PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Importing to the UK

savetheclocktower
10-18-2011, 07:55 AM
Hi Guys,

Im considering taking the plunge and finally getting a Delorean. After a brief chat on the DOC forum it was suggested that an import might be the best way to go about getting this car on a budget. I have roughly $15000 available but want to stretch that as far as possible.

Would anybody be willing to offer me some advice on where to begin. Forst steps etc.

Really appreciate your time.

Kind regards,
Richard

Dangermouse
10-18-2011, 12:02 PM
Firstly check the listings here, on DMCTalk, both in the Cars for Sale (where owners list their cars) and in Open Discussion and General Discussion, where forum members post other cars that they have found on-line, usually with some sort of notable (aka interesting) attribute .

Obviously check ebay and Autotrader.com. You could try craigslist.com for some of the major cities.

You may be able to get a forum member to go and look at a car for you, depending on where the car is. If you are really interested in one, post it on the forum for feedback (just don't do it for every single car you look at ;) )

Elaborate here on what particulars you are looking for (auto/manual, interior color) if you have any.

And above all, read plenty of threads here and on DOC to educate yourself about the car.

savetheclocktower
10-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Hi Dangermouse. Thanks very much for taking the time to reply.

Looking for a manual. I think thats the only requirement really. Im flexible on the rest. Im no pro. Very new to the car so doing some reading each night. Grew up watching the BTTF films so thats where the fascination started. Had a drive in one in may this year. New job means I should be able to fund my dream. I would prefer one in my budget with as little work required. But my budget is limited so if work is needed cosmetic is best.

Rich W
10-18-2011, 02:25 PM
Richard,

PJ Grady UK is an excellent source for both tracking down a DeLorean to buy
in the UK or for more details on how to import a DeLorean into the UK.

http://tinyurl.com/3twuyhv

Feel free to contact Chris Nicholson at PJ Grady UK for more details or stop by
his shop to see a few DeLoreans in person.

Later,
Rich W.

stevedmc
10-18-2011, 02:39 PM
This article might be good reading for you:
http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/restoration.htm

Just out of curiosity, how much does shipping a vehicle cost?

I saw a TV show a few days ago about a guy in the UK who buys cars, fixes them, and sells them for a profit. He bought a Delorean in the USA, shipped it to the UK, fixed some things and sold it.

He paid $15,500 USD for it and sold it for the equivalent of $32,000 USD. At the end of the show he bragged about it being the quickest $6,000 that he had ever made. This leads me to beleive the purchase price, repairs, shipping, and taxes added up to about $26,000 USD.

Just something to keep in mind when importing a "cheap" delorean.

savetheclocktower
10-18-2011, 02:43 PM
Dropped them a mail. Appreciated! Many thanks.

savetheclocktower
10-18-2011, 02:45 PM
This article might be good reading for you:
http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/restoration.htm

I saw a TV show a few days ago about a guy in the UK who buys cars, fixes them, and sells them for a profit. He bought a Delorean in the USA, shipped it to the UK, fixed some things and sold it.

He paid $15,500 USD for it and sold it for the equivalent of $32,000 USD. At the end of the show he bragged about it being the quickest $6,000 that he had ever made. This leads me to beleive the purchase price, repairs, shipping, and taxes added up to about $26,000 USD.

I watched this too. Its called Wheeler Dealer. Im told the US is better for finding a car that might need some work hence the price is a little cheaper. Apparently around 30% is a good rough idea of additional charges by the time its in the UK.

Thanks for you input.

Rich

Dangermouse
10-19-2011, 09:40 AM

He paid $15,500 USD for it and sold it for the equivalent of $32,000 USD. At the end of the show he bragged about it being the quickest $6,000 that he had ever made. This leads me to beleive the purchase price, repairs, shipping, and taxes added up to about $16,000 USD.

Firstly, fixed, cough, cough, Steve. (Also remember it is a TV show, so their numbers may not have been completely factual :nono:)

From the UK sites, the actual shipping seems to be $1,000-2,000. The big kicker is import tax of 20%. Therefore, obviously, the cheaper the car you buy in the US, the less the import taxes will be, which is why project cars are a more popular export than concours.

jerzybondov
10-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Have a read of this - I imported a car in 2008/9 and wrote a guide for the DCUK forum:
http://www.deloreaneurotec.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=317

savetheclocktower
10-19-2011, 05:16 PM
Any thoughts on this guys?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DeLorean-Turbo-1981-Delorean-DMC-12-Turbo-classic-sports-car-/150676995553?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item23150c7de1

jerzybondov
10-20-2011, 07:18 AM
Yes - a BIG project. You would need to be an experienced mechanic or be prepared to spend big money on this once you get it over to the UK. Be prepared to ditch the turbo and go back to stock if you want to get it running nicely.

Personally, I would avoid this one if you're new to the DeLorean game!

Dangermouse
10-20-2011, 07:36 AM
+1

I would approach with caution. Consider it to be a non-runner - note that the seller doesn't make any reference to how (or if) it drives. Don't get blinded by the turbo, it'll just be one more thing to deal with.

However, the price is still low enough and it is probably typical of a car you would get for <$7k (but read the "Sticky" thread in this sub-forum about buying a "cheap" D. If you are interested, ask the seller for some frame pictures.

DCUK Martin
10-20-2011, 08:22 AM
Hi Richard,

Does that $15000 include your budget for tax upon arrival? You will struggle to get a car into the UK for less than 10,000 UKP unless you really know what you're doing and are happy to take on a project.

Wheeler Dealers did not show the detail on that car, there was a hell of a lot more work involved than was shown. Yes, it is possible to make money but it will involve a lot of work!

I've imported getting on for 10 times, but always have my eyes open to expect the worst. My frient Martyn Reed recently brought in a fixer-upper and he's as happy as a pig in sh*t right now. Thanks to Dave & Julee at DMCMW he got just the right car - bodywork and chassis very good but hadn't run in years and cosmetically dreadful.

He's already covered several thousand miles and is steadily working through the bits and bobs. We replaced the front springs and the bearings in his steering rack last week in fact (He's being my guinea pig for testing them!)

savetheclocktower
10-21-2011, 06:04 AM
Hi Richard,

Does that $15000 include your budget for tax upon arrival? You will struggle to get a car into the UK for less than 10,000 UKP unless you really know what you're doing and are happy to take on a project.

Wheeler Dealers did not show the detail on that car, there was a hell of a lot more work involved than was shown. Yes, it is possible to make money but it will involve a lot of work!

I've imported getting on for 10 times, but always have my eyes open to expect the worst. My frient Martyn Reed recently brought in a fixer-upper and he's as happy as a pig in sh*t right now. Thanks to Dave & Julee at DMCMW he got just the right car - bodywork and chassis very good but hadn't run in years and cosmetically dreadful.

He's already covered several thousand miles and is steadily working through the bits and bobs. We replaced the front springs and the bearings in his steering rack last week in fact (He's being my guinea pig for testing them!)

Im not to afraid of some engine work needed. My Farther and cousin are mechanics. So I will be getting them working!lol. I think the sort of thing your friend Martyn got is what im looking at. I was told rule of thumb is about 30% on top of what you buy it for by the time its on your drive?

Also keeping an eye on this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200665013698&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

If you have any good tips, would be great to hear about the import process & best places to look?

Rich

chris williams
10-21-2011, 02:58 PM
Hi Rich

I know your on the UK forum, however you may not have seen this import guide on our website: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/importing/index.html It may give you a bit more help and guidence.

Chris

savetheclocktower
10-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Hi Rich

I know your on the UK forum, however you may not have seen this import guide on our website: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/importing/index.html It may give you a bit more help and guidence.

Chris

Brilliant. Thank you.

DCUK Martin
10-22-2011, 07:17 AM
Im not to afraid of some engine work needed. My Farther and cousin are mechanics. So I will be getting them working!lol. I think the sort of thing your friend Martyn got is what im looking at. I was told rule of thumb is about 30% on top of what you buy it for by the time its on your drive?

Also keeping an eye on this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200665013698&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

If you have any good tips, would be great to hear about the import process & best places to look?

Rich

I suspect that the reserve on that car is relatively high. I look for the wholly neglected cars so I can start from scratch. My mantra is manual, 100% complete and with good bodywork. Sellers who have done work on their cars usually expect to see the value of the work added to the car, and it doesn't work like that.

If you're buying sight unseen, one key "trick" I always employ is to ask for photos of areas of the car that they haven't already provided, and also to ask for at least one photo that's really random - for example inside the glove box. This isn't because I care about it, but because you can't easily find one on the internet. If the person at the other end just makes excuses why they can't take these photos, walk away.

The chassis is vital to get photos of under the front and under the back.

The last two cars I brought over (incl Martyn's) I found with a wanted ad on DMCTalk.

chris williams
10-22-2011, 03:53 PM
Does any one know if this is a twin or single turbo?? I suspect it will go for a fairly high amount as there has not been a lot of restoration cars around recently, also the fact it's a turbo may drive the price up (or not) depending on what people want. Nice to see some more pictures on the listing the chassis may need work by the looks of it to.
Chris

savetheclocktower
10-23-2011, 06:01 AM
I was thinkin the chassis look like it had some rot. Will be keeping an eye on it.

DCUK Martin
10-23-2011, 06:25 AM
Does any one know if this is a twin or single turbo??

The first link shows a single turbo, the second is a regular NA.