PDA

View Full Version : General V8 Delorean

knightjp
11-05-2011, 11:30 AM
I just finished a BTTF marathon both the movies and the animated series...
Now I want a Delorean of my own. But let's be honest, the Delorean is an excellent looking car and has so much potential, but its engine lets it down and I like the ideas of the turbos, etc... but it just won't cut it with me...
Have a look at this video of a Pontiac Fiero with a LS4 in it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH3MGGQnEqs&feature=related

And now have a look at this video clip from the movie...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLRk4xG-JCI

Sounds the same??? Makes you wonder if the movie guys managed to house a SBC in there. To be honest, a car with all the wiring and stuff that looks like the BTTF car is kinda too weird for my taste, but I would atleast like to have a Delorean that sounds like the car in the movie (without any artificial electronic gadgets)...

Personally I would like to have a 5.7 modern HEMI in it.. Or a 5.0 Mustang V8 or if it comes down to it, a LS4 5.3L V8

Now I need to find a Delorean in need of an engine job and use that as a base... :)

Nicholas R
11-05-2011, 12:28 PM
None of the above.

5.7L LS1

vwdmc16
11-05-2011, 01:10 PM
the car's engine was dubbed over with a Porsche 928 with a 4.7L m28 v8, with holes drilled in the muffler. ive built a few 928 race cars and can confirm the sound is the same

Bitsyncmaster
11-05-2011, 01:49 PM
Are you going to do the engine swap yourself? For a pro to do it would cost about $30,000.

knightjp
11-05-2011, 04:30 PM
I was planning to do it myself with the aid of a couple of friends who are pro mechanics / aircraft engineers.. :)
I noticed one person voted for a 5.0 Ford Mustang Modular engine... Think there is enough space to house one???

DeloreanJoshQ
11-05-2011, 07:00 PM
None of the above.

5.7L LS1

+1

knightjp
11-05-2011, 07:25 PM
The biggest surprise is that the HEMI seems to be leading in the poll..
I guess saying that you have a HEMI in the engine bay does bring a decent amount of respect with any petrolhead / gearhead :thumbup2:

JoeyGowdy
11-05-2011, 07:47 PM
Gen I - 5.7 ... 340 HP @ 5,000 ... 390 TRQ @ 4,000

GenII - 5.7 ... 375 HP @ 5,800 ... 398 TRQ @ 4,800

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/new-mopar-hemi.html

I'm putting the 6.1 in my 69 on an 08 (http://rowdysdodgecharger.com) charger build. :thumbup2:

Dracula
11-05-2011, 08:39 PM
I'd go with a Cadillac 500 Cu. In. or 8.2L motor and trans setup from the '70 Eldorado. 400 HP, 550 Ft Lbs of torque at 3,000 RPM... That's simply beautiful and would be insane in a DeLorean.

Farrar
11-06-2011, 12:08 AM
Wouldn't there be a problem increasing the amount of weight on the rear wheels? It's already 65% back there.

Farrar

sean
11-06-2011, 03:31 AM
Wouldn't there be a problem increasing the amount of weight on the rear wheels? It's already 65% back there.

Farrar

Naw, you can just add a few weight lifting plates to the front to balance things out.

natesky
11-06-2011, 09:17 AM
If I was going to pick a new engine, I'd actually be more drawn to a turbo 4cyl w/220-250hp, I think that would be the ideal configuration for the Delorean (IMHO).

-Nathan

protodelorean
11-06-2011, 11:41 AM

Farrar

Farrar's the only one who seems to have any sense on this one. Sure, cramming a heavy V8 in the rear of a D will give you more speed, but unless you're looking for a straight-line drag car, any spirited driving that involves a turn is going to end up with you taking a backwards ride into a ditch (or worse). Remember, although the Porsche 911 shares the Delorean drivetrain layout (with a better F/R weight distro) it makes it work after decades of race-bred tuning and still is referred to as a car that can easily get less experienced drivers into trouble due to the non-convention driving techniques required to handle it at it's limits.

Everyone's free to do what they want to their own car, but there are plenty of ways to add power without further compromising an already marginal design.

timothymoore
11-06-2011, 12:03 PM
id do the GMC sierra 6.0L 400horse v8

timothymoore
11-06-2011, 12:05 PM
If I was going to pick a new engine, I'd actually be more drawn to a turbo 4cyl w/220-250hp, I think that would be the ideal configuration for the Delorean (IMHO).

-Nathan

how about the turbocharged ECO-tec 2.0 out of the SS cobalt's?? i think that put out about 230 or 240.

knightjp
11-06-2011, 03:41 PM
Yes the V8 is going to present issues, but I looking into getting a light V8. The maximum size if 350ci..

timothymoore
11-06-2011, 04:15 PM
Yes the V8 is going to present issues, but I looking into getting a light V8. The maximum size if 350ci..

then look into an LT1 or a 350 TPI out of a mid to late 80's vette

Dracula
11-06-2011, 07:14 PM
Farrar's the only one who seems to have any sense on this one. Sure, cramming a heavy V8 in the rear of a D will give you more speed, but unless you're looking for a straight-line drag car, any spirited driving that involves a turn is going to end up with you taking a backwards ride into a ditch (or worse). Remember, although the Porsche 911 shares the Delorean drivetrain layout (with a better F/R weight distro) it makes it work after decades of race-bred tuning and still is referred to as a car that can easily get less experienced drivers into trouble due to the non-convention driving techniques required to handle it at it's limits.

Everyone's free to do what they want to their own car, but there are plenty of ways to add power without further compromising an already marginal design.

I realize that there are infinitely better choices, however, the thread has the implied question of what motor we'd each individually choose to put in the DeLorean. Since I know the Cadillac 500 the best, I'd configure the car as a mid-engined vehicle with a loss of the parcel shelf.

This is, of course, assuming I have the limitless budget needed to do such a thing and the time to completely redesign the frame of the car as two separate subframes and changing all of the fake vents to functional parts of the cooling system for that massive, hot-blooded motor.

timothymoore
11-06-2011, 07:22 PM
IMO one of the best if not the best non v8 engine that you could put in the delorean that wouldnt mess with the weight too much would be the 3.8 DOHC twin turbo motor that comes out of the GTR skylines... 500 HP in a lightweight V6. but that goes with the limitless budget.

Nicholas R
11-06-2011, 08:52 PM
As far as weight is concerned, The PRV weighs 335lbs where an LS1 weighs 385lbs. Doesn't seem like it should be that big of a deal.

Whats the weight difference between an auto transmission and a manual?

tyb323
11-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Get the engine out of the new Subie wrx's with the turbo. Plenty of speed, less weight

knightjp
11-07-2011, 03:59 AM
Its interesting that the SBC (Small block Chevy) isn't getting the votes. Usually the standard favorite in any engine swap. I suppose the Delorean community favors progress.. :lol:

john 05141
11-07-2011, 04:04 AM
I have practically no mechanical experience. I also feel the lack of power in the V6. I also do not feel any interest in any the the stage 1-3 programs.

But a nice compact good sounding V8 is what I like a lot, but do not want to go thru the headache by far!!
If DMC would come up with a custom made solution with all the connections in one kit, an engine they select that fits well without to many adaptations, sounding well and performing well....I will be first in line.

John

knightjp
11-07-2011, 04:53 AM
I have practically no mechanical experience. I also feel the lack of power in the V6. I also do not feel any interest in any the the stage 1-3 programs.

But a nice compact good sounding V8 is what I like a lot, but do not want to go thru the headache by far!!
If DMC would come up with a custom made solution with all the connections in one kit, an engine they select that fits well without to many adaptations, sounding well and performing well....I will be first in line.

John

It actually surprises me that they haven't... I mean we know that the PRV V6 isn't the best engine and frankly it probably was only chosen due to the cost factor. With so many better alternatives out there and the rights to the brand on a whole in terms of manufacturing, why doesn't the company actually take the chance to re-invent the engineering behind the car.
I'm all for preserving the classic heritage of the car, but there is such a thing called progress.
We even find people tearing down perfectly good cars to build something awesome in terms of handling, etc... Its been done to Mustangs, Corvettes, etc... non have escaped.
Here we have a car that looks awesome, yet is flawed & weak in the engine compartment.
We have companies bringing out hot versions of Camaros, Civics, BMWs with aftermarket parts... Why not offer a special edition Delorean? Why can't the company offer something better than just a turbo kit; which only makes the performance the way it should have been 30 years ago.

Farrar
11-07-2011, 09:28 AM
It actually surprises me that they haven't...

Have you seen how many unused PRVs they have? Using something else would be shooting themselves in the foot.

Farrar

nofear365
11-07-2011, 10:38 AM
I'd much rather have a smaller, lighter H.O. engine back there rather than a huge displacement cast iron block sitting behind my rear wheels.

Just sayin...

opethmike
11-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Agreed. My dream never going to happen because its so ridiculous engine swap would be the charge-cooled I4 turbo engine out of the later I4 Esprits.

john 05141
11-08-2011, 03:25 AM
My feeling is that the engine in my car is also ... an oldtimer.
I do not think the PRV was a quick solution for a cheap engine. The PRV's are still very good. I remember they had a hard time finding suppliers (risky venture, Northern Ireland situation back then) and also the limits at the US market.

I do not ask an 80 year old man to go start training for running on the fast track. I worry that this 30 year old engine will not cope very well with the stresses of turbo's. I rather crawl a little slower but without engine failures and expensive costs after the engine is competely shot.
I also do not like the sound these new exhausts make.

I was standing next to a Bricklin at a DCS show and I was impressed with its sound. (it was the only thing I was impressed with, with all respect) DMC ist not a non-profit organisation, so I do grant them their income. There are more cars using PRV's, so I am sure enough candidates to buy one of thiose NOS PRV's. And not everyone will switch to a V8. The cost will be considerable, and it is not original as some owners feel this is very important. The fuel supply for a V8 is small with the 50Liters.

Besides; offering a reliable V8 in a DMC supported package will be a good publicity and I am sure more potential owners. I simply do not dare to arrange a custom V8 by myself. It is the most common heard "compaint" sound, performance,... so it would be neat. I doubt it will happen, but maybe some day.
I am sure it will attract a lot of newpotential DeLorean owners.

John

knightjp
11-08-2011, 04:23 AM
@john 05141 - You need not worry about a modded engine as long as its a proper job done. Time taken to prepare the engine for the turbos and other modifications will help to improve the reliability.

Most people who would like a fast Delorean aren't mechanics, myself included. But I have the fortunate advantage of knowing a couple of mechanics who are willing and able to help with the V8 modification.
If the DMC company could get behind the idea of offering a V8 as an option, it wouldn't be a bad idea. It would help to bring more attention to the brand. But I wouldn't want too much attention. We also need exclusivity... ;)
I was reading up on the PRV V6. It was a great engine but not a perfect engine and yes I was wrong; it wasn't a choice for costs sake. Who knows, maybe there is an exhaust mod that makes that PRV V6 sound like a V8... Now that would be a trick worth seeing or hearing... :lol:

john 05141
11-09-2011, 03:21 AM
Hi Knightjp,

I can follow your idea. I am not screeming for more power, but all these Volkswagen Golf with a 2L diesel engine are faster than me, that is.. you know...!

In my street lives an owner of a Mercedes dealership. He drives the Mercedes Gullwing (with temp-plates of course) It sounds greaaaaaat!! It is only a V8?! I tought this was a V12 honestly. He confirmed the sound is half the fun.

But the Deloreans I saw with a special exhaust (I do not know if they were part of a stage package) sounded too loud. Not a nice sound. Not a nice deep sound but more just "to make noise". I respect every body's fun, so I do not mind if they do, but not me.
I'm sure it will enhance performance. I have not driven one like that so I do not know if the difference is big. I also heard remarks from co-drivers that the car is fairly noisy inside too than. I added more insulation and Dynamat to keep the car inside as quiet as possible.
So the deep humming of a V8 and some performance.. MMMMMmmmm.

John

knightjp
11-09-2011, 06:26 AM
I guess it upto individuals to make it work the way they want it. We all have our dream cars, lets see if I can make mine a reality... :P

knightjp
11-10-2011, 08:56 AM
I was out shopping the other day and I heard a vehicle start up... It sounded like a V8 muscle car.. I kept looking out for a Mustang or something. Then I saw it... It was a Nissan Pathfinder. I know that engine was a V6 'cuz a colleague at work has one and most people here aren't into engine transplants as I am... It looked like he had done a performance exhaust mod, so I'm guessing that is what I heard. Oh and it didn't sound noisy or like there was a hole in the muffler. It sounded like a well tuned V8...
If such a thing can be done for the Delorean PRV, that would be awesome. But make no mistake, there is no substitute for a well tuned V8 for sound as well as power.

TheDutchTexan
11-10-2011, 11:27 AM
V6's with the right exhaust and cam(s) can sound very V8 like at idle. It is when they are pushed that the missing 2 cylinders start to get noticed. And I don't like that sound coming from a current mustang / camaro / charger / challenger at all.

Another thing I find funny when talking exhaust tones... A new jetta base with a performance exhaust sounds like a Lamborghini Gallardo (or UPS truck, take your pick). A NSX with performance exhaust sounds like a Ferrari V12. Yet when you put a sports exhaust on a 4 banger it sounds like crap, and nothing like a V8. Boxer engines are exempt from that rule, they have their own unique sound with the right exhaust.

knightjp
11-10-2011, 01:14 PM
What is the lightest V8 around???

TheDutchTexan
11-10-2011, 02:40 PM
I've searched google and it pointed at the 215ci Rover V8.

knightjp
11-10-2011, 03:08 PM
I've searched google and it pointed at the 215ci Rover V8.
Essentially do you know where the Rover V8 came from??? Read this...
Engines That Time Forgot (http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/1101phr_engines_that_time_forgot/viewall.html)
I wonder which of the engines in that article would be ideal of a transplant in a Delorean...

easy now
11-10-2011, 05:30 PM
Here's a shot of mine with a 347ci, 302 based SBF. Motor and trans is mounted, gonna start hanging the ac, alt, and cooling system plumbing. Aluminum heads, bbk intake, 90mm t/b, 42# injectors with a f.a.s.t. efi system. Will make a conservative 450hp to the wheels, based on numerous other motors I've built with with combo.

deloreanz
11-11-2011, 12:15 AM
Here's a shot of mine with a 347ci, 302 based SBF. Motor and trans is mounted, gonna start hanging the ac, alt, and cooling system plumbing. Aluminum heads, bbk intake, 90mm t/b, 42# injectors with a f.a.s.t. efi system. Will make a conservative 450hp to the wheels, based on numerous other motors I've built with with combo.

What sort of tranny are you going with?

knightjp
11-11-2011, 01:36 AM

Sounds awesome. Keep it up. I will be following this build closely... and more so I wanna hear that SBF DMC purr.. :lol:

ramblinmike
11-11-2011, 07:56 AM
Watching here as well! Keep us updated!

easy now
11-11-2011, 09:17 AM
Using the Delorean tranny, made an adapter plate for the trans, and used a mustang bell housing and welded the two together. There's pics of it in the other thread I started. Will be making an input shaft which is the weakest link in these trannies. I want to try to build a set of 180 degree crossover headers, will know once I mount all the accessories first.

Grover
11-11-2011, 01:37 PM
What is the lightest V8 around???

Has got to be my favorite dream engine swap motor..

http://www.h1v8.com/page/page/1562068.htm

400HP @ 10,000 rpm with stock street cams (higher spec. is available)
245 ft-lbs torque @ 7500 rpm
200 lbs engine weight

Kenny_Z
11-11-2011, 02:39 PM
I love the rumble and growl of a v8 as much as the next gearhead but I get that from my Mustang. To me the sound needs to match the car. I want my D to sound like what she is, a high reving sports car. Right now with the stock exhaust she sounds like a Volkswagen and I hate it. Once I get the time I'm going to work on my own exhaust headers.

After fixing the trouble I had with Red I've grown to love that oddball engine. To me it is as unique as the car. I'm going to focus on performance upgrades with the PRV as far as Red goes.

I'm also all for seeing what other people can do and I really look forward to seeing the v8 projects.

congerz83
11-12-2011, 02:01 AM

:cool: Wow! My dream set-up! I've had dreams of this for years... YOU NEED A BUILD THREAD!

P.S. Do you really think the stock D trans is going to take that type of power? I'm guessing no.

knightjp
11-12-2011, 03:14 AM
I'm sure the main importance for the company to hold on to those unused PRV engines is to be able to help those who love their stock or turbocharged Deloreans. But frankly, I can be a 100% sure that there isn't a sportscar fanatic in the world who will look at that engine and say. "YAY.. IT's A PRV!" with real enthusiasm.. Sarcasm.. Yes. :lol:

I bet the smaller the V8, the better. Unless I'm looking at a Rover V8 or a Jag V8, probably the best one to go for would be the Mustang V8... I believe there is a 4.6 V8 which with the right build could produce great power or max a 5.0
It would be nice to house a HEMI in there with MDS, but at the same time, you need to think about all that weight hanging over the rear wheels... And I'm not about to carry weight in the front just to balance the car..

Citizen
11-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Sort of related to this thread (but mods may want to move this to a new thread)....

I have been trying to collect information about DeLorean engine conversions, by VIN. If you have an engine conversion of any kind, would you kindly let me know?

Eagle swap, V8, Turbo PRV, Stage I, II, III, anything goes other than the stock PRV.

Thanks.

Oh, and I also am trying to collect a list of wrecked (or otherwise dead) VINs. Any help is appreciated.

opethmike
11-12-2011, 11:09 AM
If you'd count an EFI conversion, I am running MegaSquirt EFI. VIN01049.

Citizen
11-12-2011, 11:13 AM
If you'd count an EFI conversion, I am running MegaSquirt EFI. VIN01049.

Hadn't thought about collecting fuel injection changes, but already got you as Stage II, is that still correct?

opethmike
11-12-2011, 11:33 AM
No, mine is stock, EFI aside.

Citizen
11-12-2011, 11:58 AM
No, mine is stock, EFI aside.

Change made.

Anyone else?

AdmiralSenn
11-12-2011, 03:10 PM
As far as I know, #3416 is the only odd-fire 3.0L conversion out there. Factory block heavily modified to take later PRV pistons. And EFI as well.

(And I would LOVE to be wrong about this, so if anyone else knows of another car like this please let me know.)

knightjp
11-14-2011, 09:51 AM
I was expecting more votes for the Mustang V8... being a 4.6L - 5.0L it is the smallest of the lot i think.. and it would make more sense to have this on the back of the Delorean

Dracula
11-14-2011, 01:15 PM
Most DeLorean owners are resistant to ANY form of an engine swap; let alone one that requires extensive modification and, if we were to do such a thing, then we'd choose the platform that we're most comfortable with. It's really fairly simple.

knightjp
11-14-2011, 03:46 PM
if we were to do such a thing, then we'd choose the platform that we're most comfortable with. It's really fairly simple.
Which platform are you talking about??
Frankly I wish the Delorean had a better engine... I do. I'm just not only considering a V8. I was also considering porsche engines since they too are RR layout cars..
What other engines would give a beefy noise and power to match plus not require much mods to the chassis at all.. ?? Anyone???

Dracula
11-14-2011, 04:19 PM
Which platform are you talking about??

Platform: Ford, Chevy, Cadillac, etc.

Timebender
11-14-2011, 04:26 PM
I'm sure this has been posted on other threads, but I do dig the sound of this D.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM8E3lKO2gg

congerz83
11-21-2011, 01:24 AM
If you guys want that BTTF sound... www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUcx6cie90w&feature=youtube_gdata_player

That would be too cool but, as with all DMC motor swaps, difficult. The old tried and true 5.0 (302) push-rod engine would be perfect for me. I've had a lot of experience with them. That's why what "easy now" is doing has my full attention. It's something I've fantasized about often.

knightjp
11-21-2011, 09:40 AM
If you guys want that BTTF sound... www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUcx6cie90w&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I wonder if anyone has put a 928 engine in their Deloreans

congerz83
11-21-2011, 05:02 PM
I wonder if anyone has put a 928 engine in their Deloreans

It's a very complicated set-up. Even for a 5.4 t's seems too bulky for a Delorean... Then again someone did jam a 351 Cleveland in a DMC at one point.

knightjp
11-22-2011, 01:11 AM
It's a very complicated set-up. Even for a 5.4 t's seems too bulky for a Delorean... Then again someone did jam a 351 Cleveland in a DMC at one point.
I would like to see pics of that project...

congerz83
11-22-2011, 01:59 AM
I would like to see pics of that project...

http://carsinbarns.com/new103.html

Scroll to the bottom...

knightjp
11-22-2011, 02:32 AM
http://carsinbarns.com/new103.html

Scroll to the bottom...
Look awesome. I wonder if it has been done before.. why aren't V8 conversions popular??

Is a Porsche 928 4.5L engine too complicated to be fitted in???

congerz83
11-22-2011, 04:16 AM
Look awesome. I wonder if it has been done before.. why aren't V8 conversions popular??

Is a Porsche 928 4.5L engine too complicated to be fitted in???

Opinions vary. Some say that a V8 Conversion puts too much stress on the frame and makes an already rear-biased weight ratio worse. Some will say that the transmissions, in stock form, simply cannot handle the power/torque that 8 Cyl produces.

I personally would love to do a V8 swap in my car but it is tremendously costly due to many modifications that would need to be made to the frame, suspension, transmission,. etc... etc.

They've been done though... Again can't wait for more from "easy now".

...and I also met someone (forgive for not remebering your name) from Long Island who was attempting a LS1 swap that I'd love to hear more about.

It can be done, but a alot of the owners prefer to stick with the PRV they have already. There are now more options than ever being sold by reliable vendors that open the doors for more performance. Houston with their Stage I/II and supercharged Stage III. Josh from DPI is constantly refining EFI & Single/Twin Turbo setups with great success. The 3.0 PRV is also a swap option, but compared to the stock 2.8, I would think the power increase would be very modest.

Basically, it's all up to the owners. If cash, down-time, and patience are at a premium, I suppose anything is possible. Hell someone managed to fit a 500ci Cadilliac engine in a Delorean. He also put a Honda 2.0 in the front of the same car, but that's another story.

Interesting swaps that come to mind...

Cadilliac Northstar

Buick Grand National Turbo 3.8 V6 (500+HP) :jawdrop:

Lotus Twin Turbo V8

The Porsche 928 V8 in any size would be interesting for the fact that you couldn't get closer to the BTTF sound than that.

knightjp
11-22-2011, 06:42 AM
Was watching Stacey David's Gearz the other day over the net. He was putting a BOSS 9 into an old 60s Cougar. Mentioned that there are issues when you combine a unique car / engine / transmission. He also said that when doing so, time should be taken to over engineer it to make sure the thing doesn't fall apart... Good advice in my book.

Personally If I could get the BTTF noise and more power out of the PRV, I'd be happy with the stock engine. But that's nowhere near possible unless you use one of those cheap electrical gadgets that make any engine noise you want... Lol.

What if there was small V8 3 - 4 ltrs which was able to fit in the PRVs place without needing much changes to the frame, etc.... Finding such an engine would be a miracle... :P

ramblinmike
11-22-2011, 06:47 AM
Interesting swaps that come to mind...

Lotus Twin Turbo V8

http://www.entermyworld.com/gallery/dmc-lotus-conversion

knightjp
11-22-2011, 07:25 AM
http://www.entermyworld.com/gallery/dmc-lotus-conversion
Thanks for the link. That was amazing... a little confusing to follow at first glance, but amazing.

Oooo.. The Mustang Engine seems to be closing in on the LS4 with just one vote short...
Any votes left to make it an even tie to cross the LS4 mark??? :lol:

Just saw a youtube video with a Toyota 2JZ swap. I'm not a fan of Toyota, but I do admit that their engines are pretty cool. Would've liked to see the a Nissan skyline engine swap too if there was one...

Alright... Forget the V8s..
What other engines would be good engine swaps. We know the Toyota 2JZ was done. I was thinking that since both the Delorean and the Porsche are rear engined cars, I wonder if anyone tried to swap the PRV with a Carrera engine.
I'd be interested in hearing about any engine swaps whatever they might be.

Wow.... The Mustang engine has the most votes. I guess it is the winner in the poll.
With its light weight, small size and advanced engineering, it stands as the best V8 for the car.

knightjp
12-06-2011, 05:23 AM
Just remembered another V8 that maybe the best option for the Delorean.
There was a 2927 cc Ferrari V8 used in a Lancia Thema 8.32. I wonder if anyone here knows that car... Such a small V8 should be a cool replacement for the PRV V6.

I also found this out.... "Earlier Themas were also offered with a 2.8 L PRV V6 engine, developed in cooperation with Peugeot, Renault, and Volvo. This unit was replaced in 1992 with a 3.0 L Alfa Romeo V6 engine" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancia_Thema)

pezzonovante88
12-08-2011, 11:00 PM
I'd like to see a n/a Porsche flat 6 in a D.

knightjp
12-09-2011, 12:32 AM
I'd like to see a n/a Porsche flat 6 in a D.

So would I :headbang:

easy now
02-01-2012, 09:35 AM
just a quick update. Frame and engine bay stripped and refinished. Motor is built and installed hopefully for the last time. Headers are out getting jet coated and trans is out being beefed up. Not going to to lie to anyone, It's a HUGE and costly project, but I am determined to to finish this this year, and planning on enjoying it.

Thx
Lou

knightjp
02-01-2012, 09:49 AM
just a quick update. Frame and engine bay stripped and refinished. Motor is built and installed hopefully for the last time. Headers are out getting jet coated and trans is out being beefed up. Not going to to lie to anyone, It's a HUGE and costly project, but I am determined to to finish this this year, and planning on enjoying it.

Thx
Lou

Nice work Lou... Looks awesome. Can't wait to see the finished product.. Post couple of vids on youtube... :)

sean
02-01-2012, 10:09 AM

OMG it is so beautiful! Great work Lou.

protodelorean
02-01-2012, 10:17 AM

Thx
Lou

NICE! Keep the updates coming!

congerz83
02-01-2012, 01:50 PM

Thx
Lou

Dear God... Videos will be needed on completion. Would you be willing to give us a ballpark figure on total cost?

easy now
02-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Don't have a ballpark figure, had alot of the motor stuff already. Labour is mostly my own time. I couldnt't really put a price together without spending a few hours to figure it out, lol, hours I'd rather spend working on the car.

Thx
Lou

John U
02-01-2012, 06:40 PM
Lou,
where in Ontario are you?

John

easy now
02-01-2012, 07:14 PM
Mississauga

John U
02-01-2012, 07:20 PM
I would love to see the car in person when it's done!!!

knightjp
02-01-2012, 07:55 PM
As the poll suggests, I guess Ford's modular 5.0L V8 is probably the best engine for the Delorean. Its modern, light weight and does pack a mean punch...

congerz83
02-02-2012, 07:00 AM
Don't have a ballpark figure, had alot of the motor stuff already. Labour is mostly my own time. I couldnt't really put a price together without spending a few hours to figure it out, lol, hours I'd rather spend working on the car.

Thx
Lou

How do you plan on beefing-up the stock transmission?

Again, I can't wat to see this finished. It's the perfect combo for me. I've owned a bunch of 5.0s in my time and the concept makes me light-headed.

Keep up the bad-ass work!

easy now
02-02-2012, 09:46 AM
new one piece input shaft will be made. going to have the gears cyrogenically treated and rem finished, and hopefully find a posi unit at areasonable price.

Farrar
02-02-2012, 09:59 AM
Mississauga

Off topic: Isn't that where they have a street named after Oscar Peterson? :D

Back on topic: I will be very sad that I do not get to see this car in person. :(

Great work, sir!

easy now
02-02-2012, 10:12 AM
thanks for all the compliments guys. Mississauga is just outside of Toronto

knightjp
02-02-2012, 10:24 AM
thanks for all the compliments guys. Mississauga is just outside of Toronto
You've probably mentioned it before, but could you give us a run-down of the engine's details? Like cubic inch or Litre, BHP & Torque, etc..

Ron
02-02-2012, 10:26 AM
SweeeT!

EZ, did you choose this over the modular solely because of your luck/familiarity with this setup.
Just curious!

Nicholas R
02-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Just an FYI the GT40 guys have already made lots of parts for the transmission if you're interested.

This for example is an input shaft that mates to a 302:
http://www.gtoracing.co.uk/images/parts/Long%20Ford%20Input%20Shaft.JPG

This is a single piece input shaft with increased 5th gear strength rated for 500-600hp
http://www.gtoracing.co.uk/images/parts/5SpeedGearkit.pdf

This is a straight cut 6 speed input and output shaft for the Renault UN1 that if purchased, they will customize the end of the shaft so it will mate to anything:
http://www.gtoracing.co.uk/images/parts/6SpeedGearkit.pdf
http://freudhoefer.de/lotus/esprit/products/gearbox/6_speed_2.jpg
(Though those straight cut gears would be LOUD!)

Dont forget the ever popular Quaife differential.

easy now
02-02-2012, 09:53 PM
Yes, I chose this engine because I have been building them for over 20 years from stock to all out race pieces.They are small, light, and very easy to make 400-500 reliable hp. And I had most of the stuff in my shop.

I am aware of the parts GTO racing in England offers, I am making my own shaft because I am using a different spline, again, because of what I have in stock.
Also, by the price in pounds with freight will cost way more than I can have it done here.

DeloCamaro64
02-04-2012, 01:07 PM
Im not sure how big a space there is in the engine compartment, but i know its not much. A great engine would be anything from the 6.2l LS3, 5.7l LS1, or maybe the chevy 5.0 (305). I agree though, it would be awesome to have a v8 in a delorean!

knightjp
02-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Im not sure how big a space there is in the engine compartment, but i know its not much. A great engine would be anything from the 6.2l LS3, 5.7l LS1, or maybe the chevy 5.0 (305). I agree though, it would be awesome to have a v8 in a delorean!
I used to watch an animated series when I was a kid. I had a red Camaro like yours with gullwing doors that flew... Know what I'm talking about?? ;)

Yes... a V8 in a Delorean sounds awesome and it is... Can't wait to see the Lou's Delorean after its done.

Lou - Is it a modular V8???

Cory W
02-04-2012, 01:18 PM
I used to watch an animated series when I was a kid. I had a red Camaro like yours with gullwing doors that flew... Know what I'm talking about?? ;)

M.A.S.K. Fun cartoon.

knightjp
02-04-2012, 01:19 PM
Yes, I chose this engine because I have been building them for over 20 years from stock to all out race pieces.They are small, light, and very easy to make 400-500 reliable hp. And I had most of the stuff in my shop.

Is it a modular V8 engine???

Ron
02-04-2012, 05:08 PM
Good pics (http://www.motorator.com/blog/ford/saleen-crate-engine) of a modular 302..note the timing cover difference (overhead cams).

700 HP 4.6 (http://fordpowershop.com/modular-ford-M-6007-A46SC.php)...crate engine!

easy now
02-06-2012, 09:22 AM
It is a conventional push-rod 302 engine. Modular engines are a lot wider. I would not have had the room to build the 180 degree cross over headers.

easy now
02-06-2012, 04:06 PM
pg 4

02-06-2012, 04:29 PM
All of us in ODOC can't wait to see.. and HEAR this car!
:thumbup:

Farrar
02-06-2012, 07:34 PM
How much torque do you expect to have?

knightjp
02-07-2012, 12:08 AM
It is a conventional push-rod 302 engine. Modular engines are a lot wider. I would not have had the room to build the 180 degree cross over headers.Haha... So I guess the poll is wrong. The 5.0L Modular from the Mustang isn't the best V8 for the Delorean 'cuz it simply won't fit....

DMC5180
02-07-2012, 01:20 AM
Better plan on beefing up the Transmission mount brackets. They are already prone to breaking with less than half that HP.

Farrar
02-07-2012, 09:24 AM
Better plan on beefing up the Transmission mount brackets. They are already prone to breaking with less than half that HP.

Really? This is the first I've heard of them being that fragile.

easy now
02-07-2012, 10:11 AM
Haha... So I guess the poll is wrong. The 5.0L Modular from the Mustang isn't the best V8 for the Delorean 'cuz it simply won't fit....

The mod motor will fit,,,,, I stated that I wanted to build a cross over exhaust system.
The wedge style heads on the 302 gave me a ton of room to build the outer pipes equal length to the center ones which go the the other side. Basically, the two outer cylinders on the drivers side and the two inner cylinders from the passenger side go into one collector and vice versa. Typically called " a bundle of snakes" from the old gt40 era.
Exhaust note will be a higher, more exotic pitch while producing more torque through the mid-range

Farrar
02-07-2012, 10:14 AM
Exhaust note will be a higher, more exotic pitch

So a car which looks like an Italian sportscar will actually sound like an Italian sportscar?

A million pats on the back for you! :)

knightjp
02-07-2012, 11:16 AM
The mod motor will fit,,,,, I stated that I wanted to build a cross over exhaust system.
The wedge style heads on the 302 gave me a ton of room to build the outer pipes equal length to the center ones which go the the other side. Basically, the two outer cylinders on the drivers side and the two inner cylinders from the passenger side go into one collector and vice versa. Typically called " a bundle of snakes" from the old gt40 era.
Exhaust note will be a higher, more exotic pitch while producing more torque through the mid-range
Awesome... can't wait to hear that engine turn over...
:)

knightjp
02-20-2012, 07:30 AM
I like the poll results... For once the SBC isn't ranked high up as it usually is. Yes it is a great V8 engine and has found a home in many a project vehicle, but its nice to see the underdog up for a change.

Hey Easy Now,
What's the latest update with the project?

easy now
02-21-2012, 05:42 PM
not much to report. Motor is in. Waiting for the trans to be rebuilt and come back to me. Then I will get back on it.

SIMid
02-21-2012, 08:25 PM
Wow! This D is going to be a Beast when finished!! :evilgrin:

Well done! Watching this thread with eagle eyes! :)

knightjp
04-02-2012, 05:09 AM
Hey Easy Now,

Hows the project going?? Can't wait to hear the engine... :)

easy now
04-08-2012, 07:09 PM
Hey Easy Now,

Hows the project going?? Can't wait to hear the engine... :)

still waiting for trans ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

knightjp
04-09-2012, 02:09 AM
still waiting for trans ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Well for what's it worth, it should sound awesome and have an exciting ride with that V8 behind the rear wheels.

easy now
04-09-2012, 02:17 PM
Well for what's it worth, it should sound awesome and have an exciting ride with that V8 behind the rear wheels.

Thanks for the kind words

knightjp
04-25-2012, 01:18 PM
Have a look at these vids...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBF5HcXsiI4&feature=share

knightjp
04-25-2012, 01:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF0D7JYB-ow&feature=share

knightjp
04-25-2012, 01:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3GXpKRTCIw&feature=share

This video makes you think...

knightjp
05-08-2012, 08:03 AM
I'm wondering why in the poll, hardly anyone voted for the 5.7 Hemi V8 with the MDS.
Is it because its a more complicated engine or its weight???
I found out that in the Porsche V8 videos I posted earlier, the LS engines weigh no more than the Flat 6 engines, so the car is still quite balanced.
I wonder if the same is true for the HEMI.

h22wut
06-25-2012, 01:50 PM
im still looking at an ls1 in the near future, but i have to say that the 302 you've got in there looks phenomenal. I'll probably be bugging you in the near future about how you did it :)

Grover
06-28-2012, 04:45 PM
As I have always voted for, V8 Hayabusa motor that fits in a 4 cylinder engine compartment :hihi2:

SPECIFICATIONS H1V8:

75° odd fire V8
2.8 LITER, 170 cu. in. displacement (3.0 liter optional)
84mm Bore X 63mm Stroke (67 stroke optional)
4 cams, 32 valves via internal silent chain
530mm wide x 485mm long x 530mm high
200 lbs engine weight
Billet nitrided steel 180° crank
4340 H-beam con-rods with ARP bolts
Billet 6061-T6 aluminum crankcase
Dry sump 0il system with 4 stage pump
7.25" or 5.5" Twin disc clutch
DTA S80 full sequential ECU
Unique cylinder offset and cam drive arrangement yields a compact design- Patent No. 7,168,405

WAY TOO MUCH MONEY THOUGH, but it is a V8, that fits in a 4 cylinder engine compartment, that weighs less than the stock V6 motor 8)

Squall67584
06-28-2012, 05:20 PM
As I have always voted for, V8 Hayabusa motor that fits in a 4 cylinder engine compartment :hihi2:

SPECIFICATIONS H1V8:

75° odd fire V8
2.8 LITER, 170 cu. in. displacement (3.0 liter optional)
84mm Bore X 63mm Stroke (67 stroke optional)
4 cams, 32 valves via internal silent chain
530mm wide x 485mm long x 530mm high
200 lbs engine weight
Billet nitrided steel 180° crank
4340 H-beam con-rods with ARP bolts
Billet 6061-T6 aluminum crankcase
Dry sump 0il system with 4 stage pump
7.25" or 5.5" Twin disc clutch
DTA S80 full sequential ECU
Unique cylinder offset and cam drive arrangement yields a compact design- Patent No. 7,168,405

WAY TOO MUCH MONEY THOUGH, but it is a V8, that fits in a 4 cylinder engine compartment, that weighs less than the stock V6 motor 8)

With peak torque at 7500 rpm, I would think it would be rather unimpressive in the normal rpm range (meaning 1000-4000) unless you wind it up and keep it there. In a bike, that's no problem, but in a 2700lbs car, those upper rpm's are going to pretty useless, especially taking off from a stop. Perfect example is the Honda S2000. No torque down low means you have to keep it wound up to make power, which gets pretty annoying to do. What puts you back in the seat when you gun it is torque, horsepower is what pulls in the upper gears.

Grover
06-29-2012, 09:58 AM
With peak torque at 7500 rpm, I would think it would be rather unimpressive in the normal rpm range (meaning 1000-4000) unless you wind it up and keep it there. In a bike, that's no problem, but in a 2700lbs car, those upper rpm's are going to pretty useless, especially taking off from a stop. Perfect example is the Honda S2000. No torque down low means you have to keep it wound up to make power, which gets pretty annoying to do. What puts you back in the seat when you gun it is torque, horsepower is what pulls in the upper gears.

The two motorcycle motors are mated to a custom made block. The H2 and H1 (V8) are actually built for automotive applications (not bikes anymore). The H1 V8 is what powers the new Ariel Atom : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIiWhWpzFQQ

People also are putting them into Caterham Super 7's. I know both of those cars are much lighter than the DeLorean, but the engine fully dressed it about 100lbs lighter than the PRV. Also, with the mods they offer, it is possible to get it to 500HP N/A. To me, it great because normal RPM's would be for normal every day driving, and then redline's to 11,000RPM when you want to push it. The Atom V8 does 0-60 in 2.5 seconds with the motor, and weights 1,213lb. Even if you were to add double the weight (or about 1,500 lbs) to the DeLorean weight, it would still be a pretty darn quick car.

Some people like torque, some people like HP. But either way, I think it would be cool to see what it could do, especially while reducing weight. But I am no where near the position of wanting to shell out $30,000 for a motor.

knightjp
07-27-2012, 05:25 PM
That Atom engine sounds like a real cracker and should be awesome in the Delorean.

knightjp
07-27-2012, 07:40 PM
I just realized that there is one V8 that is dear to me and yet I haven't mentioned it at all in this thread... The AJ-V8 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_AJ-V8_engine) from Jaguar. This is one classy motor that has won awards, been in some of the most desirable and classiest cars ever. From brilliant Fords to Aston Martins to even rough rugged capable as well as luxurious off-roaders like the Range Rover, in both supercharged and naturally aspirated form, this engine is not only a testament to Jaguar's engineering, but has won the hearts of many a critic.

knightjp
07-31-2012, 06:28 AM
Hey Easy,
How is the project going??

Sent using Tapatalk for iPhone.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

knightjp
08-08-2012, 06:00 AM
Hmm... Why not give the Delorean a AJ-V8 with a Weiand Blower?

dmc6960
08-08-2012, 01:46 PM
Hmm... Why not give the Delorean a AJ-V8 with a Weiand Blower?

Even better question!

Why give the DeLorean a AJ-V8 with a Weiand Blower?

knightjp
08-09-2012, 03:25 AM
Even better question!

Why give the DeLorean a AJ-V8 with a Weiand Blower?

LOL.. It was just a joke... :paranoid::evilgrin:

However I do have quite a bit of respect for the AJ-V8... That Jag engine is quite good.

I was just watching Mad Max and thought what if... LOL.

knightjp
08-09-2012, 07:36 AM
I see the mustang engine has lost the lead on the poll. I'm guessing its due to the number of aftermarket parts, etc.. for the LS engines.

easy now
01-26-2014, 06:17 PM
Hey guys,

I know it's been a long time since I have posted, truth is, I finally just got the trans back. Hopefully there is still some interest on here still. I need all the ambition I can muster up. In my buddy's defense, He did a beautiful job on the tranny, and it was more of a favor to me so I had to be patient with him. I will post some pics tmw

Thx

easy now
01-27-2014, 09:19 AM

congerz83
01-27-2014, 11:33 AM
I know one guy who's damn well still interested. Lol. It's the stock trans with the new input shaft you spoke of, right?

easy now
01-27-2014, 11:58 AM
Yes, lol,

New input shaft was made out of 300M material . Spline is the bigger 1 1/6" x 10 coarse spline. Gears were shot peened, cryogenically treated and rem finished. He also made new carbon syncros and block rings. The reason for using a ford bell and not an adapter plate was so I could utilize the larger ford 11" clutch. I noticed an LS1 and VR 6 swap happening as well,,,,,,,,, My hat's off to those guys for doing nice work and relatively quick!! (compared to me,lol)

Nicholas R
01-27-2014, 12:55 PM
In your defense, I was working on the LS1 when you were active before, I just wasn't telling anyone, lol. Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

easy now
01-28-2014, 09:35 AM
lol, thanks.

I got the trans in yesterday. I was also working o2487724878n putting Wilwood brakes on the front while I was waiting for the tranny, I will post some pics later on

easy now
01-28-2014, 09:37 AM
oops!

Not sure why the pics came out like that? Obviously I know cars better than computers.

easy now
01-30-2014, 10:08 AM

easy now
01-30-2014, 10:12 AM
A couple shots of the brakes I am working on as well, Wilwood 10.75" vented rotors with an aluminum hat, using a 4 piston caliper. I have made proto type brackets in two pieces and are out at the machine to make them in one piece. They will clear the stock 14" wheel, just barely!

SEO Motorsports
01-30-2014, 10:21 AM
Similar to the ones I did on my car.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e239/crazyedfsu/rotors001.jpg (http://s40.photobucket.com/user/crazyedfsu/media/rotors001.jpg.html)

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e239/crazyedfsu/rotors003.jpg (http://s40.photobucket.com/user/crazyedfsu/media/rotors003.jpg.html)

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e239/crazyedfsu/rotors002.jpg (http://s40.photobucket.com/user/crazyedfsu/media/rotors002.jpg.html)

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e239/crazyedfsu/brakes001.jpg (http://s40.photobucket.com/user/crazyedfsu/media/brakes001.jpg.html)

easy now
01-30-2014, 11:36 AM
Very nice!

easy now
01-30-2014, 06:42 PM
Im not sure if 82dmc-12 has offered to sell a front brake kit,, if so,,, I do not want to step on any toes,,,,,,,,,,,,,
But,,,,,,, if anyone is interested, I can put a package price together, if there is any interest

easy now
01-30-2014, 06:44 PM
I can price it complete,,,,,, with everything, or I can give part #'s on pieces that dont need anys mods, just price the modded parts,,,,,, lmk

SEO Motorsports
01-30-2014, 09:41 PM
No worry, because of liability reasons I won't offer a brake kit. I suggest you offer it for off road or experimental use only!

Nicholas R
02-01-2014, 07:25 AM
Ed, I believe yours were 11".

SEO Motorsports
02-01-2014, 08:14 PM
Yes.

congerz83
01-03-2016, 11:15 AM
Any update on the build?

Nicholas R
01-03-2016, 02:14 PM
Any update on the build?

Which one? There were a couple discussed in this thread.

Josh
01-03-2016, 03:43 PM
haha, i never realized someone else considered the LS4.

congerz83
01-04-2016, 08:22 AM
The one belonging to "easy now"... His 347 Ford.

congerz83
01-04-2016, 09:33 AM
UGH! It appears his last post was in march... He offered his car for sale to another member... I wish I'd have know. Would've loved a chance at it. The LS conversions are beautiful, but I'm better schooled in 5.0 Fords.

Josh
01-04-2016, 10:14 AM
UGH! It appears his last post was in march... He offered his car for sale to another member... I wish I'd have know. Would've loved a chance at it. The LS conversions are beautiful, but I'm better schooled in 5.0 Fords.

Lighter, easier to make power, and more modern as well :)

congerz83
01-05-2016, 04:28 PM
Lighter, easier to make power, and more modern as well :)

Fair enough, but I'd have to go with what I know...

Hmmm... I do have an extra 5.0 laying around...

Rich W
01-05-2016, 04:50 PM
Fair enough, but I'd have to go with what I know...

Hmmm... I do have an extra 5.0 laying around...

Forum Member DeCobra had a nice Blue Oval project in progress a few years ago,
however, it appears he has not posted anything new here in almost 3 years.

IIRC, the project started with a Custom version of the PDC Stainless Steel frame,
so there would not be any engine cradle modifications required at a later time.

He may or may not have acquired a special bell-housing or adapter plate that was
being offered (in a kit) by Don Steger at DMC-CA quite a few years ago.

I will see if I still have an active email address for DeCobra in my email archive.

mr_maxime
01-07-2016, 09:18 PM
Still a long ways away, but I've been thinking of cast iron block truck V8s and possibly putting twin turbo on it. I know there is a small weight increase going with the LS1, so would the cast iron block make a considerable difference? Quick google search shows that this should be around 140lbs heavier than the PRV.

On a side note, what about transmission swaps? Will 6 speed transmissions fit in it?

Nicholas R
01-07-2016, 09:59 PM
Still a long ways away, but I've been thinking of cast iron block truck V8s and possibly putting twin turbo on it. I know there is a small weight increase going with the LS1, so would the cast iron block make a considerable difference? Quick google search shows that this should be around 140lbs heavier than the PRV.

On a side note, what about transmission swaps? Will 6 speed transmissions fit in it?

For me, the LS1 increased my total vehicle weight almost exactly 100lbs. An iron LQ4 engine will likely give you an additional 100lbs, as it's about 100-120lbs heavier than the LS1, depending on your engine setup.

Do you have a transmission in mind? Remember, this is a rear engine mounted transaxle setup; there are not a lot of options. Its not like a muscle car where you can drop in a Tremec T56. The only 6 speed, rear engine transaxle that I'm aware of is the Porsche G50, but given its additional size, combined with the additional size of a V8, I do not believe you could use both without adding about 6 inches to the length of the car. The only other option I can think of is a modified Subaru AWD transaxle modified for rear wheel drive only. A co-worker of mine is building a track car based around this drivetrain, but I don't know the specifics.

mr_maxime
01-07-2016, 11:59 PM
Not knowing much about cars I didnt know that it had to be a rear engine transaxle to work. Havent put too much thought into so far. i just know that the stock transmission most likely would not handle a twin turboed lq4. I saw you posted links to a website about upgrading the stock transmission but they are no longer working.

Josh
01-08-2016, 01:16 AM
Not knowing much about cars I didnt know that it had to be a rear engine transaxle to work. Havent put too much thought into so far. i just know that the stock transmission most likely would not handle a twin turboed lq4. I saw you posted links to a website about upgrading the stock transmission but they are no longer working.

A force fed LQ4 would make mincemeat out of the Renault transaxle. As nick mentioned, the G50 would be the route to go. But that brings on another whole set of problems. It is a big transaxle.

Not to mention putting 600-700whp down would require extensive chassis and suspension modifications. Sure, you can put on larger brakes, but the suspension setup just cant handle that kind of power.
If I were to make a big power delorean I would lift the body off the chassis and start over. Full tube chassis, and suspension retrofitted from another car. I'm thinking c5 or c6 corvette components. HUGE project.

Nicholas R
01-08-2016, 04:14 AM
I agree, I mean jumping straight to a twin turbocharged LQ4 is like, drag car territory. Is that your goal?

Even most of the Porsche guys dont recommend going past 550hp-600hp without making some big upgrades to the G50. At that point you should consider a Hewland (http://www.hewland.com/svga/range%20overview.html)or a Mendeola (http://www.mendeolapowertrain.com/transaxles.html)transaxle. Usually I wouldn't bring those up since they're typically about $10k-$15k gearboxes but at the power you're talking, you wont have much choice. Though you'll probably have to completely redesign the rear half of the frame because packaging one of the large transaxles, plus the iron V8, plus 2 turbochargers is likely almost impossible with the current setup :wink:.

How serious are you about this? Are you just spit-balling or are you really considering an engine swap?

Josh
01-08-2016, 10:13 AM
I agree, I mean jumping straight to a twin turbocharged LQ4 is like, drag car territory. Is that your goal?

Even most of the Porsche guys dont recommend going past 550hp-600hp without making some big upgrades to the G50. At that point you should consider a Hewland (http://www.hewland.com/svga/range%20overview.html)or a Mendeola (http://www.mendeolapowertrain.com/transaxles.html)transaxle. Usually I wouldn't bring those up since they're typically about $10k-$15k gearboxes but at the power you're talking, you wont have much choice. Though you'll probably have to completely redesign the rear half of the frame because packaging one of the large transaxles, plus the iron V8, plus 2 turbochargers is likely almost impossible with the current setup :wink:.

How serious are you about this? Are you just spit-balling or are you really considering an engine swap?

Haha just spit balling. If I had unlimited time and money I would make it happen! I would start with a new car, im in too deep with 11408 to start all over again.

Something else to consider is punching out the tub in the front and going FR. Height of the engine compartment would be a big issue though. You could run the vette rear mount t56. But at that point its just a vette that looks like a delorean. haha.

DMC5180
01-08-2016, 12:35 PM
Not knowing much about cars I didnt know that it had to be a rear engine transaxle to work. Havent put too much thought into so far.

No offense, But a project like what your talking about would better be done who does. It's always fun to dream and it doesn't cost a dime.

Dennis

Nicholas R
01-08-2016, 12:42 PM
Haha just spit balling. If I had unlimited time and money I would make it happen! I would start with a new car, im in too deep with 11408 to start all over again.

Something else to consider is punching out the tub in the front and going FR. Height of the engine compartment would be a big issue though. You could run the vette rear mount t56. But at that point its just a vette that looks like a delorean. haha.

Actually I was asking mr_maxime if he was serious about an engine swap, haha.

I already know what you're capable of and a project like this wouldn't be surprising. Besides, based on your track record of ownership, aren't you tired of the LS by now? Isn't it about time for you to yank it out and drop in a Chevy 572 or something? haha! :wrenchin:

When I was in grad school, another engineering student modeled his senior design project around mine from the previous year, but he took it way further power wise. He put twin turbocharged 572 in his '70 Chevelle. Granted, his swap fit better as the car was made for a much larger engine, but his output was ~1400whp. Think we could make something like this work? :biggrin:

mr_maxime
01-08-2016, 01:18 PM
I'm mostly spitballing to try to get a scope of it. This project is still ways away so I plan on spending time learning more hence the spitballing. I'm also an engineer in the automotive industry and have access to lots of tools and knowledgeable people. I am seriously considering an engine swap in the long term, but shorter term is new performance suspension.