PDA

View Full Version : Heat & A/C Mode switch

steve6864
12-14-2011, 01:06 PM
DMC doesn`t carry the Heater/AC mode switch,only a rebuild kit. Does anyone no if it shares compatibility with another model? The rebuid kit is out of stock temporarily.Anyone got one for sale?I`d like to have heat for a planned drive soon.Thanks,Steve.6864

Ryan King
12-14-2011, 01:07 PM
I got my mod-switch seal from Hervey at SpecialtAuto. I would suggest you go that route, I was very happy with my replacement.

Iznodmad
12-14-2011, 01:21 PM
Steve,
If you really need it to work soon and can't find/locate a proper rebuild then just smear the rubber diaphragm with some vaseline. That is sometimes all it takes and can work in a pinch until you can get the proper rebuild kit. I was once given this advice from a well know vendor and it got me by for a while.

thirdmanj
12-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Steve,
If you really need it to work soon and can't find/locate a proper rebuild then just smear the rubber diaphragm with some vaseline. That is sometimes all it takes and can work in a pinch until you can get the proper rebuild kit. I was once given this advice from a well know vendor and it got me by for a while.

I wouldn't recommend vaseline, it's petroleum based, and will degrade the rubber seals. May do more harm than good in the long run. I would recommend Krytox, or other such style lubricant that's designed for work in air systems

Delorean Industries
12-14-2011, 02:02 PM
DMC doesn`t carry the Heater/AC mode switch,only a rebuild kit. Does anyone no if it shares compatibility with another model? The rebuid kit is out of stock temporarily.Anyone got one for sale?I`d like to have heat for a planned drive soon.Thanks,Steve.6864

Steve,
Rebuild kits in stock ready to ship today. Here is a link to our site:
https://www.deloreanindustries.com/shop/catalogsearch/result/?q=mode+switch+kit

1batt4u
12-14-2011, 02:11 PM
I bought mine from DMCH, but the knob now is super stiff!! I almost need both my hands to turn the knob!

David T
12-14-2011, 04:38 PM
If you go to a pool supply store they sell a lubricant for rubber seals and "O" rings that is not supposed to degrade rubber. Don't go crazy with it, just a light smear is all you need. A big blob of it may plug up the small passages. Vasoline eventually hardens into stone so it is not great as a lubricant (except in certain special situations not related to machinery).
David Teitelbaum

tjd
12-15-2011, 09:40 AM
I bought mine from DMCH, but the knob now is super stiff!! I almost need both my hands to turn the knob!

Mine is the same way, are they all like this (alternative vendors kits)?

David T
12-15-2011, 09:53 AM
You do NOT want the mode switch to be stiff. There are plastic parts in it and you will break them. It should operate very smoothly with two fingers.
David Teitelbaum

1batt4u
12-15-2011, 01:09 PM
Mine is very very hard to turn. Even the white plastic part that came with the rubber piece does not fit in well, does not snap into place.

You guys recommend Liquid Wrench: Silicone Spray http://www.liquidwrench.com/products/#!/2 to use on the rubber piece??

Ryan King
11-24-2012, 04:55 PM
Mine is very very hard to turn. Even the white plastic part that came with the rubber piece does not fit in well, does not snap into place.

You guys recommend Liquid Wrench: Silicone Spray http://www.liquidwrench.com/products/#!/2 to use on the rubber piece??

Mine is stiff too. It doesn't click into the different settings. It's just very hard to turn. Does it need to be lubricated?

DMC5180
11-24-2012, 08:16 PM
Mine is stiff too. It doesn't click into the different settings. It's just very hard to turn. Does it need to be lubricated?

I wiped a little lithium grease on the disc prior to reassembly of my switch. It moves freely now. Prior too that, it was quite stiff to turn also.

Ryan King
11-24-2012, 08:33 PM
I wiped a little lithium grease on the disc prior to reassembly of my switch. It moves freely now. Prior too that, it was quite stiff to turn also.

Which disk are you referring to?

DMC5180
11-24-2012, 08:42 PM
Which disk are you referring to?

The rubber disc that bares against the vacuum ports surface.

Chris4099
11-25-2012, 04:57 PM
Mine was the same as well even after the PO said he rebuilt it shortly before the sale of the D. After nearly 9 years, I finally decided to rebuild it myself again when I had the dash apart for a new stereo install. In my case, I noted the PO put grease on the little ball and gear part that gives the knob it's "clicky" feel. Once I removed the grease, I could then feel it go between each setting much better. I also sprayed the rubber disk and metal surface with silicone spray which does really well for plastic and rubber parts. Now my mode switch turns easily and I can select a mode without easily passing it or getting it in the middle.

SS Spoiler
11-26-2012, 12:06 AM
20 years ago I took the mode switch apart at a Minnesota tech session and lubed it with vaseline. Been working fine ever since...

thirdmanj
11-26-2012, 06:18 AM
20 years ago I took the mode switch apart at a Minnesota tech session and lubed it with vaseline. Been working fine ever since...

I really hope "mode switch" isn't a euphemism in this case...