PDA

View Full Version : General Anyone in here run heated seats? dummy switches converted to heated seats?

DeloreanJoshQ
12-11-2011, 10:50 AM
Anyone in here run heated seats?
How about using the dummy switches for the converted to heated seats?

Next year I plan to drive my car longer into the winter season.....

I was thinking of adding these:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Warmseats/936/WSH/10002/-1

...and then using blank defroster switches to heat the seats but come up with a graphic to label them. How would you apply the graphic so it stays on?

Any other thoughts?

Just curious....

Michael
12-11-2011, 10:55 AM
A couple of defroster switches would work well there, and look factory. You may want to get a timer as well if the heated inserts do not have a auto shut off.

DeloreanJoshQ
12-11-2011, 10:58 AM
I believe they are designed to keep warm as long as you have the switch on, so if you only wanted them on for a certain period of time you would need a timer. Otherwise when your butt got too warm you would need to turn them off.....

robvanderveer
12-11-2011, 10:58 AM
And what about connecting the heated seats together with the rear window heater? Saves a switch and a timer.

DeloreanJoshQ
12-11-2011, 10:59 AM
well, if you use a relay for the seat heaters, that would be acceptable, correct?

dmc6960
12-11-2011, 01:11 PM
I am in the planning process for making my seats both heated and cooled. A couple thoughts for just heated seats...

Those heaters have two levels. The supplied rocker switch has two positions for high and low. If you directly wired in a defrost switch you would have to choose which one to use. Although it wouldn't look quite as stock, alternatively you could drill a hole in the existing dummy switches and use the supplied switch.

I'm also not sure about the durability or trimability of those, but the size will slightly exceed the width of the seat's center section. They will fold over around those edges and may cause rapid wear. I remember someone else mentioning on .com that was an issue for them.

Best of luck with the project.

DeloreanJoshQ
12-12-2011, 06:57 PM
I am in the planning process for making my seats both heated and cooled. A couple thoughts for just heated seats...

Those heaters have two levels. The supplied rocker switch has two positions for high and low. If you directly wired in a defrost switch you would have to choose which one to use. Although it wouldn't look quite as stock, alternatively you could drill a hole in the existing dummy switches and use the supplied switch.

I'm also not sure about the durability or trimability of those, but the size will slightly exceed the width of the seat's center section. They will fold over around those edges and may cause rapid wear. I remember someone else mentioning on .com that was an issue for them.

Best of luck with the project.

I opened one of the packages today and measured one. They are 11 1/2" in width and 20 11/16" long. Were you referring to these measurements? They did not to be very wide.
Also, they are not trimable.

jangell
12-17-2011, 12:46 PM
I installed heated seats a few years ago. I wrote up the installation process, along with some of the mistakes I made, on my tech wiki:

http://deloreantech.wikia.com/wiki/Heated_Seats

I think I used similar seats to yours, with a three-position switch, so the installation should be similar.

-- Joe