PDA

View Full Version : Reproduction LH and RH water pump hoses - ORIGINAL SHAPES!

DMCH James
10-20-2011, 04:48 PM
For years all the DeLorean vendors have been using some aftermarket water pump hoses since the originals went unavailable. They were unique to the DeLorean and were easily identifiable, the left hand hose in particular, by the soft curve that arcs around the A/C compressor to the water pump.

Our supplier advised us that the aftermarket hoses they were selling us were being discontinued, so we decided to go ahead and have them reproduced (Made in the USA!) in the original shape, but regular rubber. Ed Uding/DMC Europe makes some silicone hoses in the same shape, but not everyone wants to pay that kind of money.

We sent off some samples, along with the drawings, and had molds made for the 108675 and 108676 hoses. These are now in stock!

James

DMCH James
10-20-2011, 05:23 PM
And we've been able to hold the same prices as before...

James

dvonk
10-20-2011, 10:59 PM
:smile:

TTait
10-21-2011, 01:52 AM
I didn't even know I was using aftermarket!

Can you post a pic at some point showing how the clearances are different?

You guys are on a roll man - nice!

T

dmc4087
10-21-2011, 05:29 AM
Looks good.

I would have expected these to cost a million dollars by now after reading some of the crap in the thread below - what with all the development costs on the EV car and new underbodies :p

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?2012-Discontent-With-DMCH-discussion-***Split-from-EV-thread***&highlight=discontent

Ozzie
10-21-2011, 07:35 AM
Great!
Thanks for the continued support of cars.

DMCVegas
10-21-2011, 07:53 AM
I didn't even know I was using aftermarket!

Can you post a pic at some point showing how the clearances are different?

You guys are on a roll man - nice!

T

I had no idea either! A photo would be cool to see to compare the two. Of course does this mean that the model cars are now inaccurate:biggrin:?

Good call on going with rubber instead of Silicone. For tight spots that are difficult to get too, I prefer the silicone there. However since I once threw a belt and had it chew into one of these very hoses here and had to replace it, I wouldn't have been willing to risk the extra cash for silicone for this particular application.

DniveK
10-21-2011, 09:04 AM
I think its great that DMCH not only is making these again, but making them in the USA! I wish more American based companies would use US production for their:driving1: parts to keep Americans working.

Farrar
10-21-2011, 09:37 AM
Great product! Are these rubber like original or silicone like some of the overseas ones?

Farrar

DMCMW Dave
10-21-2011, 10:03 AM
Comparison pictures and the explanation of Silicone Vs Rubber are in the first post. . . .:confused0:

Farrar
10-21-2011, 11:53 AM
That's what I get for being too excited to finish my coffee.

I'll go and slink off into the ether now...

Ozzie
10-21-2011, 01:13 PM
.... A photo would be cool to see to compare the two. Of course does this mean that the model cars are now inaccurate:biggrin:?

Comparison pictures and the explanation of Silicone Vs Rubber are in the first post. . . .:confused0:

Actually I thought he meant, a picture of the differences when they are installed. We (I) may only be use to seeing the aftermarket ones installed. ...I know 2109's were changed a while ago by the previous owner, so I don't know if I have aftermarkets or not (probably). Would be interested to see how they were intended to fit - especially the long one.

DMCVegas
10-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Actually I thought he meant, a picture of the differences when they are installed. We (I) may only be use to seeing the aftermarket ones installed.

That would be correct on both counts.

/Hey, Farrar, you got any extra coffee?

DMCMW Dave
10-21-2011, 05:26 PM
Here you go, with an oddball one thrown in.

Left Hose Original OEM (and what the new one looks like)

Left Hose from ANY vendor for about the last 25 years.

Right Hose Original OEM

Right Hose from ANY Vendor (not much different)

Early car hoses on the driver side. A true PITA to service, changed in the low 2500s.

DMCH James
10-21-2011, 06:24 PM
Thanks, Dave!

Ozzie
10-21-2011, 07:40 PM
lol.

thanks dave. that certainly shows the difference clearly, and that i've been running the aftermarket hoses. I really like and now understand the better fit, especially on the left side.

on my wishlist now.

DMCNY
10-22-2011, 06:55 PM
I know this probobly goes without saying, but I'll ask anyway.

Will these be included when ordered in kit form from any point here on out?

DMCH James
10-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Yes, these are now parts of both hose kits (with and without radiator).

James

DMCVegas
10-25-2011, 12:33 PM
NICE!

With the left hose, I finally see the mystery of the bent support bracket solved.

With the right hose I see it isn't hanging directly over the Muffler and not going to dry rot as fast, not to mention on the side that connects to the output of the Water Pump, it doesn't have that kink in it. I don't know if that's going to affect performance or not, but it at least LOOKS a whole helluva lot better!

Early car hoses on the driver side. A true PITA to service, changed in the low 2500s.

Ok, I understand some people wanting to preserve their cars for originality, so they don't change out the stereo, install lowering kits, etc. But who in the hell is so stupid to risk collecting bubbles around the Otterstat and overheating & damaging their engine just for the sake of keeping their car original? Seriously?

Nicholas R
10-25-2011, 12:49 PM

2500s? Really? I'm 1643 and I've never know my car to have that? Was it a recall or something? I feel like I've seen quite a few pre-2500 cars and haven't seen that crazy thing. Very interesting indeed.

Ozzie
10-25-2011, 01:01 PM
2500s? Really? I'm 1643 and I've never know my car to have that? Was it a recall or something? I feel like I've seen quite a few pre-2500 cars and haven't seen that crazy thing. Very interesting indeed.

On the early hoses, the left coolant hose took a quick turn behind and across the back of the AC compressor, then snaked around to the water pump.

Visually, I like the early hose set up...but I probably would complain a lot, and not like it as much, if I would have had to work around it for some simple jobs in that area (e.g.: valve cover gasket change, valve adjustment), as they would force you to undo the coolant system each time.

DMCMW Dave
10-25-2011, 01:57 PM

Crap - I kind of hip-shot that VIN number :mad:, it was more like in the low teens (VIN 1223 according to one version of the parts book). Shops - and owners - have been converting to the later style for ease of maintenance and less heat on the compressor for a long time so it's not unusual to see the ""wrong" hose kit on a car now.

Mark D
10-25-2011, 02:26 PM
Hooray for new coolant hoses! :nana1:

Just in time for me to buy a kit to install this winter. I feel like I've been driving around in a ticking time bomb with my original rubber hoses.

Nicholas R
10-25-2011, 03:43 PM
Crap - I kind of hip-shot that VIN number :mad:, it was more like in the low teens (VIN 1223 according to one version of the parts book). Shops - and owners - have been converting to the later style for ease of maintenance and less heat on the compressor for a long time so it's not unusual to see the ""wrong" hose kit on a car now.

Got ya. Thanks for the clarification. Definitely makes more sense. The handful of early early cars I was talking about that I've seen are between 1300 and 1900.

DMC5180
10-30-2011, 03:25 PM
Hooray for new coolant hoses! :nana1:

Just in time for me to buy a kit to install this winter. I feel like I've been driving around in a ticking time bomb with my original rubber hoses.

I would not say ticking time bomb. But there was a specific version of the left side hose that did not have any reinforcement fiber in it way back. I've been told it had the tendency to swell up like a ballon and burst. I don't know the specifics of how they made it on the car.

nullset
10-30-2011, 04:14 PM
Interestingly, John (specialtauto) just posted his new Silicone hoses in the same shape.

Now we have lots of options!

--buddy

jawn101
10-30-2011, 06:48 PM
This is really cool. I count myself among the owners who didn't know his hoses were aftermarket when he got the car. I just installed brand new ones about two months ago, and they are the now-obvious 'aftermarket' shape as well. Oh well, next time!

Actually, I like the aftermarket LH shape better (the 'gentle bend' around the compressor looks kind of clunky) but I'm all for the original appearance, whatever it might be :)