PDA

View Full Version : New to Atlanta area

delorean16438
09-30-2011, 06:05 PM
Good afternoon,

I just moved to Douglasville Georgia from Indianapolis, Indiana. I would like to connect with local owners in the area. I see the SEDOC in Facebook but not an actual club page. Let me know how to find events to participate. Thanks

Ron
09-30-2011, 08:16 PM
:welcome:

You are just in time to weigh in on the next SEDOC meet.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?1636-Time-for-a-meet

Dangermouse
09-30-2011, 08:25 PM
Welcome, anonymously named person. There used to be another D out in Douglasville.

As Ron said, as I was busy copying the link, we are trying to arrange something in the N Georgia mtns this month.

This is the place where most of the scheduling is done.

sean
09-30-2011, 10:01 PM
Welcome! And I'm sorry if you're a Colts fan, I fear it's going to be a long year for them.

DeLorean6934
10-22-2011, 08:42 AM
I'm in austell by six flags!

ccurzio
12-14-2011, 09:44 AM
This isn't completely off-topic, but does anyone know of a decent place around this are that can adjust the torsion bars on my car? My doors are sagging badly, and I just replaced the struts.

sean
12-14-2011, 10:28 AM
While I would strongly suggest you wait til Spring, I'm up in beautiful Dahlonega if you care to make a visit or I could schedule a house call in the next two weeks. But again, I'd consider waiting til Spring.

ccurzio
12-14-2011, 10:33 AM
While I would strongly suggest you wait til Spring, I'm up in beautiful Dahlonega if you care to make a visit or I could schedule a house call in the next two weeks. But again, I'd consider waiting til Spring.

That'd be great actually. You're just a short ride up 60 for me. (I live in Gainesville.) Do you have a shop? Can you do more than just torsion bars?

Also, why would I want to wait until spring? Temperature effects on the action?

sean
12-14-2011, 10:40 AM
Do you have a shop?
Kinda

Can you do more than just torsion bars?

Yes

Also, why would I want to wait until spring? Temperature effects on the action?
Yes, cold effects the gas struts.

ccurzio
12-14-2011, 11:36 AM
Kinda

Yes

Yes, cold effects the gas struts.

Would it be worth it to make an adjustment now (so the doors can, you know, actually stay open) and then make another adjustment in spring?

I just can't stand that I have doors that won't stay up/open. It's terrible, and it'd be worth making two adjustments if necessary.

sean
12-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Would it be worth it to make an adjustment now (so the doors can, you know, actually stay open) and then make another adjustment in spring?

I just can't stand that I have doors that won't stay up/open. It's terrible, and it'd be worth making two adjustments if necessary.

An adjustment can always be undone if come spring/summer it's to strong. Its sounding like yours is pretty bad. Was it droopy when it was warm out too?

ccurzio
12-14-2011, 12:24 PM
An adjustment can always be undone if come spring/summer it's to strong. Its sounding like yours is pretty bad. Was it droopy when it was warm out too?

I assume not, but I cant say for sure. I'm a relatively new owner and I've not had it in warmer months. (Another thing I'm not looking forward to since I think the AC is shot. That's why I asked if you did more than just torsion bars. Though I think I might just need refrigerant.)

I'm happy to make two trips to get this working properly. Where are you located and what do you charge for this work?

Dangermouse
12-14-2011, 12:26 PM
Kinda

:)

Yes

:notworthy:

maybe come to the Christmas lunch thing and we can at least look at them. I guess it's possible the new struts are bad, or blew out immediately.

sean
12-14-2011, 12:28 PM
maybe come to the Christmas lunch thing and we can at least look at them. I guess it's possible the new struts are bad, or blew out immediately.

This is a good idea. I could get an eye of what you have going on, make sure your bar ends are not rounded.

ccurzio
12-14-2011, 12:34 PM
Well it's not really the struts; they're fine. I had a pair on there from Special T that came with the car, but thinking they were the problem and not the torsion bars, I replaced them with a new pair from DMC. No such luck.

Here's what's going on: (This is with the new struts.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6V8h5Ijkh4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9etA07THzQ

The driver door is quite tolerable. It's the passenger door that's quite obviously the worst of the two. Stephen at DMC looked at the videos and said that the torsion bars need adjusting.

nullset
12-14-2011, 12:48 PM
I assume not, but I cant say for sure. I'm a relatively new owner and I've not had it in warmer months. (Another thing I'm not looking forward to since I think the AC is shot. That's why I asked if you did more than just torsion bars. Though I think I might just need refrigerant.)

I'm happy to make two trips to get this working properly. Where are you located and what do you charge for this work?

I can help you out with your A/C. I have an R12 service machine.

PM me for info.

--buddy

sean
12-14-2011, 12:57 PM
Well it's not really the struts; they're fine. I had a pair on there from Special T that came with the car, but thinking they were the problem and not the torsion bars, I replaced them with a new pair from DMC. No such luck.

Here's what's going on: (This is with the new struts.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6V8h5Ijkh4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9etA07THzQ

The driver door is quite tolerable. It's the passenger door that's quite obviously the worst of the two. Stephen at DMC looked at the videos and said that the torsion bars need adjusting.

Yeah, The driver's is ok for winter but the passenger's side is off a bit.

Iznodmad
12-14-2011, 12:58 PM
I just watched the videos. Do yourself a favor and don't continue to lift the door by those door handles after the latches release the door pins. I can only assume they are the original plastic ones and they can snap rather easily. If they have already been replaced by the metal ones, then disregard.

ccurzio
12-14-2011, 01:13 PM
I just watched the videos. Do yourself a favor and don't continue to lift the door by those door handles after the latches release the door pins. I can only assume they are the original plastic ones and they can snap rather easily. If they have already been replaced by the metal ones, then disregard.

They're plastic. Good tip, though. Thanks.

DL4567
12-14-2011, 03:33 PM
For cold weather (it isn't even that cold today - I assume you took the video when it was colder than now?) the doors should at least stay all the way up if you lift them to that position. The struts on my car are from DMCH and are 7 years old now. The doors will stay all the way up in the winter if placed there, but won't go there by themselves. In the summer, they still go all the way by themselves. So yeah, I think your torsion bars do need a bit of an adjustment.

sphiend
12-17-2011, 10:08 AM
For cold weather (it isn't even that cold today - I assume you took the video when it was colder than now?) the doors should at least stay all the way up if you lift them to that position. The struts on my car are from DMCH and are 7 years old now. The doors will stay all the way up in the winter if placed there, but won't go there by themselves. In the summer, they still go all the way by themselves. So yeah, I think your torsion bars do need a bit of an adjustment.

That pretty much describes my situation. I wanted a bit more lift in warmer weather for the wings-a-loft but did not want banging at top. I have picked up a set of the soft-lift struts in hopes that I can add a little more torsion. Perhaps I will attempt this at the next tech session.