PDA

View Full Version : General Rubber floor mats

jawn101
10-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Does anyone have a suggestion for custom rubber floor mats? WeatherTech doesn't make them (they would be my preference for a lot of reasons).

I did find that Hexomat claims to make them (http://www.floormatexpress.com/rubber_floor-mat-products/1981_delorean_dmc-12_hexomat.html) - does anyone have experience with these? Do they look decent? I want to get some floor mats but don't really want the DMC carpet ones as I think carpet mats tend to slide around, especially in the D.

Rich
10-06-2011, 10:51 PM
Have you seen OEM-style carpeted mats for the D. in the car? If the reason you want to move to rubber floor mats is to avoid floor mat movement then you might reconsider. The one thing they do NOT do is move around. They fill the relatively flat and well-defined footwells completely and can't really go anywhere.
If there is a problem with them it's that they are so tight-fitting and stiff that it takes some effort to roll them up and extract them from the car when it's time to clean them.

To answer your primary question I know of no custom-fit vinyl/rubber floor mats for D's.

jawn101
10-06-2011, 10:57 PM
I know Clint has them in 1768 but I never really examined them close-up. If they don't move around then that might be a good option :) I barely fit in my D as it is, and I know i'm pretty heavy on my feet getting in and out as a result, so I don't need the mats floating around underfoot. Especially when I'm trying to shift :)

One day you and I are gonna have to meet up, Rich...

dvonk
10-07-2011, 12:29 AM
...Hexomat claims to make them - does anyone have experience with these?

both Farrar and stevedmc have Hexomat floor mats (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?1487-Hexmat-for-cargo-area-Is-there-an-interest) in their DeLoreans... maybe they have something to add? :smile:

nofear365
10-07-2011, 08:22 AM
Have you seen OEM-style carpeted mats for the D. in the car? If the reason you want to move to rubber floor mats is to avoid floor mat movement then you might reconsider. The one thing they do NOT do is move around. They fill the relatively flat and well-defined footwells completely and can't really go anywhere.
If there is a problem with them it's that they are so tight-fitting and stiff that it takes some effort to roll them up and extract them from the car when it's time to clean them.

To answer your primary question I know of no custom-fit vinyl/rubber floor mats for D's.

I have these in grey and they are amazing!

At first I thought they would slip around but they dont. Once they're in they're in!

Farrar
10-07-2011, 10:25 AM
I live in a sandy and wet area and don't get to clean the inside of my car very often, so I really like the Hexomat floor mats.

Farrar

jawn101
10-07-2011, 10:39 AM
I live in a sandy and wet area and don't get to clean the inside of my car very often, so I really like the Hexomat floor mats.

Farrar

Do you have pictures of them in the car? I'd be curious. How do they fit? Do they have a deep lip around the outer edge or do they rely entirely on the hex structure to contain mess?

Farrar
10-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Do they have a deep lip around the outer edge or do they rely entirely on the hex structure to contain mess?

They're cut to fit, not molded, so the latter.

I used to have some pictures, but I don't know where they are right now. I may perhaps take some for you this weekend.

Farrar

jawn101
10-07-2011, 10:45 AM
They're cut to fit, not molded, so the latter.

I used to have some pictures, but I don't know where they are right now. I may perhaps take some for you this weekend.

Farrar

I gotcha. And I may perhaps thank you for your gentlemanly conduct and the photos should you decide to take them :)

Farrar
10-07-2011, 10:51 AM
I gotcha. And I may perhaps thank you for your gentlemanly conduct

:lol: Gentlemanly conduct may be the reason I may not be able to get any pics for you -- my girlfriend is back from a ten-day work trip and it's our fourth anniversary so I may have little time on my hands to vacuum out the car and take pictures! I'll do my best, though. :)

Farrar

stevedmc
10-07-2011, 11:14 AM
I bought my hex floor mats on eBay and love them. I think I paid about $65 (including shipping). It took a few days for them to ship but I think it is because he had to make/cut them.

I chose these mats because they are more ruggest than carpet. I can remove them from my car and pressure wash them without fear of them getting damaged by high pressure. I have also had several compliments on them without me even mentioning the mats to people.

They give the car and nice modern look and in my opinion the black floor mats compliment the grey carpet nicely.