PDA

View Full Version : How To: Rebuild Your Brake Caliper

DeCobra
10-13-2011, 02:38 AM
As always, if you have any questions, comments, concerns, or corrections, please let me know. :)

Thanks!
Dave

EDIT: PDF (http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=52054&d=1497489786)

TTait
10-13-2011, 01:43 PM
Thanks Dave!

DeCobra
10-13-2011, 06:40 PM
Thanks Dave!

No problem - glad I can help.

Should I post a how-to on rotors and wheel bearings as well? I am thinking that it is somewhat straight forward and not sure if anyone would be interested.

Cory W
10-13-2011, 07:00 PM
No problem - glad I can help.

Should I post a how-to on rotors and wheel bearings as well? I am thinking that it is somewhat straight forward and not sure if anyone would be interested.

If you've got it, post it, IMHO. It may show a technique or two that would make it simpler for somebody.

nelshaun
03-16-2012, 10:17 PM
if you don't mind sir please post how to replace the brake caliper (http://www.partstrain.com/ShopByDepartment/Brake_Caliper). I will replace my brake caliper maybe next week, it's better to have a guide. Maybe some people have a problem so it can be helpful.

ccurzio
03-23-2012, 10:49 AM
Is the original author of this document a member of the forum? I'd like to make a modern PDF version of this document, but I'd like the original author's permission first.

I don't suppose you're the Dave from the article, Dave?

dmcerik
05-10-2012, 10:19 PM
I followed the guide for a spare set of calipers I have. I plan on installing then along with new pads and rotors soon. If anyone is interested in a write up let me know.

82DMC12
05-11-2012, 12:08 AM
I followed this last weekend. Nice write-up. Only thing I would add is you have to bend the parking brake retainer tabs to unscrew the hinge bolts. Awesome guide though!

jawn101
05-11-2012, 10:57 AM
Clitn and I did my rebuild using this guide a few months ago as well. He had done his already so he didn't need a guide, but this got me started without him, and gave me some insight into what parts to have on hand before starting the job. Thanks for sharing! It's a lot easier than it looks and sounds, honestly.

Alves
05-19-2012, 07:55 PM
Quick question, when putting the brake calipers back together, there is an oddly shaped piece of tin. It has an arrow facing up (at least to me) but my instructions show it going down. Does any one know which way it would go.

Alves
05-19-2012, 11:16 PM
Quick question, when putting the brake calipers back together, there is an oddly shaped piece of tin. It has an arrow facing up (at least to me) but my instructions show it going down. Does any one know which way it would go.

After actually taking three seconds to do research, I've realized its the anti squeal shim.

http://store.delorean.com/c-298-6-1-0-front-brakes.aspx

As you can see its number 5, now on the actual item it has an arrow facing the other way. I know its a dumb question but should I still follow the diagram?

DMCMW Dave
05-19-2012, 11:36 PM
After actually taking three seconds to do research, I've realized its the anti squeal shim.

http://store.delorean.com/c-298-6-1-0-front-brakes.aspx

As you can see its number 5, now on the actual item it has an arrow facing the other way. I know its a dumb question but should I still follow the diagram?

The arrow should go in the direction the tire rotates.

DeCobra
01-06-2013, 10:40 PM
Hi - yes I am the original author of the article. Sorry for the delay in responding, I haven't been on the site in over a year...just too busy. :)

So what did you have in mind?

Cheers!

Is the original author of this document a member of the forum? I'd like to make a modern PDF version of this document, but I'd like the original author's permission first.

I don't suppose you're the Dave from the article, Dave?

ccurzio
01-07-2013, 10:21 AM
Hi. Thanks for coming back.

I'm wondering if you have the original photos. I can't really use these images since the resolution is so small, and I'd like to make a new PDF document for these instructions.

Thanks.

kings1527
01-07-2013, 12:17 PM

I'm wondering if you have the original photos. I can't really use these images since the resolution is so small, and I'd like to make a new PDF document for these instructions.

Thanks.

+1! Thanks!

DeCobra
01-21-2013, 08:45 PM
When I uploaded the PDFs to the site, it appears that they were compressed which reduced the detail/resolution. Anyone know how I can avoid this? Maybe this is an admin request.

I'll see if I can upload some higher definition photos, and I'll update the guide to include some of the feedback in this thread.

Thanks.

Ryan S.
01-31-2013, 02:14 AM
When I uploaded the PDFs to the site, it appears that they were compressed which reduced the detail/resolution. Anyone know how I can avoid this? Maybe this is an admin request.

I'll see if I can upload some higher definition photos, and I'll update the guide to include some of the feedback in this thread.
DeCobra,
If you email me your PDF files, I can try to post them for you. Let me know
Thanks

Henrik
02-21-2013, 03:46 PM
DeCobra,
If you email me your PDF files, I can try to post them for you. Let me know
Thanks

... and...?

Ryan S.
02-21-2013, 08:17 PM
Nothing, yet. Still waiting :dunno: