PDA

View Full Version : General Non-stock seats?

aludden
12-10-2011, 01:42 PM
I searched the forum but didn't find much...

It may be heresy, but is it difficult to change/adapt aftermarket seats?
Have you done it? Do you have pictures?
Frankly, I find my seats quite uncomfortable, and since I need new covers anyway, I thought...

Thanks!
Alex

Ryan King
12-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Hey Alex!

I had aftermarket seats in my car for awhile. I found a set of Porsche 944 seats at my local junk yard for 60 bucks for the pair. I was able to build brackets for them fairly easily and had them in my car for quite a long time before removing them. Ill attach a photo for you.

micmak
12-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Hi Alex,
A couple of years ago, I changed my seats. I never liked the leather seats as they make me sweat in the Summer! I was going to get them recovered in cloth. While shopping around for someone to recover the seats, I found recaro knock offs for sale. I bought them and installed them in the car. I had to make two rails which went from side to side (as opposed to from front to back) because the rails on the seats were slightly closer than the original DeLorean seats rails. It was a minor fabrication project and it took no more than an hour or so to do. The seats were nice but I had a bit of trouble operating the parking brake because of the bolster on the seat. Also the seats were a tiny bit higher than stock seats, and as we all know the headroom in a DeLorean is already tight enough as it is without losing some of it to a higher seat. Also the bolster was a bit of a nuisance because of the way you get into a DeLorean. They were kinda in the way – you had to climb over them to get in. I had the seats in the car for most of that Summer, and finally I decided that I was tired of the reduced headspace, and the parking brake was wearing into the fabric of the bolster on the seat, so I decided to switch back to the stock seats again. I am still looking for someone to recover the stock seats in a cloth fabric, but I am not having too much success. Attached are a couple of pics, one of a seat beside an original seat so you can get an idea of how they compared, and the other one is the seat in the passenger side of the car.

......Mike.......

protodelorean
12-10-2011, 03:39 PM
I've got Corbeau CR-1's in my car and have the same comments as Mike. They sit a bit higher and the side bolsters do affect entry and exit. I'm willing to live with the entry/exit in favor of the increased support, but I do plan on disassembling the seats to reduce the thickness of the seat cushion. (to get the headroom back)

robvanderveer
12-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Even though it really is not standard, i kinda like the looks of those seats. Not on my car, i want to keep that standard to be honest.

aludden
12-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Wow! Thank you all for your info. All good points I hadn't thought about.
I guess I would have to find a place where I can sit on them first to make sure I find them comfortable, and measure height, and look at the bolsters to see if they would cause problems. Thanks!
Alex

sean
12-11-2011, 02:05 PM
Hey Alex!

I had aftermarket seats in my car for awhile. I found a set of Porsche 944 seats at my local junk yard for 60 bucks for the pair. I was able to build brackets for them fairly easily and had them in my car for quite a long time before removing them. Ill attach a photo for you.

I think DMCFL Tony was tinkering with the Porsche seats in a D a while back too.

thirdmanj
12-12-2011, 03:31 AM
....Every time I see this threads title I think it says "Non-Stick Seats" :hysterical:

TTait
12-13-2011, 11:40 PM
Hi Alex,
I am still looking for someone to recover the stock seats in a cloth fabric, but I am not having too much success.
......Mike.......

Call Hervey, the guy who makes the leather seatcovers for him would likely make you a set in fabric. His are not pleated but still have an oem-ish look - just what you would want I'd think...

Putting them on would be pretty easy - he may even be able put in grommets around the perimeters so you can lace them up - which I think would be feasible for cloth.

If you don't do hog rings, you can likely swap the covers yourself easily in a few hours, about half the time of leather.

qwerk
12-20-2011, 12:46 AM
"Non-Stick Seats" :hysterical:

It's an important feature, really.

john 05141
12-20-2011, 03:05 AM
I like these a lot!
The color also.

john

Andy
12-20-2011, 08:18 AM
I like these a lot!
The color also.

john

That's VIN#02465, the prototype with the saddle interior that's displayed at the Giugiaro Italdesign Museum in Turin, Italy.

I like the color, although the seat look a little too 'American' for me ...

dmcjohn
12-20-2011, 09:15 AM
Custom seats in my DeLorean from a Renault Alpine :)

I'll get them recovered in leather eventually - possibly brown leather.

Cory W
12-20-2011, 09:27 AM
Custom seats in my DeLorean from a Renault Alpine :)

I'll get them recovered in leather eventually - possibly brown leather.

John, your car is a unique situation, but the seats work very well in it.

I want a four-seater DeLorean.....I could carry both kids with me that way.

EDIT: I added some pics of a seat I reskinned on the weekend. This is the first seat recover I've ever done, for the other car up here. Did it as practice for my own seats in the spring, and I'm relatively satisfied with the result :) It also softens up the original seats, with their now shrunken, tightly stretched leather and vinyl.

stevedmc
12-20-2011, 11:40 AM
Call Hervey, the guy who makes the leather seatcovers for him would likely make you a set in fabric. His are not pleated but still have an oem-ish look - just what you would want I'd think...

I saw cloth seats in Bill Burden's car back in the late 90s. It was beautiful and I think he had a local shop do everything for him for about $800.

I had my seats recovered by Hervey about a year ago, and while they are nice, if I ever recover my seats again, I'm going to do cloth. Leather is nice but its just too much work to keep clean for my taste.

sadeeky
04-12-2012, 04:10 AM
Hey Alex!

WOW!! that is a nice audio system in the back. Do tell what do you have back there and how much did everything cost? those big as speakers is that over powering ( too Loud)?

nofear365
04-17-2012, 08:07 AM
I like these a lot!
The color also.

john

What car did those seats come out of? They remind me of the seats out of a Maserati BiTurbo.