wtbstuff
10-25-2011, 01:28 PM
Anyone know anything about this?

http://nashville.craigslist.org/for/2651971983.html

I just stumbled upon it.

Jay

StainlessBullet
10-25-2011, 10:20 PM
Interesting... I may have to check it out this weekend. I wonder what kind of shape it's in?

I sent them an email, just waiting to hear back.

tgraham
10-29-2011, 02:42 PM
I saw a notice a few weeks ago and made the trek to this auction to take a look at this DeLorean. It sold for $4k to a typical auction-trolling wheeler dealer, so you'll probably see it pop up again on eBay :) This buyer was NOT a DeLorean aficionado, but as he put it, "I know what these cars are worth!" He thinks he got a screaming deal and was clearly willing to pay a lot more than he did (and definitely more than I would be willing to pay).

The auctioneer kept hyping that this was "signed by John DeLorean!" I couldn't see the signature - the glove box was brown, the passenger door didn't open, and the windows were too filthy. I caravanned from Nashville to DCS events in 1998 and 2000 with this car... it looked good then and was in good shape. It's in extremely poor condition now. Some of you who were on the DML back in that era may recognize this car.

Judging by the tree/bush that has grown through the air dam (which was freshly cut off), this car has clearly been sitting still in its field for quite some time. I didn't even bother looking at the frame. In typical fashion, they tried to start the car before the auction (!) - it did not start. The smell of fuel on the inside covered up most of the stench of mold, old broken beer bottles, and whatever else was inside.

The VIN is 6569, Nov 81 build, ~12k miles on the odometer. It's a pretty sad situation (and not just regarding the car).

Travis

Iznodmad
10-29-2011, 03:41 PM
I figured you would take a look at it Travis, thanks for giving the forum a look at what you found. Looks from the pics it also has a flat hood. Did it always have the flat hood? (b/c by the VIN it should have grooved of course). Damn shame someone would let a (formerly) good condition car go to crap like that, and it only took about a decade to decay to that level.

sean
10-29-2011, 05:01 PM
Very sad :shock:. Thanks for sharing the leg work.

Michael
10-29-2011, 07:03 PM
The new owner is in store for a hard lesson.

tgraham
10-30-2011, 12:20 AM
Looks from the pics it also has a flat hood. Did it always have the flat hood?

Yes, this car has a flat hood. From my photos from ~1999 & 2000, it was like that at the time, too.

Travis

Chris Burns
10-30-2011, 09:50 AM
I saw a notice a few weeks ago and made the trek to this auction to take a look at this DeLorean. It sold for $4k to a typical auction-trolling wheeler dealer, so you'll probably see it pop up again on eBay :) This buyer was NOT a DeLorean aficionado, but as he put it, "I know what these cars are worth!" He thinks he got a screaming deal and was clearly willing to pay a lot more than he did (and definitely more than I would be willing to pay).

The auctioneer kept hyping that this was "signed by John DeLorean!" I couldn't see the signature - the glove box was brown, the passenger door didn't open, and the windows were too filthy. I caravanned from Nashville to DCS events in 1998 and 2000 with this car... it looked good then and was in good shape. It's in extremely poor condition now. Some of you who were on the DML back in that era may recognize this car.

Judging by the tree/bush that has grown through the air dam (which was freshly cut off), this car has clearly been sitting still in its field for quite some time. I didn't even bother looking at the frame. In typical fashion, they tried to start the car before the auction (!) - it did not start. The smell of fuel on the inside covered up most of the stench of mold, old broken beer bottles, and whatever else was inside.

The VIN is 6569, Nov 81 build, ~12k miles on the odometer. It's a pretty sad situation (and not just regarding the car).

Travis

:bawling:

What a mess that one is! That is no way to treat a D. I wonder if anything is useable on it.

PlutonimicX
10-30-2011, 10:12 AM
I'm just a little worried this guy is going to let this car get worse in hopes that he could double or triple his money in a couple years.

Michael
10-30-2011, 12:01 PM
I'm just a little worried.....

I'm not

SamHill
10-30-2011, 01:30 PM
TWBRO.

Can you share a pic of the car from happier times?

Dangermouse
10-31-2011, 08:55 AM
Did this car get Second Place in the >100,000mile category at DCS'98?

One, owned by BB with this VIN, had 109,634 at the time. Which would put the mileage at 112,000

(Though I'm not sure how accurate these records are :) )

StainlessBullet
11-05-2011, 01:32 AM
I tried emailing them several times before the auction to find out where it was being held, but I never received a response from them.

In the ad it said they were also auctioning DeLorean memorabilia. What all did they have?

Iznodmad
01-20-2012, 09:17 PM
This car has indeed now showed up on ebay, only took 3 months to surface. BIN is $9K with opening bid of $7,500. Buyers beware!

Dangermouse
01-23-2012, 01:40 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DeLorean-/300653084241?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item460051fe51&ssPageName=RSS:B:SHOP:US:101#vi-content

$7800 at the moment, with 7 days to go, for a non-runner with this lovely frame

http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n513/DMP615/DSC07018.jpg

just for fun, I am going assume that the high bidder v******b is actually videobob :), though I don't know if, when ebay make the bidder name anonymous the change that start and end letters as well as adding the *'s

tgraham
01-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Looks like the seller did nothing to it... except remove the tree from protruding through the front grill :)

Travis

Jimmyvonviggle
01-23-2012, 02:42 PM
Wow that car is in bad shape. That D is going to need a major investment and a dedicated and patient owner. I love how the current owner tries to make like the car started a few years back and that it simply needs a battery. That D is not going anywhere soon.

Dangermouse
01-23-2012, 03:00 PM
Looks like the seller did nothing to it... except remove the tree from protruding through the front grill :)

Travis

Not True !

They also cleaned the green mold off the inlet manifold :clown: