PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Front Door Light Problem

orbitron3000
06-02-2011, 09:21 PM
Hi everyone,

I have a problem with only one of the door lights. The front passenger door light (orange) will not light no matter what I do. I have checked the bulbs, it's not burnt out. The other two lights (orange on the side, and red on the back) light up no problem when the door's open. Could this be some sort of wiring problem on the inside of the door? How can I go about fixing it?

Thanks,
Ryan

fnzen
06-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Sounds like a plunger problem see the recent DMCHELP thread

http://www.dmchelp.com/showthread.php?2243-Door-Light-(only-driver-side)-not-working

See if that helps

orbitron3000
06-02-2011, 09:43 PM
Sounds like a plunger problem see the recent DMCHELP thread

http://www.dmchelp.com/showthread.php?2243-Door-Light-(only-driver-side)-not-working

See if that helps

hey fnzen,

i did actually read that thread before posting, and I'm sure it's not the plunger as 2k1Toaster mentions. The two rear lights come on and off when the plunger is out and in, respectively. It's just that one front light that doesn't seem to want to shine.

fnzen
06-02-2011, 09:44 PM
oops I misread
sound like you need to check that you have voltage at the bulb then work from there, you can check this with a simple lighted pick or meter, how do you know the bulb is good? sometimes you can not ell by lookin at it check it in a good socket

orbitron3000
06-02-2011, 09:46 PM
oops I misread
sound like you need to check that you have voltage at the bulb then work from there, you can check this with a simple lighted pick or meter, how do you know the bulb is good? sometimes you can not ell by lookin at it check it in a good socket

Hey yea, I know the bulb is good because i swapped it for another door light that was kinda dim, and the bulb in question lit right up.

stevedmc
06-02-2011, 09:54 PM
I had the same problem on my passenger side and eventually it started working again. Farrar mentioned it could be due to a loose ground. Maybe you should inspect your ground wires and see if any are loose.

orbitron3000
06-02-2011, 09:55 PM
I had the same problem on my passenger side and eventually it started working again. Farrar mentioned it could be due to a loose ground. Maybe you should inspect your ground wires and see if any are loose.

Would I have to take the door apart to check the ground? Which ground do you mean? The one on the door plunger? Or a different ground?

stevedmc
06-02-2011, 10:04 PM
You shouldnt have to go in the door to check ground connections. I still haven't gotten around to checking my grounds so I dont really know the locations. Perhaps someone can chime in.

fnzen
06-02-2011, 10:04 PM
pull out the socket like you are changing the bulb and check your wires

orbitron3000
06-02-2011, 10:05 PM
pull out the socket like you are changing the bulb and check your wires

Can I remove the black sheath that holds the reflector? There are two wires coming into the bulb holder itself -- red and black I believe. Which wires are you referring to?

fnzen
06-02-2011, 10:08 PM
yes it is rubber just carefully work it out and check connections , if you have a meter or light pick that would be best black is ground red supply

Bitsyncmaster
06-03-2011, 06:47 AM
yes it is rubber just carefully work it out and check connections , if you have a meter or light pick that would be best black is ground red supply

Pull the lens (reflector) out first and then the rubber case will come out easy. Each door light has wires going to a connector. I seem to remember you could pull the wires on two of the lights to get at the connector but the third light required getting at the connector with the door panel off.

Mike C.
06-03-2011, 07:05 AM
Yep, pull lens with small tiny flathead screw driver, pull rubber housing, unplug housing, stick a meter on there to see if you have power. If not, start going backwards. If yes, try switching the housing with another one to see if maybe you just have a bad wire or connection.

orbitron3000
06-03-2011, 08:50 AM
Yep, pull lens with small tiny flathead screw driver, pull rubber housing, unplug housing, stick a meter on there to see if you have power. If not, start going backwards. If yes, try switching the housing with another one to see if maybe you just have a bad wire or connection.

Pull the lens (reflector) out first and then the rubber case will come out easy. Each door light has wires going to a connector. I seem to remember you could pull the wires on two of the lights to get at the connector but the third light required getting at the connector with the door panel off.

Cool. I'll start checking these today. Thanks for the help, everyone!