PDA

View Full Version : rear quarter glass removal

DeLorean6934
10-27-2011, 11:56 AM
I'm planning on temporary building a time machine. I already did it once before and now thinking on taking it a step forward. Is there a way to remove the back quarter glass and put them back the way it was just for dress up purpose ? Or am I risking damaging the glass?

john 05141
10-28-2011, 03:15 AM
I hope you will do it in such a way the car can be brought back to its original condition afterwards. I think it is sad to see another Delorean getting lost into the BTTF conversion world. :cry:
Do not get me wrong I too think they are nice to look at, but to me a delorean remains the beautiful deLorean the way it was designed, niot with this ... on its back.

I can not help you with the glass tough, but I believe you can remove that.
John

sean
10-28-2011, 09:15 AM
I hope you do what you want with your car, have fun with what you own.

DeLorean6934
10-28-2011, 10:43 AM
I hope you will do it in such a way the car can be brought back to its original condition afterwards. I think it is sad to see another Delorean getting lost into the BTTF conversion world. :cry:
Do not get me wrong I too think they are nice to look at, but to me a delorean remains the beautiful deLorean the way it was designed, niot with this ... on its back.

I can not help you with the glass tough, but I believe you can remove that.
John
Don't worry I sure you that my car will always be original. It's more or less a dress up for the car that isn't permanent .

TTait
11-02-2011, 01:05 AM
I can tell you its easy to remove if the rear quarter is off the car, should be doable when its on too I would think but have not looked or tried.

The glass is held in place with 4 metal tabs, kind of Z shaped in profile, which are riveted into the quarter panel. Depending on if the glass was ever replaced previously there could be some urathane or similar sealant, but you should be able to get the glass out with minimal effort.

Getting it back in may be harder. Not sure about the clearance to get a rivet gun in there - you cold try very short screws like some have done with top of door weatherstripping, but if you screw it up you could damage the quarter.

That however is childs play compared to the tough part - the rubber gasket going around the glass. Some cars don't have it and I'm told that often it is left out when the glass is replaced - because its nearly impossible to get it in the proper position and looking good. Picture climbing out onto the wing of a 747 in flight and trying to string a wet length of spaghetti into a perfect circle on top of the wing, and then keeping it in place while you screwed a round cover over it, keeping the noodle perfectly aligned with the outer perimeter of the cover - if that sounds easy, let me add that maybe you have to do it with one hand, in the dark, while Ron Jeremy is leaning over you whispering pick up lines in your ear...

I'm just saying - I tried and tried and (I know some of you here have a way of doing it that I never figured out) it still looks sub par. DMCCA says they just leave them out.

I'm sure the factory had a special jig, and a platform for goat sacrifices to get it in place - but without those its a lot harder than it really ought to be.