PDA

View Full Version : Nissan trottle bodys on a Delorean

DARCOM
05-20-2021, 07:06 PM
I put Nissan throttle bodies on my DeLorean last year and thought I would post a few pics. I also made fresh new fuel rails.
While I was at it I also changed all my fuel hoses to braded nylon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4py3IccPTI&ab_channel=darcom111

Bitsyncmaster
05-20-2021, 07:58 PM
I like that setup because is removes the intake and W pipe. Was it hard to match mixture on both banks?

powerline84
05-20-2021, 08:53 PM
I like it. Cool set up bro

Helirich
05-21-2021, 10:54 AM
Definitely a very clean looking setup. Looks easier to work on. Is it running as good or better than stock?

DARCOM
05-21-2021, 02:39 PM
Definitely a very clean looking setup. Looks easier to work on. Is it running as good or better than stock?

I have been EFI for 13 or so years. Its was a night and day difference when I switched to EFI but my stock FI was not doing well at the time.
It has ran great ever sense the switch and im always trying to tweak it to get a little more ummmff out of it. Adjustability of the timing was to me
the thing that made it snappy and responsive over stock and the new throttle bodies just added to it. I need to dyno it again to see what it does now.

DARCOM
05-21-2021, 03:00 PM
I like that setup because is removes the intake and W pipe. Was it hard to match mixture on both banks?

I would have to test that. Right now I run the stock exhaust and would have to separate them and put 2 o2 sensors to check.
I did check the exhaust idle and multiple rpm with a temp gun and a FLIR and they were around the same temp.
Also they look like they have separate air in, but the IAC routed to the stock location should balance it.

DARCOM
05-21-2021, 03:08 PM
Here is a pic of the IAC routing.

D001264
05-21-2021, 03:12 PM
I have been EFI for 13 or so years. Its was a night and day difference when I switched to EFI but my stock FI was not doing well at the time.
It has ran great ever sense the switch and im always trying to tweak it to get a little more ummmff out of it. Adjustability of the timing was to me
the thing that made it snappy and responsive over stock and the new throttle bodies just added to it. I need to dyno it again to see what it does now.

Yes looks very nice! Interested in what you are doing for ignition and modifications to the stock timing.
Thanks for sharing your project!

DARCOM
05-21-2021, 04:04 PM
Here is the megasquirt ignition setup I run now and for the past 13 or so years.
I have a few timing profiles. Last week I just freshened all my timing stuff and made sure the crank said the same as the megasquirt as it changed a few deg over the years..

AdmiralSenn
05-21-2021, 04:09 PM
Awesome! I always wanted to try something like this. Neat to see it done and done well by the O.G. EFI wizard.

dn010
05-26-2021, 10:11 AM
Curious about how you protect your filters from rain/water? I have my filter exposed as well and had to build a plate above it to protect it.

DARCOM
05-26-2021, 02:59 PM
Curious about how you protect your filters from rain/water? I have my filter exposed as well and had to build a plate above it to protect it.

Right now I don't drive the DeLorean on days its going to rain. When I wash it I cover the filters with plastic bags.
I gave all of a lot of thought to all that and just got in the parts needed to build my cover for them. I will post a pic when I complete it.
Basically it will let in cool air in from the louvers but separate any water that try's to get to the filters and still make it super easy to get to
the belts if I need to.

Spittybug
05-29-2021, 02:26 PM
It's been 2 years since I sold my D, but if I were to ever go down the EFI route again, this is the setup I'd go for. I was always looking at a way to just modify the stock throttle body to accept a TPS and keep the stock horns to the manifold, but this is cooler if you have the means to fabricate the necessary brackets or adapters. I think I would also go with throttle body injection and do away with the fuel rails and injectors, simplifying things even more....

Josh
05-31-2021, 02:41 PM
Here is the megasquirt ignition setup I run now and for the past 13 or so years.
I have a few timing profiles. Last week I just freshened all my timing stuff and made sure the crank said the same as the megasquirt as it changed a few deg over the years..

It should also be noted you need to physically modify the distributor to run a 7 pin hei.

Bitsyncmaster
05-31-2021, 03:44 PM
It should also be noted you need to physically modify the distributor to run a 7 pin hei.

What does the 7 pin offer over the GM 5 pin?

Where do you get the 7 pin?

Josh
05-31-2021, 05:17 PM
What does the 7 pin offer over the GM 5 pin?

Where do you get the 7 pin?

it allows you to actually manipulate ignition timing via the ecu, not rely on the mechanical + vaccum advance like the stock setup even when using a 4/5 pin HEI

Bitsyncmaster
05-31-2021, 06:55 PM
it allows you to actually manipulate ignition timing via the ecu, not rely on the mechanical + vaccum advance like the stock setup even when using a 4/5 pin HEI

That is cool. I will have to read up on it.

FABombjoy
05-31-2021, 09:22 PM
"IN THEORY", only because I asked and the answer was "it should", you may be able to leave the distributor as-is and run it like a spark retard box. Your spark table would look a little odd but you'd gain some of the useful elements of spark control w/out physical modification. This would be great for island & BAE cars as you could match timing to load rather than RPM. Idle advance control too.

But I'd asked specifically about connecting the V/R pickup directly to the distributor rather than being handled via an HEI module though.

Bitsyncmaster
06-01-2021, 06:03 AM
"IN THEORY", only because I asked and the answer was "it should", you may be able to leave the distributor as-is and run it like a spark retard box. Your spark table would look a little odd but you'd gain some of the useful elements of spark control w/out physical modification. This would be great for island & BAE cars as you could match timing to load rather than RPM. Idle advance control too.

But I'd asked specifically about connecting the V/R pickup directly to the distributor rather than being handled via an HEI module though.

I did a little reading up on the 7 pin. It can adjust the advance by supplying a pulse width to an input pin and then the next spark is advanced or retarded according to that pulse width. With our odd fire engine your controller would need to know and adjust for the different spark locations on the odd fires.

DARCOM
06-01-2021, 12:07 PM
Just so everyone knows my distributor is locked with no advance or vacuum and is using the stock internal coil. Also my megasquirt runs ms-extera that has odd fire settings that supplies the HEI with the signal.

Spittybug
06-03-2021, 01:37 PM
Just so everyone knows my distributor is locked with no advance or vacuum and is using the stock internal coil. Also my megasquirt runs ms-extera that has odd fire settings that supplies the HEI with the signal.

I just did a quick tack weld to prevent the mechanical advance and disconnected the vacuum advance. I used the stock VR coil for signal into the MS, and the ignition coil was a Pertronix IIRC. Worked fine.

84Impulse
06-08-2021, 09:37 PM
Damn, Op, youre a savage. That looks amazing. Well-done.