PDA

View Full Version : Who is Jerry Rhine, who worked at KAPAK in Columbus, OH until DMCH bought inventory?

DeloreanJoshQ
09-28-2011, 02:05 PM
Who is Jerry Rhine, who worked at KAPAK in Columbus, OH until DMCH bought the inventory?

I parked my car at work a while back and someone stopped in and told me they were friends with Jerry and that he worked at KAPAK, brief history, etc. The person also said that Jerry had a bunch of parts and several Deloreans and sold them on the side. He even gave me a number to reach Jerry at.

So I called Jerry and he confirmed the story. I asked him about parts for sale, which he said he was interested. He gave me his email and I sent him a list. I let a few weeks go by and decided to call him back after not hearing from him.

I called today and asked him about the parts and he said, "Yeah, I just haven't had the time to get back with you, but you're probably not going to want to pay the prices that the parts you had on your list are worth" , I asked how much and he said "$6000-$7000". My list included several smaller cosmetic items and I also asked about any interior parts.
I asked him for individual prices and he kept saying, "they're very expensive...they don't make them anymore, only reproductions..."

Finally I asked, "Do you want to sell the parts or not?, otherwise I will leave you alone", he said, "Oh yeah, I do, but they are very expensive"

I asked if they are very expensive, who does he sell to and he said "Ebay"

I told him I would be interested in the breakdown of prices and he kept saying, "OK, ok, ok" as if we would both be wasting our time going any further after he said he is interested in selling....

If you tell someone you have parts and want to sell them, but then tell that same person that the parts are very expensive and basically out of reach...it kind of makes you wonder....

I don't expect to hear back from him and now could care less; I'll wait for the estate sale.....if he is truthful. I was trying to show interest and be nice and he rubbed me the wrong way after this last conversation....

I had heard some rumors about him and his practices at KAPAK and just wondered if he really has a bunch of parts and cars or not.

Iznodmad
09-28-2011, 03:18 PM
I think this is "snowmangolfer" on Ebay. I haven't seen anything for sale from him in a long time on Ebay. I purchased a few things from him in the past, prices were a little high, but reasonable at that time. Apparently he feels differently now. I think his son used to help him out selling things from time to time. I may be getting my stories mixed up, but this is what I seem to remember. It has been at least 8 years since I have heard anything from him/them.

Nicholas R
09-28-2011, 04:36 PM
Josh, you know Ken Knowlton here in Cincinnati? He and his father bought their car from Jerry Rhine back when KAPAK was in business.

DeloreanJoshQ
09-29-2011, 12:26 PM
Josh, you know Ken Knowlton here in Cincinnati? He and his father bought their car from Jerry Rhine back when KAPAK was in business.

Yeah, I heard about Ken buying his car from KAPAK.

Apparently the parts are worth more to Jerry right now than to anyone else....

Oh well, maybe he will change his opinion later on....

Nicholas R
09-29-2011, 02:04 PM
Hopefully, nobody's going to be willing to pay the "sentimental" value of a part, haha.