PDA

View Full Version : DCS 2012 - Other things/sites to see in Florida before or after

StainlessSteelDream
11-16-2011, 05:18 PM
Hey All,

Any locals, or touristy types, have any suggestions about other things to see or do in or around the Orlando area.

It's a long haul (even by plane) to get there.. so figured might as well do some other vacationing either before or after DCS.

Besides Disney (as we don't have kids) anything recommended?

Thanks

M

Ozzie
11-16-2011, 05:31 PM
Tons of things to do.
...but you should tell us what interests you, to better offer recommendations.

For example, being a aerospace/airplane fan, one of my favorites is the Warbirds Adventure (http://www.warbirdadventures.com/), no fake ride here, once airborne, you will be given the controls to fly a T-6 Texan over Central Florida. You can then buy in-plane pics and/or video of your flight.

Rich W
11-16-2011, 06:26 PM
You cannot get much more touristy in FL than taking a trip to Gatorland.

http://www.gatorland.com/

Watching gators "jump up" and grab raw chicken parts off a clothes-line.

Now that's entertainment. (LOL)

I hear they now have a zip-line ride over a few of the gator pools.

Make sure to make a stop at the Gator Cafe to sample gator meat.

Later,
Rich W.

Bitsyncmaster
11-16-2011, 07:56 PM
I hear they now have a zip-line ride over a few of the gator pools.
Rich W.

Now that's somthing everyone should do. :tongue:

StainlessSteelDream
11-16-2011, 08:08 PM
Tons of things to do.
...but you should tell us what interests you, to better offer recommendations.

For example, being a aerospace/airplane fan, one of my favorites is the Warbirds Adventure (http://www.warbirdadventures.com/), no fake ride here, once airborne, you will be given the controls to fly a T-6 Texan over Central Florida. You can then buy in-plane pics and/or video of your flight.

Thanks Ozzie .. the Warbirds things looks awesome ... and an argument against saying my interests.. I would have never said anything about aircraft ... but seeing that pique's my interest for sure.

DMCBRANDON5873
11-16-2011, 08:21 PM
If you never been to universal studios I would definitely make a stop over there

Lenny
11-16-2011, 11:35 PM
We have some excellent state parks. I'd like to suggest:

Ichenetukney River. it is a crystal clear river for tubing, snorkeling http://www.floridastateparks.org/ichetuckneesprings/

Blue Spring State Park
http://floridastateparks.org/bluespring/default.cfm

It's another 8 hour drive south but I love the keys.

1.5 hours NE Daytona Beach. You can drive on the beach park your car. Hey their stainless steel why not?

1.5 ESE Cocoa beach Ron Jons surf shop. and you can even get surfing lessons.

Remember Summer is HOT 90-100 with 80-100% humidity. Starting in June the night time low is lucky to get below 80. Lastly the state bird is the mosquito.

dvonk
11-17-2011, 12:22 AM
...one of my favorites is the Warbirds Adventure (http://www.warbirdadventures.com/), no fake ride here, once airborne, you will be given the controls to fly a T-6 Texan over Central Florida. You can then buy in-plane pics and/or video of your flight.

this looks incredible! ive always wanted to fly a WWII era airplane! their prices actually seem quite reasonable, for all that you get to do... unfortunately that will have to be put on my "bucket list" for later, since im already crossing one off the list by going to DCS!

someday... :biggrin:

john 05141
11-17-2011, 04:56 AM
almost 20 hours to fly up-and-down. No extra flying for me. and I do not like to fly either.

Great thread!! I was also looking to add some extra as I will be there for a whole week.
Kennedy space centre will certainly be on the programme. the keys are a bit too far for me, and I've seen it. There is a town where 'the truman show" was filmed. I wanted to go see that, but is is way in the north of Florida, so also too far. I do not want to spend too much driving (a rental car) I want to stay within a 2 to max 3 hours of driving each direction.
DMC-Florida crossed my mind...

For the parks,
Epcot for sure, We have the magic kingdom in Paris already, MGM, maybe and an afternoon of Typhoon lagoon (waterpark) probably.

Any intereting aviation museum?
John

stevedmc
11-18-2011, 12:59 PM
Kennedy Space center sounds like a good idea. I'm wondering what I am going to do in Orlando since I have ZERO interest in Disney World.

dmc6960
11-18-2011, 01:52 PM
I've been to Kennedy Space Center twice. First time was seeing STS-120 launch as I somehow actually managed to time my wedding around having the honeymoon during a shuttle launch. They have a standard bus tour, but also two extra paid tours, KSC Up-Close, and Cape Canaveral Then&Now. For a limited time the Up-Close tour is going inside the Vehicle Assembly Building (not open to public since 1978), and if that is still offered next June I'll be there for sure.

DeloreanJoshQ
11-20-2011, 05:40 PM
Anyone interested in the Richard Petty Driving Experience in Orlando?

http://www.drivepetty.com/race-tracks/orlando-walt-disney-world-speedway

I've never done this before, but, along with the warbirds adventure, I think this would be a cool thing to check off the list.

-Josh Q

Lenny
11-20-2011, 07:11 PM
I'd love to drive my Delorean around the track?

is that an option?

Anyone interested in the Richard Petty Driving Experience in Orlando?

http://www.drivepetty.com/race-tracks/orlando-walt-disney-world-speedway

I've never done this before, but, along with the warbirds adventure, I think this would be a cool thing to check off the list.

-Josh Q

DeloreanJoshQ
11-20-2011, 07:13 PM
I'd love to drive my Delorean around the track?

is that an option?

Call and ask...You'll be a hero if you succeed and they will let a bunch of Deloreans on the track!

john 05141
11-21-2011, 03:31 AM
Kennedy Space center sounds like a good idea. I'm wondering what I am going to do in Orlando since I have ZERO interest in Disney World.

As a Belgian I have been to Kennedy Space center 3 times. It is very impressive, a must see. Following the bee-line it is only an hour drive from Orando. There are 2 bus tours, a history type tour (they will show you the origininal controll rooms, Mercury-7 launch pads, and they pass the bunker with the remains of the Challenger. No peeking inside, but impressive.) The general tour goes via the launch pad, and passes the assy. building. I like the historical tour the most, but that is a personal opinion, and oh yes, it has been 15 years, things might have changed. There is a very nice museum too.The last time I was there, my wife took a book with her, to read in the cafeteria, but it was all so impressive, she joined both tours instead, and enjoyed it. So do not let your wife turn this down, she'll love it. (I take no responsabilities for angry wifes after....:devil:)

For those with a lot of interest in the space programme, there is also "space kamp" I ignored it before becasue it is for childres or so I tought, but then I heared there (was?) an interesting museum there too. It then closed very early (18Hrs) so I missed it the last time. Check the internet if you like to see that too. The whole NASA thing will keep you occupied the whole day.

John

stevedmc
11-21-2011, 10:35 AM
I've been to the space center once as a small child but I don't remember. I'd love to go on both tours and make a day out of it. Perhaps we could organize a small group of Delorean nerds and all go together.

chef4u
11-22-2011, 03:18 AM
There's Siesta Keys Beach, about 2 hours away. We love going there because of the "flour-like" sand. Wekiva State Park is also a must. You can canoe for 14 miles, and the water is clear to the bottom.
Clarito

T_Stanley
12-01-2011, 03:23 PM
If anyone has an interest in avation, there is an attraction in Plant City called Fantasy of Flight. Its the largest collection of privately owned aircraft in the world. Each day (weather permitting) the staff selects one of the planes and fly's it for an arial demonstration. Parking is free and admission is cheap ($35 I believe)

john 05141
12-02-2011, 03:17 AM
I have to see that website, sounds intersting.

I liked the idea to travel together to Kenney SC. I'd rather drive behind a Delorean.

The canoo also sounds nice, but 2 things I worry about... these little critters with very sharp teeth... I think they're called aligators or so... and a tremendous heat.

John

Mike C.
12-02-2011, 08:47 AM
If anyone has an interest in avation, there is an attraction in Plant City called Fantasy of Flight. Its the largest collection of privately owned aircraft in the world. Each day (weather permitting) the staff selects one of the planes and fly's it for an arial demonstration. Parking is free and admission is cheap ($35 I believe)

http://fantasyofflight.com/

Great place to spend an afternoon. The owner, Kermit is super friendly. He let me walk onto the Constellation he had parked out on the tarmac about 10 years ago because I talked to him for so long about it.

I liked the place so much I bought a pass.

Depending on how far everyone wants to travel, you have the keys (about a 4-6 hour drive depending on how long you feel like driving, and what key you stop on)

Tons of Everglades tours in South Florida. But most of you will probably want to stay in the Central FL region.

If you do decide to venture to SoFla, please avoid South Beach. It's a tourist trap for those who want to think they are trendy. Seriously, just give me 200 bucks, and you'll leave having the same empty feeling.

For the Central FL area, you are in the tourist mecca. You have tons of attractions down International Drive (some are seriously tourist traps), and since it will be Summer, it will be a good time to venture somewhere with indoor activities unless you want your skin to melt off.

Lenny
12-02-2011, 11:37 AM
I've never seen a gator at any of the places mentioned. We have gators here in florida but don't worry about the places mentioned so far.

I have to see that website, sounds intersting.

The canoo also sounds nice, but 2 things I worry about... these little critters with very sharp teeth... I think they're called aligators or so... and a tremendous heat.

John

EdFerri
01-25-2012, 08:05 AM
If anyone is interested, Roger Waters from Pink Floyd is performing "The Wall" in concert on June 16th in Orlando.

aludden
01-30-2012, 10:59 PM
For anyone interested in nature, I would stop at Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge in Georgia, either on the way down or coming back up. It's out of the way of both major roads going down, but it's great for canoeing or boating - you can rent them there (I would check on that). Beautiful swamp land and trees, with the occasional gator.