Edit by Sean:
A more accurate version of the manual can be seen here:
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?2755-DeLorean-Owner-s-Handbook-Manual

Chris Burns
12-11-2011, 10:40 PM
Thanks for posting!:popcorn:

DMCH James
12-23-2011, 11:29 AM

My first project creating a PDF back in 1995 - good times, good times...

James

Ron
12-23-2011, 01:01 PM
My first project creating a PDF back in 1995 - good times, good times...

JamesGood Job too!!!
THX!

ccurzio
12-23-2011, 07:07 PM
I wouldn't rely on this for anything other than casual glances. The text is completely cut off at the end of page 22. No idea how many other pages have the same problem.

DMCH James
12-29-2011, 11:56 AM
I wouldn't rely on this for anything other than casual glances. The text is completely cut off at the end of page 22. No idea how many other pages have the same problem.

A little background - in 1995 or so when I created this (the PDF's file creation date is 8/28/1995), I used an 82/owners handbook because at the time I had an 82, I didn't even know there was a different one for 1981 cars. In hindsight, this worked out better as the line art illustrations in the 82/83 book were easier to reproduce than the halftone photographs would have been at the time (with grayscale scanners and Photoshop still in their infancy).

I worked in the electronic prepress department of a printing company in Phoenix, and in my free time re-created the handbook using Quark Xpress and then made a PDF of the Quark document. Later, I created some negative film and then positive paper images of the files - I still have these and they are dated October 27, 1997. We used these films as the "masters" for the owners handbooks we have printed here at DMC - all of which have complete text on page 22.

I posted the PDF on the dmcnews.com site back then (when I ran the DML) as a password protected file, offering the password to unlock/print the file for $15 as a way to offset the then much larger costs of running the DML (remember when domain registration was $75 a year?). After coming to work for DMC (Texas), I passed control of all this to Dave Swingle and at some point in 1999 (?) a revised version without the password protection was uploaded to the DMCNews site. Further inspection of the file posted earlier in this thread shows a modification date of 4/15/2008.

After reading "Accipter's" message, I pulled out these files and confirm that the text was all there when I created/uploaded the original file "back in the day".

James

stevedmc
12-31-2011, 12:14 AM
James might be shocked to hear me say this, but for just a few dollars you can get a nice reproduction copy of the handbook from DMCH. I forget the exact cost but I got my reproduction handbook and sleeve for about $20 from DMCMW.

Although it didn't cost much and isn't a fancy item, I do enjoy the thing. The sleeve is nice for holding the handbook and my insurance/registration cards. And the handbook really does look great.

Edit: It looks like I was slightly wrong. Its $15 for just the manual or $25 for the manual with the pouch. Its still a great deal in my opinion.
http://store.delorean.com/p-9198-reproduction-valet.aspx

Michael
12-31-2011, 08:56 AM
I have seen pics of an original manual and if given the chance to pick one up for a reasonable price I would love to have one. The reproductions that DMC makes are very nice and will fool the casual observer, but the originals are much thicker with full color pictures, not to mention spiral bound.

I'm sure DMC looked at the cost of making a 100% reproduction and decided to go with a stripped down version to make them more affordable. Every original manual I see is 100.00 and up. I think my max would be in the 65-75 range.

stevedmc
12-31-2011, 02:48 PM
The reproductions that DMC makes are very nice and will fool the casual observer, but the originals are much thicker with full color pictures, not to mention spiral bound.

Yeah but for $15 I think DMCH did an excellent job.

DMCH James
01-02-2012, 09:04 AM
I have seen pics of an original manual and if given the chance to pick one up for a reasonable price I would love to have one. The reproductions that DMC makes are very nice and will fool the casual observer, but the originals are much thicker with full color pictures, not to mention spiral bound.

I'm sure DMC looked at the cost of making a 100% reproduction and decided to go with a stripped down version to make them more affordable. Every original manual I see is 100.00 and up. I think my max would be in the 65-75 range.

The 1981 manuals have *ONE* color photo, the cutaway of the DeLorean car. The rest are all black and white photos. They are also spiral/coil bound along the top edge, with diecut tabs to break up the various sections. Coming from the printing industry, I can tell you that even back in 1981, this version was A LOT more expensive than the 1982 version that replaced it that is simply lineart drawings, a single extra color here and there and a "saddle stitch" (stapled center binding).

James

Notifier
01-02-2012, 09:45 PM
The 1981 manuals have *ONE* color photo, the cutaway of the DeLorean car.

This picture?

If people are willing to pay/sell a manual for $100+ I wonder what someone would give for a signed manual? Just did a quick search on ebay, someone's got a manual on there for $250!

In all honesty I wouldn't sell it separately, it would go with the car. After all, that's how I got it. I do keep a reproduction manual with the car and this one says in a safe place.

AdmiralSenn
01-02-2012, 10:00 PM
One of the biggest regrets I have in my DMC ownership thus far is the mistake of leaving the owner's manual on the dashboard by accident, allowing the paper to get stuck to the inside of the valet and ruining the back cover. I suppose when I run out of things to fix and have lots of vanity money I'll buy a new piece of original perforated owner's-manual-accurate paper or something.

dvonk
01-03-2012, 12:53 AM
This picture?

that is so badass. :headbang:

Iznodmad
01-03-2012, 12:34 PM
If people are willing to pay/sell a manual for $100+ I wonder what someone would give for a signed manual?

Great question, I have an original 81 manual signed by JZD, as well as his autobiography signed, and my glove box lid on #5000 (signed underneath in paint pen with the VIN #, not on top on the vinyl to fade out like all the others I have seen). Not that I want to sell any of those items, but the value (I suspect) is what someone would pay that I would accept. There can only be so many out there that are signed anyway (maybe 100 or less?).

Notifier
01-03-2012, 06:12 PM
Great question, I have an original 81 manual signed by JZD, as well as his autobiography signed, and my glove box lid on #5000 (signed underneath in paint pen with the VIN #, not on top on the vinyl to fade out like all the others I have seen). Not that I want to sell any of those items, but the value (I suspect) is what someone would pay that I would accept. There can only be so many out there that are signed anyway (maybe 100 or less?).

Anything that's part of the car (glove box lid, manual, whatever) that's been signed should say with the car. Different story if the vehicle is totaled.

I wouldn't even pay $100 for an original manual unless I was totally trying to go concourse or something, when you figure most of what's in the vehicle is intuitive. Plus the fact that a good reproduction is available for a modest cost. Now the workshop/parts/service manuals to me are worth the price because of the information they give.

I thought someone had their hood signed at one point? Or was I mistaken?

DMCH James
01-10-2012, 12:02 PM
I did locate my original 1995 files that re-created the Owner's Handbook over the weekend. Brought back lots of memories...

So as not to confuse the issue, how/where would the moderator(s) like me to upload the GOOD version of the PDF file?

James

Ron
01-10-2012, 12:06 PM
I did locate my original 1995 files that re-created the Owner's Handbook over the weekend. Brought back lots of memories...

So as not to confuse the issue, how/where would the moderator(s) like me to upload the GOOD version of the PDF file?

JamesI suggest the one I posted be overwritten.
THX James!

DMCH James
01-10-2012, 12:24 PM
I thought so, too, but don't want anyone else to come along later and read the succeeding posts and think it's still an incorrect version.

James

sean
01-10-2012, 12:39 PM

James

If you dont mind, please start a new thread and we will close this thread with a link to the updated book thread and remove the older version here.

DMCH James
01-10-2012, 05:28 PM
If you dont mind, please start a new thread and we will close this thread with a link to the updated book thread and remove the older version here.

Done.

sean
01-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Done.

Thanks! In case folks make it his far, the new version Jamse has created can be seen here:
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?2755-DeLorean-Owner-s-Handbook-Manual