires and they turned out great!

WOW!!!! that looks great. where did you get this exactly, i want them to take my money immediately haha.

Trstno1
02-27-2015, 06:54 PM
WOW!!!! that looks great. where did you get this exactly, i want them to take my money immediately haha.

Tredwearletters.com