PDA

View Full Version : Skidmores Leather Cream

thirdmanj
12-02-2011, 11:52 PM
A source turned me on to this stuff: http://www.skidmores.com/

It is the best leather cream I have ever used. Easy to use, natural, and reasonably priced. I purchased some for a cabinet refurb and read that it could be used on leather, in the same fashion. You can really feel this stuff work. I first used it on a DMCH shift boot I purchased back in '07. I thought it was in good shape, and that the Skidmores would just be for good measure, I was wrong. I had previously never used a leather treatment on the shift boot, the Skidmores brought it back to life, feels NEW again! I've since put it on the rest of the interior, good for vinyl too. I'm just floored by the results.

You've got to to try this stuff! Also, as an added bonus, since it uses all natural ingredients including beeswax, it gives off a real and pure smell, similar to new car but more REAL!

Hope it can work for you!

john 05141
12-05-2011, 03:35 AM
I have this set from DMC with all type of cleaning products in it. Came with the car when I bought it. Inside is also a bottle with protector for your leather seats. I do this twice per year. (Cool climate here and my car is always parkerd inside)

I had my seats professionally recoverd 5 years ago and they still look like new. I like the mat new leather looks. What I do not like is when the leather becomes shiny. I fear these products shine up the leather.

How often do you guys put these products on your seats?
Am I right these products give a shine to leather?

John

thirdmanj
12-05-2011, 09:33 AM
The Skidmores will not shine it up, only moisturize it. Initially it will be shiny when it's applied. Just let it sit for a time, about 2-3 hours and wipe it off with a clean rag. What's left I can only describe as a moisturized skin feeling. No icky residue, no chemical smell, just a brand new leather. Thats what I love so much about this particular product, all it does is reinvigorate the leather, make it healthier.

As to use, everything I've ever heared about automotive leather care recommends 1-2 times a year.

pezzonovante88
12-06-2011, 03:30 PM
Never tried it. I usually use AutoGlym conditioner on my cars, which I find works really quite well; moisturizes nicely and has a nice faint scent. I also occasionally use Leatherique which is a small speciality brand.
A couple times per year, I 'clean' the leather with XtraDuty (a foaming all purpose interior cleaner bought through commercial supplier CarBrite) and a toothbrush. Then I apply Leatherique conditioning oil, THEN the Leatherique Leather Cleaner. Then a slight bit of AutoGlym Conditioner to finish it off. The leather will look very clean and will feel significantly softer and robust. Sorry to ramble, but that's my leather care regimen.

1batt4u
12-13-2011, 06:23 PM
Will it work on the rest of the car that is pleather??

thirdmanj
12-13-2011, 07:38 PM
Will it work on the rest of the car that is pleather??

Yes it will, very well in fact.

1batt4u
12-15-2011, 01:18 PM
Cool!! Actually just realized I wrote pleather instead of vinyl. lol

When applying the cream, just put it on and let it sit??? Doe snot require heat like Leatherique does??

thirdmanj
12-15-2011, 03:20 PM
I figured vinyl was what you meant. The instructions do not call for heating, but when I put it on 1258s seats ambient temp was about 65 degrees. It's incredibly simple to use.

1batt4u
12-28-2011, 12:56 AM
So I just received my skidmore leather cream. How exactly should I use it??

Might sound like a dumb question, but I've used several leather care products, each has its own.

I use a clean rag, and I just spread some on the seat, console, ect.. as if I were applying car wax or something??

thirdmanj
12-28-2011, 06:15 AM
So I just received my skidmore leather cream. How exactly should I use it??

Might sound like a dumb question, but I've used several leather care products, each has its own.

I use a clean rag, and I just spread some on the seat, console, ect.. as if I were applying car wax or something??

That's correct. Apply it with a clean rag of lint free cloth, or it's applicator if it came with one. It should make the leather and vinyl appear glossy upon initial application. Let it sit for about ten to fifteen minutes then wipe it all off until the gloss disappears. Enjoy!

1batt4u
03-15-2012, 05:36 PM
So, I have been using this product for awhile, I really don't see any result.

Other than my DeLorean I put some on my Trans Am as well, but no difference either.

There are a few rough/hard spots on the DeLorean, most of put 5 applications at differen times. I also used a hair dryer on those spots. The hair dryer made it soft, which I thought needed some ehat, but became hard again. I don't want those spots to start cracking!

Any ideas?? Am I doing something wrong??

sdg3205
03-15-2012, 05:41 PM
So, I have been using this product for awhile, I really don't see any result.

Other than my DeLorean I put some on my Trans Am as well, but no difference either.

There are a few rough/hard spots on the DeLorean, most of put 5 applications at differen times. I also used a hair dryer on those spots. The hair dryer made it soft, which I thought needed some ehat, but became hard again. I don't want those spots to start cracking!

Any ideas?? Am I doing something wrong??

It's gonna crack. Sorry!

My seats were rock hard but still un-cracked. I used 2 ENTIRE bottles of Leatherique (it's a 2 part thing). I even removed the seats from the car and turned our bathroom into a sauna with a bunch of heaters. It got a lot of grime out, but within a few weeks of sitting on the seats i got cracks.

If the leather is super hard AND tight (insert joke here) it's probably gonna crack.

thirdmanj
03-15-2012, 09:05 PM
I'm sorry to hear it... I guess there is stuff even Skidmores can't bring back from the dead. I hope this hasn't turned you off from the product. I guess maybe it was just your leathers time?

1batt4u
03-15-2012, 09:46 PM
I feel there is no point to the cream. It hasn't done anything to any areas I put it on. Even the ok/good spot, thought it might improve them, but absolutely nothing.

What are your experiences??

thirdmanj
03-15-2012, 09:57 PM
Well it was like I said. I got it and followed the instructions. And the after effect on my leather AND vinyl was amazing. I used it on a 4 year old shift boot from DMCH that was feeling a bit on the stiff side. After I applied it and let it set for a while, then removed it per the instructions, it was like brand new again! That's why I recommended it. I wish I could've seen your seats condition.