PDA

View Full Version : General steering-shaft universal joint Q

DeLorean
06-01-2011, 10:10 PM
I did the steering shaft bushing not too long ago (it was broken to bits) and that fixed up the loose steering column feeling, however I do still have what I would consider to be tighter than normal steering. I think 1 of the universal joints in the steering shaft may be binding a bit and not turning freely.

Is this a typical DeLorean issue? recommendations? Should I try shooting the joint with some PB-blaster, take it out and dip it in motor oil, or just replace?

82DMC12
06-01-2011, 10:57 PM
Toby used to (?) have an awesome steering shaft and U-joint replacement part. I have it and it really changed the whole steering feel. Give him a call and see if he still makes them.

Andy

Chris 16409
06-01-2011, 11:00 PM
Here it is:

http://www.delorean-parts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DPNW&Product_Code=K1026DP&Category_Code=521

This is something I'd like to get one day too.

Dangermouse
06-01-2011, 11:22 PM
It is also possible that the rack itself needs lubed. Where the steering column meets the rack there is a plate that can be removed for the adding of gear oil. If the rack was dry I would imagine it would feel tight.

DeLorean
06-01-2011, 11:31 PM
Aah, thanks. That is actually a fairly reasonable price, If shooting it with PB blaster and spinning it around a few hundred times does not free her up, I will replace it with that.

DMCMW Dave
06-01-2011, 11:33 PM
DMC Dealers are now carrying Toby's steering assembly too.

http://www.delorean.com/store/p-10502-steering-u-joint-assy-stainless.aspx

DeLorean
06-01-2011, 11:33 PM
It is also possible that the rack itself needs lubed. Where the steering column meets the rack there is a plate that can be removed for the adding of gear oil. If the rack was dry I would imagine it would feel tight.

I will check this as well!

DMCMW Dave
06-01-2011, 11:34 PM
Aah, thanks. That is actually a fairly reasonable price, If shooting it with PB blaster and spinning it around a few hundred times does not free her up, I will replace it with that.

I've that work for a while - worth a try. It's a sealed unit, and if it's stiff that means that it has become un-sealed. That means you can get oil in to it, but it also means the oil runs out and water gets in.

82DMC12
06-02-2011, 10:24 AM
Back in the day, word was you could revive the U-joints by soaking them in hot light-weight gear oil, like on a stove. I tried it and it worked a little but it then I found I had too much slop. That's when I switched to Toby's steering parts.

David T
06-02-2011, 11:06 AM
If you use PB Blaster or some other cleaner type liquid you MUST follow up with some kind of lubricant. It doesn't seem too common for the joints to get tight, more common for them to get too loose. The thing to do is to remove them both and play with it out of the car. The joints are sealed so it will be difficult to get anything into them. Make sure the A/C hose does NOT interfere with the steering shaft. It must be securely fastened to the frame where it passes close to the steering shaft and U joints.
David Teitelbaum

Chris 16409
06-02-2011, 01:38 PM
I noticed my steering column was a bit loose so I decoded to get a new bushing. Unlike most of you who find a disintegrated bushing, I found some kind of brass metal one. Has anyone heard of these? Danny at DMC-CA said it was a popular upgrade in the past. Aperantly, it was filled and sealed with some kind of oil and was supposed to "last forever". Well the oil has aperantly leaked out and the column has some up and down play. It doesn't move side to side though. I'm not sure how to remove it so I can put a new bushing in. Does anybody have any experience with these metal steering column bushings?