PDA

View Full Version : How to hook up footwell lights to work off plungers?

fnzen
05-29-2011, 07:27 PM
OK I am dumbfounded. Trying to hook up LED to work off plunger and I can not figure it out.

So I just figured that I could tap into the black and purple blue somehow it works backwards to the plunger, door closed light on door open light off???

Can any one tell me which wires and where located to properly splice?

I posted in DMCHELP also but more folks over here.

Patrick C
05-29-2011, 07:57 PM
I ran mine into the big bulk of purple wires under the center console just to keep everything on the same circuit. Use the plunger as a ground.

fnzen
05-29-2011, 08:01 PM
so splice into the black wire going into the plunger and take hot from some other purple wire in the big purple bundle?

Patrick C
05-29-2011, 08:10 PM
so splice into the black wire going into the plunger and take hot from some other purple wire in the big purple bundle?

IIRC, this is what I did.

Chris4099
05-29-2011, 08:31 PM
Do you want both footwell lights to turn on with either door (like the dome lights) or have them go on one at a time depending on which door is open (like the door safety lights)? Remember this is a switched ground system meaning the lights always have power, it's then switched on the ground side. So to get them to work like the dome lights, you need to tap off their circuit (see my other thread). To have them work independently depending on which door is open, you can tap off the door plunger switches. For positive power, I recommend tapping off the courtesy light circuit (typically a purple wire), that way if you remove the #12 fuse to kill the lights (say for long term storage or maintenance), your footwell lights are turned off too.

fnzen
06-04-2011, 12:30 AM
Well guys it was pretty simple. Thanks Farrar for the dome light hint. the wires are plain as day to the right of the glove box going up into the pillar.

So I hooked up the red to the solid purple and the black to the purple w/white stripe and presto bingo they work the same as the dome lights , on when either door is open.

Pictures loaded out of order you get the idea.

stevedmc
06-04-2011, 09:34 AM
That blue lighting is beautiful.

Chris4099
06-04-2011, 11:03 AM
What's your VIN? Mine is 4099 and it has those wires tightly wrapped up and going directly into a harness a few inches after coming out of the pillar. I wonder if there was a change in later VINs??? I tried taking a picture, but couldn't get a good shot of it.

fnzen
06-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Vin 5133 the main harness bundle goes in between the glove and knee pad far right has the 3 wires going into the pillar.

Farrar
06-06-2011, 02:46 PM
Thanks Farrar for the dome light hint.

You're welcome! I'm glad it worked!

Farrar