PDA

View Full Version : 3.0 Twin Turbo prv #01748 - Italy

cineman
10-22-2011, 11:26 AM
I had a topic in the old forum with the other mods i have on the car... i start another one here with the new things and photos, wich some of you already saw ;)

http://iudexmaximus.delorean.fr/gallery/40_1318774281.jpg

http://iudexmaximus.delorean.fr/gallery/40_1318774542.jpg

http://iudexmaximus.delorean.fr/gallery/40_1318774694.jpg

And for whose who say that's not good to modify a Delorean :

http://iudexmaximus.delorean.fr/gallery/40_1318763109.jpg

http://iudexmaximus.delorean.fr/gallery/40_1318772505.jpg

No, it's good.

:D :D

I have other photos of my car and other works in my picasa album.

http://picasaweb.google.com/cinemanvero

Here some details of the engine and car.

Engine configuration : PRV V6 – 90° - Even Firing - Twin turbo

power: about 270hp at 6000 rpm
torque: 44mKg at 2600 rpm
turbo boost: 0,8 bar – 13psi

( That's quite the stock numbers of the Safrane engine from factory...i can go higher with bigger turbos...)

engine block : Z7X 726 from B545 Renault Safrane Biturbo

displacement: 2963 cc ( 3,0 lt )
bore: 93,00 mm
stroke: 72,70 mm
compression ratio: 7,6:1 - flat top pistons – forged conrods

heads: 12 valves heads, from B545 Renault Safrane Biturbo
Sodium cooled exhaust valves

Lower engine crankcase and mounts
modified with turbo oil returns passages. from Delorean–Alpine A310 engine

Casted Aluminium Oil cup with higher capacity, 7,0lt from Alpine GTA V6 Turbo D501

Valve covers, modified for cams clearance from Alpine GTA V6 Turbo D501
Front Timing cover with Ignition Distributor from Alpine GTA V6 Turbo D501
Powder coating painted.

Water pump from Alpine GTA V6 Turbo D501
Lower temp termostat, 83°C.
Engine block ducts modified for better water cooling.
Bigger 3 row (55mm) racing aluminium water radiator

Intake manifold with modified throttle body position from B545 Renault Safrane Biturbo

Fuel Injection System:
Multipoint Renault Renix Fenix 3A ECU engine management system, with custom maps and value.
Electronic Fuel Injection, Electronic Ignition with spark distributor.
Fuel rail pressure regulator, 3,3bar from B545 Renault Safrane Biturbo

Single Throttle Body, 55mm diameter from Renault Espace V6 J63
Injectors, big displacement, 450cc, good for 400hp. from B545 Renault Safrane Biturbo

Turbos
2 X GT15 Turbo

Air Inlet 1.75"
Air Outlet 1.5"
Bearing Wet Floating Bearings
Wastegate 13PSI
Compressor .35 A/R Compressor
Compressor Wheel Exducer: 49mm
Inducer:36.4mm
Turbine Wheel Exducer: 34.95mm
Inducer:41.35mm

Oil system for engine and turbos:
Bigger oil pump in engine block – with higher flow than original Delorean
Oil cooling: 7 row air to air radiator
All oil lines made in stainless-teflon and stainless-rubber, with aluminium anodized racing fittings.

Gearbox:

Manual transmission, 5 speed all syncronized.
Type: Renault UN1 – 07 from Alpine GTA V6 Turbo D501
Reinforced internals – clutch input coupler from DPNW
Modified to fit Delorean leverage and mounts
Clutch: Standard organic clutch, with higher pression plate from Alpine GTA V6 Turbo D501

Brake system:

Improved custom powerfull front brake system
Vented Brake disc - 266mm diam, 20mm width ( stock delorean is 254mm, not vented )
4 POT Lighter Aluminium Billett Caliper ( stock delorean is 2 POT casted iron caliper )
Stainless steel – teflon brake lines
RED stuff EBC Kevlar pads.

Suspensions:
Front and Rear AVO Shocks, Adjustable stiffness, 14setting. Custom lowered Springs.
Every stock rubber silent-bloc replaced with Polyuretane harder bushing.
Custom Front lower arm reinforcement, DMC-EU modified, with harder ADIPOL bushings and custom weldings.

Future Plans:
Working complete custom front suspensions, adjustable.
Rear ARB.
Take out the oil radiator and use a big Oil-Water heat exchanger in the place of the Auto trans oil cooler.

Spittybug
10-22-2011, 08:28 PM
Hummm, am I more impressed with the car or the ladies?

Dangermouse
10-22-2011, 10:37 PM
Hummm, am I more impressed with the car or the ladies?

Definitely the car! The ladies you can get anywhere, but the car is pretty unique.

DMCVegas
10-23-2011, 12:19 PM
That's interesting. In photos 4 & 5, if you look close enough you can see a DeLorean.

In all seriousness though, is there really a difference in water pumps between the GTA turbo block a an NA one?

cineman
10-23-2011, 01:05 PM
That's interesting. In photos 4 & 5, if you look close enough you can see a DeLorean.

In all seriousness though, is there really a difference in water pumps between the GTA turbo block a an NA one?

Not great differences, is just a different pulley. In the oem factory configuration also the thermostat housing exit is on the opposite side, but you can turn it.
Big differences however with the late original 3.0lt waterpumps, that has also bigger wheel inside... but they have a very different design, and i preffered to use the GTA one, cause is more similar to the Delorean but with 5PK belt.

Soundkillr
10-23-2011, 03:25 PM
Can you post some closer pics of the intercoolers?

sean
10-23-2011, 07:36 PM
Can you post some closer pics of the intercoolers?

And be intercoolers of course he means ladies.....

Farrar
10-24-2011, 12:12 AM
Yes, a better view of the rear end would be nice...

cineman
10-24-2011, 03:14 AM
Yes, a better view of the rear end would be nice...

but more than this we need to go to the chicks thread ;)

sean
10-24-2011, 06:57 AM

but more than this we need to go to the chicks thread ;)

Um...what are you waiting for! load them puppies up!

Farrar
10-24-2011, 09:30 AM
Hey you guys! I was talking about the suspension. Sheesh.

Farrar

cineman
03-06-2012, 05:42 PM
Good season is opening here in Italy, time to take the car out of storage and make the first runs ;) !
I'm still running the remapped Renault ECU, the megasquirt i'm working with it's still not powerfull like my current maps and still needs more tuning... we'll see for the next race !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoheOf9ekLc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_J9zyeB38M

I have to say, another time, that the original gearbox ratio are awfull for this kind of road. First gear ends soon, and make the clutch slip if you use it in corner at 6500rpm ^^ and second gear is than too long for going out of a corner and take some quick speed... I have an Alpine GTA un1 gearbox unit, but same final drive.
Martin, if are you reading, i sent you a pm for the shorter final drive ;) !
Andrea

Spittybug
03-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Andrea, what is the high pitched "squeal" noise at every clutch engagement? Really nasty sound. On that kind of course, I'm not sure your turbos really help you, do they? I would think they were always winding up more that delivering.

That aside, who other than me wants to go live somewhere where the actually set up road courses like this for people to race! I'm jealous! Viva Italia!

Soundkillr
03-06-2012, 06:55 PM
Andrea, what is the high pitched "squeal" noise at every clutch engagement? Really nasty sound. On that kind of course, I'm not sure your turbos really help you, do they? I would think they were always winding up more that delivering.

That aside, who other than me wants to go live somewhere where the actually set up road courses like this for people to race! I'm jealous! Viva Italia!

I think that noise if the blow off valves for the turbos...

opethmike
03-06-2012, 07:08 PM
I think that noise if the blow off valves for the turbos...

Definitely blow-off valves. Ooof. Never could stand that sound.

Mike C.
03-06-2012, 09:23 PM
Definitely blow-off valves. Ooof. Never could stand that sound.

Love that sound when there's power behind it :)

Nice vids!

opethmike
03-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Love that sound when there's power behind it :)

Nice vids!

To each his own :)

cineman
03-07-2012, 04:15 AM

The noise is the blow-off valve. I can put the hose back in the filter to not hear it, but for this events people like strange noise ;) !

I assure you the turbos does help and make a good pressure from very low rpm and no lag, but remember the turbos are very small, 2 T15, and pressure is at about 0.8 bar so they spin and give low-flat torque, not big power on the end, but I would like to change them with 2 bigger T25 - T28 and have some more old-style "oompf" :)

... and BTW i also admit the one in the video was one of the worst of the entire day XD but making "chicane" with the delorean steering is not the best compared to our european short wheelbase cars :)

DCUK Martin
03-08-2012, 03:49 PM
I have to say, another time, that the original gearbox ratio are awfull for this kind of road. First gear ends soon, and make the clutch slip if you use it in corner at 6500rpm

I did warn you to buy the genuine A610 clutch.... :banghead:

and second gear is than too long for going out of a corner and take some quick speed... I have an Alpine GTA un1 gearbox unit, but same final drive.

The strengthened gearset I sell from GTO racing has a taller 1st and 2nd.

;)

cineman
03-10-2012, 01:22 PM
I did warn you to buy the genuine A610 clutch.... :banghead:

The strengthened gearset I sell from GTO racing has a taller 1st and 2nd.

;)

I have to work on the gearbox for sure :P when will be the time i'll be in the market for a A610 clutch. How much can you sell it for ? My current source is quite very expansive for that ! I can go to a twin AP clutch for the same money

nico
03-11-2012, 03:53 AM
I have to work on the gearbox for sure :P when will be the time i'll be in the market for a A610 clutch. How much can you sell it for ? My current source is quite very expansive for that ! I can go to a twin AP clutch for the same money

what're you doing whit your delorean andrea ??
this car is not made for circuit racing and it never wil.
keep this one on the road and buy another car for racing
sorry , but that's my opinion

nico
vin 3662 twin turbo

DCUK Martin
03-11-2012, 05:56 AM
Hi Nico, I really support what Andrea is doing because while the car "was never designed for circuit racing", it is a sister of the Lotus Esprit and a cousin of the Renault Alpine GTA/A610, all more powerful more capable cars. Let's see what the DeLorean is capable of before dismissing it as an exercise in turning it in to something it isn't.

nico
03-11-2012, 07:23 AM
Hi Nico, I really support what Andrea is doing because while the car "was never designed for circuit racing", it is a sister of the Lotus Esprit and a cousin of the Renault Alpine GTA/A610, all more powerful more capable cars. Let's see what the DeLorean is capable of before dismissing it as an exercise in turning it in to something it isn't.

hi martin
both front wheels make the same cirkel and that gives a lot of friction in the curve's
maybe the lotus and renault haven't this problem
i was whit my delorean on the circuit in zandvoort (holland) and it was terrible. and never do this again
so the front wheel steering is the problem,not the car itself martin.

nico

cineman
03-11-2012, 07:52 AM
what're you doing whit your delorean andrea ??

...said the one with the other custom 260hp Twin Turbo Delorean :cool1: !
Great to hear you again Nico ;) ! Is your car going good ?
To be onest, i can understand if someone talk me about originality and keeping the car stock for a collecting value, and that will be an opinion i can understand, but both me and you did a great work on the engine for a simple reason: we like technical works ! you like making dutcts, exhaust, weldings... i like more working on the electronic.
And look at this: i'm not changin the nature of the car, i'm just working on what it's already on. I want to keep and use my car even for going on the road, and I will not make real racing: this things are mostly for show, i dont pretend to making time or fight someone with lot better cars... Lancia, Renault or who said...!
The ultimate goal is having fun and experiment what we can do with the car, and make something someone never did ! Twin Turbo PRV engine, and you did the same. Delorean brakes are not the best even with stock car, so i made them better. Suspensions... we know they can be improved for a safety reason, and lot of us did in many ways ( Ed's reinforce, polyurethane bushings etc... ). I just want to make the most i can. And i know i can work with the gearbox for at least riding good!
That race was onestly really shitty, and i found the gearbox ratio to be the real fault, ( apart the driver :smile: !! ) and also the steering, like you say.
Maybe i can look for a short ratio steering box in the future... but I have to consider i still want to use it on the road ;)
So a little short gearbox ( or just 1st-2nd ) is ok.. other things i prefer not.
I will not put a rollcage in my Delorean. But someone did that also, and can we said bad of it ? I think no :) i saw really great jobs.
There are quite the same numbers of Delorean and Renault Alpine made, ( so is not a "rarity" talk ) but no-one is concerned if you make a custom Alpine than stock...
I have also a Renault Alpine GTA, and im restoring it for making more real race, so dont worry that i will have a limit with the Delorean ;) !

cineman
03-14-2012, 01:31 PM
An interesting package arrived today for my car.
Turbo's need the best cooling possible, and on a Delorean the cooling can be a problem. Even more, the PRV oil pump is not the best in the motor heaven...
I hope Nico is stil reading...you remember Nico we talked about an oil heat exchanger for cooling better a twin turbo? Here is mine... quite expansive I have to say! but very important for me, and i trashed all the old bad little oil cooler and lines. This will be the defìnitive way i think.

here is it
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-4Re9cT2Ijlk/T2DSnTfOt3I/AAAAAAAAIRQ/AR9xS_RTXrM/s640/IMG_1228.JPG

will be go here, in the place of the automatic transmission oill cooler ( manual doesnt have... and this is not my car frame but a customer ;) )
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-3F6jDn_N574/T2DSyUo5EyI/AAAAAAAAIRw/v7NuWmCYkV8/s640/IMG_1233.JPG

In the place of this
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-lZCgQI5Y1Tg/T2DS1egIPrI/AAAAAAAAIR4/f9DUMwAL77Q/s640/IMG_1234.JPG

No-one did it uh 8) ? I'm a crazy Delorean pioneer...:angry_whip:

DCUK Martin
03-17-2012, 07:57 AM
Even more, the PRV oil pump is not the best in the motor heaven...

You know the later engines have a higher flow rate than the DeLorean one?

Domi
03-17-2012, 08:44 AM
Keep us update Andrea, sound really interesting :)
Nico, I sent you a FB invitation please :wave:

cineman
03-17-2012, 01:20 PM
You know the later engines have a higher flow rate than the DeLorean one?

sure, that's one of the reason i went with a 3.0lt safrane biturbo block...lot of little better things for a turbo... (oil pump, side crossed bolt, sodium valves etc... )

EarlHickey
05-08-2012, 12:39 AM
Fantastico! Superb! I'm envious!