PDA

View Full Version : For Sale Steering Joint set

DCUK Martin
11-20-2011, 01:44 PM
Hi everyone, I've finally got around to sorting out my supply of replacement steering joints. As ever the motivation was a car which needed some! I'm fed up of the crap original Rover joints, so here's my alternative.

Sealed roller bearing joints and stainless intermediate shaft with hardware: $129 including shipping to the US/Canada

sdg3205
11-20-2011, 01:52 PM
Nice Martin!

I was trying to separate those joints a few weeks ago and couldn't even get them to budge with the bolts out. To be honest, it's the first time the car actually won a fight! Usually with enough energy, persistence and vulgarity I get my way. Not this time. Fail.

DCUK Martin
11-20-2011, 02:03 PM
Once you've removed the pinch bolts, it really helps to tap a large flat screwdriver into the split and foce the thing open a little. Also use plenty of penetrant obviously!

My current project had me swearing today too. I've never had so much trouble installing a grommet. Bloody handbrake cables.

DSNW Toby
11-20-2011, 10:13 PM
Nice Martin!

I was trying to separate those joints a few weeks ago and couldn't even get them to budge with the bolts out. To be honest, it's the first time the car actually won a fight! Usually with enough energy, persistence and vulgarity I get my way. Not this time. Fail.

Dave - When you run into issues like this, please give me a call. That's why I am here.

stevedmc
11-21-2011, 06:41 PM
Wow. That is a good price. I'm tempted to buy one from you but I made a vow to myself that I would quit spending money until next year.

jawn101
11-22-2011, 03:30 PM
I was just going to ask if anyone else thought that was a ridiculously good price. Guess so. On the list it goes!

Quick question (just ocurred to me) - do these need special bushings or will OEM or the poly ones like DPNW sells work OK?

DCUK Martin
12-11-2011, 11:06 AM
Only just seen your question - sorry!

If you mean the column bush, my joints are seprate from that, although if you do the bush at the same time, it'll make life easier.

As for price - I would suggest that the benchmark for these joints has always been ridiculusly high thanks to the (non) availability of the original joints, which are, as I said above, just Rover units.

jawn101
01-22-2012, 12:04 PM
I'm not sure if I'm the first one here to buy one, but this part was too good to pass up. I just ordered mine today and will happily post a review once it arrives.

DCUK Martin
01-22-2012, 01:00 PM
Here's a short video of them in situe on my current project car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CckzYSEEuYg&feature=youtu.be

TTait
01-22-2012, 09:10 PM
Wow. That is a good price. I'm tempted to buy one from you but I made a vow to myself that I would quit spending money until next year.

Steve,

I don't think its a cheat if you buy it now and just put it on the shelf. You have been charging yourself for tie wraps and oil filters you purchased before your year started, so I buy the argument that you didn't spend it on the car until you mount it on the car.

T

DCUK Martin
01-23-2012, 02:54 PM
...anyway, it is next year now ;-)

In all seriousness though, one aspect of buying months sometimes years before fitting is that you might exhaust the warrenty before you've even fitted it to the car. I have had this with a customer some time ago who didn't fit a part which I buy from a third party for over a year. It turned out to be defective but I could't get my money back or a replacement because of the elapsed time. It put me (the vendor) in a tricky situation.

jawn101
02-11-2012, 10:45 PM
Just posted my review of this over here: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?3079-DCUK-Stainless-Steering-Shaft-Joint-Set

Long story short, if you were considering this part but wanted to wait, don't wait any longer. It's great and you won't be disappointed.