PDA

View Full Version : Petition to get Sean from closing threads he doesn't like

tyb323
10-14-2011, 09:15 AM
Hello all. So I've been noticing (along with some others) that Sean has a bad habit of deleting posts he doesn't agree with/locking threads he doesn't like the direction of. On the old forum, most threads were not locked down unless they resorted to insulting everyone in the thread. Now it seems like threads get locked on a frequent basis. So my question to you all is simple (and Sean, this is just to give you a barometer of the community). Should Sean keep deleting posts and locking threads, or keep doing what he's doing?

Dangermouse
10-14-2011, 09:18 AM
So my question to you all is simple (and Sean, this is just to give you a barometer of the community).

and the question is............

Edit , ah - now I see the Poll "Should Sean continue deleting posts and locking threads?"

Seriously though, I find it hard to comment on the "deleting posts that Sean doesn't like" without seeing what was actually in those posts. Examples?

tyb323
10-14-2011, 09:19 AM
and the question is............

Fix'd

Dangermouse
10-14-2011, 09:24 AM
Now, the real question is "will Sean lock this thread if he doesn't like the way it is going?" and thus prove your point?

:angry_whip: :biggrin:

tyb323
10-14-2011, 09:26 AM
Most likely...

Michael
10-14-2011, 09:34 AM
I wanted to vote, but I didn't see answer that reads "If you don't like it, start your own board".

As soon as you add that option, I will be happy to vote.

tyb323
10-14-2011, 09:39 AM
I wanted to vote, but I didn't see answer that reads "If you don't like it, start your own board".

As soon as you add that option, I will be happy to vote.

I have no interest in starting my own board. DMCTalk has been the hub of the online community for several years and IMO it just seems to be slipping ever since the .org switch. I'm just trying to point out what I see as a potential flaw, and if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But I'm trying to keep this place afloat.

sean
10-14-2011, 09:41 AM
Hey, I voted! FWIW, the last post I deleted was on 10/12 and was steve saying "Sean sucks". I haven't deleted a thread that wasn't merged with another thread or the product of a double posting in well over 3 months, probably much longer I just stopped looking. I WILL close threads that are about to erupt in nonsense and I'll do the same here if it gets nuts. It has nothing to do with me wanting to save face but more that less than 0.6% of the members have issue with me and I'm not going to let them ruin it for the other 99.4% that like it here. If you dont like it, leave.

I have no interest in starting my own board. DMCTalk has been the hub of the online community for several years and IMO it just seems to be slipping ever since the .org switch. I'm just trying to point out what I see as a potential flaw, and if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But I'm trying to keep this place afloat.
Been admin/Mod for many years now. Dude, this place aint going anywhere, even if the .6% went away forever.

tyb323
10-14-2011, 09:46 AM
Dude, this place aint going anywhere, even if the .6% went away forever.

I know it's not going anywhere physically, but the quality does seem to be slipping. I don't know where you are getting the .6% from, right now the poll is 50/50. Of course we are still very early in, but I wouldn't call it .6% unless after a month the poll is at .6%...

LEVY
10-14-2011, 09:58 AM
This is his site, I believe he should run it the way he feel is better for the whole community.

If he deleted a thread, maybe it was because it was against rules/ policy.

I believe that, if your thread is deleted, and you think it was unnecessary, PM him and ask, maybe he saw something you didn't, or maybe he didn't saw something you did!

Levy

Hello all. So I've been noticing (along with some others) that Sean has a bad habit of deleting posts he doesn't agree with/locking threads he doesn't like the direction of. On the old forum, most threads were not locked down unless they resorted to insulting everyone in the thread. Now it seems like threads get locked on a frequent basis. So my question to you all is simple (and Sean, this is just to give you a barometer of the community). Should Sean keep deleting posts and locking threads, or keep doing what he's doing?

sean
10-14-2011, 09:59 AM
I know it's not going anywhere physically, but the quality does seem to be slipping. I don't know where you are getting the .6% from, right now the poll is 50/50. Of course we are still very early in, but I wouldn't call it .6% unless after a month the poll is at .6%...

Well lets see, 900 members and it seems 2 so far disaprove so we are up to .22% which is even more favorable for me.

I keep winning!

This is his site, I believe he should run it the way he feel is better for the whole community.

This is NOT my site, I just try to help govern it. I know I wont make everyone happy and again a very SMALL number of folks disprove of having me around. I have to live with that and Im ok with it because this place continues to grow with great members and posts.

timothymoore
10-14-2011, 10:04 AM

If he deleted a thread, maybe it was because it was against rules/ policy.

I believe that, if your thread is deleted, and you think it was unnecessary, PM him and ask, maybe he saw something you didn't, or maybe he didn't saw something you did!

Levy

i always under the assumption that this was tamir's forum? im not tryin to start nothing, but that was just my understanding unless i missed something. btw i voted in favor of sean.

jmettee
10-14-2011, 10:05 AM
While I like total freedom of speech (i.e. don't touch any of the threads), nothing has really bothered me. I typically don't read any of the threads that go in a very opinionated direction (K-Jet vs Carb is a good example where the thread goes MANY pages of opinions). I just avoid them, but those are the ones that have the most "yelling & bantering" that typically would get closed or moderated.

I like the splitting of threads, especially as many times as it happened on the old .com board. I think Bill R. was the king of "tangent talk" & owned most of the split-off threads.

The technical help threads are the ones I tend to read, & those typically don't get locked or go off in tangents.

I'm happy, in general. For what it's worth, I'm glad to see the Social Issues forums go away with the old .com. Sean runs the boards, so in my opinion, he can run it how he wants. I haven't seen anything ridiculous that he's done, so until that happens, I'm happy with DMCTalk....so much so, I still have the DMCTalk.COM on the back window of the D. It's worth something now that .com was replaced with .org, right :thumbup:

Ikeaboy1
10-14-2011, 10:52 AM
I believe in free speech, but this is a privately run board. Our 'right' to free speech is our ability to start our own or join another if we disapprove of how this is run.

I generally think Sean does a good job keeping repeat threads and general unpleasantness under control. But in the last few weeks I feel completely out of the loop, as I've evidently missed a lot of stuff that was deleted.

I suppose I'm in favor of moderating obscenities, attacks on others, and redundant threads. Otherwise it may be best to let a lot of stuff slide.

sean
10-14-2011, 11:11 AM
But in the last few weeks I feel completely out of the loop, as I've evidently missed a lot of stuff that was deleted.

But this is the point I was attempting to get at, you haven't missed anything because it hasn't been deleted.

Ikeaboy1
10-14-2011, 11:15 AM
Then I approve. :D

AdmiralSenn
10-14-2011, 12:07 PM
I never like it when a post or thread disappears, but I have to say that this forum is a FANTASTIC place.

I would venture to say that maybe he's deleting posts more often because things have gotten more rancorous lately. The carburetion thread pissing matches were starting to rival the politics/religion threads of yore for a while.

And yeah, sometimes a thread getting split totally throws off the flow of conversation, which is sometimes more important than the actual topic of discussion. But it makes future searches easier.

I dunno. I think sean does a great job herding the various cats that make up this community. I haven't seen anything untoward or out of line from him offhand.

Ozzie
10-14-2011, 12:30 PM
For the membership fee that I pay to this forum, for the privilege to participate, interact and meet with other owners, and to learn about my car, I'm one happy customer just the way it is!
Keep the good work, Mods.

protodelorean
10-14-2011, 12:40 PM
I think Sean's doing fine. Those that think he's being too strict, better hope he never approves my Moderation application. I have no tolerance for off-topic/tangents. You wanna exercise your right to free speech, get a sharpie and a piece of posterboard and go stand on the street corner. Otherwise, in here, STAY ON TOPIC! :angry_whip:

stevedmc
10-14-2011, 12:46 PM
Hey, I voted! FWIW, the last post I deleted was on 10/12 and was steve saying "Sean sucks".

Sean sucks.

Well lets see, 900 members and it seems 2 so far disaprove so we are up to .22% which is even more favorable for me.

Most of the 900 members don't even contribute. The amount of people who have posted more than a few times is probably closer to a hundred. In my opinion, the people who open an account and don't ask questions or contribute, don't count.

Ron
10-14-2011, 01:04 PM
Sean sucks.

+1
...for not moving this thread to the mod bashing thread.

sean
10-14-2011, 01:23 PM
In my opinion, the people who open an account and don't ask questions or contribute, don't count.

Just wanted to hang on to this gem.

SamHill
10-14-2011, 01:33 PM
Elephant in the room is filling it up with elephant poop: The issue isn't so much splitting threads that have diverged or locking threads that have come to a natural conclusion. The issue is singling out Bill just because you have the power to do so. He didn't make any political or religious statements as far as I know. Sean, he really gets to you so much that you have to approve EVERY post? Really? Yes, you can now have complete agreement on everything. That and "I want a cheap Delorean, lol wtf omg!!!" threads from the new guys.

Dracula
10-14-2011, 01:37 PM
I'd also agree that there's a much smaller number of people who actively post, opposed to the overall number of members, so that should be taken into account. We constantly get threads and first posts by people who say "I want to put an (Insert Various Model) engine in a DeLorean." or "I love BTTF and want a BTTF car." that disappear before making 20 posts.

Per the topic at hand, I have no problem with Sean's discretion. I've noticed a few posts in the past that had been deleted, but that's minor. The ones that were, typically, removed, said something to the effect of "The problem is that you're still using K-Jet. If you switched to a carb, your car would be 100% drivable for less than $1,000.00." in a thread that was about re-doing the interior.

From a personal perspective, NONE of my posts about the quality (or lack thereof) of the products from DMCH had been deleted, nor modified. This said, to me, that we are able to freely discuss things that pertain to the parts without fear of retribution for voicing our own opinions. Heck, the thread bashing their decision to make underbodies wasn't modified and didn't get out of control.

The biggest issue seemed to be one poster who tended to pick fights with almost everyone; be it intentional or not. I remember once getting into it with him about Cadillac vs Lincoln on the .com site. Most of his problems came from his aggressive stance towards modification and doing things whatever way got the job done. He didn't seem to get at the fact that, as the old expression goes, "There's more than one way to skin a cat." It's a shame that he won't be posting anymore, because he provided a lot of good information, but that's the way it goes. I learned a lot from his posts, even if I knew I wasn't going to use 99% of it.

I don't see things as out of hand and the fact that we can have a thread like this is an excellent example of free speech.

Dangermouse
10-14-2011, 01:39 PM
Most of the 900 members don't even contribute. The amount of people who have posted more than a few times is probably closer to a hundred. In my opinion, the people who open an account and don't ask questions or contribute, don't count.

So should the number of votes you can cast be proportional to the number of posts you have made? Wouldn't that make it interesting!

fwiw, I have no problem with the few threads that have been closed, being closed, and if you scroll through the pages and pages of threads, there are very, very few, and most of them are duplicate topics. Sean usually adds a final post explaining his reasoning, which is good.

I think Sean, and that other guy (Mark or Mick or whatever his name is ;) ) do a great job of keeping the boards civil, as well as letting people show their personality. Which can often be a fine line. Sometimes that means deleting a post or two. As disfunctional and opinionated a bunch as we are, someone needs to herd us (as mentioned above). And I think they have been pretty consistent about it too.

Frankly I would be worried if protodelorean took over, as I am a prime Off-topic-er, though I will add that going OT is much more appropriate to the Open Discussion threads than the General Discussion threads. In GD, I would concur that a thread on k-jet needs to stay right there. If you want to discuss k-jet vs carb, start a specific topic on that.

Anyway, I hear Sean is a great guy. Look forward to meeting him at some point. :elmo1:

SamHill
10-14-2011, 01:45 PM
The biggest issue seemed to be one poster who tended to pick fights with almost everyone; be it intentional or not. I remember once getting into it with him about Cadillac vs Lincoln on the .com site. Most of his problems came from his aggressive stance towards modification and doing things whatever way got the job done. He didn't seem to get at the fact that, as the old expression goes, "There's more than one way to skin a cat." It's a shame that he won't be posting anymore, because he provided a lot of good information, but that's the way it goes. I learned a lot from his posts, even if I knew I wasn't going to use 99% of it.

You mean Bill. Afraid of saying Bill's name? Everyone knows Bill.

Yeah, yeah, he likes the way he does things. He defends his methods because his methods come under attack, when he's only trying himself to find different ways of making the car reliable for less money. This, by some members is termed as a "hack." Well, then, my Dad is a well known "hacker." They use the materials and know-how that they have on hand to get the job done, and they are eager (maybe over eager) to share their experiences. They used to call it "Hot Rodding." There's nothing wrong with it, and I often marvel at the mind set and the kind of solutions that it produces.

You can't go into a gym without some guy saying, "No, do it this way" or "you should take suppliment XYZ" That's often irritating, but mostly harmless, and whatever the motive, it's probably not done in a cunning way to hurt someone else, which is unlike the bullies on .org that have to resort to overmoderating each and every post just because you get tired of talking to him... when it wasn't incumbent upon you to communicate with him in the first place.

sean
10-14-2011, 01:48 PM
which is unlike the bullies on .org that have to resort to banning someone just because you get tired of talking to him... when it wasn't incumbent upon you to communicate with him in the first place.

Bill has not been banned and is free to post.

SamHill
10-14-2011, 01:54 PM
Bill has not been banned and is free to post.

Which is why I changed it immediately after I wrote it.

Another edit: I have no issue with Sean moving, splitting, unsplitting, deleting or doing whatever he sees fit other than what has already been stated.

Mike C.
10-14-2011, 01:58 PM
First, Sean is right... there really have not been that many threads closed or deleted. When we DELETE a thread, it is usually because there is already a thread on the subject matter, or someone multi-posts in multiple threads with the same topic, fishing for answers.

Threads like the "bash a moderator", "bash Sean", "bash whomever", etc... were started for lighthearted fun, and after a while they get shut down because frankly it's old and not funny anymore. Really, nothing lost there... Then another member starts ANOTHER thread about locking that thread, and even though it was a joke, it's not going to continue so it gets locked and delted. No harm done... no valuable info lost, etc...

Do threads get deleted? Not as much as you think. You see threads MOVED alot because we MERGE threads. We also do split threads because, being brutally honest, some of you have 12 track minds. We will be on the topic of some guy on the side of a road with an electrical issue, and someone will chime in saying his fuel pump in his mustang shuts off when the AC kicks on. What the hell does that have to do with anything?!? So we split the thread.

Do posts get deleted? Yes they do. Example: Someone is talking about an issue on their EFI setup, and someone chimes in that they are stupid for not putting a carburetor on the car, and two other people join in and heckle the guy who made the carb suggestion. Guess what?
a) a carb is not helping the original poster's issue, so we delete the post from the guy who made the suggestion
b) the 6 posts afterwards heckling the guy with the carb post gets deleted too because it has no bearing on the original poster's issue THAT WE ARE TRYING TO SOLVE!
If your post is one of those that was an off shoot of the derailment post, then your stuff gets deleted. Sorry, but we have to keep threads on track, especially when they are not in the open discussion section.

Do we split threads?
Yes we do. Say a person says something that generates interest... but does so in someone else's thread. We split that. No harm no foul.

As far as the situation with Bill, it's not just Sean. Members also shot us PM's on the old form as well as THIS forum because of his posts, his replies, etc... Easily, he could make posts that are helpful in nature, but when other members start complaining that the pot is being stirred too much, or that they don't like his posts, or report his posts, Sean has to take action, whether or not Bill or his friends agree. Bill's log in information was NOT tampered with, his account was NOT deleted, contrary to what you are being told. He is on a moderated status, which means he can still post, but his posts have to be approved for a time being.

With that being said....

On a personal note, I love working with Sean and Tamir. Nothing but amazing communication with them, and I vote he should change nothing.

stevedmc
10-14-2011, 02:08 PM
I'm all for splitting threads in an effort to organize information. One of the things that makes this forum so much better than the DML, aside from the people, is how easy it is to look up information.

The moderators do a great job of keeping information sorted. What sucks is when my posts about sucking get deleted.

The real question is, who's votes count? Does theMonch count as one of the 900 or so people who's vote counts?

Mike C.
10-14-2011, 02:19 PM
For the membership fee that I pay to this forum, for the privilege to participate, interact and meet with other owners, and to learn about my car, I'm one happy customer just the way it is!
Keep the good work, Mods.

:thumbup:

I favor this post.

1Mcfly4u
10-14-2011, 02:53 PM
You mean Bill. Afraid of saying Bill's name? Everyone knows Bill.

Fellas I hate to say it but you are beating a dead horse,Bill is going to be persona non grata. In someones askewed sense of reality approving posts before they go public is not banning someone..... remember Bill can post at anytime, perhaps he has been all along but Sean has deemed none of them fit for public viewing, problem is there are 3 maybe 4 people that will ever know.

Also, it's good to know that we can report people enough times to get them to moderated status... perhaps we can make Bill some friends :poke:

sean
10-14-2011, 03:00 PM
perhaps he has been all along but Sean has deemed none of them fit for public viewing, problem is there are 3 maybe 4 people that will ever know.

FWIW, Bill has made one post since being put on the moderation list and it was approved:
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?95-Ask-Bill-about-carbing-a-DeLorean-and-other-K-Jet-Carb-tangets&p=21888&viewfull=1#post21888

stevedmc
10-14-2011, 03:04 PM
FWIW, Bill has made one post since being put on the moderation list and it was approved:
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?95-Ask-Bill-about-carbing-a-DeLorean-and-other-K-Jet-Carb-tangets&p=21888&viewfull=1#post21888

Yeah, and his password could have been revoked after he made that post.

Dang. I just realized my fuel pump failure is what triggered Seans comment about trying a mechanical fuel pump (which didn't offend me, I got a kick out of it), which offended Bill, and started this whole mess.

I've learned my lesson. From now on I'm not talking about fuel pumps.

sean
10-14-2011, 03:16 PM

You got me! Your internets award for sleuthing is in the mail along with a case of top roman.

Mike C.
10-14-2011, 03:45 PM

His password is not revoked............ nothing has changed with is login info...

10-14-2011, 07:28 PM
For what it's worth I'm a mod on a web site and the last thing you should do is make a public offering as you have, poor taste to say the least in my opinion.

Either take your issue up with Sean via PM or e-mail or address the owner of the site and allow them a chance to handle any perceived problem as they see fit.

If they (the owner(s)) don't have a problem with their mod's then you have the option of keeping quite or pounding salt.

Sean and I have had a disagreement or 2 but have always been handled via PM, his job is not an easy one with cry babies trying to sway him this or that way on a topic.

The fact that this thread is up and running shows Sean does all he can to make things fair. To quote from and old song, "You can't please everyone so ya got to please yourself"!

So if you've not done so yet, be a man, take up your issue with Sean or the owner privately or move along.

Sean has a job to do that requires discretion, discretion you or someone will not always agree with.

Rad Dad
10-14-2011, 09:27 PM
Sean sucks.

Well, now let's see: I have owned a DeLorean since 1982. I have 200,000 miles under my belt driving a DeLorean. I have driven in 42 of the lower 48 states, 3 Canadian provides, and have driven 2000+ mile round trips over 30 times! I admit that I am a mechanical klutz and an electrical idiot, but that doesn't mean that just because i don't' post much that I don't count.

I read the posts almost daily, but I must admit, my reading is selective, based upon the title of the thread.

Given all of that - - - IF YOU THINK I DON'T COUNT WITHIN THE DELOREAN COMMUNITY, YOU ARE EITHER AN IDIOT OR THE MOST SELF-CEMTERED PERSON I HAVE EVER MET.

SORRY ABOUT THE RANT. I I DON'T SUFFER FOLKS LIKE YOU VERY WELL.

I have a life: get one - you might actually enjoy it!

SEAN, you are okay in my books.

THE Rad Dad
Vin 16867

TTait
10-15-2011, 12:09 AM

Mine too. Sean and all the mods are providing a service and giving a lot of their time and effort so we can all have a civil place to share thoughts, information and experiences. Thank you Sean.

I'm pleased with the new forum, and especially the new rules about off topic posts.

A big thanks to all the mods, and a message to Bill if he still reads here - it would be great to have you back.

Tom

SamHill
10-15-2011, 12:13 AM
well, now let's see: I have owned a delorean since 1982. I have 200,000 miles under my belt driving a delorean. I have driven in 42 of the lower 48 states, 3 canadian provides, and have driven 2000+ mile round trips over 30 times! I admit that i am a mechanical klutz and an electrical idiot, but that doesn't mean that just because i don't' post much that i don't count.

I read the posts almost daily, but i must admit, my reading is selective, based upon the title of the thread.

Given all of that - - - if you think i don't count within the delorean community, you are either an idiot or the most self-cemtered person i have ever met.

Sorry about the rant. I i don't suffer folks like you very well.

I have a life: Get one - you might actually enjoy it!

Sean, you are okay in my books.

The rad dad
vin 16867

consequences will never be the same!!!

Mark D
10-15-2011, 01:46 AM
The whole point of having moderators is so they can moderate. Let the man do what he does.

Overall I think all the mods here do a good job of locking or deleting any redundant or double posts and taking care of the other responsibilities of the board.

stevedmc
10-15-2011, 01:52 AM
Well, now let's see: I have owned a DeLorean since 1982. I have 200,000 miles under my belt driving a DeLorean. I have driven in 42 of the lower 48 states, 3 Canadian provides, and have driven 2000+ mile round trips over 30 times! I admit that I am a mechanical klutz and an electrical idiot, but that doesn't mean that just because i don't' post much that I don't count.

I read the posts almost daily, but I must admit, my reading is selective, based upon the title of the thread.

Given all of that - - - IF YOU THINK I DON'T COUNT WITHIN THE DELOREAN COMMUNITY, YOU ARE EITHER AN IDIOT OR THE MOST SELF-CEMTERED PERSON I HAVE EVER MET.

SORRY ABOUT THE RANT. I I DON'T SUFFER FOLKS LIKE YOU VERY WELL.

I have a life: get one - you might actually enjoy it!

THE Rad Dad
Vin 16867

That is pretty awesome that you have 200,000 miles under your belt, but are you saying you haven't gained and shared any of that knowledge over the past 30 or so years?

I've only been an owner for 2 years and barely have 20,000 miles under my belt but I've shared as much information with others as I possibly can.

sdg3205
10-15-2011, 02:49 AM
When I need information I can always find it, be it new or old. In the end that's what really matters to me.

Just say'n.

Karin
10-15-2011, 02:10 PM
I think we should go ahead and drop this. I mean, we got moderators for a good reason. Even I have no problem with anyone locking and deleting threads in case it gets ugly. There is no need for flaming threads or threads that can eventually provoke a flame war and have them exist in the first place. I was stuck in a scenario like that shortly after my dad bought dial-up and I didn't deserve it. Some people in the internet are just trapped in their own little world.

So, um, yeah, my rant of rants has ended. I am gonna return to my lounge chair with my popcorn.

TTait
10-15-2011, 02:24 PM
I think we should go ahead and drop this.

Ya... maybe we add an option to the poll that says drop this and close the thread?

DCUK Martin
10-15-2011, 02:39 PM
Deleting posts puts the forum on a slippery slope. This happened in the UK club as those in charge started to get on a bit of a power trip (or so it seemed to me). The result is now a massive divide and two forums supporting fewer than 150 cars. A daft situation IMO.

I have not had a problem with any of my posts being deleted on DMCTalk, as they're deleted together with Bill's original comment with which I'm arguing.

From my experience on the UK club forum however, make sure deletions occur because of clear infringement of the forum's rules which are free for anyone to read. Also, leave a moderator note in the thread from which posts have been deleted explaining why.

Tangents which don't break any rules other than not staying on topic should be split to a new thread. In a room full of like-minded people, you don't banish people from talking about anything other than the reason they're in the room in the first place.

Hell, why not have a "Tangents" section of the forum?!

SamHill
10-15-2011, 07:56 PM
Deleting posts puts the forum on a slippery slope. This happened in the UK club as those in charge started to get on a bit of a power trip (or so it seemed to me). The result is now a massive divide and two forums supporting fewer than 150 cars. A daft situation IMO. [snip]
From my experience on the UK club forum however, make sure deletions occur because of clear infringement of the forum's rules which are free for anyone to read. [snip]
Tangents which don't break any rules other than not staying on topic should be split to a new thread. In a room full of like-minded people, you don't banish people from talking about anything other than the reason they're in the room in the first place.
[snip]

Agree wholeheartedly with you Martin.

tyb323
10-19-2011, 07:08 PM
50 votes in, 30% want Sean to be a bit nicer about closing threads and/or deleting posts, 2% don't care, and 68% don't mind.

sean
10-19-2011, 07:10 PM
50 votes in, 30% want Sean to be a bit nicer about closing threads and/or deleting posts, 2% don't care, and 68% don't mind.

And things are still the same as they were before the poll was put up. :confused:

Ron
10-19-2011, 10:38 PM
And things are still the same as they were before the poll was put up. :confused:

I'm confused as to why you are confused-
921 members (active since Mike crashed .com mind you!)
50 members voted.

Of those who voted:
30% chose (1 of the 3 out of 4 options tailored to condemn).
2% don't care + 68% don't mind (or possibly want tighter oversight).
So you have 70% approval of members deciding* to vote. Good Job!

921 - 50 = 871; 871/921 = .9457111835
* ~95% of the members don't give a rats arse.

Simple, man. YOU SUCK!

[TAG:IWIHISAUTHWDTM]

stevedmc
10-19-2011, 10:49 PM
921 - 50 = 871; 871/921 = .9457111835
* ~95% of the members don't give a rats arse.

Those members are to afraid to vote. They probably think their accounts will be "erased from existence" if they vote truthfully.

sean
10-19-2011, 10:55 PM
Those members are to afraid to vote. They probably think their accounts will be "erased from existence" if they vote truthfully.

Hey it worked on bill, right? Oh wait :shocked:

Ron
10-19-2011, 11:21 PM
Those members are to afraid to vote. They probably think their accounts will be "erased from existence" if they vote truthfully. ....don't they get 17 virgins with that!?!

Dangermouse
10-19-2011, 11:42 PM
Only 2% don't care? Seems low.

Tamir A.
10-20-2011, 02:49 AM
Interesting thread.

Let me say this, I have complete faith in what Sean and Mike do as Moderators of this forum. The forum was started originally on my site (www.entermyworld.com) by my brother and myself. When it grew we moved it to dmctalk.

My brother brought on Sean and Mike to help with moderating duties several years ago, and although my brother is no longer involved in the forum, I don't believe the moderating style has changed drastically.

Nothing is perfect in this world, and we all know the internet and the way people communicate on it can sometimes be like the wild west. But at the end of the day if you are on here it is because you want to discuss one thing, and that is DeLoreans. So let's continue to focus on that.

Tamir

tyb323
10-23-2011, 01:10 AM
For the record, been hanging out with Captain Carbeuretor (Bill R.) this weekend. Despite repeated statements that his password is not revoked, he cannot log in. I have this screenshotted.
http://i52.tinypic.com/zjxn46.png

Ron
10-23-2011, 01:22 AM
For the record, been hanging out with Captain Carbeuretor (Bill R.) this weekend. Despite repeated statements that his password is not revoked, he cannot log in. I have this screenshotted.
why does it show your username in the vBulletin error message?

stevedmc
10-23-2011, 08:01 AM

I think I know what happened. At work our Novel accounts get locked if you try to login with the wrong password more than three times. Once the account us locked the user has to call the helpdesk to have their account unlocked.

Several pranksters at work figured this out and sometimes use this to screw with people. Basically they find out a persons login name and attempt to login with it three times. The account gets locked and the poor victim has to call the helpdesk. This used to happen frequently at work.

Sean and mike have repeatedly said they didn't do anything to Bill's account. Bill has repeatedly said he can't login. I'm wondering if someone tried guessing Bill's password and managed to lock the account.

Mike C.
10-23-2011, 08:25 AM
why does it show your username in the vBulletin error message?

That's what I was wondering....

Tyler, I saw your post this morning and just now reset his password for login. I tested the login and it works just fine. Please tell him to check his email for his new login information. Just an FYI, on my admin control board, his old password was still blanked out, meaning it was never changed. I do not know why he could not log in. I know for a fact the account is up and does work.

Hopefully this will eliminate any further speculation that Sean, myself, or Tamir are sabotaging Bill's account.

-Mike

P.S. for the record, if anything like this ever happens again, PLEASE everyone do NOT speculate, and just send me a PM, or have the person email me directly.

Mike C.
10-23-2011, 08:29 AM
I think I know what happened. At work our Novel accounts get locked if you try to login with the wrong password more than three times. Once the account us locked the user has to call the helpdesk to have their account unlocked.

Several pranksters at work figured this out and sometimes use this to screw with people. Basically they find out a persons login name and attempt to login with it three times. The account gets locked and the poor victim has to call the helpdesk. This used to happen frequently at work.

Sean and mike have repeatedly said they didn't do anything to Bill's account. Bill has repeatedly said he can't login. I'm wondering if someone tried guessing Bill's password and managed to lock the account.

It's a good possibility people were trying to be funny and hack his account. Im not sure it would do a permanent lock out, but it is possible. I've never tried to purposely repeatedly access an account, but it is a good suggestion. I will try it later on today with our test account to see if it does a perma-ban after a few attempts.

Soundkillr
10-23-2011, 09:06 AM
As smart as bill is he couldnt think to email a mod? It does not lock you out after several failed attempts. I have forgotten my password before and it did lock me for fifteen, but i was able to log in later.

Mike C.
10-23-2011, 01:47 PM
Well, Bill has his login info, the poll hasn't changed in a while, so im going to consider this all a moot point at this time and lock the thread.

Nothing is going to change, lets all try to just get along. If you have any suggestions or need help, please contact one of us.