PDA

View Full Version : Raleigh,NC Classic has a Delorean going up for auction at 1PM EST

natesky
12-03-2011, 11:52 AM
1PM Today (ie. in a hour) probably too late, but feel free to reach out to me (PM) if you want to discuss. I was there yesterday when it drove in. Talked to the owner (first owner) a bit.

it had a no reserve sticker on it.

-Nathan

Chris Burns
12-03-2011, 12:48 PM
What was the story on it?

natesky
12-03-2011, 01:49 PM
What was the story on it?

I didn't think to ask if it was ok to repost his story/etc, so I'll leave out the details but fairly typical first owner I think, hasn't touched the car in years (had others working on it) not terribly well versed in the background of the car or the current state of things, probably lost interest quite a long time ago having realized it wasn't going to be a investment car in the near future, and as a sports car itself has short comings.

The car itself is a 1983 with black interior, 5speed. Flat hood of course. Engine sounded rough, I'm fairly certain it had just come off a trailer before driving into the building. Was leaking coolant quite badly, though looks like it was coming from the expansion tank. One of the "mechanics" that had been working on the car drove it in.. though I would be hard pressed to identify any part that had been replaced mechanically or cosmetically in the last few years.. except the front springs which were way way too short.. the car looked like it was eating the front wheels.

Body work was pretty straight, couple minor creases in the fender, lots of scratches like someone tried to clean it with sand paper the wrong way (perpendicular to the grain), greasy windows, incorrect grey paint on the fascia's (close but clearly a different tint), and the oddest thing was the rear louvers which were both severely cracked but also the hinges/support was crushed such that the louvers were about 1.5" lower at the hinges than they should be, as if the car had rolled over (not that I think it did,. but can't explain how the louvers ended up as they are). The mechanics must have tried to make it work that way buy cutting out most the weather stripping the long way.. but looked pretty bad.

The inside was ok on first glance but everywhere you focused on you would find things off. The a pillar trim was ratty/torn, binnacle severely cracked, the seat back on the drivers seat looked recovered but didn't quite match either the seat bottom or a OEM pattern. shifter boot was pop'ed out, cigs in the ash tray..

You get the idea, it was all there, but very rough in the details. I'm confident someone could bring that car back but there was probably 6-8 grand of work that I saw (without crawling under, etc.) to get it into average-good condition.

No offense to the owner, but I wasn't terribly impressed with either the car's present condition or simple prep things like greasy windows, AAA sticker on the bumper, and butts in the ash tray.. Given the extreme high quality of the other cars I saw there, this isn't helping the general perception of Deloreans being basket cases.

-Nathan

Chris Burns
12-03-2011, 02:54 PM
I wish people would take better care of their cars, or a least sell them to someone who will!:sad30: