PDA

View Full Version : Cold Air Intake

pezzonovante88
11-26-2011, 10:45 PM
Any opinions/comments regarding the DMCH Cold Air Intake system? Does it sound better, increase HP, improve throttle response? It adds a little extra kick on BMW, but I'd like to hear peoples' experiences with the DMC system. Thanks!

Ps. I'm new to the forum. I'm currently weighing out my options and trying to work out the best time to get my first DeLorean! I'll probably be asking a lot of novice questions like this.

jawn101
11-26-2011, 10:57 PM
If you just mean the tube that eliminates the blending valve and the aux heat pipe from the stove on the manifold, then no - there's really no difference in sound or performance. It does clean up the engine bay a bit and eliminates a failure-prone part. It also allows you to remove that heat stove if yours is a rusted out eyesore like so many tend to be.

pezzonovante88
11-26-2011, 11:11 PM
If you just mean the tube that eliminates the blending valve and the aux heat pipe from the stove on the manifold, then no - there's really no difference in sound or performance. It does clean up the engine bay a bit and eliminates a failure-prone part. It also allows you to remove that heat stove if yours is a rusted out eyesore like so many tend to be.

That's sort of what I figured. It does look quite a bit better, I must agree. Thanks.

Chris 16409
11-26-2011, 11:57 PM
Here's what I've got on my car:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4190GW3KF6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Spectre-Black-air-ducting/_/N-25h5?itemIdentifier=422454&_requestid=534903

It's about the same price as what the vendors charge. I've been happy with it.

DeloreanJoshQ
11-27-2011, 07:28 PM
When I had my car dynoed, we put a box fan on a bar stool and pointed it towards the rear intake with the cold air kit that you are asking about installed, it increased HP about 1-2 vs. no wind blowing into the intake. I agree it looks much better than the stock setup and helps a little bit.

pezzonovante88
11-27-2011, 07:42 PM
When I had my car dynoed, we put a box fan on a bar stool and pointed it towards the rear intake with the cold air kit that you are asking about installed, it increased HP about 1-2 vs. no wind blowing into the intake. I agree it looks much better than the stock setup and helps a little bit.

Well, I guess one can't argue with the numbers.

outatym2001
12-01-2011, 09:51 PM
I bought the Chrome Spectre Air Duct Hose. It’s part number 8748. And I’m glad I did.
I went to my local AutoZone and they only carry black. They told me to special order the Chrome and so I ordered it online here.
http://www.spectreperformance.com/

I don’t remember the cost and the order date was 09/30/2009 according to my packing list. I have driven many thousands of miles since then and I prefer it over the original stock set-up even with our cool weather here in western Washington State. My D is a bit of a slug upon accelerating when it’s very cold outside. It takes several minutes to warm up and start acting normally.