PDA

View Full Version : New fiberglass fascia / bumper cover

DMCH James
10-26-2011, 08:43 PM
We missed having them in time for the Open House earlier this month, but here are the latest photos of the fiberglass front fascia aka bumper covers. The unit shown in these photos is the first piece out of the mold, and we should have it in our hands sometime next week. From that point forward, these will be available for sale. Note that we were able to integrate the 105678 "Front Fascia Reinforcing Panel"! Pricing still being set...

James

sean
10-26-2011, 08:45 PM
Nice! Will you guys sell them like this or painted? If you send them just "primed" would you supply the proper paint codes?

jackb
10-26-2011, 08:47 PM
Very cool. Do you plan on selling them painted or unpainted? If painted, what shade?

Edit - Sean beat me too it. Great minds think alike I guess.

DMCH James
10-26-2011, 08:58 PM
They'll need to be fitted prior to painting, much like a fiberglass body kit. They will be in gelcoat finish, we will have paint codes to provide.

James

Farrar
10-26-2011, 09:18 PM
Where's the "I'm in love" emoticon? :D

Awesome work, James! With the exception of the reinforcement plate, will all the other hardware (e.g. headlight buckets) attach as always?

Farrar

Michael
10-26-2011, 10:55 PM
That is something I think the community has needed for some time. Is there any chance the gel coat can be done in black, or even a semi-gloss black?

sean
10-27-2011, 09:00 AM
That is something I think the community has needed for some time. Is there any chance the gel coat can be done in black, or even a semi-gloss black?

+1

Be nice to get some consistency with fascia color too. It seems the OEM color has been dying out.

DMCH James
10-27-2011, 09:07 AM
The company that we've contracted with to produce these for us typically does the "flexible" fiberglass in white and the "rigid" fiberglass in black for all their other products. The black should not be considered an acceptable final finish for the black areas of the fascia.

James

DMCVegas
10-27-2011, 09:37 AM
http://rlv.zcache.com/me_gusta_face_text_poster-p228217523636859190trma_400.jpg

Any chance that instructions will be included or referenced on how to trim and fit the fiberglass? It's not something that I myself am familiar with.

Mark D
10-27-2011, 09:37 AM
James these look totally bad ass. I'm surprised by the lack of fanfare and excitement from other people on the board so far. It's cool to see the recent wave of these newly available parts. Fascias, windshields, binnacles, fuel level senders, etc.

Thanks for your hard work making these new parts a reality!

natesky
10-27-2011, 09:47 AM
Looks great! My car's front fascia still looks pretty good but does appear to be shrinking a touch. I'd hope/think the panel gaps, while still a challenge, should be able to be made very tight/consistent with this.

Thanks!

-Nathan

dmcjohn
10-27-2011, 10:17 AM
Looks great, well done!

vin6635
10-27-2011, 10:29 AM
Love it! My fascia's been fitted with metal bars but it still sags...and drives me crazy!? Definitely something to think about if the price makes sense.

DMCMW Dave
10-27-2011, 10:44 AM
Any chance that instructions will be included or referenced on how to trim and fit the fiberglass? It's not something that I myself am familiar with.

I suspect it will be along the lines of "trim to fit before painting". I would not expect a 3-page course in "How To Do Auto Body Fiberglass Repair 101". For most people this will probably require assistance of a body shop to install, i.e. probably the guy you have paint it.

Farrar
10-27-2011, 11:28 AM
You will have to have a body shop install it and fit it; after that, the price of painting it will be negligible.

I like it! :D

Farrar

DeloreanJoshQ
10-27-2011, 12:36 PM
You will have to have a body shop install it and fit it; after that, the price of painting it will be negligible.

I like it! :D

Farrar

When will matching rear bumpers be available James?

This is awesome! Great work!

SoCalDMC12
10-27-2011, 12:43 PM
Looks great, well done!

+1!

Tamir A.
10-27-2011, 08:42 PM
Very Cool stuff!

Is the reinforcement panel something that will help avoid eyebrows on these new fascias? Or was there anything done to stiffen those portions above the headlamps?

T.

DMCMW Dave
10-27-2011, 09:30 PM
Very Cool stuff!

Is the reinforcement panel something that will help avoid eyebrows on these new fascias? Or was there anything done to stiffen those portions above the headlamps?

T.

The reinforcement panel mentioned is the fiberglass panel in the OEM configuration that is mounted under the urethane and actually attaches it to the body. (when your luggage hood is open you see it across the front of the trunk with all the screws in it). Rather than being a separate part it will now be part of the fascia itself.

With the whole fascia being fiberglass rather than urethane foam, it will tend to be very permanantly shaped. You don't see Corvette fenders wilting in the sun. . . .

DMCNY
10-29-2011, 07:29 AM
The company that we've contracted with to produce these for us typically does the "flexible" fiberglass in white and the "rigid" fiberglass in black for all their other products. The black should not be considered an acceptable final finish for the black areas of the fascia.

James

So are these going to be "rigid" and come finished in black gelcoat?

I think I'd much rather prefer the "rigid" cover and black gelcoat.

Pictures look great BTW, James.

* Paying close attention to thread and listening for pricing :) *

tyb323
10-29-2011, 09:23 AM
I think I'd much rather prefer the "rigid" cover and black gelcoat.

So are you saying you never want to be able to install/adjust/remove your headlights? =)

DMCNY
10-29-2011, 11:03 PM
So are you saying you never want to be able to install/adjust/remove your headlights? =)

No, thats not what I'm saying. I'm saying I would want a rigid fiberglass bumper, not a flexable one...I already have one of those.

Why couldn't I install/remove/adjust my headlights?

Have you ever removed/installed or adjusted a headlight on a DeLorean with a stock bumper? It's still no fun task even with the flexability of the bumper IMHO. You still have to be careful not to scratch up the bumper when replacing them.

I think it would be much easier to install your headlights, adjust them and then install your bumper. How often do you need to replace the headlights? How often do you need to readjust them? For me it would be worth the extra effort to pull the bumper to take care of the headlights for as often as they would need attention.

To each thier own on that though.

Flexable fiberglass? Does anybody know about the longevity of that stuff? I sure don't. Never even heard of it.

Farrar
10-30-2011, 10:24 AM
I think it would be much easier to install your headlights, adjust them and then install your bumper.

Bingo.

This is why my original idea (when I started asking about stiffer front fascias in a different thread some time ago) was to have an entire new mounting scheme for the headlights similar to (but not exactly like) a modern car -- perhaps headlight buckets equipped with studs which poke through holes in the fascia; an access panel in the body would be removed facilitating access to the studs (and adjusting screws, mounted "backwards"). But this would involve heavy redesign/re-engineering and cutting into the fiberglass (!); Houston's solution is much more appropriate for people wishing to keep their car closer to stock form, and I see nothing wrong with it. In fact I hope to get one and cure Sparky's eyebrows permanently! :D

Farrar

DMC5180
10-30-2011, 10:31 AM
I can't say I've ever heard of "Flexible fiberglass". Unless the resin being used has some sort of semi-hardening component too it. Or, the thickness of the lay-up is very thin. Example: If the Fiberglass thickness an resin content were as thick as the OEM urethane , it would tend to be very stiff. That is not to say It wouldn't have some flex to it. Just don't expect it to survive any kind of impact. Either way it's great to see Continued development of cost effective Replacement Parts.

Ozzie
10-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Wow. ..and I was excited over the new coolant hoses.
Great job DMCH, keep 'em coming.

DMC5180
10-30-2011, 12:00 PM
Alright I may need too eat some crow here. It suppose I should have actually looked at the Photo's at the beginning of this thread before making the previous post Based on comments in the thread.

Hey! I know that Car. Gotta love those Factory PIN STRIPES :histerical1:

That's VERY nice composite work. I can see how this would have some flexibility too it. When I scanned the small picture's the lay-up looked like basic chopped glass and resin. I see now that it is nice woven glass. I am curious what the average thickness is. I'd guess 1/8-3/16. I like the multi-part tool that keeps the OEM Edge lines. I can't imagine having any issues with trim & fit up.

chew chew yuck I HATE FEATHERS! lol

DMCMW Dave
10-30-2011, 12:30 PM
If you feel like making a drive you can check it out in person. The car in the pictures will be here tomorrow with the white 'glass fascia still in place.

The car will be up for sale by spring. Without pinstripes!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

DMC5180
10-30-2011, 01:12 PM
I just might do that! I was wondering if it was near the shop or shipped off to parts unknown. It may be the last substantial drive do with the D this fall.

SamHill
10-31-2011, 03:38 PM
* Paying close attention to thread and listening for pricing :) *

*cough*

DMCH James
10-31-2011, 03:53 PM
Until we've had a chance to inspect the fascia in person, and spend a little time with it, there will be no pricing update. If we want changes or modifications, all that will have an effect on the price. That said, I want it as soon as possible, too!

James

DMC5180
10-31-2011, 09:46 PM
Well James, I saw it today and can definitely say its an EXCELLENT Piece. The Fitment was perfect. I like the way the header panel was integrated into the design. I think you've got a definite winner. Can't wait to see same work done to the rear facia.

DMCH James
11-02-2011, 12:45 PM
We got our sample here in Texas today and test-fit it to a couple different cars in the shop and agree with Dennis' assessment about fit. We're pleasantly surprised that it fits as well as it does, considering the differences in the cars we normally see.

The fiberglass piece - with integrated header panel - weighs in at 10.4 pounds. An NOS part and a header panel together weight 15.4 pounds.

Changing headlights in the future with the piece, as near as we can tell, will be a chore. We're going to encourage people to replace/test headlights prior to fitting the fascia because of this. We're also looking into precut 3M Headlight protecting film for the headlights to try and ward off stone damage that would necessitate replacement.

James

Farrar
11-02-2011, 12:48 PM
James,

I know you're past the point of having made this decision, but I am curious if there was a point where you considered mounting the headlight buckets to the fascia itself, and if so, why you decided against it (like it looked good on paper but couldn't be done in reality or whatever).

Thanks,
Farrar

DMCH James
11-02-2011, 12:53 PM
It was considered briefly, but after talking with the fabrication/mold team at the supplier, there was concern that doing so would eventually cause stress cracks/damage in that area. In reality, it's very infrequent to change a headlight unless there's damage, so we went with a design more closely matching original.

James

Farrar
11-02-2011, 12:58 PM
James, thanks for that info. :)

Farrar

sean
11-02-2011, 01:02 PM
It was considered briefly, but after talking with the fabrication/mold team at the supplier, there was concern that doing so would eventually cause stress cracks/damage in that area. In reality, it's very infrequent to change a headlight unless there's damage, so we went with a design more closely matching original.

James

Perhaps a redesigned HL bucket/mount is being worked on?

Farrar
11-02-2011, 01:25 PM
Perhaps a redesigned HL bucket/mount is being worked on?

I was thinking of this -- but more along the lines of the fact that, with Houston's H4 lamp upgrade, one would only need access to the back of the housings to change the bulbs. (If they're like most H4 housings, the bulbs clip into place and are sealed with a piece of rubber -- undo the clip and the bulb pulls out.) But that would involve making access from within the trunk area, and I doubt there are a lot of folks who would be willing to make such a drastic change to their car's underbody as cutting holes, installing riv-nuts, and fitting access panels. :shock:

Farrar

sean
11-02-2011, 01:27 PM
I was thinking more of a retaining panel that could be installed from behind the grill and slide over the HLs and hold them in place.

SamHill
11-02-2011, 01:42 PM
I was thinking more of a retaining panel that could be installed from behind the grill and slide over the HLs and hold them in place.

I like that a lot.

Nicholas R
11-02-2011, 03:38 PM
I have a set of the DMCH ground effects side skirts at home right now that I haven't yet painted or installed. James can you comment on the rigidity of these new fascias relative to the rigidity of those side skirts? Is it the same; are they more or less ductile than the side skirts?

If I'm not mistaken, under the primer, the side skirts are black fiberglass. Is this the same black fiberglass as in the white vs black fiberglass mentioned earlier?

Thanks again! This is an awesome improved part!

DMC5180
11-02-2011, 05:20 PM
As I recall the ground effects are rather thin and flexible to some extent. The facia is more rigid by far.
I recall Mr. Robinson saying he mounted his headlight bracket assemblies upside down. By doing so this eliminated the need to flex the top of the facia for screw access.
This might be worth looking at as an alternative. We won't know till it's tried on one of these fiber glass units.

QuadcityDMC
11-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Just saw this in person at DMCMW - WOW! I will be getting one come spring time. The fit is great, and it just look sharp all the way around. Only thing I saw that could be a little trouble is removing headlights, but Dave said they are looking into softer fiberglass to flex, but I like that hard fiberglass.

The way it attaches is great, less bolts.

DMCNY
11-13-2011, 06:27 PM
Any word on pricing for these yet?

DMC5180
11-13-2011, 09:52 PM
When they finalize everything, I'm guessing there will be two price options. Finished and Unfinished.

Many folks won't want to deal with finding a Body shop to finish the facia. They just want too be able to bolt it up and be done with.

Personally, I can't wait to see a rear facia done in this process. One that is straight. I think we've all seen the smiling rear facia and the upper corners shrunken and sucked down.

DMCMW Dave
11-13-2011, 10:11 PM
When they finalize everything, I'm guessing there will be two price options. Finished and Unfinished.

I don't know pricing but I do know that there will not be a pre-finished option. You will need to get it done locally, just like ANY other car on the market. We also think that with some cars it is possible that "whittling to fit" will be necessary. You won't want to paint it before test-fitting it on your particular car.

One of the biggest hassles with the old ones was shipping damage to the paint. This way you can find your own local favorite body shop and have them deal with any issues without shipping such a huge part back and forth.

DMCH is planning to release paint codes in a modern paint.

DMC5180
11-14-2011, 11:15 AM
For the reasons given, unfinished makes perfect sense.

Have or will multiple molds be made off of the master Plug for production.

Do you have an up close photo of the combined header to facia area?

Just wondering if the aft edge of the upper facia drops straight down 90 degrees or overhangs enough for for contour (gap matching) of the hood line.

DMCMW Dave
11-14-2011, 11:52 AM
------
1 Have or will multiple molds be made off of the master Plug for production.

Do you have an up close photo of the combined header to facia area?

Just wondering if the aft edge of the upper facia drops straight down 90 degrees or overhangs enough for for contour (gap matching) of the hood line.

1 Don't know. Not an issue.

2 Not at the moment but when I pull this fascia (or just the hood) off I'll take one.

3 There is about 1/8" lip at that point but if you grind it down you'll have to re-form the slightly rounded edge.

1batt4u
11-14-2011, 12:31 PM
This is the first I hear of this!!! Sounds great!! Will you guys be making the rear fascia as well??

Have you also thought of carbon fiber as well, as an option.

DMCMW Dave
11-14-2011, 01:20 PM
This is the first I hear of this!!! Sounds great!! Will you guys be making the rear fascia as well??

Have you also thought of carbon fiber as well, as an option.

--Not until the OEMs run out.

--Yes, for about 5 seconds. Nobody could afford it.

Grover
11-14-2011, 01:55 PM
Dave,

By OEMs do you mean good, re-usable, fixable ones?
or are there still NOS in stock?

--Yes, for about 5 seconds. Nobody could afford it.

DMCNY
11-14-2011, 02:16 PM
Hey Dave, if you have a camera out taking pictures, would you mind taking a low/side-profile shot for me?

Like this.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=6851&d=1321297995

Thanks!

DMCMW Dave
11-14-2011, 02:49 PM
By OEMs do you mean good, re-usable, fixable ones?
or are there still NOS in stock?

NOS (rear)

Hey Dave, if you have a camera out taking pictures, would you mind taking a low/side-profile shot for me?

Thanks!

See below. I took a second shot as it appears to be way too large in the first one due to some wierd shadowing. It isn't.

6853 6854

DMCNY
11-14-2011, 03:22 PM
See below. I took a second shot as it appears to be way too large in the first one due to some wierd shadowing. It isn't.

Thank you for the picture Dave! Thats perfect.

I wanted to see the "curve" the bumper has to it, and it looks right on.

The line above the headlights and grille look nice and straight, too. I see it even has that very slight little dip in the top center of the grille area that seems to be inherent to all the fascia's, even when new.

Great looking piece! Can't wait to hear pricing and avalibility on these.

Or, you might as well just sell me that one Dave. :wink:

Thanks again for the pictures.

DMC5180
11-14-2011, 06:56 PM
See how perfectly it matches the Fender. The other side is exactly the same. Fit up is dead on.

DMCMW Dave
11-15-2011, 12:21 PM
White parts are a bear to photograph. We pulled this one off the car here today (it will be on display here through the winter although I'll probably get it painted soon).

Here are a couple of attempts at showing the integrated support.

DMCH James
11-15-2011, 08:36 PM
We still have yet to receive our "flexible" version but have been playing around with ways of working with the mounting in regards to the headlights. We've not found anyway to "flip" the headlight brackets and make anything work.

We have decided that in the shop we will be omitting the outer-most screw on the headlight bezel and we'll also be encouraging some protective film for the headlights themselves (which we've sourced and will soon have in stock, too).

Retail for the fascia is $995, plus shipping. It can go by Fedex Ground, too.

http://store.delorean.com/p-9689-front-fascia.aspx

Minimum of one week from time of order to shipment at present.

James

DCUK Martin
11-16-2011, 03:46 PM
We have decided that in the shop we will be omitting the outer-most screw on the headlight bezel

I made that decision years ago :biggrin:

Farrar
11-16-2011, 04:24 PM
I made that decision years ago :biggrin:

I wish I'd known this was possible (without risk, that is) before I scraped the heck out of my fascia paint -- not that it needed any help getting scratched, of course. ;)

Farrar

DeloreanJoshQ
11-17-2011, 10:04 AM

How many rear NOS bumpers are remaining Dave?

I would like to purchase the front fascia, but will wait until the rear fiberglass fascia is available as well.
I want the front and rear to match in quality/material and I would get them painted at the same time to further insure they match.
I'm picky:)

DeloreanJoshQ
11-17-2011, 12:08 PM
We still have yet to receive our "flexible" version but have been playing around with ways of working with the mounting in regards to the headlights. We've not found anyway to "flip" the headlight brackets and make anything work.

We have decided that in the shop we will be omitting the outer-most screw on the headlight bezel and we'll also be encouraging some protective film for the headlights themselves (which we've sourced and will soon have in stock, too).

James

I'm not sure if anyone else has brought this up yet....Is it possible to upgrade the headlights to the capsule design and then modify the front tub so that you can reach in through the jack/tool cover(though difficult) and be able to change the bulbs without removing the front fascia?

Just a thought...

Farrar
11-17-2011, 12:13 PM
I'm not sure if anyone else has brought this up yet...

I have brought it up a few times and it's always been put back down by others. If you want to make that happen, you will have to "pioneer" a solution on your own car. Unless I beat you to it. ;-)

Farrar

DMCH James
11-17-2011, 01:29 PM
Several years worth, at the current rate of sale. Most of these are "take-off" fascias - ones that were taken off cars at the QAC's over the years, typically for paint damage. These are otherwise new and we have been having these repainted and using/selling them here. After those are gone, then are the takeoffs that we have here that have been removed from used cars/customer cars over the years that we've piled up here in the warehouse. Those can be refurbed, too.

It will be, I'm estimating, 5-7 years before we see fiberglass rears, barring any dramatic change in the usage of them.

James

How many rear NOS bumpers are remaining Dave?

I would like to purchase the front fascia, but will wait until the rear fiberglass fascia is available as well.
I want the front and rear to match in quality/material and I would get them painted at the same time to further insure they match.
I'm picky:)

jawn101
11-17-2011, 01:41 PM
Are there a good amount of NOS or takeoff front fascias as well, or is that supply running out? If they are still around, will there be a change in price for them?

DMCH James
11-17-2011, 01:46 PM
Zero NOS or takeoff. All that is left are "used" parts and we all know how they typically look. We've experimented internally and from a local bumper cover specialist with heating, straightening and reinforcing and never been thrilled with the long-term results. We're still keeping used parts when we can, but now that we've fitted one of the fiberglass ones (easy!), we're not likely to pursue refurbing fronts any further at this time.

James

Are there a good amount of NOS or takeoff front fascias as well, or is that supply running out? If they are still around, will there be a change in price for them?

Farrar
11-17-2011, 01:48 PM
James, how long does installation take -- including fit and paint? Is this the type of job I could drive in and have done or would an appointment be necessary?

Farrar

sean
11-17-2011, 02:10 PM
All that is left are "used" parts and we all know how they typically look...

Are these for sale? In the future I could see me wanting one to go along with my rear fascia wall mount. Heck, you guys could probably make them presentable enough and sell them as wall hangers, cash from trash right? :D

DMCH James
11-17-2011, 04:42 PM
James, how long does installation take -- including fit and paint? Is this the type of job I could drive in and have done or would an appointment be necessary?

Farrar

You would want to at least make an appointment. The fascia's come to us unpainted and then the ideal path is to remove the old one, fit the new one, then send it for paint and re-install. That's at least a two day process, in a perfect world.

We've tried this one we have here on a couple of different cars and the fit is very good amongst all of them without any additional bodywork/fitting required. *If* that holds true, we could theoretically get one in, paint it, and then have it ready to install when you roll up. In that case, though, you get what you get.

James

jawn101
11-17-2011, 04:57 PM
You would want to at least make an appointment. The fascia's come to us unpainted and then the ideal path is to remove the old one, fit the new one, then send it for paint and re-install. That's at least a two day process, in a perfect world.

We've tried this one we have here on a couple of different cars and the fit is very good amongst all of them without any additional bodywork/fitting required. *If* that holds true, we could theoretically get one in, paint it, and then have it ready to install when you roll up. In that case, though, you get what you get.

James

They'll be available at the affiliates too, right? So I could go to Garden Grove instead of hauling all the way to Houston? :)

DMCH James
11-17-2011, 05:00 PM
They'll be available at the affiliates too, right? So I could go to Garden Grove instead of hauling all the way to Houston? :)

Each dealer will have the option of stocking them...whether or not they will is up to them. And whoever they use to paint may need more/less time so you'd be best to coordinate with whomever is closest to you.

James

Farrar
11-17-2011, 05:06 PM
Thanks, James!

DMC5180
11-19-2011, 03:02 PM
Each dealer will have the option of stocking them...whether or not they will is up to them. And whoever they use to paint may need more/less time so you'd be best to coordinate with whomever is closest to you.

James

Basically what your saying is The new fascias will be Made-to-Order. Nothing wrong with that. I may be adding it to my Spring repairs. Windshield,A-pillar replacement@ Dave's shop.

I still think it would be it would not be unreasonable to have a Fiberglass Rear Fascia Option available. You could price it with a premium, for those that want it and and it still be a MTO part. Premium pricing would still keep the NOS stock attractive for those that don't want to spend the extra on it.

DMCMW Dave
11-19-2011, 05:30 PM
You could price it with a premium, for those that want it and and it still be a MTO part. Premium pricing would still keep the NOS stock attractive for those that don't want to spend the extra on it.

The problem is development (tool) costs. Makes the first one VERY expensive if you don't sell any more for a while.

DMC5180
11-19-2011, 07:24 PM
The problem is development (tool) costs. Makes the first one VERY expensive if you don't sell any more for a while.

Agreed.

I'm speaking from a consumer standpoint. Whom would prefer to replace both fascias at once and be done with it. Not having too worry about an NOS urethane part eventually shrinking like the one being replaced. For that I would pay a reasonable premium ($300) for a part that should last the remainder of my ownership (40 years I hope)

I also understand the Business side of selling Inventory sitting on the shelf that is bought and paid for. DMCH makes a much Higher profit on each piece part.

Regardless, Im happy that at least the front is now available.

DMCH James
11-29-2011, 06:44 PM
Received our first painted unit back from the paint shop today. Looks very nice and I'll get some photos of it tomorrow.

James

DMCNY
12-12-2011, 12:55 AM
Received our first painted unit back from the paint shop today. Looks very nice and I'll get some photos of it tomorrow.

James

James, did you get a chance to take a few pictures?

12-22-2011, 10:33 AM
James,

Any additional information or pictures on these or is this project on hold? Did something happen to it that has caused the delay? I've been looking forward to seeing pictures of the painted product.

Please let us know.

Thanks!

DMCH James
12-22-2011, 11:58 AM
Josh, we've had it back from the painter for a couple weeks but with the pre-Christmas rush and covering for staff who have been out of the office, I just hadn't gotten around to it. Here are some quick photos I took this morning.

James

sean
12-22-2011, 12:40 PM
Here are some quick photos I took this morning.
Very, very nice. Looks great.

Farrar
12-22-2011, 12:45 PM
That is the most mouthwaterlingly perfect front fascia I have ever seen. I must have one!

Well done, y'all!

Farrar

Mark D
12-22-2011, 12:54 PM
Great job on the fiberglass fascia... it's beautiful!

Any idea on price yet?

jawn101
12-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Devestatingly beautiful. I've never seen a better looking front fascia. Makes me wish there was something wrong with mine :rant:

First world problems, I know....

DMCH James
12-22-2011, 05:03 PM
Great job on the fiberglass fascia... it's beautiful!

Any idea on price yet?

Rich W
12-23-2011, 03:34 AM
I saw the prototype part at DMCMW today.

Very good quality and very light weight when
compared to a stock front fascia.

I saw the part not installed, so I could not
see the actual fit quality, but the finish of
the part was very high quality. Having the
upper mounting bracket integrated is slick.

I really think the rear fascia should be done
using the same technique "now" rather than
waiting for stock parts supply to run lower.
Having both new parts of the same type and
quality will raise the bar on any restoration.

I would recommend SS studs on the bottom
mounting area of a new repro rear fascia.

Later,
Rich W.

DMCNY
12-23-2011, 09:34 AM
Could someone please ask to see pictures of the finished part mounted on a car?

sean
12-23-2011, 09:35 AM
Could someone please ask to see pictures of the finished part mounted on a car?

I think you just did :tongue:

DMCNY
12-23-2011, 09:38 AM
I think you just did :tongue:

I know, but it never seems to work for me. It's only when someone else asks the question is when it gets answered. :shhh:

DMCH James
12-23-2011, 10:37 AM
Several photos were posted earlier in this thread of the unpainted piece installed. The painted one we have here in the shop has not yet been installed on a car.

James

Pictures look great BTW, James.

DMCNY
12-23-2011, 12:02 PM
James, appologies.

If you get time, would you please take some pictures of the painted bumper mounted on a car? Preferably some low straight on shots.

Do you know what color gelcoat these will be shipped in?

Do you have a ballpark price for shipping in the U.S?

Will all the flash be trimmed from these before shipping along with all holes cut out?

Thanks!

DMCH James
12-23-2011, 01:15 PM
When it gets installed on a car, I'll be happy to do that. Not sure when that will be, probably not until after the 1st.

These will come in white, as shown in the earlier photos. Black ones may be available, but the supplier uses that color for the "flexible" fiberglass and we are cautioned against these for the reason of future repair-ability. In any case, the black should not be used in place of painting the black areas of the fascia.

Flash trimmed,yes. Holes drilled/cut, no.

James

James, appologies.

If you get time, would you please take some pictures of the painted bumper mounted on a car? Preferably some low straight on shots.

Do you know what color gelcoat these will be shipped in?

Do you have a ballpark price for shipping in the U.S?

Will all the flash be trimmed from these before shipping along with all holes cut out?

Thanks!

12-23-2011, 05:49 PM
James,

Thanks for the quick response, sorry that mine has been delayed. Nice job on the fascia! Considering that the one currently on 20098 has an eyebrow and scuff, I may be in the market sooner rather than later.

Now that I've moved to Arizona, full time, as of this week, I am sure that the sun will do wonders on my original part and those eyebrows will soon get worse. Though it will be stored indoors, I now have the ability to drive it year round rather than keeping it off the road for 6 or so months out of the year as I did in Connecticut.

Looking forward to the rear fascia being reproduced as well. I agree that having the rear part done sooner rather than later would be a huge bonus...hopefully it comes to be.

dmcnorway
12-30-2011, 10:09 AM
Hi James, when will the new underbodies be ready for sale?
What will the price be?

dmcpom
05-05-2012, 10:45 AM
very nice :-) are there rear ones to ? and are there nuts glassed in it so we dont have to flex the front to get the studs in the holes ?

DMC5180
05-07-2012, 11:10 AM
very nice :-) are there rear ones to ? and are there nuts glassed in it so we dont have to flex the front to get the studs in the holes ?

If you would have read the whole thread, you would have found your answers. :evilgrin:

The short answers. No & No

The long answers:

No, DMCH will not invest in making Rear fiberglass facsia tooling until the supply of NOS & fix-able takeoffs are near exhausted. 5-7 years according to James. Hopefully the guy that did the tooling on the front facia will be alive or in business when the time comes. And, they (DMCH) Keeps a couple Near perfect examples on hand to use for the Master Plug Tool.

No, The integration of Header and rigidity of the fiberglass eliminates the need for studs or fasteners of any kind (nuts) on the outer ends (fender) all fastening is with thru bolts or studs (spoiler) in the mating parts.

See the photos :http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?2087-New-fiberglass-fascia-bumper-cover&p=35084&viewfull=1#post35084

Chris 16409
05-09-2012, 01:05 AM
I Unfortunatly got in a front end collision and will need one of these fascias. James said on an earlier page that the lead time is one week. I wonder of that's still true.

dvonk
05-09-2012, 01:13 AM
oh no, thats terrible news, are you doing ok? did it just happen today?

what is the extent of the damage? :mecry:

DMCH James
05-09-2012, 09:40 AM
I Unfortunatly got in a front end collision and will need one of these fascias. James said on an earlier page that the lead time is one week. I wonder of that's still true.

Hope you're okay! The supplier now builds one up each time we order, so that they always have at least one on the shelf ready for shipping - we can ship one to you as early as today (or tomorrow if ordered late in the day).

James

r00b
05-09-2012, 06:44 PM

I told you, you follow to close.

Ryan King
05-14-2012, 12:39 AM
I told you, you follow to close.

me too.