PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Seatbelt warning light/buzzer

jawn101
12-11-2011, 08:03 PM
I looked around but can't seem to find what the 'correct' function of this light/buzzer should be. As it stands, when I have the key in and the door open, the door ajar light is on and the buzzer sounds. When I close the door, the buzzer stops and the light goes out. When I start the car, the seatbelt warning light illuminates briefly, with no buzzer, and then goes out. Buckling/unbuckling the seatbelt has no effect at any point - the light doesn't come on, nor does the buzzer. I assume the switch inside my anchor has gone bad, but to troubleshoot further I need to know what I should be seeing :)

Ron
12-11-2011, 08:26 PM
I thought this was posted already.... Page 8

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?2514-Delorean-Owner-s-Handbook-Manual&p=33717#post33717

jawn101
12-11-2011, 08:31 PM
I thought this was posted already.... Page 8

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?2514-Delorean-Owner-s-Handbook-Manual&p=33717#post33717

I was curious if it should illuminate or alert again if the belt is undone after the car is in motion, etc. I also don't seem to have wiring for the passenger side anchor, but the manual seems to think I should. That's why I was wondering if the real world was different than what's in the book.

WelmoedJ
12-15-2011, 09:53 AM
I was curious if it should illuminate or alert again if the belt is undone after the car is in motion, etc. I also don't seem to have wiring for the passenger side anchor, but the manual seems to think I should. That's why I was wondering if the real world was different than what's in the book.

Never have seen a D with a connection for "belt warning" as is for the driver's side.
Dave (Bitsyncmaster) has opened his buzzer to study its functioning.
Perhaps you would contact (PM) him to find out which function besides the awful door open/key in lock signal also triggers the buzzer audio.
I have tested my buzzer before I swapped it for a chimer and if I recall correctly I never heard a warning sound for the seat belt.

On most modern car's the seat belt warning is only for a short period of time.
The chimer I mentioned now also warns if the lights are ON and the IGN key is taken out of the lock. The seat belt warning only sounds five times with the chimer.
However the dash warning light for the seat belt can't be used this way (our car has a different power layout for this light) and need a change in the circuit to achieve that.

Farrar
12-16-2011, 11:44 AM
Even with the seatbelt anchor's power leads disconnected, the warning light will illuminate for a few seconds after the engine is started. (Mine has been disconnected for a while.)

There is no stock wiring for the passenger's seat belt anchor.

Farrar

jawn101
12-16-2011, 02:01 PM
Even with the seatbelt anchor's power leads disconnected, the warning light will illuminate for a few seconds after the engine is started. (Mine has been disconnected for a while.)

There is no stock wiring for the passenger's seat belt anchor.

Farrar

OK, that's what I thought. I suspect that the switch in my anchor may be bad.

Welmoed, I followed you and Dave's thread on the buzzer with great interest, which is why I want to make sure my system is working properly - then embark on a replacement of the buzzer with something more modern.

I will look behind the carpet to see if I can fish out the connector to the driver's side anchor and jumper it to test the rest of the system.

Thanks!

gulwng3
01-26-2014, 08:21 PM
I see what Jon is getting at. It seems that whether or not you have your seat belt connected, the buzzer will still buzz and the seat belt warning light will still come on, then go off.

I'll ask the question a different way: What is the wiring going to the driver's side seat belt anchor for?

Andy

jawn101
01-26-2014, 08:24 PM
I see what Jon is getting at. It seems that whether or not you have your seat belt connected, the buzzer will still buzz and the seat belt warning light will still come on, then go off.

I'll ask the question a different way: What is the wiring going to the driver's side seat belt anchor for?

Andy

Right on. I forgot about this thread but it does still bug me in the back of my mind. Seems like if you unhook your driver's side belt, the light should come on. But it doesn't seem to have any impact. What is that connector even for? Or maybe mine and Andy's are both broken?

DeLorean03
01-26-2014, 08:29 PM
Mine does the same thing. It was probably a "soon to be but never incorporated" feature of the car.

I'm so glad it doesn't nag you to put your seatbelt on. Today's car that do that junk drive me flipping nuts.

Rich
01-26-2014, 08:49 PM
Reference information, for those who have not already disconnected the seat belt warning module and care about the factory said it was supposed to do, directly from the DeLorean Owner's Handbook, p. 8:

INERTIA SEAT BELTS – Fig. 8
Warning System
The seat belt warning light Fig. 8 will glow
when the ignition is switched on and either
seat is occupied with the seat belt
unfastened, a warning buzzer will also
activate for approximately ten seconds.

gulwng3
01-26-2014, 10:46 PM
Reference information, for those who have not already disconnected the seat belt warning module and care about the factory said it was supposed to do, directly from the DeLorean Owner's Handbook, p. 8:

INERTIA SEAT BELTS – Fig. 8
Warning System
The seat belt warning light Fig. 8 will glow
when the ignition is switched on and either
seat is occupied with the seat belt
unfastened, a warning buzzer will also
activate for approximately ten seconds.

Yah, I read that in my owner's manual, but not sure it is correct.

1) The seat belt warning light only comes on a few seconds after the car is started, not when the ignition is turned to the on position.
2) Not sure why it makes a difference if the passenger seat is occupied since there are no wires in the passenger seat belt connector.
3) The seat belt warning light will glow whether the driver's seat belt is fastened or unfastened (at least that's what some of us are experiencing).

Andy

WelmoedJ
01-27-2014, 04:00 AM
Yah, I read that in my owner's manual, but not sure it is correct.

1) The seat belt warning light only comes on a few seconds after the car is started, not when the ignition is turned to the on position.
2) Not sure why it makes a difference if the passenger seat is occupied since there are no wires in the passenger seat belt connector.
3) The seat belt warning light will glow whether the driver's seat belt is fastened or unfastened (at least that's what some of us are experiencing).

Andy

IMO the info in the Owner's Manual is incorrect, at least regarding the passenger seat.
The "seat belt warning system" also doesn't detect occupation of either seat (no detection device in the seats themselves).

As far as I have learned and found the buzzer and seatbelt light only have two functions (for the subject):
- detect an open door and sound off: if the ignition key is in the lock AND/OR the engine is running.
- detect an unused seat belt and show light and sound of for a short period of time: if the ignition key is in the lock AND the engine is running.

Should your buzzer not function in such cases or sound off all the time, check the wiring to the appropriate buzzer pins.
There may be a switch in the wiring to the door ajar and door light causing this behavior.

FYI: I found that, although my wiring has been setup correctly, the buzzer replacment (chimer) also sounds with the door closed).
That behaviour is because of the difference in intended operation of the buzzer vs the chimer.
I have combined the wiring from door ajar switch and seat belt switch, this making both work if either is not grounded.

P.S.: Perhaps the information in the OM has been correct for the first batch of cars.
Later or before the first cars, it may have become obsolete due to time and lack of money.
Then the factory no longer installed the passenger seat warning switch and forgot about the information in the OM?

dmcnorway
01-27-2014, 12:55 PM
Is there a "plug-and-play" modern buzzer available? The original has a terrible sound...

Stian Birkeland
Norway

WelmoedJ
01-27-2014, 01:26 PM
Is there a "plug-and-play" modern buzzer available? The original has a terrible sound...

Stian Birkeland
Norway

No, there's not a plug and play replacement.
However I've used a GM chimer module used in a Pontiac TransSport (model 95).
For that chimer I written a How To.

Some other owners have used GM chimers of another of their brands and models.
Finding a US GM car in a junkyard shouldnt be too difficult and the price probably is modest.

There's only a slight difference in the connections.
Check the GM pdf and compare with the setup of the buzzer signals.
It may help you see the difference.

DrJeff
01-27-2014, 02:38 PM
Some other owners have used GM chimers of another of their brands and models.

I did the GM mod and really like it. The only challenge was getting the seat belt light and buzzer to work correctly. I used Welmoed's for 90% of the how to.

WelmoedJ
01-27-2014, 03:20 PM
I did the GM mod and really like it. The only challenge was getting the seat belt light and buzzer to work correctly. I used Welmoed's for 90% of the how to.

Use the info on the GM diagram.
The Delorean door ajar switch is between buzzer and ground on the ignition key (with NO key inserted).
So two switches in one circuit, also being powered at the door ajar light or the light's lead is interally routed to the switches?
(I have never looked inside the buzzer, so I'm not sure).

The DeLorean seat belt warning consists of two circuits with their own pins.
1. Power goes to the light, then to the buzzer and most likely to ground
2. The power from the seat belt light supposedly is routed internally in the buzzer to the seat's switch (two pins used).

GM's seat belt and door ajar lights are powered by the chimer module.
Both signals only run to ground through the lights.
Compare both car diagrams.

Dave M. may have gone into the inner of the buzzer and may be able to explain the functionality much better than I can.
I may be wrong in some assumptions, so don't take this info for granted.

Bitsyncmaster
01-27-2014, 04:00 PM
I was going to build a device that has prerecorded messages but that project got sidelined. I never got to the point of working the door logic. I did pull the original unit apart but that had a very basic buzzer with some transistor, resistor logic inside. I just left it not installed.

DrJeff
01-27-2014, 08:14 PM
GM's seat belt and door ajar lights are powered by the chimer module.
Both signals only run to ground through the lights.
Compare both car diagrams..

I rewired the seat belt light specifically so that it could be driven by the GM chimer module. I also implemented the chimer warning for the headlights being left on with the ignition off. That has saved my battery a few times. I don't mind the chiming because the sound is much more pleasant the the stock unit.

novadmc
10-06-2014, 07:01 PM
I've had a similar issue with my buzzer as of late. now i have an issue where my buzzer starts going off when the driver door is shut. buzzer stops when the door opens. this has been happening over the past few days whether the keys are in the ignition or not. or whether the car is running or not.

i took the buzzer out and cleaned the contacts (both on the harness and on the buzzer) and it seemed to be fixed. today while getting something out of the passenger side of the car, when i shut the passenger door, the buzzer started going off again.

at this point I'm assuming the buzzer's internals are just starting to fail. i do plan to replace it, but my question is, is there anything detrimental to simply leaving the buzzer unplugged? I'd assume not but figured i would check with more knowledgeable minds.

thanks!

Bitsyncmaster
10-06-2014, 07:48 PM
Mine has been removed for a long time and nothing bad has become of it.