PDA

View Full Version : underbody lights

amuderick
11-28-2011, 11:21 PM
I am thinking of putting some underbody and accent lights on my Delorean. I am not looking to make something craptastic. I'd like something I can turn on occasionally but is otherwise invisible. I'd like something that can be computer controlled to adjust brightness, color, etc. I want something that can look really classy and cool. Any suggestions? Is this blasphemy?

I am less interested in the old "four bars" of light and more interested in accent lighting the wheel wells and maybe the air intakes and other accent points. Ideas?

Mark D
11-28-2011, 11:33 PM
Just my opinion, but I'd recommend not doing it. It's a trend that's been played out already in the mid 90's. Let the car speak for itself without any gimmicks. Why distract from an already unique/exotic car by adding something you'd find on an old Honda civic?

Just my 2 cents, take it or leave it.

john 05141
11-29-2011, 03:11 AM
I agree!
The car speaks for iself... Attracts more than enough attention by itself... It is a classic and does not deserve this.

I am all for modern updates: Led lights, stereo, but I would never put something like this on my car. I did see it once on a BTTF Delorean, I must say as the car was brutally raped anyway... It was acceptable.

But it is your car of course.

John

nofear365
11-30-2011, 10:13 AM
Just my opinion, but I'd recommend not doing it. It's a trend that's been played out already in the mid 90's. Let the car speak for itself without any gimmicks. Why distract from an already unique/exotic car by adding something you'd find on an old Honda civic?

Just my 2 cents, take it or leave it.

+1

Ryan King
11-30-2011, 01:12 PM
I am less interested in the old "four bars" of light and more interested in accent lighting the wheel wells and maybe the air intakes and other accent points. Ideas?

He was talking about accent lighting. I think it would be neat to have some light shinning through the rim spokes. It would be a cool concept, almost like when the whole car lights up to go back in time.

Farrar
11-30-2011, 01:23 PM
Replace one of your dummy switches with a rocker switch from Houston; that can be your on-off control. As for a dimmer, that knob would not be "invisible" unless you mount it under the dash somewhere.

Farrar

Ryan King
11-30-2011, 01:35 PM
Replace one of your dummy switches with a rocker switch from Houston; that can be your on-off control. As for a dimmer, that knob would not be "invisible" unless you mount it under the dash somewhere.

Farrar

Unless you somehow modify the already existing dimmer switch for the binnacle lights. Like in my case, for example, I have LED's in mine, so my dimmer switch is disconnected.

Michael
11-30-2011, 05:44 PM
I personally am not a fan of underbody lights(but I did have them on my TA when they were still in the neon days)

LED strip lighting is the way to go. Most are configured to 12v input, and you can pretty much go as tame or insane as you want to go since power draw is not really a factor. Also, the size of these lights are so small they can go anywhere.

I just got these from Hobbyking:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/catalog/LED-S-BL.jpg

I got about 6' each of green, blue, red, orange, and white. I'm going to make a radio control plane night flyer and it will be intensely bright! I will no doubt have some left over, which I will mount on my road bike. These LED strips are clever, you can match any color combination and cut to any length you want(as long as you keep it in multiples of 3 lights).
There are tons of possibilities that you could do with this, engine bay custom lighting, interior, underbody(with proper weather proofing). They are cheap, easy to mount(adhesive backing) and removable when you get tired of them.

protodelorean
11-30-2011, 09:20 PM
Just about anything can be done tastefully or tacky. I will say this though, many folks don't like traditional car shows, but go to weekend "cruises". Unofficial get-togethers usually on a Saturday nights. For these night shows, some additional lighting (interior, engine bay, etc.) can be a HUGE attraction if the lot is fairly dark and it's hard for folks to see other cars. Yours will be the one that they can actually see.

I'll be adding some footwell lighting interior lights and engine compartment lights to 02650 specifically for these night shows. The goal will be for all installations to be invisible during the day.

DMC_PRIME
12-02-2011, 10:47 PM
It can be done tastefully. I have some lights on the bottom of my car that I put on around 8 years ago for when I was doing lots of indoor car shows where the lighting was very dark. When the lights aren't on, NOBODY knows they are even there. Including myself! Because I haven't checked to see if they still work in over a year. hahahaha. I keep forgetting about them. Anyways, it was fairly easy to install underneath the car. The switch I mounted inside the car wasn't a problem either.....

Just my 2 cents....

John U
12-14-2011, 08:32 PM
I was considering it as well....just a couple blue neon lights underneath to give kind of a BTTF feel at night shows...something easy to conceal and remove if needed

Farrar
12-15-2011, 01:40 PM
The band I am in would like to use the car for a music video and we were trying to think of something easily undone... seems like a couple of LED light bars under the floor of the car would be easy enough -- stick them onto the fiberglass with an adhesive you can remove with a fiberglass-friendly solvent and you'd be good to go. Stick the wires up through the fuel filter access cover, maybe?

Farrar

DMCVegas
12-22-2011, 02:50 AM
[URL="http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com/scrapbook/members/mpolans/mpolans.htm"Matt Olans[/URL] had the most unique underbody lighting I'd ever seen. His car had halogen fog lights in the wheel wells that would shine through his custom wheels at night. If they weren't on, you'd never know they were there. I can't seem to find any pictures of his car at night, but I can tell you that it was something to see. I liked 'em.

BTTF-1
12-22-2011, 08:18 AM
I am using LED Glow underbody lights on my car. I believe as the Hover Delorean took off in lthe movie BTTF II they were green.

Whats cool about these lights are that they are made tough and have a remote control.

Purchased them now need to put them on. Next time she goes in the shop.

She's always in the shop.

ED:strongman::angry_whip::angry_whip:

John U
12-22-2011, 12:09 PM
I am using LED Glow underbody lights on my car. I believe as the Hover Delorean took off in lthe movie BTTF II they were green.

Whats cool about these lights are that they are made tough and have a remote control.

Purchased them now need to put them on. Next time she goes in the shop.

She's always in the shop.

ED:strongman::angry_whip::angry_whip:

where did you buy them?

BTTF-1
12-22-2011, 05:40 PM
John
Here is their website. I purchased mine through them on ebay.

http://www.ledunderbody.com/?utm_source=streamsend&utm_medium=email&utm_content=15282689&utm_campaign=Only%2024%20Hours%20Left%20for%20Free %20Holiday%20Shipping
Ed

John U
12-22-2011, 06:32 PM
Very cool and a good price
thanks
John