PDA

View Full Version : Melt your heart kittens we found

Michael
06-02-2011, 05:35 PM
My wife owns an office building that she rents out. Wednesday, she gets a call that there is a meowing coming from the closet, behind the drywall. There is no crawlspace, but last Friday, our contractor was doing some wall repairs and slight remodeling right in that part of the building. Again, he finished Friday. When her tenant came back in on Tuesday(closed memorial day), she heard the meowing, but didn't say anything about it until Wednesday. Anyway, she knocked out the drywall to get to them...two little newborn kittens. Normally there are more than 2 in a litter, but there was no sign of any more kittens or their mother. I theorize that these 2 became separated during the remodeling, and were sealed up in the drywall....for nearly 5 days!!!!!!! I can't believe they were still alive.

They were dehydrated, and hungry hungry hungry. They have teeth which puts them around the 2-3 week mark, but the black one only weighs 6oz. 5 days trapped in a wall, every time I think of that I am just astonished they made it. They are not out of the woods yet but we are hopeful that they will pull through.

I have them on KMR and a few supplements due to their young age. I will try to get them off the bottle next week. With all the bad news around here lately, I thought we could use a little miracle story. Here they are this afternoon eating

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fev6Uxs08P4

Farrar
06-03-2011, 12:47 PM
This is so awesome. Thanks for sharing! I certainly needed a lift.

Farrar

Michael
06-13-2011, 07:28 PM
Just a little update. Both kittens are doing very well, even the vet commented on how much better and healthy they both looked. They both have doubled their weight since we have had them, and they are still so tiny!

We found a home for the brown one, a friend at one of my accounts was looking for a kitten for his family, must have been fate that I happen to mention the kittens to him in passing. He jumped all over it and I am so happy to see him going to a good stable well to do family....but I would be lying if I said I wasn't going to miss him. Well I got him for 2 more weeks and he goes to his new home. I hate breaking them up because they play together a lot, but I think with a lot of interaction he will be fine.

The little black one just stole my heart. To be honest, I didn't think she was going to make it because she was so dehydrated, but she has a lot of spunk in her and is clearly my favorite of the 2. We are keeping her in case you haven't figured it out. She has a little bald spot over her eye where she had an injury. It was scabbed over when we found them but now it's healed.

I'm going to put together a little video in a few more weeks that chronicle their progress, so I'm shooting a lot of videos(and they are cute!)

Here are a few pics of them in their much better healthy state. Sorry about the blur, low light.

dvonk
06-14-2011, 12:00 AM
that last photo remind me of two of our cats: just add 10 years and 15 pounds to each of them, haha. theyre fatties.

DMCMW Julee
06-14-2011, 08:21 AM
I'm glad you are keeping the black kitten Michael! Dave and I adopted our cat, Boaz, from a shelter a few years back. The staff was happy to see him get a home because they said that it is more difficult to adopt out black cats because people tend to be superstitious about them. Go figure. Boaz is without a doubt the funniest and most unusual cat I've ever known!

Well done rescuing and caring for these cuties. :angel:

DCUK Martin
06-14-2011, 08:34 AM
While we're on the subject....

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1700616204148

dvonk
06-14-2011, 09:05 AM
...thats pretty much adorable. :)

Michael
11-13-2012, 07:38 AM
I had so much footage on my phone I was transferring to my computer last night and I decided to do a little music video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo05xUNPndM

thirdmanj
11-13-2012, 08:04 AM
I had so much footage on my phone I was transferring to my computer last night and I decided to do a little music video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo05xUNPndM

That was great Michael. But if you really want us to throw up, re edit it with some Sara Mclachlan!

Seriously though, glad you were able to get them back to health! Great thing you did.

Dangermouse
11-13-2012, 08:19 AM
That was great Michael. But if you really want us throw up, re edit it with some Sara Mclachlan!

I was thinking the exact same thing but I couldn't remember the singers name :)

stevedmc
11-13-2012, 10:44 AM
Do people go nuts about having pure breed cats like people do with dogs? My dog is a mutt and I wouldn't have it any other way. My mom on the other hand is nuts about having pure breed dogs. Frankly, I think the pure breed thing is almost like racism. I'd rather save a poor little animal from being put to death than pay someone to make money off an innocent animal.

thirdmanj
11-13-2012, 10:47 AM
Do people go nuts about having pure breed cats like people do with dogs? My dog is a mutt and I wouldn't have it any other way. My mom on the other hand is nuts about having pure breed dogs. Frankly, I think the pure breed thing is almost like racism. I'd rather save a poor little animal from being put to death than pay someone to make money off an innocent animal.

Can Michael see this post?

stevedmc
11-13-2012, 11:32 AM
Can Michael see this post?

Yours, yes. Mine, no.