PDA

View Full Version : New windshields - update

DMCH James
10-13-2011, 11:25 AM
Here are some photos of the tooling created for the new windshields. We *may* have some in hand at the open house...

The first batch will be WITHOUT antenna, and based on demand and response, we'll get some antenna ones made.

James

stevedmc
10-13-2011, 11:35 AM
Is this some sort of tool for installing windshields for for actually building the dang thing?

DMCH James
10-13-2011, 11:59 AM
This is tooling and jogs for manufacturing...

James

dmcnorway
10-13-2011, 03:17 PM
Not meaning to "nit-pick" at all ...but...IMO it should be possible to get the new windshields with both the DMC logo and the Sekurit markings. That way it will look original.

Also, thumbs up for reproducing the DeLorean windshield :)

Best wishes
Stian B.
VIN # 06759

DMCH James
10-13-2011, 04:06 PM
You sure can, Stian! But there aren't a lot of buyers for $2,000 windshields....and because of the way certifications have changed over the last 30 years, the imprint could never look exactly the same, anyway. We've got the DMC logo on these and they're a whole lot less than $2,000!

James

Only1Balto
10-13-2011, 04:57 PM
Great job guys! Keep up the great work. Thumbs up!!!

dmcnorway
10-13-2011, 04:57 PM
I understand that having Sekurit making new windshields would be financially impossible, and there is probably some copyright issues regarding their name and logo. But if someone offered a cut-out template for the Sekurit marking thingy, possibly one could spraypaint it on?

Good job on having at least the DMC logo on the new windshields! Photo???
Where are the new windshields being made? Just curious...

Keep up the good work James! :)

Stian B.
VIN # 06759

You sure can, Stian! But there aren't a lot of buyers for $2,000 windshields....and because of the way certifications have changed over the last 30 years, the imprint could never look exactly the same, anyway. We've got the DMC logo on these and they're a whole lot less than $2,000!

James

DMCH James
10-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Legally, no - even with trademark issues addresses regarding SEKURIT the DOT and perhaps EU would have a problem with obscuring or changing the markings on a certified piece of glass. In practice, it would depend on the thoroughness of the inspector.

These windshields are made in Europe.

James

I understand that having Sekurit making new windshields would be financially impossible, and there is probably some copyright issues regarding their name and logo. But if someone offered a cut-out template for the Sekurit marking thingy, possibly one could spraypaint it on?

Good job on having at least the DMC logo on the new windshields! Photo???
Where are the new windshields being made? Just curious...

Keep up the good work James! :)

Stian B.
VIN # 06759

dmc6960
10-18-2011, 11:25 AM
Do these windshields have any IR or UV tint built-in?

Nicholas R
10-18-2011, 11:44 AM
I honestly could not care less about whether or not the windshield says "Sekurit." If you REALLY need those 7 letters on your windshield, here you go: http://www.delorean.com/store/p-10312-windshield-wo-antenna-no-blemishes.aspx

I think it's awesome that you guys are making new windshields. I definitely like the idea of new 2011 glass and I'll certainly be in the market for one.

Farrar
10-18-2011, 02:23 PM
I honestly could not care less about whether or not the windshield says "Sekurit."

+1

My windshield is chipped in many places and I look forward to replacing it with a brand new unit, especially if it has UV-protective tint.

Farrar

DMCH James
10-18-2011, 07:01 PM
Our first batch of new windshields has arrived today...

James

Nicholas R
10-18-2011, 09:52 PM

James

Sweet! Price?

TTait
10-18-2011, 11:30 PM
Sweet! Price?

82DMC12
10-19-2011, 12:07 AM

James

Still waiting to hear about IR and UV tint....

Andy

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

DMCH James
10-19-2011, 12:10 PM
These replacement windshields will have a retail price of $450 (just a bit more than the $416 that the old NOS units cost) and will come with a mirror pad at no extra cost.

Part number 110076

James

Only1Balto
10-19-2011, 02:12 PM
WOW amazing price!

Farrar
10-19-2011, 03:52 PM
Excellent, James! Bravo and many thanks!

Farrar

robvanderveer
10-19-2011, 04:09 PM
I've email Ed (from DMC Eu) yesterday and he said they will be arriving in Europe in 2 weeks time. That's very good because I've been waiting for a new windscreen since freakin' June.

Jeff K
10-19-2011, 04:23 PM
I honestly could not care less about whether or not the windshield says "Sekurit." If you REALLY need those 7 letters on your windshield, here you go: http://www.delorean.com/store/p-10312-windshield-wo-antenna-no-blemishes.aspx

I think it's awesome that you guys are making new windshields. I definitely like the idea of new 2011 glass and I'll certainly be in the market for one.

I totally agree! I could care less if it says anything at all. Give me a clean new windshield! Any word on price with antenna?

dmc6960
10-19-2011, 05:12 PM
I don't mean to be a nag, but the answer to my question possibly dictates my purchase of a new windshield.

I got a rock chip back in 2002 on the way to DCS. I've lived with it for 9 years now. My glass coverage deductible is $250. If I go ahead and spend that money along with the associated hassle of actually replacing the windshield, I really want it to be worth it for more than just the rock chip I've lived with for 9 years. If this glass has non-dimming tinting that can block out UV and IR like new cars can, I'd probably pay full price in a heartbeat. That tinting is the different between a cool car in the summer, and a COLD car, with perfect AC.

It is also known that this effectively blocks RF signals, making cellular service, radar detectors, and toll transponders ineffective. It is standard treatment however on these windshields to leave out a small portion of the tinting around the top and area around the rear view mirror just for these reasons.

A few quotes from glass companies...

Solar Management Glass/IRR Windshields - Infrared reflective glass is auto glazing with low-E. Windshields with IRR reflect sunlight, which significantly reduces the amount of sun absorbed into the vehicle. The resulting effect is a reduced load on vehicle air conditioning units.
---

– Comparison with ordinary windshield, SOLAR-X windshield has many excellent performances -

· Heat blocking feature: The LOW-E coated layer in SOLAR-X windshield can block 60 percent of solar heat energy, that decrease the load of automobile's air conditioning, which means improved for fuel consumption and reduced greenhouse gas emissions.
--

Earlier this summer, the California Air Resources Board (CARB) voted unanimously to require auto manufacturers to install low-e glass on all new cars sold within the state starting in 2012.

This type of glass is manufactured by many customers of Applied's Glass Coating Products division and is designed to help keep the interiors of vehicles cooler during the summer months, reducing the need for air conditioning, boosting fuel efficiency and reducing carbon emissions at the same time.

I agree its wonderful that DMC has been investing in new parts for our 30-year old cars. Its also great how in many cases newer technology has been incorporated into these parts to make them functionally better and hopefully last longer than their 30-year-old originals. I merely hope the re-manufactured windshield got the same treatment.

dmc6960
10-19-2011, 05:20 PM
Looks like the manufacturer DOES have what I'm looking for, but is it used in the current batch of windshields?

http://www.olimpia.com.tr/en/U113.php

Bitsyncmaster
10-19-2011, 05:21 PM
Jim that is exactly what I want. I will live with my pitted OEM windshield but the IR reflective would make me change it.

dvonk
10-19-2011, 09:05 PM

awesome! :thumbup2:

Farrar
10-19-2011, 10:00 PM
Put your toll tag in the rear panel glass above the pontoon.

Farrar

TTait
10-20-2011, 12:38 AM
Put your toll tag in the rear panel glass above the pontoon.

Farrar

It only takes one bozo to spot it and swipe it though. Another possible spot is under the cowl screen. If and when my windshield is next out I'll be mounting my gps antenna there...

BTW - I'm pretty sure my prius and chevy have this type of glass, and neither affects the RFID transponder I have. I'm sure it cuts the signal some, but enough to make a difference is argueable.

Bitsyncmaster
10-20-2011, 04:59 AM
It only takes one bozo to spot it and swipe it though. Another possible spot is under the cowl screen. If and when my windshield is next out I'll be mounting my gps antenna there...

BTW - I'm pretty sure my prius and chevy have this type of glass, and neither affects the RFID transponder I have. I'm sure it cuts the signal some, but enough to make a difference is argueable.

My GPS works in my daily drivers (sits on dash pad). I think the toll tags just use such a marginal signal that some done work there. You could get the tags that could attach to your front licence plate.

Farrar
10-20-2011, 09:43 AM
It only takes one bozo to spot it and swipe it though.

Oh, that's right -- I forgot that some folks attach them permanently. Most everyone I know has them attached with Velcro to their window, and they keep the tag in the glove box/under the seat/in the other car when they're not going to travel on toll roads.

I do like your solution of placement under the cowl, though -- if there's room for my windshield washer hose there's probably room for your toll tag. :)

Farrar

82DMC12
10-20-2011, 10:05 AM
Jim (dmc6960) is 100% spot-on about the glass. A/C cooling and sun damage has been a delorean problem for nearly 30 years. Why would someone go through the trouble of making new windshields without making them as modern as possible? I would pay a $500 premium for glass that reduces interior temps and allows me to run with less air conditioning. My windshield is pitted and I don't like driving at night with it. I want new glass.

If the new windshields don't have UV or ir tint, PLEASE give us the option to have it on the next run and I will gladly buy one. Im not paying $450 plus install just to remove pits. I want a real improvement at the same time. Lets make these cars as modern and reliable as possible!

Andy

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 using Tapatalk

DMCH James
10-20-2011, 02:27 PM
I wouldn't expect anyone to pay ANY amount to replace a pitted windshield. But when it's cracked, chipped or otherwise NEEDS replacement, this is the most attractive option. I'm in contact with the supplier to see what the details are on the specs of this glass.

James

82DMC12
10-21-2011, 10:27 AM
James, I agree it is great that we have glass that is better than the currently available glass. However, let's make it better than 1981 glass!! Even in 1981 reviewers were complaining about interior temps and marginal air conditioning. Modern glass can help remedy this and bring the car into 2012.

As part of my restoration im considering replacing all my glass so yes, I would replace glass Just because of pitting!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Farrar
10-21-2011, 11:53 AM
Even in 1981 reviewers were complaining about interior temps and marginal air conditioning.

I would like to see these reviews, please.

Farrar

Rich W
10-21-2011, 01:10 PM
After having driven to and from the DMCH Open House (in Texas) from Chicago
several times now, conditions: at night, in the rain, in a DeLorean with a pitted
windshield, driving straight through (16 hours, each way). A pitted windshield
is more than a slight distraction (add some big bug impacts) and it is a hazard.

Throw in some wiper scratches too and I am with Jim Reeve on replacement
even if the windshield is not cracked. 30 years is a long time for a windshield.

On a related note (after reading Jim's post), I thought about the major benefits
the UV barrier would provide for the DMC EV, both keeping the interior cool and
using less battery power to keep it cool, therefore, extending the car's range.
This would certainly be something to consider prior to the actual 2013 launch.

Later,
Rich W.

DMCH James
10-21-2011, 03:08 PM
These first reproduction windshields (9 pieces) have no additional UV/IR protection added to them. We're talking with them about finishing up this first order (91 more pieces) with the UV protection. So long as they don't drastically affect the price OR appearance, we'd definitely do it.

James

DMCVegas
10-21-2011, 03:34 PM
I would like to see these reviews, please.

Farrar

I'm gonna second that. Talking to both a Sales Manager and a Head Mechanic that worked at the same DeLorean dealership in Las Vegas they always said that the A/C in the desert was something that everyone who ever brought their cars back for service absolutely praised the car for in the desert heat. No other vehicle on the lot they sold ever had as efficient nor reliable an A/C as the DeLorean did at that time.

I'll take a DeLorean with large windshield and a small passenger compartment to cool over an SUV or van with cavernous space that can't cool down as fast any day.

Anyhow, it's a long ways off for me, but count me in as someone with a pitted windshield who'll be replacing one. I don't know if it was Sekurit's formula or something about the shape of the windshield, was but that glass will just keep chipping and chipping and won't crack. I've had tiny pebbles just bounce off with no harm, and the rocks that have chipped have caused cracks in other cars. It's nice for longevity to get a few thousand miles and years out of it, but 30 years has taken it's toll with just how many chips it's accumulated.

As long as it's got that DMC logo in the corner, I'm happy!

DMC5180
10-26-2011, 07:58 PM
:rock_on: James. :bigclap: Good thing they haven't made the the whole batch yet. I'll 3rd and 4th the need for extra heat protection. Door windows can be film tinted to help reduce heat, but not the Windsreen. Any added protect there is a huge bonus. I'm Also in the market for a windshield. I've been living with a Mirror mount cracked one for 17 years. I can wait a little longer for a truely IMPROVED windscreen.

DMCH James
10-26-2011, 08:05 PM
Again, if it costs significantly more or appears markedly different (which remains to be seen), that will be the only thing that I can see preventing this from happening. It's often a fine line between improving a part and maintaining the appearance.

An OT case in point is the center console armrest cover. There have been some discussions here about making a unit with two integrated cupholders (and eliminating the ashtray hole) or making one that appears completely original. The tooling to do both is cost-prohibitive considering the volume we predict for this part (in either version). Either way, there will some in the community who will be unhappy.

FWIW, as it is now, we're exploring a 'drop-in" replacement for the ashtray that will act as a single cupholder. But because of costs, that may also be impractical.

Jamse

DeloreanJoshQ
10-27-2011, 12:41 PM
These replacement windshields will have a retail price of $450 (just a bit more than the $416 that the old NOS units cost) and will come with a mirror pad at no extra cost.

Part number 110076

James

I need to replace my mirror because it has brown/orange border around the edges of the mirror glass. Is it possible to "unbolt" the original mirror and replace it with a new one just as easy, or do I have to completely remove the mount pad, clean off the old glue and re-attach a new mount pad?

DMCH James
10-27-2011, 01:24 PM
I need to replace my mirror because it has brown/orange border around the edges of the mirror glass. Is it possible to "unbolt" the original mirror and replace it with a new one just as easy, or do I have to completely remove the mount pad, clean off the old glue and re-attach a new mount pad?

Presuming your existing mirror is held in place with a pad like the originals, it should come off fairly easily. Clean the mounting square on the windshield, and the new mirror comes with a new pad already in position ready to "peel and stick".

James

dmc6960
10-27-2011, 01:35 PM
Is it possible to "unbolt" the original mirror and replace it with a new one just as easy

You can "unbolt" it carefully, as the plastic will deform and pop out of the socket. However when you put the new one back on, it is possible to break the dimming function, as it is a thin plastic piece your now pushing a lot of pressure against to reattach. It certainly can be done since thats how they were assembled, but I'm unsure which position is the proper one to be in to prevent breaking it. Perhaps best to practice on the bad one your removing. (Also best to further talk about this in a separate thread).

THANK YOU JAMES for perusing our inquires about a proper UV/IR tinted windshield.

Rich W
10-27-2011, 03:55 PM
7.2 Magnititude Earthquake hits Turkey (earlier this week).

Of course, as a first priority, our thoughts and prayers are with those who
have lost family and friends or have family and friends still missing after the
earthquake (7.2) and several major after-shocks (6.x), so I did not want
to ask a related question too soon, with respect to this serious situation.

Since there is some recent actitity on this thread, I thought I would ask
if there is any production impacts due to the recent earthquake and the
multiple severe after-shocks. I have no idea if this windshield factory is
in the earthquake zone, but many areas of Turkey have been impacted.

Just curious to know if additional production delays are to be expected.

Thanks,
Rich W.

DMCMW Dave
10-27-2011, 07:38 PM
You can "unbolt" it carefully, as the plastic will deform and pop out of the socket. However when you put the new one back on, it is possible to break the dimming function,.

And the windshield. Don't even try this. Replace the entire mirror using the tape.

DMCH James
10-28-2011, 03:54 PM
We're still waiting on word from them in this regard. Earlier reports said that they had no damage to their facility, but some employees were displaced and production would be disrupted while they took care of the essential needs of their workforce.

We still have a small quantity of these in Houston, and I expect further updates from Olimpia next week.

James

7.2 Magnititude Earthquake hits Turkey (earlier this week).

Of course, as a first priority, our thoughts and prayers are with those who
have lost family and friends or have family and friends still missing after the
earthquake (7.2) and several major after-shocks (6.x), so I did not want
to ask a related question too soon, with respect to this serious situation.

Since there is some recent actitity on this thread, I thought I would ask
if there is any production impacts due to the recent earthquake and the
multiple severe after-shocks. I have no idea if this windshield factory is
in the earthquake zone, but many areas of Turkey have been impacted.

Just curious to know if additional production delays are to be expected.

Thanks,
Rich W.

DMCH James
10-31-2011, 06:26 PM
Supplier states that they are back on track for production, and have sent a quote for the UV film additional cost. Honestly, it was so much higher ($1,000 windshields, anyone?) that I sent it back and asked for clarification.

James

We're still waiting on word from them in this regard. Earlier reports said that they had no damage to their facility, but some employees were displaced and production would be disrupted while they took care of the essential needs of their workforce.

We still have a small quantity of these in Houston, and I expect further updates from Olimpia next week.

James

DMCH James
11-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Confirmed the cost of the UV film and cross-checked with a couple other suppliers we had considered previously, as well. We're going to add ten pieces of the UV film windshields to our outstanding order yet produced, so we'll have them in a limited qty at a significantly higher price (~$1,000). As of right now, all of these UV units are to come to the US, but if anyone would like to get one via Ed at DMC (Europe), let me know. Ed is also getting some of the "regular" windshields, too.

James

DMC5180
11-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Did you ask why the added process is so expensive? Perhaps a high failure rate in the manufacturing process or something. Is it UV only? What about IR? Or is that the same thing?

DMCH James
12-28-2011, 12:46 PM
I'm told that it is UV only, and the UV laminating film is considerably more costly than standard laminating film.

The balance of the order will be ready next week, and we're having about 50 windshields shipped directly to Ed at DMC Europe and 50 or so shipped here to Houston.

At this time, ALL the UV windshields are coming to Houston - if anyone in Europe wants one, place your order with Ed NOW so we can get them directed from the factory to DMC Europe.

James

flyinglow
02-20-2012, 11:30 PM
Did these windshields ever arrive?

DMCH James
02-21-2012, 05:35 PM
Windshield update...

Each standard windshield has UV protection standard, as do all modern windshields produced today. These are priced at $450 plus shipping, includes a new mirror pad.

We also ordered a trial run of a UV/IR windsheld, which has an extra layer of PVB and PET film. From the supplier website:

The heat felt on human skins is reduced by lowering UV and IR permeability through reflection. In addition, in-cabin heat of a car parked under the sun is reduced when compared to a car using a standard product. The increase of the air conditioner performance ensures fuel saving while more comfort leads to driving safety. Penetration of solar energy through glasses can be prevented for up to 35% when compared to normal glasses.

These are $979 and include a mirror pad, as well.

Ed in Europe at this time is only stocking the standard windshields and probably has them in stock now, or late this week. We'll have ours here in Texas next week.

James

Ryan King
02-21-2012, 06:05 PM
Windshield update...

Each standard windshield has UV protection standard, as do all modern windshields produced today. These are priced at $450 plus shipping, includes a new mirror pad.

We also ordered a trial run of a UV/IR windsheld, which has an extra layer of PVB and PET film. From the supplier website:

These are $979 and include a mirror pad, as well.

Ed in Europe at this time is only stocking the standard windshields and probably has them in stock now, or late this week. We'll have ours here in Texas next week.

James

James, were you able to get the original DMC stamping put onto the Windshields?

DMCH James
02-21-2012, 06:27 PM
James, were you able to get the original DMC stamping put onto the Windshields?

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?1944-New-windshields-update&p=25533&viewfull=1#post25533

DMCH James
02-27-2012, 05:59 PM
One of the two crates that arrived at our Texas warehouse today!

We now have the standard UV and improved UV/IR windshields in stock - order online or call your nearest dealer...

http://store.delorean.com/search.aspx?searchterm=110076

James

stevedmc
02-27-2012, 06:24 PM
We now have the standard UV and improved UV/IR windshields in stock - order online or call your nearest dealer...

This is good news. I must ask a question though. It seems like months ago I heard a rumor the DMCH windshields would not be available for shipping and could only be purchased/installed and DMCH and its affiliates. Judging from your "order online" comment it sounds as if anyone can order a windshield. Is this true?

Edit: Oooooo. I just looked at the picture and I love how they have the silly little DMC logo. Very nice.

sean
02-27-2012, 06:27 PM
Edit: Oooooo. I just looked at the picture and I love how they have the silly little DMC logo. Very nice.

+1 great job guys!

dvonk
02-28-2012, 12:14 AM
nice, they look good!

id like to see someone who replaces their windshield with the UV/IR model take some in-cab temperature readings before and after replacement.

jawn101
02-28-2012, 12:21 AM
Awesome that you were able to get at least the UV coating in at this price.

Did the original windshields have any sort of UV coating at all? Or were they just plain safety glass?

Any word on pricing/availability of antenna glass for those of us who are terrified something will happen to their working original antenna windshields? :)

stevedmc
02-28-2012, 12:28 AM
I'm wondering if it would be difficult to get my insurance company to pay for a UV coated windshield. I don't need a windshield yet but eventually a rock is going to smash into it. I would love to replace it with something better than stock.

jawn101
02-28-2012, 12:32 AM
I'm wondering if it would be difficult to get my insurance company to pay for a UV coated windshield. I don't need a windshield yet but eventually a rock is going to smash into it. I would love to replace it with something better than stock.

If you have glass coverage, they will pay for it. You have the right to choose your shop and the right to opt for original or aftermarket parts as you see fit. However, you also have the right (responsibility) to pay the overage above and beyond what they determine to be a fair value for the replacement.

Since the OEM windshields are so expensive and the new repros will be the cheapest option, they would really have no choice but to accept the claim for the glass itself. They won't be able to call up the mobile Safelite truck and get a piece of glass that fits.

However, installation will be a hard sell. They will have fixed price agreements with the aforementioned Safelite guys, and convincing them that you have to take the car to the nearest franchise and have the glass done at what will inevitably be a much higher rate than a guy with a van that works in a parking lot, well... you may be out of pocket on that. Depends on your coverage level and the particular adjuster you get that day.

Worth every penny if you need the glass done though. I wouldn't trust anyone but a franchise with such an important job.

Nicholas R
02-28-2012, 02:37 AM
I know I would only have a DMC location change my windshield. I believe it was on the .com site that either James or someone else at a DMC location posted how it was crucial that when installing the windshield, the roof was properly supported from the inside of the car during the curing of the windshield glue. If I recall correctly the windshield itself plays a big role in the structure of the car.

dmc6960
02-28-2012, 08:30 AM
I will be getting one the the UV/IR Windshields and installing it myself. I will write up about the procedure when its done. Getting before/after temp readings may be difficult since there are so many variables that can change from day to day. To be really accurate, you'd need 100% equal days, and that will never happen as the earth is always moving in its orbit. But I'll do my best.

dvonk
02-28-2012, 10:04 AM
I will be getting one the the UV/IR Windshields and installing it myself. I will write up about the procedure when its done. Getting before/after temp readings may be difficult since there are so many variables that can change from day to day. To be really accurate, you'd need 100% equal days, and that will never happen as the earth is always moving in its orbit. But I'll do my best.

indeed, it would be hard to eliminate all the variables, but i will be interested to see your resulting data nonetheless.

...also your general impression of the units themselves. :smile:

DMC5180
03-10-2012, 03:21 AM
I will also be replacing with UV/IR glass in April at DMCMW.

Since I'm doing this sight unseen, I am wondering if the glass has a slightly darker appearance than stock glass. Just curious though. I'm putting it in regardless.

As for comparison testing, About the only thing that would work apples to apples is 2 Deloreans with the same interior colors parked next to each other. An even better test would be UV/IR windshield in a car that also has tinted door glass too see maximum differential temperatures.

DMCH James
03-21-2012, 12:25 PM
Dennis, the UV/IR windshield does have a yellow-ish cast to it. We've installed one in a car here. I'll get a pic of it today for you. The customer loves it, but he has told us that in addition to his toll-pass not working, his garage door opener doesn't, either. He has to roll the window down and stick his hand out with it.

James

DMCH James
03-21-2012, 12:28 PM
On the next batch of windshields, going into production very soon, we're looking at having some made with antennas. I do not expect the appearance and placement of the wires will mimic the originals exactly, but we're trying to get it as close as their manufacturing plans allow.

How much interest is there in these?

James

deloumis
03-21-2012, 12:37 PM
On the next batch of windshields, going into production very soon, we're looking at having some made with antennas. I do not expect the appearance and placement of the wires will mimic the originals exactly, but we're trying to get it as close as their manufacturing plans allow.

James

Do you have an estimate price? I'm in need of a replacement windshield, mine somehow cracked on it's first trip over 60 miles. I'm just not sure what option I should go with.

aludden
03-21-2012, 12:56 PM
I'm also interested in one with antenna, as long as it doesn't add too much to the price.
It's a trade-off of convenience (not having to install an external antenna) vs. price and getting better reception with an external antenna. I would not be interested in IR - double the price is too much for me.

jawn101
03-21-2012, 01:18 PM

James

+1 on the antenna. I consider myself fortunate to have an original and undamaged antenna windshield in the car right now, but past luck is no indicator of future performance - especially on California's highways. They are are rapidly becoming less of a paved surface and more of a loosely coordinated collection of boulders where slightly fewer plants grow than on the other side of the shoulder.

I would personally hate to have to install an external antenna again. The original glass actually gets decent reception in my case as well, so if I was going to do a replacement I'd want it to have the antenna in.

dmc6960
03-21-2012, 02:09 PM
Dennis, the UV/IR windshield does have a yellow-ish cast to it. We've installed one in a car here. I'll get a pic of it today for you. The customer loves it, but he has told us that in addition to his toll-pass not working, his garage door opener doesn't, either. He has to roll the window down and stick his hand out with it.

I would also be interested in this pic. I'm kinda disappointed the IR tint doesn't exclude a small portion at the top center just for toll transponders and garage door openers. When I was researching UV/IR windshields it was mentioned it is common to leave a small opening just for this purpose. I'm still planning on this windshield as well though once I get my insurance check in about a week.

Rich W
03-22-2012, 01:30 PM
+1 with interest in having the next batch of UV/IR windshields with an open spot
for I-Pass and garage door openers.

+1 with interest in both windshield antenna and UV/IR with open transponder spot
in the same windshield.

Options are good.

DMCMW Dave
03-22-2012, 08:22 PM
Options are good.

And raise the cost. :approve:

Nicholas R
03-23-2012, 11:31 AM
I'm interested in a windshield antenna. Mine has giant scratches in it from the previous owners dog. Never replaced it though because it has the antenna.

aludden
03-23-2012, 11:47 AM

James

Hello James, do you have a target date on getting the windshields with antennas? Are we talking a couple of months, or six months, or more?

stevedmc
03-23-2012, 11:49 AM
+1 with interest in having the next batch of UV/IR windshields with an open spot
for I-Pass and garage door openers.

I plan on doing my own customizing. All you really need is a diamond, some saran wrap, and glue.

dmc6960
03-23-2012, 11:58 AM
I plan on doing my own customizing. All you really need is a diamond, some saran wrap, and glue.

???

stevedmc
03-23-2012, 12:07 PM
???

Use the diamond to cut your own hole and cover it up with clear plastic.

DMC5180
03-25-2012, 01:55 AM

You May be A REDNECK IF: You plan on customizing your windshield with a Diamond, saran wrap and Glue.

James

Good thing Illinois I-pass has virtual tolling aka V-tolling. I have one transponder w/3 cars registered to it. You can have up to 4 on one transponder. I don't need the transponder in the car. The cameras automatically take photos of your plates and match them to the transponder. I've gone through the toll system a couple times without it. When I got home I checked my I-pass account and sure enough the tolls were registered as V-tolls using my License Plate.

As far as the garage door opener there may be ways around that too. I don't have mine mounted by the windshield and it works up to a block away without facing the the garage. Might simply mean I have to get creative with placement.

I am curious about the yellow-ish tint. Is this like those windshields you occasionally see with a gold-ish tint reflection? I alway thought the original glass had a bronze-ish tint.

I'm also curious to know if the UV/IR is surface applied or imbedded in the laminated glass?

DMCMW Dave
03-25-2012, 03:24 PM
[QUOTE=DMC5180;48235]I am curious about the yellow-ish tint. Is this like those windshields you occasionally see with a gold-ish tint reflection? I alway thought the original glass had a bronze-ish tint.
QUOTE]

Another difference is that there is no dark band across the top. It is entirely the same color.

Yours is here in the box, but I've decided not to temp fate by unpacking it and taking it outside to see the true color (I did make sure it arrived unscathed).

dmc6960
03-26-2012, 04:29 PM
Good thing Illinois I-pass has virtual tolling aka V-tolling. I have one transponder w/3 cars registered to it. You can have up to 4 on one transponder. I don't need the transponder in the car. The cameras automatically take photos of your plates and match them to the transponder. I've gone through the toll system a couple times without it. When I got home I checked my I-pass account and sure enough the tolls were registered as V-tolls using my License Plate.

Well, you may not want to make a habit of it. Considering your from out of state and aren't doing it on a daily basis your probably alright. While I was researching if the I-Pass works on the Florida Turnpike (it does not BTW, nor will E-ZPass users), I found this bit of information (emphasis mine)...

3. License Plate Transponder (LPT)

Less than 1 percent of vehicles have windshields or systems that interfere with transactions using the windshield-mounted transponder. In this case, a license plate transponder (LPT) is required, which mounts on the front bumper of your vehicle, is available for the same price as a standard transponder. Check the list of vehicles we've identified that require LPTs. LPTs are available at any Tollway Customer Service Center and can be ordered through the Customer Call Center.

In general, windshields that contain metal in the glass (metal oxide) and mirrors with compass or temperature readings may prevent the I-PASS signal from being read properly. Also, windshields with the following glass features may interfere with the I-PASS signal and require alternative or exterior mounting: solar ray, solar tint, heated, heat reflected, insulated, Insta-Clear. If you are unsure if your vehicle has one of these listed features, contact your car dealership.
Instructions for Mounting a License Plate Transponder (LPT):

Identify the back of the LPT by finding the arrows next to the mounting holes.
The LPT must be fastened to the front license plate using the plate's top mounting screws.
Use your license plate screws and the knock-out holes in the LPT case to fasten the transponder to your front license plate.

Unsuccessful I-PASS Transactions will be Vtolled

Video Tolls (Vtolls) are tolls that could not be deducted from your account at the time of the toll transaction. These are typically attributed to a missing, improperly mounted or inactive transponder. It is important to periodically review your account activity to ensure the transponder is functioning properly. Excessive Vtolls might result in penalties, so please mount your transponder correctly and ensure it is working properly.

DMCH James
03-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Hello James, do you have a target date on getting the windshields with antennas? Are we talking a couple of months, or six months, or more?

Probably early summer. Still deciding if we like the way it's going to look or not.

James

DMCH James
03-27-2012, 01:13 PM
I'm also curious to know if the UV/IR is surface applied or imbedded in the laminated glass?

It's part of the laminating film between the two layers of glass.

James

jawn101
03-27-2012, 01:13 PM
Probably early summer. Still deciding if we like the way it's going to look or not.

James

If you want any opinions, you know where to find us :)

Rich W
03-27-2012, 02:50 PM
Dennis - FYI - if you end up doing the V-toll option in IL too often, you will receive
an "excessive V-toll use warning". Sounds like "double secret probation" to me (LOL).

Not sure if there is a fine involved for excessive use without the I-Pass, but I have
never gotten more than one warning so far (and I have lots and lots of vehicles).

Later,
Rich W.

aludden
03-27-2012, 04:44 PM
If you want any opinions, you know where to find us :)

Not like we are opinionated or anything :)

jawn101
03-27-2012, 04:50 PM
Not like we are opinionated or anything :)

Never. But how many companies have such a huge number of their customers so readily available and willing to offer feedback as DMC does? :)

DMCH James
03-30-2012, 08:14 PM
We're getting one sample with an antenna in this next batch to test/check appearance. We hope to have it at DCS so people can see it in person.

James

DMC5180
04-01-2012, 12:40 AM
Dennis - FYI - if you end up doing the V-toll option in IL too often, you will receive
an "excessive V-toll use warning". Sounds like "double secret probation" to me (LOL).

Not sure if there is a fine involved for excessive use without the I-Pass, but I have
never gotten more than one warning so far (and I have lots and lots of vehicles).

Later,
Rich W.

Since I don't use the toll system to often it should not be an issue. Especially since they still get the money from the registered account. Of course now that the toll's have doubled I may try and avoid the system more often. Either that or they better get the stretch From I-39 to 294 resurfaced in the next few years to justify the increases.

dmc6960
04-03-2012, 02:24 PM
Just got a call from the shipping company, and my windshield will arrive this afternoon!

DMCMW Dave
04-03-2012, 03:24 PM
Just got a call from the shipping company, and my windshield will arrive this afternoon!

Make sure you unpack and check it ASAP, preferably in front of the driver if at all possible.

dmc6960
04-03-2012, 11:17 PM
Make sure you unpack and check it ASAP, preferably in front of the driver if at all possible.

Windshield arrived with no issues. Driver insisted on seeing it before he left. He said this was also his first windshield ever to be shipped laying down without breaking. Also learned that there are about 8 Tesla Roadsters in the Minneapolis area. His company does exclusive shipping for Tesla.

There is a sticker on this that says "UV Filmi". Knowing that all the new windshields have a UV tint, am I still safe in assuming this one is one of the IR ones? I can see what appears to be an additional visible tint starting about 1cm in from all edges.

Big kudos to James Espey for listening to our "popular demand" for having some of the windshields made with the UV and IR tint. I'm curious how many of the 10 which were made have been sold so far. I'm guessing at least three.

Hmm, upside down windshield anyone?

DMC5180
04-17-2012, 08:27 PM
Got the New UV windshield installed at DMCMW on Monday.

Garage door Opener works just fine in the location I have it. It's clipped to the back edge of the front head liner piece (centered between the seats)

Toll transponder doe not seem to work in the normal location. Usually I just lay it on the dash. However I did try holding it at the top of the Door glass when I went though one TOLL lane. I checked when I got home and that position did register. There were a few gates that did not show up so I'm waiting to see when the V-tolls show up.

Jim, ours are UV protected ones, the Standard Glass does not have the bluish tint film imbedded they are not UV protected. There was a standard one installed in car in Dave's shop. (Very nice Piece) those seem to have an ever so slight grey-ish tint. It has the dark tinted strip along the top which normally hides the visors when flipped forward and blocks the view of the underbody structure above the headliner. I may visit a tint shop and see if a gradient shaded strip can be place up there. You may want to look into that also before the glass is installed. Its a heck of a lot easier to do with the glass out of the car.

Temps today were fairly mild. I really didn't get a change to give it a definitive Hot test. One thing for sure though the sun still beats on you from the Door windows. I may need to look at getting those tinted now.

DMC5180
04-17-2012, 10:16 PM
Heres a link to neat company video showing some of the processes of windshield manufacturing.

http://www.olimpia.com.tr/en/kurumsal-film.php

DMCH James
04-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Here is the planned layout of the windshield antenna. While this does not match the original layout, except for location of the connector, it has been optimized for maximum reception.

First units are expected in July, pricing still being worked out.

James

jawn101
04-30-2012, 12:16 PM
Here is the planned layout of the windshield antenna. While this does not match the original layout, except for location of the connector, it has been optimized for maximum reception.

First units are expected in July, pricing still being worked out.

James

Looks good! Will having the antenna grid at the lower edge affect the placement/presence of the DMC logo in the lower corner?

DMCH James
04-30-2012, 12:35 PM
No, the DMC logo and manufacturer imprint will remain in the same position. Also, while the wires on right and left side and at the top can be seen from outside like the original, the wires at the bottom that help improve reception will be under the screen print and can not be seen from outside.

James

Squall67584
05-03-2012, 07:05 PM
Any temp tests now that its getting hotter?

DMC5180
05-03-2012, 08:43 PM
Nothing for me to report yet. We will see after the trip to Indy on the 12th. I can tell you there is still fair amount coming from the door glass. It will be influenced by that quite a bit. Perhaps a couple meat thermometers on dashboards of cars parked next to one another at an event will be the best test. I'm told the DMCEV has UV windshield installed. I don't know if it has Tinted side glass though.

DMCMW Dave
05-03-2012, 09:00 PM
I'm told the DMCEV has UV windshield installed. I don't know if it has Tinted side glass though.

Yes on both counts. Although it also has the first broken UV windshield. . . apparently caught a rock on the way here from New York (open carrier).

DMC5180
05-04-2012, 08:17 AM
Is it covered by the shippers insurance or is it considered random AOG? bullseye or line crack?

aludden
05-04-2012, 03:17 PM
No, the DMC logo and manufacturer imprint will remain in the same position. Also, while the wires on right and left side and at the top can be seen from outside like the original, the wires at the bottom that help improve reception will be under the screen print and can not be seen from outside.

James

Cool! I like that!

Alex

Rich W
05-04-2012, 03:27 PM
Dennis and others,

When I took a close look at the crack(s), it appeared as though a rock or some other road debris stuck the edge of the upper metal
windshield surround, between the point that the front edge of the metal meets the windshield area. Three or four small, split lines.

If there was a "blacked out" section at the top of the UV winshield (similar to other stock winshields), it would be difficult to detect
the crack(s) without looking more closely, but since it is nearly clear (with a light blue tint) the crack(s) appear more evident.

The crack(s) emminate from a single contact point and radiate out only an inch to three inches (per crack) as of now, but they are
likely to spead over time, since they are right near the center of the top of the windshield (passenger side of the rear view mirror).

Later,
Rich W.

Is it covered by the shippers insurance or is it considered random AOG? bullseye or line crack?

DMCMW Dave
05-04-2012, 03:31 PM

Looks to me like a rock hit it at the very top, but no marks on the header.

I have no clue about responsibility. But it's a good example of why I strongly recommend closed carriers.

Carriers are "insured" but good luck with that.

05-04-2012, 06:29 PM
Is there a picture of the new windshield with the cracked glass? Is it possible it cracked from stress or poor manufacture? Hopefully, this is not the case. I like the idea of newly manufactured windshields since OEM ones are very hard to find.

DMC5180
05-06-2012, 03:59 AM
I saw the the damage today. It's definitely an Impact of some kind. Their is a pretty good chunk out of it. But it's in an odd location. Partially hidden by the Header trim. Their is no witness mark on the header at all.

Update on UV glass blocking Toll pass transponders: I Confirmed, they don't work. I stopped at a IPASS Service center a couple weeks ago to look into getting the License Plate Mounted Transponder. The Unit is rather large and ugly compared to the windshield version. I opted not to get it. Last night the proverbial Light bulb went on in my head. Instead of mounting the transponder to the license plate why not near it. I took the windshield unit and temporarily secured (Taped) it to the back of the Grill insert (It's plastic). I went out of my way today just to try it out the tollway. It WORKED PERFECTLY mounted like that. So My garage door opener works and my toll pass works. That was easy.

dmc6960
05-15-2012, 01:29 AM
Installed my new UV/IR windshield today.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?241-What-have-you-done-to-your-DeLorean-today&p=56025&viewfull=1#post56025

Installation went pretty good. Did have to jack the roof a little over 1/2 inch to close the cap/even out the gap in the top center. Driver's door didn't latch the greatest after doing that, and I think my passenger door (which I've never been able to get great) lined up better! Hopefully I can adjust the driver's door to be as good as its been over the last 12 years.

Thanks again DMC for making these!

82DMC12
05-15-2012, 08:43 AM
Jim what do you mean by jacking the windshield?

dmc6960
05-15-2012, 08:51 AM
Jim what do you mean by jacking the windshield?

No windshields were jacked last night. Ha. No, I jacked up the roof. You know, the thing the DMC vendors say is a possibility you'll need to do when replacing the windshield but Bill adamantly seem to say that under no circumstance would you ever need to. I do agree its probably not necessary under all conditions, but I believe my roof to have sagged for a while now. The top center of my original windshield had in fact let go of the car. HUGE water leak under the right conditions. It also was probably one of the reasons I could never perfectly align my passenger door.

Jacking was accomplished using my daily driver's spare tire scissor jack and a few pieces of wood. Placed it on the bare console and lifted cautiously until the gap in the middle of the dry-fit windshield was at a minimum. I'd say it was between a 1/2" and 3/4" lift.

DMCH James
05-17-2012, 11:39 AM
The next batch of windshields are due in early next week, so we should have all backorders cleared by then.

In July/August, we will receive the windshield's with antennas.

Finally, we now include the front outer door seals (that have to be removed to get to the screws that hold with windshield reveals in place) with all windshields along with the mirror pad at the same $450 price.

James

jawn101
05-17-2012, 11:44 AM
The next batch of windshields are due in early next week, so we should have all backorders cleared by then.

In July/August, we will receive the windshield's with antennas.

Finally, we now include the front outer door seals (that have to be removed to get to the screws that hold with windshield reveals in place) with all windshields along with the mirror pad at the same $450 price.

James

Nice value-adds, that's a great idea James. Any idea on pricing for the antenna glass yet?

DMCH James
05-17-2012, 11:46 AM
Nice value-adds, that's a great idea James. Any idea on pricing for the antenna glass yet?

We'll use the original DMC part number, 100623, and the price will be $550. I wish it could have been less, but the volume just isn't there get a lower price.

James

jawn101
05-17-2012, 11:54 AM
We'll use the original DMC part number, 100623, and the price will be $550. I wish it could have been less, but the volume just isn't there get a lower price.

James

Hey, what can you do. Did the antenna glass have the UV coating as well? Now I can't remember but I think you said it was UV but not IR.

DMCH James
07-10-2012, 06:32 PM
The latest batch (100) windshields are on the way from the factory to us here in Houston. In this shipment are 75 standard windshields, 19 standard with antenna and 6 more UV/IR (no antenna). These should arrive mid-late August.

James

AirmanPika
08-21-2012, 12:24 AM
This is good to know...I was thinking of finally getting my windshield replaced under my insurance since its had a rock crack for ages. Have you dealt much with insurance claims? Do the windshield installers just contact you for a replacement?

TTait
08-21-2012, 12:35 AM
You can give your adjuster the website, or the phone number for Houston. You can also have James send you a quote including drop shipping to your local installer, like safelite - and a labor quote from safelite.

T

dmc6960
08-21-2012, 10:19 AM
While every insurance company is different, here is what I did...

Called the glass claim center (different from standard claims).
Went through the whole phone tree to a live person.
Got transferred to a "special claims" rep due to the vehicle.
Special claims rep came to my house to inspect the vehicle.
I told her I wanted to have "my own installers" put in the glass shipped directly to my own house. I gave them a quote from DMCMW for the UV/IR windshield plus estimated shipping (they didn't have a set rate quite yet).
Special claims rep got back to me a few days later saying she found a much cheaper windshield off of a different website (she actually found the "standard" windshield from DMCH's main site).
Went through insurance BS about needing the car's lien release so they could pay me directly.
Received payment for the "standard" windshield, estimated shipping, plus ~$200 for a standard installation cost.
Ordered UV/IR windshield through DMCMW, drop-shipped from Houston.
Removed old windshield myself and installed fancy new UV/IR windshield myself.
Enjoyed a rather comfortable drive down to Florida and back.

Your mileage may vary. Insurance companies will have a standard damage amount for glass replacement over a repair. If it is too small, they may only pay for a resin repair.

AirmanPika
08-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I think they'll have to replace seeing as its a nice crack down the entire middle of the windshield from the rock impact

DMCMW Dave
08-21-2012, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I think they'll have to replace seeing as its a nice crack down the entire middle of the windshield from the rock impact

Are you sure it is from a rock? Cracks right down the middle are often from someone gluing the mirror on instead of using the tape pad.

DMCH James
08-22-2012, 10:26 AM
Well, make that 50 standard windshields...

Ouch. This happened on the way from the factory to outbound customs. They are due to arrive tomorrow in NY, and then make their way to Houston for the end of next week or so.

James

The latest batch (100) windshields are on the way from the factory to us here in Houston. In this shipment are 75 standard windshields, 19 standard with antenna and 6 more UV/IR (no antenna). These should arrive mid-late August.

James

dvonk
08-22-2012, 10:36 AM
oh no! :(

at least it wasnt all of them. i hope they were covered with some sort of shipping insurance.

jawn101
08-22-2012, 11:00 AM

Ouch. This happened on the way from the factory to outbound customs. They are due to arrive tomorrow in NY, and then make their way to Houston for the end of next week or so.

James

Holy crap. That's a big whoops. Sorry to see it James!

DMCH James
08-22-2012, 11:29 AM
We always insure everything that gets shipped, so we're good there. I'm happiest that it wasn't the antenna windshields, which have already had a lot of interest and a couple orders.

James

Dangermouse
08-22-2012, 11:40 AM
Are you sure it is from a rock? Cracks right down the middle are often from someone gluing the mirror on instead of using the tape pad.

or from a piece of 1 x 6 :)

AirmanPika
08-22-2012, 05:15 PM

Yea, the rock impact is dead center of the crack. There is a chip where it hit.

DMCH James
10-02-2012, 09:47 AM
Windshields *finally* arrived this morning - these are all in good shape. Standard, Standard with antenna, and UV/IR now in stock.

James

82DMC12
10-02-2012, 11:12 AM
Windshields *finally* arrived this morning - these are all in good shape. Standard, Standard with antenna, and UV/IR now in stock.

James

James, can you give me a quote on an IR windshield shipped to 58103?

Andy

DMCH James
10-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Shipping to a business is typically $50 or so less than to a residence. I've asked for this quote as a residential to give you a worst case scenario. I'll PM you when I hear back from the freight company.

James

Andy

DMCH James
10-02-2012, 01:32 PM

Andy

PM sent.