PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready to go ignition control

opethmike
12-10-2011, 11:49 PM
Here's my game plan for going to ignition control. Please let me know if anything is missing or wrong.

Clean up distributor (body of it is rather grimy) and mark relation to head
Mark rotor relation to head
Remove distributor and send out to have advance weights tacked down
Remove intake manifold
Remove vacuum lines from thermal vacuum switch and cap them
Re-install intake manifold
Cap off port that fed thermal vacuum switch
Remove vacuum advance solenoid
Re-install distributor
Wire ignition output port on relay board to white/slate wire
Wire ignition input port on relay board to wire coming from distributor
Remove ignition ECU
Relocate MS ECU to where ignition ECU was
Setup ignition parameters in Tuner Studio

Bitsyncmaster
12-11-2011, 04:16 AM
You may want to just tack the weights down with a screw or rivit. If you weld them remove the springs and save them.

You can also just cap the vacuum lines you don't need without pulling the intake. Later if it all works, you can also remove the wiring down there you don't need.

Spittybug
12-11-2011, 10:55 AM
I'm assuming this means you confirmed that your board has the necessary components on it (since you bought it pre-built)? If so, make sure that you are jumpered correctly for VR input, not Hall. This is step 52 of the assembly instruction guide titled "Assembling your Megasquirt V3.0 Main board". You don't have the surface mount board do you? Your components are on a breadboard and soldered, right? Basically;

Jumper VRIN to TACHSELECT
Jumper TSEL to VROUT
Make sure the trim pots are rotated per the instructions

Using a sharpie I wrote those jumper instructions inside the MSII case so that I wouldn't forget what I did. Also, take pictures of your dizzy at all stages. Which way is the rotor facing, what clip goes where, in which order, etc... Digital cameras are the best friend in the world for this stuff. Be careful with the circlips that hold the dizzy pieces on the shaft. They are fairly delicate and easy to bend. You may want to try wrapping wire (like picture hanging wire) around the advance mechanism before getting it tacked...just a thought. Keep the VR wire from the dizzy to the MSII unit as isolated as possible to prevent it picking up noise.

You've got my .msq file to see any of the settings you need and the advance table itself is pretty good that I posted.

Welcome to the digital age. Next stop, no distributor, just crank & cam sensors along with coils on plugs. Talk about a clean setup!
:cheers:

opethmike
12-11-2011, 10:17 PM
I have the 3.57 board, which I believe is surface mount. It comes configured for hall sensor/fuel only/optical sensor.

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/megasquirtii-ems-system-smd-pcb357-assembled-ecu-p-171.html

opethmike
12-11-2011, 10:18 PM
You may want to just tack the weights down with a screw or rivit. If you weld them remove the springs and save them.

You can also just cap the vacuum lines you don't need without pulling the intake. Later if it all works, you can also remove the wiring down there you don't need.

The only wiring under the intake that I can think of is for idle control, isn't it? What timing related wiring is there?

Bitsyncmaster
12-12-2011, 04:52 AM
The only wiring under the intake that I can think of is for idle control, isn't it? What timing related wiring is there?

The thermostat that connects to the WOT switch can be removed.

Spittybug
12-12-2011, 09:55 AM
I have the 3.57 board, which I believe is surface mount. It comes configured for hall sensor/fuel only/optical sensor.

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/megasquirtii-ems-system-smd-pcb357-assembled-ecu-p-171.html

Per your link: "Hall Sensor/Coil(-) and VR Sensor Ignition Trigger Components (jumpered for Hall sensor, optical sensor, points, or fuel only using negative coil input- you can reconfigure for any input you like)" -- I don't know if your jumpering will be the same as what I described above, but the DIY guys can certainly help you if you don't have the right instructions.

opethmike
12-12-2011, 11:36 AM
It'll be easy enough for me to check the jumpers, I know quite well where they are, after checking them during my first EFI conversion attempt.

Do the rest of my steps from my first post look good to you?