PDA

View Full Version : General What have you done to your DeLorean today?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

SIMid
06-01-2011, 06:19 AM
Got my keys and manual from Alex. 1 step closer to ownership!

timothymoore
06-01-2011, 05:13 PM
me? ive not done anything with mine. its actually becoming an eye sore because i bought it as a project to work on at school where im going, but i had to send the title back to the person i bought it off of because it was an estate vehicle and i couldnt get it switched in my homestate because the owner and seller were 2 different people, so i sent the title back almost 3 months ago and havent got it let alone hear anything too constructive from the seller. i came within a fly's hair of parting it out (but im not going to do that after thinking about it for a loooooooong time). mines depressing everytime i look at it.

Renee_1632
06-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Today? Poked and prodded the throttle. I'm about to remove the splash cover and *hopefully* get to the bottom of my stupid throttle/idle issue.

yellowmxwheels23
06-01-2011, 07:35 PM
I will be taking 747 up to DMCCA tomorrow to have my front fascia fixed. It started to seperate from the panels months ago and now that it's show season more than a few people have pointed it out. So its getting pulled the minor eyebrows fixed and repainted just in time for the British themed show in the middle of the month.

yellowmxwheels23
06-01-2011, 08:05 PM
Oh and picking up some new floor mats

DMC3165
06-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Put a new piston in my driver's side door because it blew out on me again.

Lenny
06-01-2011, 10:36 PM
Sent Tony an email at DMCF to see if he can have someone look at my window switches. The fuse keeps blowing.

A warranty is a great thing.

Lenny

dmc6960
06-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Last night touched every solder joint on the Megasquirt ECU (for electronic fuel injection).

Today will reinstall into car and see if the intermittent electrical fault is gone.

Will likely have to drive to work on Monday to know for sure. Only seems to fail during rush hour. :dunno:

Jim Reeve
DMC6960

dhaney
06-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Gave it a bath and went for a drive...

Dan

sdg3205
06-04-2011, 02:40 AM
Drove down to DMC NW to see Toby and John. Had the steering aligned and picked up a bunch of parts. They are always so welcoming and accommodating. Never too busy to chat it up and show some cool new products.

Beautiful sunny day.

Chris 16409
06-04-2011, 05:02 AM
I took my passenger seat out so I could paint the track. It was rusty.

Lenny
06-04-2011, 08:50 AM
My grandson's 8th grade dance was last night and he wanted to be taken and picked up in the delorean. So I drove 2.5 hours picked him up at his house and drove him 10 minutes to his school waited 3 hours and then drove him home. Lastly drove another 2.5 hours home.

I like driving my car.

Lenny

stevedmc
06-05-2011, 09:34 PM
About 18 months ago I bought a Legacy LN46 power antenna. Today I installed it.

DeLorean
06-05-2011, 11:50 PM
power window switches, on the way (my LH just died), also have a new headlight switch coming as well as brake rotors, pads and calipers all coming.

Should be a darn good improvement being able to activate my headlights at the touch of a button, roll down my windows and be able to stop! :lol:

mluder
06-06-2011, 01:33 AM
I am less than 24 hours away from completing my Masters Thesis. Once I'm finished the real work begins... on my car that is.

My biggest problem right now is it's rough to start, rough idle - it's constantly searching for steady, hesitates in accelleration especially under 2500 rpms, really strong gas smell out of the exhaust. I need to check the sparks, and injectors. I'm pretty sure I'm loosing preasure as a spray of carb cleaner around the front od the engine gets sucked in and you can smell it coming out of the exhaust. Hope it's a gasket and not ahole in the block.

The TABs need to be replaced. One is loose and cannot be tightened so I know it's bent.

General flaking on the frame needs to be cleaned up and repainted.

The clutch master cylinder is leaking so that needs to be replaced.

Install a new dust cap on the speedo - already did the lower cable and the right angle drive. Spun it with a drill so I know everything down wind is working but still no speedometer.

Now, cosmetically... Need to repaint the upper windshield trim piece. Re-grain the stainless but first need to have a few dents repaired. Also haveing a serious issue with the shape of the dirver side door. When closed it alligns with the front window pillar and the back edge fine although there's a bit of a bend in the leading edge of the door at the pillar. Below the horizontal trim along the door it quickly curves inwards and appears to be over-closed. However, judging by the wat thetop half lies I believe the door is just bent out of shape.

Need to replace the rear speakers. Replace the power antenna.

I think that's it. Hey, you asked. :) Should take me... oh all summer and I know I won't get to all of it.

Steve

SIMid
06-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Got my insurance quote and sent off my Club application. :D

Only a few weeks away now! :D

fnzen
06-07-2011, 11:34 PM
Finished installing the headliner ! Woo Woo

looks like new but with DMC pod mod8)

sdg3205
06-07-2011, 11:40 PM
Replaced left turn signal bulb and put binnacle back on. Tested it. Now the right side is out. F*%&^. Remove binnacle, replace right turn signal. Test. Both out.

WTF. Jiggle some stuff, adjust connectors. Both work. Win.

Up next - dead pedal.

dmc6960
06-07-2011, 11:40 PM
Reinstalled the Megasquirt computer and took car on long test drive. No repeat of previous problems (computer randomly cutting out). Also determined now that I have a good working O2 sensor, the tune needs a lot more fine tuning.

fnzen
06-07-2011, 11:44 PM
Replaced left turn signal bulb and put binnacle back on. Tested it. Now the right side is out. F*%&^. Remove binnacle, replace right turn signal. Test. Both out.

WTF. Jiggle some stuff, adjust connectors. Both work. Win.

Up next - dead pedal.

Im with you dude right sig indicator just stopped working:angry: chasing gremlins praise lucas

Chris 16409
06-08-2011, 12:50 AM
I am less than 24 hours away from completing my Masters Thesis.

That's what I should be doing right now.

Renee_1632
06-13-2011, 09:38 AM
Got her back from DMC CA, with a new binnacle and the idle system as healthy as possible.

Then, to mock me, it stalled in a parking lot :D

Also started regrain, installed a new airfilter, and started removing the sticker in the front.

sdg3205
06-13-2011, 11:01 AM
... and started removing the sticker in the front.

Sticker? Someone puts a "What Happens in Vegas..." sticker on your bumper?

Farrar
06-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Walked past it and saw a spider web from the right front wheel to the ground. Definitely time to drive it a bit, lack of a/c notwithstanding.

Farrar

sifu22
06-13-2011, 03:20 PM
8) Just waitting for a sunny day to open it out on the road a little. Or alot... :)

content22207
06-13-2011, 05:14 PM
Drove 150 miles on a cloudless sunny day, and wished it was overcast or raining.

Bill Robertson

Mike C.
06-13-2011, 06:28 PM
Yesterday actually: Changed oil, installed new Marty Maier oil pressure sending unit, test drove, parked and covered.

SIMid
06-14-2011, 01:09 AM
Found out my D is still at least 2 weeks away!! Ggrrr!

Alex Brooks
06-14-2011, 01:18 AM
WOW is it ever going to get there ? I was just about to email you asking if you knew where the car was at. That is one slow boat it is coming on.

SIMid
06-14-2011, 09:20 AM
WOW is it ever going to get there ? I was just about to email you asking if you knew where the car was at. That is one slow boat it is coming on.

The boat was suppose to arrive this week, but now they are telling me that it may be the end of next week, then a few days after that for Customs and Quarantine! Nearly forgot i own a D, lucky i have the keys and pics!

Renee_1632
06-14-2011, 09:43 AM
I finally fixed 1632's "won't start if it's hot outside" issue. It was the starter relay. Apparently, the heat in my cabin causes it to get unseated just enough for the car to go "click" when I turn the key. So I just remove it, then plug it back in.

stevedmc
06-14-2011, 09:38 PM
I finally fixed 1632's "won't start if it's hot outside" issue. It was the starter relay. Apparently, the heat in my cabin causes it to get unseated just enough for the car to go "click" when I turn the key. So I just remove it, then plug it back in.

That is awesome news. I got around to putting my center console back in. I now have cold AC and a modern radio with a power antenna.

sdg3205
06-14-2011, 09:52 PM
Installed my dead pedal.

So full of win.

Renee_1632
06-15-2011, 12:26 AM
Yeah...take back what I said. It fixed the issue yesterday, but not today! Took me 40 mins to coax her into starting. She just hates hot weather. So, back to DMCCA. I still suspect that even if the starter's bad, there's some other connection from the relay to the starter (I hear a clicking so I know power is getting to the relay) that is housed in rubber or some other material that expands in heat.

stevedmc
06-15-2011, 12:41 AM
Yeah...take back what I said. It fixed the issue yesterday, but not today! Took me 40 mins to coax her into starting. She just hates hot weather. So, back to DMCCA. I still suspect that even if the starter's bad, there's some other connection from the relay to the starter (I hear a clicking so I know power is getting to the relay) that is housed in rubber or some other material that expands in heat.

Is your AC blower using an original 25 amp breaker? You could try replacing the breaker with a 30 amp unit. The starter shares this same breaker.

I was having start problems and after replacing my starter and relay, it was finally changing out the breaker that fixed the problem.

Also, is your AC blower on setting 3 or 4 when you have start problems? You could turn the AC off and see what happens. Like I said, they share the same breaker and if it trips your starter won't be able to get power.

content22207
06-15-2011, 01:27 AM
Factory wiring does not use a breaker in the starting circuit (in typical DeLorean fashion, there is no protection for the circuit whatsoever):
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=105&d=1306264553

Scotch lock a wire to the Red/White starter solenoid wire at the bulkhead connectors (white connector closest to the firewall) and use it to trigger the starter solenoid via the jump start post. If the starter motor spins, you've got a problem earlier in the circuit. If the starter motor does not spin, you've got a problem with the starter motor/solenoid themselves. Afterwards leave the wire connected (make sure the end of it is insulated) and tuck it underneath the coil cover for future use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQQiUh3lbdQ
(Credit Farrar. I suspect this was a very cold engine start, and his carburetor's fuel bowl was empty -- took a few seconds for the pump to fill it).

Bill Robertson

dmc6960
06-15-2011, 09:29 AM
On a pure whim, I managed to discover a slight fuel leak in the connection between the return soft line and return hard line. Gotta fix that!

Bitsyncmaster
06-15-2011, 09:52 AM

Your an early vin, do you have the starter relay modification?

That modification if done correctly will not trip the blower circuit breaker. It should have wired to "batt" side of the breaker, not the"load" side.

Lastly, I had a bad ground on one of my relays. I ended up making a new ground harness for that bank of relays which do not crimp two wires into one relay connector pin. I should do the same to the other bank of relays one day.

dhaney
06-15-2011, 04:05 PM
Went for a drive.

Dan

stevedmc
06-15-2011, 06:49 PM
Your an early vin, do you have the starter relay modification?

That modification if done correctly will not trip the blower circuit breaker. It should have wired to "batt" side of the breaker, not the"load" side.

Lastly, I had a bad ground on one of my relays. I ended up making a new ground harness for that bank of relays which do not crimp two wires into one relay connector pin. I should do the same to the other bank of relays one day.

Mine was screwed up and wired to the wrong side I guess. Someday I am going to correct it but for now it is working and I'm too lazy to "fix" it.

TimD
06-15-2011, 07:53 PM
On the weekend I finally finished removing all the extraneous wiring, components and modules from the first owner's aftermarket cruise control and alarm system and buttoned up all the spliced wires:

Jonathan
06-15-2011, 09:08 PM
By far the best thing getting done was putting a new fuel accumulator in. It went in reasonably well but had to get a little creative on fixing the pin hole leak in the metal fuel line that runs from the fuel filter to the accumulator.

Got my new Fiberglas glovebox insert installed (and wished the holes in it for the light bulb and switch were actually big enough to install those two things!)

I'm working on resealing my windshield and painting the black trim pieces. Also need to do another top up of the A/C freon as there is no doubt a slight leak still as it sat over the winter.

Winter storage saw a new wiper/horn/turn signals stalk assembly go in; new low and high note horns; new window switches (LED ones); fixed the reverse lockout button on my AT shifter; HVAC panel LED's installed; new engine cover grille retaining bars/clips installed; fixed engine bay light switch; fixed engine lower cover latch; installed new lighted ring cigar lighter/power outlet.

I think that's it ;). A friend said to me recently after I mentioned finishing some project on the car, "you've had that car for 4 years, isn't it done yet?!?". I guess the short answer is "it'll never be done!". There's always going to be something to work on on a 30 year old car... That's part of the fun!!

NVAPILOT
06-15-2011, 10:13 PM
I'm adding ham radio, using the left rear inlet vent for the antenna (my AM/FM antenna is in windshield)

I'll also add 2 cameras for the blind spots on the car, monitors above the a/c vents.

Dave

SIMid
07-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Paid for my freight costs, taxes and custom charges. Pick up beginning of next week. :thumbup:

FINALLY!!!

Chris 16409
07-09-2011, 04:06 AM
I recently bought an engine bay light off the forum and got around to installing it. I thought it may be involved, but once I removed the tail lights, I had all the access I needed. I just tapped into the original light wiring, and strung new wire through the fascia to the other side. I was able to pop rivet the new light on. Drilling the holes were a bit of a challenge because the AC compressor got in the way of the drill. I had come at it from the other end. One of the pop rivets on the original light was not holding very well so I fixed that while I was there. The pictures show how I did the wiring.

I also did some sprucing up in the engine bay since I already had my hands in it. I've never really cared for electrical tape, it makes a sticky mess when it gets old. I got rid of most of the electrical tape in the engine bay, and replaced it with black silicone tape. I really like silicone tape, I've used it in my relay compartment as well. It's probably double the cost of electrical tape, but I will gladly pay it.

The ballast resistor bracket in my engine bay was very rusty, so I removed it for repainting. It looks much better now. I also repainted the metal rod that runs along the back wall of the engine bay. I made sure the connections to the ballast resistor were nice and clean before I reassembled everything.

I repainted the ignition coil cover as well, but I'd like to get a new sticker for it (I need one for the air box too). I'd like to get the stainless one that Ed sells.

dvonk
07-09-2011, 07:31 AM
thats pretty nifty. i like mods that look like they could be stock. do you have any night/dark photos of the lights in action?

Jonathan
07-09-2011, 09:06 AM
Drove it. Decided any of my remaining nice to have, or cosmetic improvements are going to wait until the winter. She's running really well right now and there's nothing worse than not being able to get out on a nice summer night because the day before you decided to take a bunch of things apart!

timothymoore
07-09-2011, 09:14 AM
ordered a fuel system kit, as well as a new water pump kit, relay update kit and spark plug wires for mine. just waiting for all of the goods to come in so i can get to work.

Renee_1632
07-10-2011, 10:20 PM
Got 1632 back from DMCCA with a brand new ignition switch (That was the issue, I mistakenly said it was the NSS in another thread. Sorry!) And I changed my own oil for the first time today. Really hoping I didn't break anything.

AirmanPika
07-10-2011, 10:30 PM
Installed the other rear speaker, now ripping out the steering rack. Stuck at the tie rod ends as usual. I can never get the things to pop out easily.

Farrar
07-10-2011, 11:23 PM
Opened it up, looked for my tool bag, closed it back up again.

Put the jumper cables back in the trunk.

Wished it had air conditioning.

Farrar

stevedmc
07-11-2011, 12:36 AM
Wished it had air conditioning.

Make it so.

Farrar
07-11-2011, 01:54 AM
Make it so.

New thread about that here (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?765-heater-core-evaporator-replacement-what-to-buy).

Farrar

sdg3205
07-11-2011, 03:00 AM
Took a sunset drive with my lady friend in BC's Fraser Valley.

SIMid
07-11-2011, 05:30 AM
Confirmed for pickup tomorrow morning! :) i get to see my D for the first time. :)

dvonk
07-11-2011, 07:49 AM
that is awesome. i can only imagine your excitement! someday ill experience it too. :biggrin:

congratulations, shes in good hands now!

Conundrum
07-11-2011, 04:06 PM
Well, last week, I took 2953 for a spin. 5 minutes from the house, she died. I sat for a little bit and drift started her. Saturday, she fired right up and ran fine for maybe 10 minutes. On my way back through town, she died, even while going downhill. Sat for a while again, swapped RPM relays; nothing worked. I ended up getting a tow close to my house/ Drift started again going down a steep hill. I was able to keep the RPMs high enough to get her home. The past couple days, I've gone out to the garage in an attempt to get her running. The engine will crank, but no fire. Earlier, I went and replaced the o-ring on the PPR. I did this last year and the engine had the same symptoms. The o-ring didn't help. In a couple hours, I'm going to start testing things like spark and fuel. So much for a relaxing week off.

QuadcityDMC
07-12-2011, 08:28 PM
Found a fuel leak at my FV and replaced all the lug nuts- One major fix was the little lock nut rolling around in my driver side door that would drive me nuts everytime I opened the door, it is now been removed using an old lock rod and steady hand!

vwdmc16
07-13-2011, 12:13 AM
i changed out my gutted cat for a working one and installed the new motor mounts i waited 8 months for due to back order issues. Never again in the car, if i have to do these jobs again ill pull the whole engine.

but atleast the engine is way more solid and the car is a bit quieter. now just to pass smog, fuuuuuuu.....

SIMid
07-13-2011, 02:24 AM
that is awesome. i can only imagine your excitement! someday ill experience it too. :biggrin:

congratulations, shes in good hands now!

Thanks mate! :)

Picked her up yesterday, dead battery and no gas. Got her up and running and drove her straight home on a permit. Around an hour drive through country roads (back way). Great way to get the feel of the car and ......... I love it!!! First time behind the wheel of a D and what better way for her to pop my cherry! :D

So she's washed and in the garage getting the battery recharged as I type at work.

john 05141
07-13-2011, 03:24 AM
We needed to oil the wood floor in the living room. We have a double garage, with my wife's car and my D inside, my daily drives stays outside.
So my wife car out of the garage and the sofa's in the garage.

That evening, I decided to have a nice drink :coffee::popcorn:in the comfortable sofa in the garage, just looking at my D. What do I need a TV for this this great view.

My wife walked in "Why are you sitting in the gagage???" She would not understand anyway, I could feel her think.. "Men...?!" As stupid as this may sound, I enjoyed this as much as a drive.

So I did nothing at all, just enjoyed the view. You should try that sometime.

John

SIMid
07-13-2011, 07:05 AM
Spent the evening testing out my regraining method, also using 3M Stainless Spray.

dhaney
07-13-2011, 12:22 PM
Yesterday actually... Drove to my friend Wilson's, you know him as Canon20Fan, and took a quick look at his fuel pump (Waiting on parts) & replaced a frayed fan belt.

Canon20's car looks amazing, it looked great before but is even more over the top now. I am certainly green with envy.

My car ran flawlessly on a beautiful day when I had to turn down the AC because my feet were beginning to freeze.

Dan

Renee_1632
07-13-2011, 04:48 PM
My car randomly wouldn't start in a parking lot on Monday. No, this is NOT the same issue I was having. That was fixed. This time, my battery appeared to have died. So jump started her for about a minute and drove home. Same thing the next day.

So today I had the battery and alternator tested. The battery was good, but the alternator was struggling. Then I noticed that the voltmeter, which usually reads a normal, happy 13, now read about 10. So after a few more tests (checking belts, etc) I looked at my alt. Someone had replaced the ducellier out, thank God, but by the looks of the alternator, it had been done circa 1983. So now I get to learn to replace my own alternator. Yay.

Farrar
07-13-2011, 04:53 PM
So now I get to learn to replace my own alternator.

That's one of my next jobs, too. Easily done if you have a proper way to transfer the pulley and fan from your old alternator, or you can buy from a vendor which includes pulleys and fans on theirs.

Farrar

John U
07-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Installed a backup hood release for the engine bay

timothymoore
07-13-2011, 05:37 PM
im waiting for my fuel and water pump kits to come so i can install them. this weekend i will be dropping the tank and emptying it and cleaning it as well as some other little tinkering with the engine.

DeloreanJoshQ
07-13-2011, 05:39 PM
Installed a backup hood release for the engine bay

How do you do this? Any pics?

Canon20DFan
07-13-2011, 05:43 PM
Easy to do. Get a bicycle brake cable from WalMart or a bike shop. Simple shove the bike cable the same place the stock hood release goes through the fiberglass tub. If I can do this, anyone can.

How do you do this? Any pics?

Canon20DFan
07-13-2011, 05:46 PM
And I appreciate it. :cheers:

Yesterday actually... Drove to my friend Wilson's, you know him as Canon20Fan, and took a quick look at his fuel pump (Waiting on parts) & replaced a frayed fan belt.

Canon20's car looks amazing, it looked great before but is even more over the top now. I am certainly green with envy.

My car ran flawlessly on a beautiful day when I had to turn down the AC because my feet were beginning to freeze.

Dan

DeloreanJoshQ
07-13-2011, 05:46 PM
Easy to do. Get a bicycle brake cable from WalMart or a bike shop. Simple shove the bike cable the same place the stock hood release goes through the fiberglass tub. If I can do this, anyone can.

Where does your backup cable go once you have it come out of the grommet behind the driver tail light?

Canon20DFan
07-13-2011, 05:57 PM
My bad. I read "backup cable for hood release" and stopped reading. I haven't done one for the engine bay, that would be a good one to do.

Where does your backup cable go once you have it come out of the grommet behind the driver tail light?

Farrar
07-13-2011, 07:39 PM
Got my 20-amp circuit breakers for the cooling fans. Preparing to modify circuit.

Farrar

John U
07-13-2011, 07:46 PM
I have a small gap between the rear bumper and frame under the car. The cable comes out through the gap in the area above the driver side tailpipe (I have to get under the car to pull on the backup cable)
I attached one of these to the cable (I liberated it from a rental car )

sean
07-13-2011, 08:06 PM
I have a small gap between the rear bumper and frame under the car. The cable comes out through the gap in the area above the driver side tailpipe (I have to get under the car to pull on the backup cable)
I attached one of these to the cable (I liberated it from a rental car )

I like it!

John U
07-13-2011, 08:08 PM
I like it!

thanks...hope I never need to use it!
Did the same on the front, again using a handle from a rental car....so if you ever decide to climb into the trunk of a rental car in Florida...BE CAREFUL!:rofl:

SIMid
07-14-2011, 05:59 AM
More external detailing and degreased the transmission casing (soak for 24hrs).

Blackie
07-14-2011, 09:41 AM
Adjusted alternator belt and cleaned entire car up as it is being hired for a display at a show tomorrow. Glad when its all over, it is way too cold to be cleaning cars!

Farrar
07-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Drove it twice last night with no problems.

Almost drove it to work this morning but decided against it since it was so hot outside. Turned out to be a good move -- somewhere on West Esplanade Avenue in Metairie there's a dead duck courtesy of my PT Cruiser and a Subaru Outback. The duck didn't leave a mark on the PT, but with my luck it would have wiped out the entire front end of the DeLorean.

Farrar

stevedmc
07-14-2011, 10:51 AM
somewhere on West Esplanade Avenue in Metairie there's a dead duck courtesy of my PT Cruiser and a Subaru Outback.

Once again, you've gotta put down the duckie!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW68O-u4aVo&feature=related

Renee_1632
07-15-2011, 12:11 AM
Drove it twice last night with no problems.

Almost drove it to work this morning but decided against it since it was so hot outside. Turned out to be a good move -- somewhere on West Esplanade Avenue in Metairie there's a dead duck courtesy of my PT Cruiser and a Subaru Outback. The duck didn't leave a mark on the PT, but with my luck it would have wiped out the entire front end of the DeLorean.

Farrar

You own a PT Cruiser and DeLorean? Me too! :D

A Van
07-15-2011, 03:40 AM

And me!

John U
07-15-2011, 09:30 AM

One could argue that you have a soft-spot for unreliable vehicles :tongue2:

A Van
07-15-2011, 10:27 AM
Diesel version with Mercedes engine, 100% reliable so far.
I am after a 300C within months, again diesel Mercedes.

Farrar
07-16-2011, 06:56 PM

Yup, and my PT is turbocharged -- wrong vehicle, I know. :P

Farrar

DeLorean03
07-16-2011, 07:16 PM
Because the last page has been....:offtopic2:

Sorry guys, it's just what I love to do now when threads start digressing. Nothing personal =P.

On another note, I refilled my A/C system with my ES-12 refrigerant and got the car down to nearly 39 degrees in the cockpit.

One of the pins on my black bulkhead connector kept pushing in when trying to put the bulkhead connector female end back on the male pins. Took the backwall off, moved that rats nest of wiring all around, found the wire that was connected to the pin that kept moving back, pushed on it with a flat head screwdriver, and Jessica installed the black bulkhead connector into place. With the flathead screwdriver in place, the pin could not move back, and now all the pins make proper contact.

Symptoms of the above anomaly: no brake lights, but pushing my brake pedal turned on BOTH my green turn signal indicator lights as well as made my green turn signal indicator lights behave as hazard lights when trying to signal a right or a left turn. Also, the 6.1A it takes to power all the brake lights was possibly being rerouted through fuse #4, which conveniently happens to be the fuse for - you guessed it - hazard lights and turn signal indicator circuit. So 6.1A was traveling through fuse #4, which nearly melted the fuse box connection for that fuse.

Installed John Hervey's aftermarket stainless steel brake lines. Man, he doesn't just send new lines; he sends new lines with new nuts and connecting hardware. For $118, what an upgrade from 30 year old rubber brake lines. GREAT product - I'll try to review this later in the "Product Reviews" section.

SIMid
07-16-2011, 08:07 PM
Fixed the driver's seat back trimming and passenger side as well. Re-aligned the wiper positions. Siliconed the front bushes. Fixed the passenger door hinge (was about to pop out!). And slammed my finger with the hood against the wiper arm..... OUCH!

Freaky Beetle
07-16-2011, 08:15 PM
What have I done to my DeLorean today? I caught my brakes on fire.:flamed:

DeLorean03
07-17-2011, 04:37 PM
What have I done to my DeLorean today? I caught my brakes on fire.:flamed:

Rsiking going :offtopic2:, I'm curious - how did THAT happen?

Freaky Beetle
07-17-2011, 04:43 PM
Rsiking going :offtopic2:, I'm curious - how did THAT happen?

A sticking piston on the rear wore the pad down to the metal. No damage, I just need a brake overhaul. Of course I apparently needed one before they caught fire....:banghead:

Utah DeLorean
07-17-2011, 08:08 PM
I was up till 1am last night trying to figure out why my fuel pump is not getting power... going to spend more time on Wed and Friday. The goal is to have mine running again by the end of Aug

Nicholas R
07-18-2011, 12:37 AM
Replaced my evaporator core. Reinstalled the entire passenger side interior. Repaired the fiberglass on the engine cover stay. Painted the engine cover grills.

DeLorean03
07-18-2011, 12:42 AM
Installed SMD LED's in the tail lights. WELL worth the money.

timothymoore
07-18-2011, 05:22 PM
i over the weekend siphoned 8 gallons of 22 year old fuel out of mine and scrubbed the tank out clean. waiting for m fuel pump kit to come so i can install it. excited

dhaney
07-18-2011, 09:46 PM
Finally fied the cargo netting. Earlier in the year the main ribbon around the edges had frayed and broken but the netting itself looked new, so I really didn't want to just throw it out and buy a new one. Especially not for $50.

So I journeyed over to the local Army Surplus Store and sure enough they had the same nylon? rope only slightly larger than stock for $0.07 a foot. I bought extra and paid $0.53. Then I ventured over to the local hardware store for some hog rings spending less than $1.50 for this.

It took me about 1/2 an hour to lace the rope around the outside of the netting and reinstall it on the S-hooks in the caro area. Looks brand new, works great and cost less than $2.00...

Then I went for a nice long drive!

Dan

DMC5180
07-18-2011, 09:49 PM
Installed SMD LED's in the tail lights. WELL worth the money.

Pictures of the results please :biggrin: and the Bulb's for reference.

DeLorean03
07-19-2011, 12:19 AM
Pictures of the results please :biggrin: and the Bulb's for reference.

Here is the trunk with a HOT incand bulb:

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=2838&d=1311048842

And here is a 18 SMD LED bulb:

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=2836&d=1311048842

And here is the engine bay bulb with an old LED with 6 bulbs:

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=2835&d=1311048842

And here is the engine bay with the new 18 SMD LED:

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=2837&d=1311048842

Obviously, it's not a "awe-inspiring change", but to keep the load light on the electrical system of the car, I think it suites its purpose well. And remember, the heat generated from these LEDs are sometimes almost 10x LESS than regular incad bulbs, as visible in Ozzie's blog here:

http://delorean2109.blogspot.com/2008/11/leds-are-cool.html

I have them in the brake lights as well, and THAT is where the difference will be very impressive. I'll get those pictures up soon.

As for reference, here is where I got my SMD LEDs from:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250846613535&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Nicholas R
07-19-2011, 12:22 AM
Painted lower engine cover, re-installed newly painted grills with new foam and new retainer strips. Also replaced the latch hook on the engine cover.

Rich
07-19-2011, 01:57 AM
Wired in a replacement turn signal flasher plug/receptacle to replace the cracked original that was no longer being supported up to the left of the steering column under the dash.

One of the female blade fittings in the original receptacle was bare because of cracking-deterioration. After installing the flasher relay into the new receptacle I secured it to the vertical knee bolster bracket to the left of the steering wheel. Made sure there could be no electrical contact to the bracket.

It is now as safely wired as it was 30 years ago and it is easier to hear it when it's flashing because it's not floating in mid-air back up in there. Well worth the hour and the negligible cost of parts.

chef4u
07-19-2011, 03:23 AM
Fixed both window regulators last month.
Tinted all the windows this month.

SIMid
07-19-2011, 06:20 AM
Got my new throttle sheild :)

Nicholas R
07-20-2011, 02:58 AM
Today: Painted and re-installed my lower engine cover. Re-glued my door headliners. Installed new A/C Accumulator, Replaced A/C low pressure line, condenser/evaporator cross over line, and low pressure switch.

If we're mentioning things that were recently done as well, on the 4th of July weekend I replaced my crumple zone. Talk about a big job. Glad that one's over.

ramblinmike
07-20-2011, 06:55 AM
DIY door lock actuators and launchers. Sanded down and painted relay compartment metal bracket that holds everything.

Nicholas R
07-23-2011, 12:50 AM
Replaced my 30yr old stock radiator fans with DMC-Midwest's high performance fans. Re-riveted the condenser/radiator brackets. Fiberglass repaired a crack in the louvres (still need to sand/blend and paint). Replaced windshield washer pump.

Farrar
07-23-2011, 10:02 AM
Put a desiccant pack inside to suck out some moisture.

Hope.

Farrar

Rich
07-23-2011, 06:23 PM
Fixed a tiny problem I just could NOT figure out for the longest time.

On mountain twisties and only when going uphill and taking a left-hand sweeper I occasionally would get windshield washer fluid bleeding slowly out of the w.washer nozzle onto the windshield. I seldom if ever use the wipers, much less the washer pump. The flow rate was maybe a spoonful in a few minutes. It always stopped later. I knew it could not be the pump activating.

I took the cap off the washer reservoir, looked on the inside, found that the vent hole in the center of the cap gasket was solidly mudded over after 30 years with maybe a little bit of rust bloom from the interior of the cap. Cleared the gasket vent with a small tool, put everything back together and now - no more dribbles.

Apparently the reservoir would heat enough with hot radiator air to "pump" a little juice up the line in certain circumstances since the vent was blocked. The blockage was not evident from outside since the cap's vent hole was clear. Photo of the gasket, now with clean center vent, below.
2 minutes to fix something that's been only very occasionally been bugging me for >5 years.

SIMid
07-23-2011, 07:56 PM
Had her Road Worthy test yesterday. Few compliance issues to resolve.

Farrar
07-23-2011, 11:16 PM
Replaced a headlight and replaced the associated screws with stainless equivalents.

Unwrapped a wiring harness in the engine compartment.

Got rained on.

Farrar

steve6864
07-24-2011, 08:47 PM
Drove to Johnson city,Tenn. and picked up some scrap doors from Michael Maupin.Going to try to make a tag along trailer with working gull-wing doors!Doors were gutted,but not just shells,and had been through a fire,so,they will have to be painted after i get out the worst of the dents.By the way,I may have never seen a "D" as nice as his. I`m sure it is well known in those parts.6864.

Farrar
07-24-2011, 09:00 PM
Finished removing unused wiring in the engine compartment and wrapped most of what was left with wire loom and zip-ties:

Also ran a new wire for the choke heater. Uses same source as auto trans computer: Fuse #13.

Went for a drive. :)

Farrar

opethmike
07-24-2011, 10:31 PM
I fixed my AC leak - one of the Schrader valve cores was leaking. While it was empty, I also replaced the two o-rings on the compressor.

I also installed sway bar poly bushings. Not sure if it is simply because they aren't thirty years old or they really are a lot stiffer, but the front end feels tighter, and the 'shudder' I was getting under heavy braking is gone. I did a before and after test drive on a windy, hilly road near my house.

Chris 16409
07-25-2011, 05:38 AM
I'm sure many of you have had or currently have deteriorating rubber under the carpet on your parcel shelves. I really think it looks like an eye sore whenever you pull the carpet back to get into the rely compartment. I wasn't sure what to use to replace the original rubber and foam padding. I thought about getting a thick piece of rubber to eliminate the foam all together. I was looking at OSH (Orchard Supply Hardware), but the only rubber they had wasn't big enough to cover the whole area, and it was over $30. So, I decided the foam padding wasn't all that bad, it was just the rubber that was no good. While I was at OSH I found rubber that was the same thickness as the original, and that would work with the existing foam. The old rubber in my car was actually still attached to the foam pad so I had to do a bit of extra work the get all of it off (Note the knife in one of the pictures). Once the old rubber was off, it was just a matter of sizing up the new stuff. I used a sharp razor blade and cut it in place using a metal straight edge. I think it turned out pretty well. It's much better than it was that's for sure. I know a lot of people like to use DynaMat, but I only paid $9 for the rubber. Maybe in the future, I may replace the of foam pad. I think a carpet pad would work nicely.

Farrar
07-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Ordered housings and bulbs for H4 headlight conversion. Eager to get the project started. Wondering if the weather will cooperate. Fingers crossed!

Farrar

SIMid
07-25-2011, 06:34 PM
I'm sure many of you have had or currently have deteriorating rubber under the carpet on your parcel shelves. I really think it looks like an eye sore whenever you pull the carpet back to get into the rely compartment. I wasn't sure what to use to replace the original rubber and foam padding. I thought about getting a thick piece of rubber to eliminate the foam all together. I was looking at OSH (Orchard Supply Hardware), but the only rubber they had wasn't big enough to cover the whole area, and it was over $30. So, I decided the foam padding wasn't all that bad, it was just the rubber that was no good. While I was at OSH I found rubber that was the same thickness as the original, and that would work with the existing foam. The old rubber in my car was actually still attached to the foam pad so I had to do a bit of extra work the get all of it off (Note the knife in one of the pictures). Once the old rubber was off, it was just a matter of sizing up the new stuff. I used a sharp razor blade and cut it in place using a metal straight edge. I think it turned out pretty well. It's much better than it was that's for sure. I know a lot of people like to use DynaMat, but I only paid $9 for the rubber. Maybe in the future, I may replace the of foam pad. I think a carpet pad would work nicely.

Interesting. Mine only has carpet with velcro to stick it to the rear boards. Unless yours is a later build?

Ordered 4 new tyres, couldn't get them to match, front and rears. :(

Renee_1632
07-25-2011, 06:41 PM
Attempted to replace the alternator. Got the old one out, then realized connectors were different...new thread pending lol

Chris 16409
07-25-2011, 06:43 PM
Interesting. Mine only has carpet with velcro to stick it to the rear boards. Unless yours is a later build?

You don't have anything between the two wood covers? Is it just bare fiberglass? You should have some kind of carpet-pad like foam with rubber on top. Maybe someone else tore it out because it was all deteriorating.

Chris 16409
07-25-2011, 06:45 PM
Attempted to replace the alternator. Got the old one out, then realized connectors were different...new thread pending lol

Where did you get your alternator? What kind did you have before? If you bought the new one from the vendors, then they should have included the proper plug. Do you have any pictures?

Renee_1632
07-25-2011, 06:54 PM
Where did you get your alternator? What kind did you have before? If you bought the new one from the vendors, then they should have included the proper plug. Do you have any pictures?

Just started a thread on the issue: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?941-Alternator-installation-issue

DMC3165
07-25-2011, 08:21 PM
I dropped my classic insurance today and put the D on my regular policy as it is now my everyday car.

......and may god have mercy on my soul.....

:jawdrop:

Farrar
08-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Installed new headlights (actually a few days ago, forgot to post here) ...

... and new door LEDs. (In the photos, the driver's side has new units, the passenger's side old units.)

Farrar

TheDutchTexan
08-04-2011, 03:21 AM
^ next project -> Eyebrow wax... :tongue:

Just watching all ya'll working on your DeLoreans makes me one jealous puppy...

SIMid
08-04-2011, 05:06 AM
Brake lines in process of being replaced.

sean
08-04-2011, 07:43 AM
I lamented about how I wish there was more leg room and the horn was not so wimpy.

xbrules
08-04-2011, 08:21 AM
I fitted the Special T auto stripe kit to my car. I'm quite chuffed with how good it looks as when I first unpackaged it, I was not convinced it would look good. only 2 small creases in it from being in a tiny cardboard box all the way from the states

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq180/xbrules/2011-08-04_12-10-55_319.jpg

SIMid
08-04-2011, 06:38 PM
I fitted the Special T auto stripe kit to my car. I'm quite chuffed with how good it looks as when I first unpackaged it, I was not convinced it would look good. only 2 small creases in it from being in a tiny cardboard box all the way from the states

Heat gun will get rid of those. If your not sure, take it to a Signwriter and they can flatten the creases for you. ;)

h22wut
08-04-2011, 11:02 PM
Been looking for a thread like this :)

Started my restoration today.

took most of the interior out(dash and center console are still in)
Got to the interior frame mounting bolts and took them out
Took off the rear fascia to get to the rear bolts.
Bagged and marked everything and put it in individual boxes for the reinstall

Farrar
08-06-2011, 05:49 PM
Removed the RPM Relay and replaced it with a jumper bridging the RPM Relay Socket terminals 15 and 87. Checked fuel pump function.

Ran a wire from terminal 30 of RPM Relay Socket to the "green" terminal of the Otterstat. Checked cooling fan function.

Removed stock 40-amp circuit breaker from cooling fan circuit and replaced it with one 20-amp circuit breaker for each fan. Checked cooling fan function.

Started engine and checked gauges. Waited for cooling fans to come on. Engine died after five minutes, unable to re-start and check cooling fans. Uttered silent expletives. Wiped brow. Cursed the heat. Went back inside.

Farrar

content22207
08-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Drove it from Virginia Beach to Washington DC through the worst traffic in the nation (5 hours @ 25-30 MPH -- thank God for A/C). Drove it from the NC/SC border to Virginia Beach all alone in the middle of the night last night. Only real problem is my cassette tape deck is acting up (I carry a spare, but it's faceplate is marine white -- workable in a darkened passenger compartment).

Bill Robertson

robvanderveer
08-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Yesterday I installed LED footwell lights, and today I installed DeLorean europe's front LCA supports. No time for a test drive unfortunately.

sdg3205
08-07-2011, 07:10 PM
I installed DeLorean europe's front LCA supports.

Let me know what you think. I've been looking at these but can't justify the $500 it would cost me.

content22207
08-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Get an American friend/relative to buy them, then declare them as "scrap metal" with no dollar value when they remail them to you.

Bill Robertson

Renee_1632
08-07-2011, 09:46 PM
drove 1632 joyously around in circles

sdg3205
08-07-2011, 11:28 PM
She broke down 3 consecutive times in traffic.

We're not talking right now.

robvanderveer
08-08-2011, 08:00 AM
Let me know what you think. I've been looking at these but can't justify the $500 it would cost me.

I have not driven it yet with the new arms, but everybody I speak tells me they are the best DeLorean upgrade money can buy.

content22207
08-09-2011, 03:27 AM
Gave an underage underdressed girl gang a thrill in the Fayetteville Walmart parking lot at 2:30 in the morning.

"Ooooo, what a hot car -- can I have a ride?" Oh please. I just wanted to pee, buy some gas, then drive the rest of the way home.

The damndest thing is: they didn't seem to have a vehicle of their own. Either they walked there, or they rode their bicycles then stashed them in the bushes.

FWIW: Except for the cassette tape desk, my little car performed flawlessly on this little jaunt -- no volt gauge fluctuations, no low PSI readings, no idle or A/C problems, etc. I highly recommend regrounding what Dunmurry wrought. Remember: electrons flow from negative to positive (Ben Franklin got it backwards).

Bill Robertson

SIMid
08-09-2011, 07:33 AM
New brake lines dont fit :(

jawn101
08-09-2011, 09:38 AM
Got my alternator back in, tested the new LEDs in the HVAC panel, and went for a flat-out drive for a few miles on a high-speed highway near the house. With the A/C on. Cursed vehemently at the flickering battery light at high RPM but smiled happily at the perfect idle. :)

Jonathan
08-09-2011, 09:38 PM
Dropped 3937 off at my newly found local mechanic. Getting a couple big ones done: exhaust manifold gaskets, seals and boots on rear drive axle (plus a final drive oil change), and a once over on all the brakes to measure thicknesses and check overall condition. Will check back in with ya once I get'er back.

Canon20DFan
08-10-2011, 01:16 AM
Put in an alternator on Sunday with the guidance of my friend, Dan. Put in a Hervey Super Pump on the day before with guidance from the same friend. I can't thank the Rocky Mountain Delorean Group enough for all their help in getting my car back on the road of late.

timothymoore
08-10-2011, 04:17 PM
havent done a thing , but tommorow after work im installing DMC'S relay update kit, then saturday gonna try to wake 10186 from its coma

Jonathan
08-10-2011, 06:16 PM
I stopped by the shop on the way home tonight and he's made a lot of progress in one day. He was working on the rear drive axles, had everything apart, putting the new seals in and whatnot. It looked like at least 3 of the 4 CV joint boots had tears in them.

The entire exhaust was off and sitting on a table. He pointed out that my new(er) muffler heatshield had a rub spot on the muffler side, combination of the heat likely and some movement. Is this commonplace? I have the one from DMCH that has that material layer adhered to the metal.

Wow, the manifold gaskets. Holy frig am I happy I convinced myself not to try this at home. He did a great job and didn't break a single stud (whoo hoo!). He showed me a couple of the studs that he welded on a nut to take them out easier with. The manifolds look reasonable and he'll grind out a flat surface on them prior to reassembly. And boy oh boy do PO's ever leave surprises sometimes. There are two murdorous holes where some previous work done on the manifold studs did a number on the metal surrounding the hole in the engine block. If you're facing the side of the engine, on both sides it is the hole/stud in the upper right hand corner. The passenger one is harder to get at and it is the worst of the two. He said a heli-coil will work in the drivers side one, but he'll have to get creative with the passenger one. Again, not my area of expertise so I'm happy to pay someone qualified to fix it.

Overall the car looked pretty good. My POR-15 work up front is still ok. Of course it's way easier to see from below when the car is on a lift compared to when I did the work while on ramps. He hasn't gotten to the brakes yet although the rotors looked fairly decent on the front side and a little rusted on the backside. We had a look at where my auto trans governor wiring is routed over and out of the way of the exhaust manifold and we'll make sure it stays that way.

He also mentioned putting some insulation over the wire going to the engine oil pressure idiot light as it didn't have much protecting the actual wire. It's on the other side of the heatshield from the muffler but still likely gets hot. He also noticed my belts weren't quite tight enough and will snug them up properly.

The gasket kit has just about everything you need. We'll put new bolts in the catalytic converter connection as those are done. The remains of my asbestos heat shield under the cat is in miserable shape... but I wasn't sure if there was a replacement for that?? I told him he could get rid of it, but if there's nothing to go in it's place, we'll just leave it where it is. Also going to put my oil dipstick sheath clip bolt in as it was missing and I couldn't seem to wiggle the new one in when it was misaligned.

I mentioned the engine motor mounts and what he thought of them (after seeing someone on here recently talk about replacing theirs). He said the rubber is crispy and it might be something I keep in mind about tackling sometime in the somewhat near future.

I always find it really neat to get even just a few minutes under your car when it's up on a lift. Cause it seems so rare to get this view. I would love to have more time and do some real up close and personal looks and clean things up.

DMCMW Dave
08-10-2011, 06:31 PM
Get an American friend/relative to buy them, then declare them as "scrap metal" with no dollar value when they remail them to you.

Bill Robertson

And when they get lost in shipping that's exactly what the claim will pay you.

content22207
08-10-2011, 07:06 PM
... The manifolds look reasonable and he'll grind out a flat surface on them prior to reassembly....

And you will have a permanent exhaust leak thereafter.

A flat file is OK, but tell him to stay away from the angle grinder.

Bill Robertson

Jonathan
08-10-2011, 07:22 PM
And you will have a permanent exhaust leak thereafter.

A flat file is OK, but tell him to stay away from the angle grinder.

Bill Robertson

I asked him to resurface the manifolds. I shortened the description for the sake of this post not being 5 pages long. I have ZERO fear of him doing something that would yield a permanent exhaust leak thereafter. Do you honestly think he would let a customer pick their car up after fucking over their manifolds because he missed your wise advice?

content22207
08-10-2011, 07:27 PM
Steve Rice's mechanic was all set to take an angle grinder to his manifolds before Steve stopped him.

Bill Robertson

sean
08-10-2011, 07:30 PM
Steve Rice's mechanic was all set to take an angle grinder to his manifolds before Steve stopped him.

Bill Robertson

Is this the same mechanic that sat on his car for weeks/months without making progress? I remember him having some issues with that cat.

John U
08-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Finally received and mounted my Flux Capacitor door....looks great, works great and has an excellent fit!

Farrar
08-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Picked up my new fuel pump! :D

Farrar

content22207
08-12-2011, 03:40 PM
Started taking #5939's suspension apart (despite a *TERRIBLE* summertime cold -- I work for an hour, then go inside and take a nap). #5939 is getting the same suspension upgrade as #2508: Byrne's LCA's *AND* Ed's outriggers. Check it out at DMA FFT'11.

Bill Robertson

robvanderveer
08-12-2011, 04:31 PM
You will *love* Ed's supports.. I do.

sdg3205
08-12-2011, 04:45 PM
Installing new speakers. Do a little bit of work every morning I get home at 2 am.

sean
08-12-2011, 04:47 PM
You will *love* Ed's supports.. I do.

I think he is already running Ed's gear on his other whip.

#5939 is getting the same suspension upgrade as #2508: Byrne's LCA's *AND* Ed's outriggers.

Farrar
08-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Check it out at DMA FFT'11.

Someone take pictures of this; I want to see the end result and can't make it to DMA events on a regular basis, owing to living in southeast Louisiana.

Farrar

Jonathan
08-12-2011, 05:48 PM
3937 is now home from surgery :) Wow. Mr Dave S., you were 100% correct when you said "you will be shocked at how quiet the engine is after you get your exhaust gaskets done." Holy moly, I almost had to double check to see if it was actually on or not. I only drove about 1 mile home so far, so no long test drive under my belt yet, but what a difference.

The three highlights were the manifold gaskets; rear axle clean-up including new collars (don't have the part # handy at the moment), seals, boots, grease, final drive oil, and minus a number of dirty rags worth of grime; and an overall brake lube and adjustment to the calipers, pads, pistons and whatnot.

Just like the service visit I had a couple seasons ago with getting the new auto trans shift computer and a new brake master cylinder, today the car again feels like a new car. GIDDYUP!!!

content22207
08-12-2011, 07:35 PM
Someone take pictures of this

Dry run on #2508:
(Please excuse the surface rust, since restripped and painted -- winter fell before I had a chance to paint the shock towers after their first stripping).

Stock LCA's are unbelievably floppy without the sway bar attached (to be brutally honest, they're pretty floppy with it in place). Even without a sway bar attached, this setup barely moves at all. It's as close to a double wishbone as I can get.

There has been some concern expressed about sway bar arc of motion. First & foremost, the sway bar is bendy as hell. If you don't believe me, stand yours on end and pull down on it. It's basically a big spring (hardly an optimal device to hold lower control arms in alignment). The sway bar will easily flex outward as necessary through its arc of motion.

Second, just turn the front mounting bushings around (meaty part towards the rear) -- duh.

Bill Robertson

sdg3205
08-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Dry run on #2508:
(Please excuse the surface rust, since restripped and painted -- winter fell before I had a chance to paint the shock towers after their first stripping).

Stock LCA's are unbelievably floppy without the sway bar attached (to be brutally honest, they're pretty floppy with it in place). Even without a sway bar attached, this setup barely moves at all. It's as close to a double wishbone as I can get.

There has been some concern expressed about sway bar arc of motion. First & foremost, the sway bar is bendy as hell. If you don't believe me, stand yours on end and pull down on it. It's basically a big spring (hardly an optimal device to hold lower control arms in alignment). The sway bar will easily flex outward as necessary through its arc of motion.

Second, just turn the front mounting bushings around (meaty part towards the rear) -- duh.

Bill Robertson

Bill, was it you who posted the video of the LCA's under braking load?

I'd sure like it if an American franchise would produce these.

timothymoore
08-12-2011, 08:47 PM
i removed the slave cylinder and at the same time broke the hydraulic pipe

content22207
08-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Bill, was it you who posted the video of the LCA's under braking load?

I simply edited down Raphael's video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMHO4Aydk04

The original is gone from YouTube. I believe this is his car with Ed's outriggers in place:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgVfi8Dn6Rk

Bill Robertson

Kenny_Z
08-12-2011, 09:48 PM
Wow, that is a huge difference in stability. That's very impressive.

Farrar
08-13-2011, 03:24 PM
Re-installed passenger kneepad -- still flops around, though.

Repaired malfunctioning courtesy light circuit -- ground terminal had fallen out of relay socket.

Broke flux capacitor cubby hole door while re-installing trim piece above parcel shelf.

Broke glove box insert while removing it.

Failed to install fuel pump due to incorrectly-sized fitting.

Dripped a lot of sweat inside the car.

Sighed heavily.

Farrar

content22207
08-14-2011, 06:57 PM
Just finished tearing #5939's front suspension all to pieces. I am now the proud owner of two totally unroadable DeLoreans (#5939 does at least have a radiator).

It will take me a couple of weeks to paint the everyliving daylights out of the new components (I am reusing the upper control arms), then I'll post some pics of the new assembly. To the best of my knowledge I will be the only person using both Byrne's LCA's and Ed's outriggers. What I wouldn't give for a proper front I beam....

My cold is still here, BTW. It came back this afternoon with a vengeance.

Bill Robertson

Farrar
08-16-2011, 12:18 AM
Got a few parts...

Farrar

Ryan King
08-16-2011, 03:04 AM
I finished up the final touches on my Interior LED mod, and I have to say. I love em! Highly recommend doing it.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?152-Cheap-basic-LED-interior-lights/page5

jawn101
08-18-2011, 08:11 PM
Replaced the white LEDs in the indicators under the HVAC controls with red (cooling fan, door lock) and amber (rear defrost) models instead. What an improvement!!

SIMid
08-18-2011, 10:38 PM
Replaced the door LEDs with SMDs. Doors look awesome now!

Ryan King
08-21-2011, 08:48 PM
I installed a new instrument cluster circuit board today! In the photos you can see how bad of shape my old board was. Pretty easy to install, just took some time and patience.

Here is the Binnacle removed. I have done this more times then I can count, which is probably why the board contacts were so shot...

Here is the old board removed off of the cluster

Comparing the old board to the NOS board

Old and destroyed crumpled contacts (Before)

New Hotness (After)

And here it is installed on the back of the cluster! Everything seems to be operating better and the lights seem to be a bit brighter. Still need to take the car out for a night drive to really tell.

Ryan King
08-21-2011, 09:50 PM
AND I just now put some new gaskets on my exhaust. I took my old gaskets into Kraggen Auto Parts / O'Riley Auto Parts. They compared the two and got the inner diameter correct, which is what counts.

After installation the left tail pipe has no leaks, but the right pipe has a little leak towards the top, so I need to re-adjust the pipe once it cools down.

/Productive Day

xbrules
08-21-2011, 10:35 PM
I pulled out the hood linings and gave them to my trimmer to recover them, I removed the old duct tape holding the wiring to the inside of the roof and put new tape back. I also fitted a new latch to my rear louvres to replace the missing one.

DMC5180
08-21-2011, 11:45 PM
:driving1:it on a 1000 mi round trip too the Woodward Dream cruise. That was one fun day. Never saw so many collector cars crusin' in my life. Not one bttf or coke joke ( that I heard ). Did overhear one guy giving the the usually misinformation about JZD to his kids. Wasn't worth my time to correct the idiot.

SIMid
08-22-2011, 07:09 AM
Got my registration and number plates today. :D

All registered for the road!!

AdmiralSenn
08-22-2011, 07:01 PM
Remounted the fuel regulator and lower engine cover stay, and discovered why the starter hasn't been working. I think I'm going to paint the rear engine bay panel and get that one back on the car soon.

Farrar
08-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Did the HVAC panel lights mod.

Farrar

1Mcfly4u
08-23-2011, 12:19 AM
Stared at her and promised I'd get working on her again soon....

xbrules
08-28-2011, 05:04 AM
re-installed my freshly recovered head lining. very chuffed :D

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq180/xbrules/IMG_4432.jpg

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq180/xbrules/IMG_4431.jpg

yellowmxwheels23
08-28-2011, 12:36 PM
got my windows tinted 30%
was talking to a guest at my work that owns SDtint.com. We got into talking about cars and I said I was thinking of getting the windows tinted in the D. He gave me this look. He was like you have a Delorean, yea. He then says I would do your windows for shits and giggles, come by on monday and I'll hook you up.
I show up and he comes out and was like fuck, I didn't think you really had one and wouldn't show.
$450.00 tint for free with lifetime waranty.

jawn101
08-28-2011, 12:40 PM
re-installed my freshly recovered head lining. very chuffed :D

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq180/xbrules/IMG_4432.jpg

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq180/xbrules/IMG_4431.jpg
Looks great! I love the scalloped center section. That's not how it was originally, was it? If it is mine's in much worse shape than I thought :) Don't forget to fix that outer door seal on the passenger side or that nice new headliner will get all wet :)

was talking to a guest at my work that owns SDtint.com. We got into talking about cars and I said I was thinking of getting the windows tinted in the D. He gave me this look. He was like you have a Delorean, yea. He then says I would do your windows for shits and giggles, come by on monday and I'll hook you up.
I show up and he comes out and was like fuck, I didn't think you really had one and wouldn't show.

Does the tint help keep the interior cooler?

DMC5180
08-28-2011, 01:08 PM

Got pictures! Inside and out. Com'on man lets see um :biggrin:

Farrar
08-28-2011, 08:53 PM
Replaced (most) screws in spare tire compartment with stainless equivalents. (Need to order more -- Home Depot near me stocks a painfully small amount of stainless metric hardware.)

Cleaned all interior vinyl except doors with Meguiar's vinyl cleaner.

Cleaned seats with Mother's leather cleaner, then applied Mother's leather conditioner.

Cleaned all glass with Invisible Glass.

Silently thanked whoever invented microfiber cloth a gazillion times. :)

Found out my passenger side rocker panel is falling off. :(

Farrar

SIMid
08-29-2011, 07:00 AM
Detailed and entered in the local show with the locals, created a bit of a stir :)

xbrules
08-29-2011, 10:18 AM
Looks great! I love the scalloped center section. That's not how it was originally, was it? If it is mine's in much worse shape than I thought :)

that is how they are meant to look, run your hand across the center section you should be able to feel it

dmc6960
08-29-2011, 11:40 AM
My car has been disabled for a few weeks after hitting a moderate bump on my way home from work. After the moderate bump, strange noises occured on every little bump thereafter. Kinda a cross between a clank and a thud. Car had no other change in behavior. After getting home, I was able to noticeably recreate the sound by pushing up and down on the front (passenger side). FINALLY last weekend I had free time to actually look at what was going on. When I first pulled the wheel, it appeard the nuts and cup washer holding down the top bushing for the shock (2009 Spax unit) at fallen off. Off I go to the hardware store to get new nuts (I already had a hardened washer to use as a substitue cup washer). Once back home, I jack up the LCA to raise the shock back into the mount properly. Then when I go to push the bushing back down, my original two nuts appeared! Apparently the cup washer was forced off of the mount going strait through the retaining nuts. Perhaps those cup washers could use a little more strengthening. Oh well, all is good now still after 150 miles on it. Had to test drive it really good! :cool1:

stevedmc
08-29-2011, 11:50 AM
My car has been disabled for a few weeks after hitting a moderate bump on my way home from work. After the moderate bump, strange noises occured on every little bump thereafter. Kinda a cross between a clank and a thud. Car had no other change in behavior. After getting home, I was able to noticeably recreate the sound by pushing up and down on the front (passenger side). FINALLY last weekend I had free time to actually look at what was going on. When I first pulled the wheel, it appeard the nuts and cup washer holding down the top bushing for the shock (2009 Spax unit) at fallen off. Off I go to the hardware store to get new nuts (I already had a hardened washer to use as a substitue cup washer). Once back home, I jack up the LCA to raise the shock back into the mount properly. Then when I go to push the bushing back down, my original two nuts appeared! Apparently the cup washer was forced off of the mount going strait through the retaining nuts. Perhaps those cup washers could use a little more strengthening. Oh well, all is good now still after 150 miles on it. Had to test drive it really good! :cool1:

I had the exact same thing happen. The washers Spax chose for the front are garbage. I don't understand why they didn't use the same washers in the front as in the back.

sdg3205
08-29-2011, 09:40 PM
Took it to a Drive In last night and saw Cowboys Vs Aliens.

Good times.

sean
08-30-2011, 11:05 AM
I thought really hard about how to acquire a 5-speed frame for my project.

Lenny
08-30-2011, 02:26 PM
Drove my car to Sarasota. while to trying park in a parking garage I "Touched" a concrete barrier with the right front bumper. I now have my first "Ding".

There is no real damage just a pucker of the paint on the fascia and a mark on the Black Bumper.

CRAP CRAP CRAP!!!!

robvanderveer
08-31-2011, 02:53 PM
Sanded my LCA's after a tripping bad day at the office. It was a good way to unwind.
The LCA's had to come out, to change bushings and ball joint replacement. Tomorrow final cleanup and first coats of paint.

Now its time to sit back, relax, and enjoy a little movie. (It's 21:00 in Europe now).

AdmiralSenn
08-31-2011, 05:14 PM
Started, fired right up and revved freely. :shocked:

Jonathan
08-31-2011, 07:13 PM
Detailed and entered in the local show with the locals, created a bit of a stir :)

Local show with the locals? Is that kinda like how the back door is in the back?

SIMid
08-31-2011, 10:24 PM
Is that kinda like how the back door is in the back?

? Dont get ya there ?

Near my home, on nice Sunday mornings, the owners in the local area bring out there pride and joys and park them near this cafe on the main road. So its like a meet and great with people. Some awesome cars rock up, including my Delorean. :headbang:

content22207
08-31-2011, 10:42 PM
Stripped and primed the shock towers, preparing for their 10 coats of paint.

I'm almost halfway through painting the suspension components.

Pics in mid to late September.

Bill Robertson

Jonathan
09-01-2011, 01:27 PM
? Dont get ya there ?

Sorry, random BTTF quote on my part.

steve6864
09-04-2011, 09:54 PM
In the past 2 weeks or so,I have brought my center console back to about 95 percent stock.I like my aftermarket shift knob.I`ve noticed some 83`s that have different switches to the left and right of the window switches and found Jeep Grand Cherokee switches are like that so I have 2 of then installed instead of the grey dummies.Also currently tackling the dash replacement.Taking out the old was one of the hardest things I`ve done.Got the new one in and am now tackling the binnacle for a recover attempt.6864Oh yeah,new glove box lid to match the new dash.

SIMid
09-08-2011, 11:23 PM
Headlight conversion from LHD to RHD. Also rewired the parking lights and side light to indicate.

Also fabricated the headlight gap bezels with ABS sheeting on either side.

Lastly, added Dynamat to cover the gap between the petrol tank and themo fans.

Farrar
09-09-2011, 12:03 AM
Replaced screws in trunk (boot) with black nylon; discovered I am missing three rivnuts.

The mix of M5 and M6 screws in there is annoying. I wish they were all M6.

Farrar

AdmiralSenn
09-09-2011, 01:18 AM
Performed de-eyebrowing on driver's side front fascia. Hopefully tomorrow after I clear the protective cloth and its resultant fibers out of the way the entire region will be straight.

Spittybug
09-09-2011, 09:11 AM
In the past 2 weeks or so,I have brought my center console back to about 95 percent stock.I like my aftermarket shift knob.I`ve noticed some 83`s that have different switches to the left and right of the window switches and found Jeep Grand Cherokee switches are like that so I have 2 of then installed instead of the grey dummies.Also currently tackling the dash replacement.Taking out the old was one of the hardest things I`ve done.Got the new one in and am now tackling the binnacle for a recover attempt.6864Oh yeah,new glove box lid to match the new dash.

What year Grand Cherokee? Do you have pictures please?

Dracula
09-09-2011, 10:08 AM
Started replacing my fuel lines with braided stainless ones from the UK. Got three in, cut up my hand pretty well, ruined my "cold air intake" routing, and left it at that. Now it looks a little hodgepodge, but I don't feel like pulling out the injectors just yet.

steve6864
09-09-2011, 07:59 PM
Sorry,I don`t remember what year,but,just go to E-bay.Type in jeep switches.The ones that fit a Delorean are obvious.6864.

Farrar
09-09-2011, 09:19 PM
Just to be different...

Farrar

Kenny_Z
09-09-2011, 09:44 PM
Power washed the floor carpeting to prepare for sound deadening and new speakers tomorrow. TS Lee left me with a puddle in the passenger side and a leak or plugged drain to find and clear. I've had the carpets and seats out with a little bit of damprid in the closed up car to try to draw out all the moisture.

Farrar
09-09-2011, 09:46 PM
I've had the carpets and seats out with a little bit of damprid in the closed up car to try to draw out all the moisture.

Good stuff -- I keep Damp-Rid in the car at all times: I hang a bag of it from one of the cargo net hooks. I live in southeast Louisiana, so you can probably appreciate how much humidity my car sees. :)

Farrar

content22207
09-09-2011, 10:00 PM
TS Lee left me with a puddle in the passenger side and a leak or plugged drain to find and clear.

Make sure your windshield plenum drain is clear, otherwise rainwater will come into the evaporator box through the fresh air door, thence to the floor via the hose that's supposed to blow air on the blower motor.

Bill Robertson

jawn101
09-09-2011, 10:41 PM
Yesterday: got the center console and HVAC panel/radio removed. Today: installed a 12 wire harness from a 2000 Honda into the dashboard and built my harness to hook the new head unit into it. Did a test run: all 4 speakers are working and the sound is amazing. I haven't even replaced the speakers! They're all still stock. I guess "amazing" is relative considering "silence" was my previous listening option :) Now I just have to wait for my new DIN faceplate to arrive from Houston...

Kenny_Z
09-10-2011, 02:55 PM
Make sure your windshield plenum drain is clear, otherwise rainwater will come into the evaporator box through the fresh air door, thence to the floor via the hose that's supposed to blow air on the blower motor.

Bill Robertson

Thanks to Farrar's post I think that's where my problem is. A little rain doesn't hurt but a lot fills up the car. The water marks come through the fresh air vents. I can't seem to figure out how to get to that drain to clear it. Any tips?

That's a great idea Farrar, I'll make sure to do that. Humidty here on the Gulf is horrible.

jawn101
09-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Yesterday: got the center console and HVAC panel/radio removed. Today: installed a 12 wire harness from a 2000 Honda into the dashboard and built my harness to hook the new head unit into it. Did a test run: all 4 speakers are working and the sound is amazing. I haven't even replaced the speakers! They're all still stock. I guess "amazing" is relative considering "silence" was my previous listening option :) Now I just have to wait for my new DIN faceplate to arrive from Houston...

Got the passenger side dash speaker installed. Yes, that took all day. I don't know who installed those speakers originally but I'd be willing to bet it was done before the dash was dropped in.... :)

sdg3205
09-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Mounted my 8" sub in the storage compartment door.

Holy smokes what an improvement.

As i wrote in another thread, I mounted the amp UNDER the spare tire so it's completely out of view. I ran the ground through a broken riv nut hole in the fuel pump access panel to the rad bracket ground point.

This was a surprisingly time consuming project, mainly because I was being very careful and wanted everything to look as stock as possible.

The biggest asset was purchasing a complete wiring kit for the amp. It contains all the proper AWG wires, terminals and fuses.

The total approximate cost for the entire sound system project:

Infinity fronts and backs (3.29 and 5.29) - $54 & $72
8" Infinity sub - $60
Pioneer GM-D7500M ClassD Car Amp - $96
Stinger Wiring set - $60

Roughly $350.00

Not bad.

jawn101
09-10-2011, 04:29 PM
Mounted my 8" sub in the storage compartment door.

Holy smokes what an improvement.

As i wrote in another thread, I mounted the amp UNDER the spare tire so it's completely out of view. I ran the ground through a broken riv nut hole in the fuel pump access panel to the rad bracket ground point.

This was a surprisingly time consuming project, mainly because I was being very careful and wanted everything to look as stock as possible.

The biggest asset was purchasing a complete wiring kit for the amp. It contains all the proper AWG wires, terminals and fuses.

The total approximate cost for the entire sound system project:

Infinity fronts and backs (3.29 and 5.29) - $54 & $72
8" Infinity sub - $60
Pioneer GM-D7500M ClassD Car Amp - $96
Stinger Wiring set - $60

Roughly $350.00

Not bad.

Pics or it didn't happen! :)

sdg3205
09-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Pics or it didn't happen! :)

Hah, sure Ill get some when I have a chance. They're not too interesting though!

content22207
09-10-2011, 04:48 PM
Thanks to Farrar's post I think that's where my problem is. A little rain doesn't hurt but a lot fills up the car. The water marks come through the fresh air vents. I can't seem to figure out how to get to that drain to clear it. Any tips?

It's behind the lip that holds the spare tire access cover, directly in line with the pump. From the factory it has a small diameter drain tube, kind of like the evaporator box, which is just asking to get clogged with leaves and other debris. You are much better off leaving the hole bare. Do be aware, however, that the hole will dump rain water right into your fuel pump without something to protect it. I use a splash guard:

Bill Robertson

Kenny_Z
09-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Awesome, thanks Bill. I'll take care of that today. I'm sure I can build a splash guard or a better drainage tube out of whatever I have laying around.

content22207
09-10-2011, 05:28 PM
Most K-Jetters use the stock pump cover.

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
09-10-2011, 05:34 PM
I drove 16510 a lot this past week without any problems. Monday I drove over 460 miles in one day. Thursday I drove over 230 miles and yesterday I drove about 250 miles. Basically I logged a little over 1000 miles this past week and the sucker starts every time.

Gas mileage ranged between 22 and 29 mpg depending on how I drove the little devil.

Most K-Jetters use the stock pump cover.

Bill Robertson

I use a 1 gallon zip lock bag. They make great fuel pump boot covers and the local dollar store sells this delorean part in packs for 25 for about $2.

Farrar
09-10-2011, 07:24 PM
I replaced the spark plugs and air filter.

Farrar

content22207
09-10-2011, 08:11 PM
Decided to strip and paint #5939's fuel tank closing plate. This is going to add at least 20 days before its return to the road (10 coats each side).

Will #5939 make it to DMA FFT'11 or not....

Bill Robertson

pt11334
09-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Nothing, waiting for john to send me my AC compressor and AC lines. :umm:
Tooooo hot to drive in miami, with no AC.

vwdmc16
09-12-2011, 03:15 AM
I FINALLY fixed the F*cking low RPM/idle misfire that 1768 has had since i bought it over 2 years ago! it only needed an entire ignition system replacement with parts form a 32k miles volvo 264. im so happy with it!

dmc6960
09-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Yesterday I finally got my speedometer working again. Earlier this year after the lambda counter started making horrid noises, I decided to order a one piece speedometer cable and eliminate it. I ordered it from PJ Grady, installed it, but unfortunately it did not fix the speedometer. After some troubleshooting, I discovered that the cable itself was really hard to turn. I removed it and cleaned out what appeared to be a little too much grease. Now it turned great. Only it had already taken its toll on the front dustcap. So another new dustcap later, and I'm back in business, with a perfectly smooth working speedometer.

This had better last me until I get the fully electronic one working.

Canon20DFan
09-12-2011, 02:28 PM
I took my D in for a brake fluid flush and pads. While others I know insist that mere mortals can do their brakes, it requires tools I don't have. Oh and my mechanic says that after my car is fixed, it's the most popular loaner car he has on the lot! :thumbup2:

opethmike
09-12-2011, 02:30 PM
While others I know insist that mere mortals can do their brakes, it requires tools I don't have.

You don't have wrenches and a floor jack?

stevedmc
09-12-2011, 02:34 PM
While others I know insist that mere mortals can do their brakes, it requires tools I don't have.

Tools are usually cheaper than paying even the cheapest mechanic. My mechanic only charges $40/hour but I only use him for really big jobs such as my recent engine swap.

I do my own brake work. I can't remember what I paid for my wrenches, jack stands, and jack but I'm sure it was cheaper than 2 hours of labor.

Edit: It looks like he went up on his labor again. Now its $45/hour. http://batonrougeautorepair.net/

Canon20DFan
09-12-2011, 03:35 PM
I just look good in 'em, I don't fix 'em...

You don't have wrenches and a floor jack?

Delorean Industries
09-12-2011, 03:46 PM
I just look good in 'em, I don't fix 'em...

Well put! You do have mad angle drive and axle replacement skills though!

Canon20DFan
09-12-2011, 03:48 PM
I do, I had forgotten. Still, one job frequently turns into another and I have the pros to yell at if the doesn't work out...

Well put! You do have mad angle drive and axle replacement skills though!

SIMid
09-14-2011, 07:05 PM
Dropped her off to get the Eibachs and Spax installed. Can't wait till afterwork to pick her up and check her out! :biggrin:

Expensive upgrade, hope it was worth every dollar.

Jonathan
09-14-2011, 08:01 PM
Went for a nice drive tonight... and didn't expect it to rain. My windshield reseal job apparently was successful (whoohoo!). Now my wiper delay module on the other hand... ya know, the one that gives intermittent wiping. I think there is some confusion on what I think intermittent means and what the delay module thinks. Me: I think it should come on about every 5-7 seconds or so. The delay module: it thinks that intermittent means doesn't work at all for the first 35 miles of the drive but does start to work on the last 2 miles. D'oh!!

jawn101
09-14-2011, 09:45 PM
Ran all the wiring for my locking compartment subwoofer, still waiting for my DIN faceplate to arrive so I can finish the install :banghead:

robvanderveer
09-15-2011, 02:44 PM
Ran all the wiring for my locking compartment subwoofer, still waiting for my DIN faceplate to arrive so I can finish the install :banghead:

Lol that is amazing coincidence. Today, I finished the wiring for my locking compartment subwoofer too!! The difference is, mine is working now, and I finished the complete install (amp/sub/wiring/head unit). I am *very* satisfied now!

jawn101
09-15-2011, 02:50 PM
Lol that is amazing coincidence. Today, I finished the wiring for my locking compartment subwoofer too!! The difference is, mine is working now, and I finished the complete install (amp/sub/wiring/head unit). I am *very* satisfied now!

Awesome! I am excited to do mine as well. I pre-staged the wiring to make it easier when I am actually ready to do the amp/sub combo, but I don't have them yet. I just figured I'd save myself the trouble of ripping out the center console again and get everything in place :)

robvanderveer
09-15-2011, 03:19 PM
Awesome! I am excited to do mine as well. I pre-staged the wiring to make it easier when I am actually ready to do the amp/sub combo, but I don't have them yet. I just figured I'd save myself the trouble of ripping out the center console again and get everything in place :)

Smart move. I didn't, and I had to lift the console out again. :(

SIMid
09-15-2011, 06:37 PM
Suspension installed, looks 100% better now. :)

http://i56.tinypic.com/fk75ev.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/k1yt8x.jpg
Yesterday morning.

http://i55.tinypic.com/20adv7o.jpg
The result :) She should drop a little more once she settles.

Got the Lotus Club cruise this Sunday, will test out the handling.

content22207
09-15-2011, 07:37 PM
Pulled the console out and took it apart to paint the center section black.

I have come to peace with the fact that my car will never be put back together in time for DMA FFT'11 (obviously we're still in disassembly mode).

Bill Robertson

Farrar
09-15-2011, 07:38 PM
Pulled the console out and took it apart to paint the center section black.

You're painting the console? I thought it was all vinyl.

Farrar

content22207
09-15-2011, 07:41 PM
I am only painting the center pad and the coin tray (I'll paint the shifter surround too so it all matches). The rest of the console will still be gray. This is the look I am going for:

Bill Robertson

TTait
09-15-2011, 07:49 PM
About a year ago I had a black one that was getting a bit threadbare, the vinyl top layer was getting thin in a few spots.

I dusted it with several coats of Rustoleum vinyl spray. Its a spray on vinyl in a can, not a vinyl dye. I'm sure if you laid it on thick it would start to obscure the original texture, but used in moderation it did a great job.

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=117

Jonathan
09-15-2011, 09:48 PM
This is the look I am going for:

Whose car is that Bill? I really like the look of the "DMC" lettering logo on the console where the rheostat and clock normally are.

Ryan King
09-15-2011, 10:06 PM
Whose car is that Bill? I really like the look of the "DMC" lettering logo on the console where the rheostat and clock normally are.

My friend Chris Miles here in town, that's his car. He is here on the forum too.
http://dmctalk.org/member.php?84-Chris-16409

tyb323
09-16-2011, 10:42 AM
I have come to peace with the fact that my car will never be put back together in time for DMA FFT'11 (obviously we're still in disassembly mode).

Bill Robertson

=( I hope you can get it done! So are both your cars off the road?

content22207
09-16-2011, 11:19 AM

(Look closely and you will notice that the front suspension is MIA).

I just can't seem to resist taking crap off the car to paint it. Eventually there will nothing left but a bare underbody, which could use a good coat of flat black itself....

Bill Robertson

stevedmc
09-16-2011, 11:59 AM
Lately I have been seeing a lot of cat foot prints on the Delorean. This morning I placed three glue traps on the car. :evilgrin:

I'm excited to see if any traps are missing when I get home today.

Chris 16409
09-16-2011, 05:21 PM

I thought te DMC logo turned out well. I did it because I don't have the clock on my car. I never liked the later shifter plate without the clock, it doesn't look balanced. Since I put LEDs in my instrument cluster, rheostat just works as an on/off swich (no dimming). Since I never used the rheostat, I took it out and jumpered the wires. Then I got the idea I want something in it's place. So I cut a piece of plexiglass to fit the area and covered it in black vinyl. When I bought my car, I got a box of stuff with it. The stainless DMC letters were in the box. So I glued the letters down to the plexiglass plate, and glued magnets to the underside of it. The magnets adhere to the shifter plate. So it's eaisly removable. I'm not aware of where you can get the letters now though. Some vendor may sell them still. I used the same vinyl to recover the arm rest pad.

content22207
09-16-2011, 07:33 PM
Gray interiors simply lack enough black accents (too much gray). Black down the entire length of the console makes the car look much more contemporary.

Bill Robertson

Dracula
09-16-2011, 07:36 PM
Gray interiors simply lack enough black accents (too much gray). Black down the entire length of the console makes the car look much more contemporary.

Bill Robertson

To an extent, I agree with you, however, I'd go no further than black floor mats and coin tray. I think that's sufficient.

jfirios
09-16-2011, 07:51 PM
i agree that there is too much gray. I am thinking of two toning my interior black and gray

content22207
09-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Use black construction paper to do a dry run on possible changes -- allows you to see first hand what they will look like.

Bill Robertson

jawn101
09-16-2011, 08:22 PM
Finally finished my stereo install. Looks and sounds great now but I'm sort of disappointed with the sound quality over bluetooth audio. It is good not great. Over a hard line it's great :)

Subwoofer is next, watch this space...

Dracula
09-16-2011, 08:29 PM

Here's my gray interior with black floor mats and coin tray. I find it gives the car just enough contrast with the gray without changing too much.

SIMid
09-17-2011, 06:02 AM
Finally finished my stereo install. Looks and sounds great now but I'm sort of disappointed with the sound quality over bluetooth audio. It is good not great. Over a hard line it's great :)

Subwoofer is next, watch this space...

Im also considering changing my HU and adding a Sub. Looking into slim subs due to lack of space in the D.

Delorean02378
09-17-2011, 08:56 AM
Headed to NoRoads garage this morning to see one of Travis's Deloreans (6344) back on the road after an engine rebuild, transmission rebuild, brake rebuild, new fuel system, and probably a bunch of other things I'm forgetting to mention. I'm excited to see this car one back on the road, it's been way too long. http://www.noroads.com/delorean/projects/engine/?content=5

Also hoping to change the fuel filter and install a metal door handle on mine (15500) and put the old one on (04389). Opening the drivers side door from the passenger's seat is getting old.

Pictures coming tonight.

Kirk

jfirios
09-17-2011, 11:01 PM
i like the look of the black floor mats but think it might need a little more. I have to fix my center console anyway, since the ends are curling up and was thinking of doing the whole center black. with the black knee pads. Are your DMC letters glowing on the door?

Dracula
09-17-2011, 11:44 PM
i like the look of the black floor mats but think it might need a little more. I have to fix my center console anyway, since the ends are curling up and was thinking of doing the whole center black. with the black knee pads. Are your DMC letters glowing on the door?

I didn't make any permanent changes or anything that would involve replacing expensive parts or altering the accuracy of a gray-interior car; despite the fact that my car was a black interior car, I now have what would've been a factory gray setup instead. The floor mats are easily removed in the event of the sale of the car and nothing I do is intended to look out-of-place or would give passers-by the idea that it wasn't stock. Even parked next to another DeLorean, people tend not to notice my changes.

The door sills, however, are a bit more obvious. They're lighted and glow a brilliant blue that I've never been able to photograph. I got them from DMCMW and, since my dome lights don't work, they're my only illumination when the doors are open.