PDA

View Full Version : How To: Checking timing (timing is everything)

cpistocco
11-10-2019, 10:38 PM
Credit to David T for this-

If you need the step-by-step procedure( for checking engine timing) here it is:
Disconnect and plug the vacuum line to the distributor vacuum advance capsule.
Clean the timing marks.
Connect to cyl #1
Start the motor and verify 13 degrees at 775 RPM's or less so the mechanical advance is not coming in.
This is in the Workshop Manual M:01:02
NOW increase the RPM's and check the timing.
At 1000 no advance
At 2000 10 degrees
At 3000 14 degrees
At 4000 20 degrees
These are of course + 13 so for example at 2000 you should see a total of 13 + 10 or 23 degrees.

Now go back to idle and apply vacuum to the vacuum advance capsule
At 5" 3 degrees
At 10" 12 degrees
At 15" 20 degrees.
Again, you need to add 13 to these #'s

Hook up the vacuum line.
These specs are on M:01:04
Add a couple of drops of oil to the wick under the rotor.
If you don't get these results you have to find out why and fix it. Without the proper advance (vacuum AND mechanical) you will not get all of the power you should have, the motor will overheat and knock, and your gas mileage will be low.

Thank you David T for making this information available. Following this should insure both mechanical and vacuum advance are working as they should.

David T
11-19-2019, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the credit. As posted, this is all in the Workshop Manual, I just made it a little simpler to understand. To add to this you should also be checking the vacuum advance system which includes the vacuum solenoid and the vacuum valve and hoses.

cpistocco
11-20-2019, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the credit. As posted, this is all in the Workshop Manual, I just made it a little simpler to understand. To add to this you should also be checking the vacuum advance system which includes the vacuum solenoid and the vacuum valve and hoses.

You're welcome.... I thought that this would be a nice place for the info.
And- Yes...for sure... My vacuum solenoid was allowing vacuum to the distributor at idle. Wreaked havoc with my acceleration from dead stop....and my idle.

Helirich
03-20-2021, 05:58 PM
It would be nice if you would state where cylinder #1 is. I can't believe how many places I've searched and not found this info.

Ron
03-20-2021, 06:07 PM
In the WS Manual C:07:07

Helirich
03-20-2021, 06:30 PM
Thankyou, I have the workshop manual and couldn't find it. I'm going to the garage right now and see why I don't have the diagram. (More likely, how I missed it) It's funny, I found instructions that said use #1 or #6, but no diagram.

82DMC12
02-01-2022, 02:49 PM
Thankyou, I have the workshop manual and couldn't find it. I'm going to the garage right now and see why I don't have the diagram. (More likely, how I missed it) It's funny, I found instructions that said use #1 or #6, but no diagram.

The cylinder numbers are also cast into the valve cover