PDA

View Full Version : Interesting new stereo head unit available Parrot Asteroid

TTait
12-07-2011, 12:15 AM
I've been looking at the Parrot Asteroid recently.

http://www.amazon.com/Parrot-Asteroid-Android-Powered-Stereo/dp/B005AFVHLQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1323234419&sr=1-1

Single Din AM/FM unit with no optical drive (cd/DVD) but its android powered and can connect to the internet. It has a built in GPS (limited functionality at this time), can take usb and SD card libraries and organize and play them, but where it excels is by linking via bluetooth to your smart phone. The car stereo itself is powered by android, but it works equally well with any phone, but particularly any smart phone.

It interfaces with the phone to make and receive calls, as well as to learn all your contacts, and accepts bluetooth streaming audio. It also links to smart phones and uses them as a modem to get internet data for its own apps.

Reviews say the voice commands "call Steve Roberts at home" or "play Mannheim Steamroller" are as good or better than fords sync etc, and they work with any platform. It also uses your phone (or an optional 3G USB dongle from the carrier of your choice) to connect it to the internet. You can scroll through emails and text messages by voice, and dictate replies. It has built in apps and will support 3rd party apps as well. Currently you can stream pandora or i heart radio, etc. The quality is supposed to be exceptional.

That said, its still early in its release - so additional apps are few or none so far. It does have me thinking though. Read some reviews and visit the website to get a better explanation if this is intriguing.

If the gps started running full google maps, and some cool third party apps start showing up this could be a game changer, and as the unit is upgradable - that could happen quickly if it catches on.

I played with one for a few minutes at the local Fry's. Its nicely built. The big button which reads PARROT does not itself rotate, and its sized so that it looks like it would accept a DMC badge (a la the auto gearbox selector tag) very nicely. Fit and finish is excellent.

I'm not ready to pull the trigger just yet, but I would like a nicer head unit to go with my new kick butt speakers. If anyone here gets a chance to experience this unit I'd be curious to get your opinions.

SIMid
12-07-2011, 12:47 AM
I've been looking at this HU as well. Haven't seen any become available here yet. Will be interested to see how it works when I come across one to play with.

Still undecided what I want to put in, something cheap or something reasonable.

jackb
12-07-2011, 01:05 AM
Sounds badass, and it looks good too, really blends with the rest of the interior.

TTait
12-07-2011, 01:14 AM
I've been looking at this HU as well. Haven't seen any become available here yet. Will be interested to see how it works when I come across one to play with.

Still undecided what I want to put in, something cheap or something reasonable.

I played with it a little, seems solid and well made. The screen is not a touchscreen, just a display... Sounded good too, but I couldn't test the apps as there was no phone tethered to it.

TTait
12-07-2011, 01:25 AM
Sounds badass, and it looks good too, really blends with the rest of the interior.

It looks nice stock, but with a quick and simple mod ($23 emblem from DMCH)...

Disclaimer - I did not do this to scale, its a guess as to how big the emblem would be on the dial.

I wonder if anyone here knows how to create android apps? I think Parrot has released the SDK so anyone can write their own...

robvanderveer
12-07-2011, 06:30 AM
Another Dutch owner showed me a very similar model last september, already installed in the DeLorean. Is this a new version? Or was it not yet released in the US?

SIMid
12-07-2011, 04:52 PM
I played with it a little, seems solid and well made. The screen is not a touchscreen, just a display... Sounded good too, but I couldn't test the apps as there was no phone tethered to it.

The screen looks too small to be "touchable". If you squint, the unit is very similar to the Alpine unit available today.

http://caraudiomag.com/sites/default/files/images/00000/82/94/p_0805_01_z_alpine_ida_x100_head_unit_front_view.j pg

I'm going to wait for the Xmas sales and see what I can upgrade the D with. Still like to check out the Parrot before then.

TTait
12-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Another Dutch owner showed me a very similar model last september, already installed in the DeLorean. Is this a new version? Or was it not yet released in the US?

I think this was released in the US in late summer or autumn (sorry Simon - August/September here). Its from a french company so it may well have come out in Europe before we got it, but I think it was first shown anywhere at the CES convention in January this year. I'm surprised Australia can't get the unit yet.

Simon, if you want to order one and ship it to me, I'll repackage it as a non taxable Christmas gift and mail it on to you...

pezzonovante88
12-09-2011, 09:48 PM
It looks nice stock, but with a quick and simple mod ($23 emblem from DMCH)...

Disclaimer - I did not do this to scale, its a guess as to how big the emblem would be on the dial.

I wonder if anyone here knows how to create android apps? I think Parrot has released the SDK so anyone can write their own...

That's AWESOME!

SIMid
12-12-2011, 12:23 AM
Simon, if you want to order one and ship it to me, I'll repackage it as a non taxable Christmas gift and mail it on to you...

Are you going to get one? It's the postage to me which is the killer. :( It wont be light in weight either.

TTait
12-13-2011, 01:07 AM
Are you going to get one? It's the postage to me which is the killer. :( It wont be light in weight either.

I may get one in coming weeks or months, but not in a rush.

I'd love figure out how to help you get one cheaper. I can get you one for $307, shipped free to me (we have amazon prime) if you have any idea how to get it from LA to AU cheap. Looks like priority mail down to you would be another $45 US... If that works for you send me a PM.

Any friends coming to the states for the holidays that could carry it home? I've an acquaintance from Wellington NZ coming to visit, but I don't know if I could impose upon him to mail it once he got south again.

SIMid
12-13-2011, 08:36 PM
I may get one in coming weeks or months, but not in a rush.

I'd love figure out how to help you get one cheaper. I can get you one for $307, shipped free to me (we have amazon prime) if you have any idea how to get it from LA to AU cheap. Looks like priority mail down to you would be another $45 US... If that works for you send me a PM.

Any friends coming to the states for the holidays that could carry it home? I've an acquaintance from Wellington NZ coming to visit, but I don't know if I could impose upon him to mail it once he got south again.

Thanks mate. I'm gonna see what Xmas specials come up and if nothing meets my standards, I may take you up on that offer. ;)

ATM, looking at a solid state HU, something very simple in design and black in colour.

TTait
12-13-2011, 11:33 PM
Just pick something with good bluetooth, had it in my good stereo till I melted it - the older one doesn't have it and I miss it dearly.

SIMid
12-14-2011, 06:46 AM
Just pick something with good bluetooth, had it in my good stereo till I melted it - the older one doesn't have it and I miss it dearly.

Bluetooth for sure, def need a usb connection as well. No need to burn CDs!

TTait
03-28-2012, 12:22 AM
Okay, ordered my new Parrot Asteroid. I'd like to customize it by putting the round A/T badge on the select button - can anyone tell me the diameter on the DMC medalion that goes on the AT shifter (part #111103).

aludden
03-28-2012, 12:29 AM
Okay, ordered my new Parrot Asteroid. I'd like to customize it by putting the round A/T badge on the select button - can anyone tell me the diameter on the DMC medalion that goes on the AT shifter (part #111103).

This is the diameter of the one DMOCO sells:
"The diameter of the Emblem we sell is 30.32mm."
http://www.dmoco.com/products.html
I got one for my aftermarket steering wheel.

TTait
03-28-2012, 12:50 AM
This is the diameter of the one DMOCO sells:
"The diameter of the Emblem we sell is 30.32mm."
http://www.dmoco.com/products.html
I got one for my aftermarket steering wheel.

Hmmm that's close... I have estimated the size of the button by scaling the image of the stereo in photoshop and I think the button is 1.2 inches... The DMOCO is 1.19 inches

I'm going to be 20 minutes from DMCCA in the early AM tomorrow - wonder if theirs is larger or smaller?

Thanks for the quick reply there...

T

sadeeky
03-28-2012, 03:21 AM
I love it!! Does it come with a mic for the phone? The problem is if it doesn't its very hard for the person on the other line to hear you on the units internal mic with all the engine noise. I myself went with the Pioneer DEH-6400BT. It comes with an external mic and the other side can hear very clear because it has noise/echo canceling mic. I mounted it right under the binnacle or you can clip it on the sun visor.

TTait
03-28-2012, 08:39 AM
it does and it sounds like it's a very good quality microphone. multiple reviewers have commented on both excellent call quality and the voice recognition.

sadeeky
03-28-2012, 09:01 AM
SWEET!! I might have to upgrade.

dvonk
03-28-2012, 02:09 PM
the more i look at this unit, the more i like it... im interested in seeing some photos of it installed in a DeLorean! :hihi2:

Spittybug
03-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Judging from the volumes of negative comments on the head unit (Amazon), it looks as if rushing out to buy this may be a bit premature. Wait a bit and see if they resolve the many bugs people are discovering. JMHO.

TTait
03-31-2012, 02:57 AM
Judging from the volumes of negative comments on the head unit (Amazon), it looks as if rushing out to buy this may be a bit premature. Wait a bit and see if they resolve the many bugs people are discovering. JMHO.

I can return it if it sucks, but I understand the source of a number of the complaints, and do not anticipate they will affect me. I'm pretty sure I can use my phone for 3G connectivity, and an update has just come out that should address most of the other complaints, including simplified tethering to most phones.

A number of other people have had good experiences, and I have played with the unit in a retail store.

and... I can return it if it sucks.

I'll try it out and let you guys know.

TTait
04-04-2012, 01:29 AM
The unit arrived today, and I have it rough installed (wired in, but sitting on the center console).

All in all it seems like a nice unit. Most of the aforementioned problems people were griping about on amazon were related to not being able to tether the unit to their phone (that is - share the data connection from their smart phone with the stereo so that it can use its internet apps). Admittedly, it wasn't all that straightforward - it took me about half an hour to work out what the right settings were, and I had to figure it out myself as the documentation was not there...

At the moment I'm using the latest software release which has been sent out for the UK, so the synthesized voice is British, and the podcasts etc. are favoring BBC and stuff like that, but I can live with that - a US release is probably coming out eventually.

So... It works. The maps app was able to get a GPS signal quickly inside my garage. Its a local map only, not turn by turn, but I actually use the map the same way in my prius... I have my GPS in my phone doing the turn by turn, but the map on the dash is nice for making a quick decision to stay on or get off if traffic starts to get bad.

The radio tuner seems fine. Media player works smoothly so far, podcasts are fun, and the bluetooth seems excellent. Have not played with the other apps yet, as I have to be up well before the crack of dawn - so thats it for now. More info and photos coming, but the install won't be complete till I put a DMC logo on the center dial (I do know the DMOCO one will fit - just want to find out if OEM will backlight before I buy one.

Thanks for the concern spittybug, but so far so good.

Tom

BYW - I figured out the settings for tethering an android phone on sprint... other carriers will be similar.

TTait
04-10-2012, 11:46 PM
It has a learning curve, but it seems to work well. Voice recognition, call quality, and audio playback are all top notch.

The (round black) gps antenna is in the upper left corner of the windshield, with the dual microphones nearby as well...

I think it looks pretty good...

The DMOCO SS medalion fits great in the center knob - and I expect the oem plastic one my work there as well and may work as a rear illuminated option as well.

qwerk
04-11-2012, 01:17 PM
Looks awesome! I never liked to look of most modern aftermarket stereos in the DeLorean, since they all seem to look out of place. The "simple" styling of this stereo really works well with the rest of the D, though.

qwerk
04-11-2012, 01:22 PM
Also, I think someone mentioned this, but here is a similar unit from Alpine that it maybe worth checking out...

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/ida-x305s/

TTait
04-12-2012, 01:39 AM
also nice...

I would guess that the alpine is more refined in its interface as they have more experience building stereos, It looks like the Parrot is more bleeding edge and has some more features now, and maybe more apps in the future.

If you love iphone - polish, function and simplicity - I'd lean toward the alpine.If your an android kind of person - you like cutting edge, customization and tweaking, look closer at the parrot?

TTait
12-28-2012, 09:17 PM
He's dead Jim...

I gave the parrot a good run, but its died over the past couple weeks, feature by feature, one at a time.

At this point it glitches and resets, makes loud pops, intermittantly fails to read usb and SD card, the clock jumps ahead, and the bluetooth no longer connects.

Primary support is via the parrot website, but they don't respond there - you have to get them on the phone to get anything done. After a number of discussions, it sounds like they are still trying to update and fix the platform, but they offered me a refund, so I'm taking it and cutting my losses. The unit looked great, and the bluetooth used to work really well, but enough is enough.

Next up is the Kenwood BT952HD...

ramblinmike
12-28-2012, 10:20 PM
He's dead Jim...

I gave the parrot a good run, but its died over the past couple weeks, feature by feature, one at a time.

At this point it glitches and resets, makes loud pops, intermittantly fails to read usb and SD card, the clock jumps ahead, and the bluetooth no longer connects.

Primary support is via the parrot website, but they don't respond there - you have to get them on the phone to get anything done. After a number of discussions, it sounds like they are still trying to update and fix the platform, but they offered me a refund, so I'm taking it and cutting my losses. The unit looked great, and the bluetooth used to work really well, but enough is enough.

Next up is the Kenwood BT952HD...

That's actually quite disappointing. I've followed this thread since you first started it. I really liked the idea behind the Asteroid. It's a shame they couldn't get it together.

TTait
12-30-2012, 01:35 PM
They say they are still working on it...

thirdmanj
01-01-2013, 06:20 PM
They say they are still working on it...

Must be a DMCH subsidiary.... :p