PDA

View Full Version : General The Great Mystery of Car 16654

12-17-2011, 12:32 PM
So after many years of rumours concerning an Ontario, Canada parts car.. it surfaces north of Toronto in Vaughan, Ontario. The VIN is 16654. The Ontario Delorean Owners Club is contacted by the seller and members of the club agree to buy the car together to use as a parts car as it (as evident in the attached photos) appears to be beyond saving at a reasonable cost.

Just as the payment is about to be made, the seller informs ODOC that the car was sold to an individual who paid over $5,000 for it. If true, that's great for the seller.

So, what we at ODOC are wondering is... is the buyer on this Forum? If you are and are restoring this car in Ontario, there are Members who would be willing to make suggestions and provide moral support. If you are parting this out in Ontario, there may be ODOC Members who may want the parts you do not.

Either way many of us are curious as to the fate of this car, which (as mentioned above) had been the source of rumours for years, appeared under mysterious circumstances, and then disappeared again into oblivion.

Help solve the Mystery of Car 16654.

Mark D
12-17-2011, 12:39 PM
That is one of the saddest D's I've ever seen... hope there are some parts there left that can be of use to someone. Whoever paid 5k for that is out of their mind

Kenny_Z
12-17-2011, 12:52 PM
I guess I'm used to rust buckets but I don't see an unsalvageable car there. She doesn't appear to have been in an accident. There's no way on earth I'd pay 5k for that car though. I'd probably give them 500 bucks. I'd spend a few years collecting parts while I cleaned up that mess. Keep in mind though, I do this as a hobby, not to make money. I'd restore and drive not restore and sell.

I wish whoever bought her good luck in whatever project they have planned.

Iznodmad
12-17-2011, 09:31 PM
I *think* that is the first time I have ever seen a tree growing out of a DeLorean seat! Amazing.

DeLorean
12-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Hell, I hardly even see very many good parts left there... If someone actually paid over $5000 for this... I would be pretty darn amazed and I'd agree... great for the seller. He/she should be tap dancing all the way to the bank on that one :nervous:

Michael
12-18-2011, 06:54 PM
I guess I'm used to rust buckets but I don't see an unsalvageable car there.

There is no such thing is an "unsalvageable" car, As long as you have a set of vin plates and a title, you have a salvageable car....I guess the proper term to describe this or about any other car in this shape should be "totaled"

Cory W
12-18-2011, 07:05 PM
Just a technicality, but there's no title in Canada. The registered ownership slip is all that matters.

Kenny_Z
12-18-2011, 09:23 PM
Unsalvageable and totaled could both mean "costs more to restore than it would be worth" but I'd look at it as a long term project, something for fun not profit.

I'd put her into the same category as my 66 Nova that's in the middle of a several year restoration. The Nova is a 4 door which means some parts are just impossible to find/don't exist. I want to keep the 194 inline 6 which means even more impossible to find parts. On top of it all she's a 400 series which are special optioned vehicles. Her restoration has already passed for what I could sell the finished product and she's still in bodywork. I've had to be patient to find things for her and build what I couldn't find.

I see why so many Deloreans turn into parts cars but I'm still sad to see it happen.

sean
12-18-2011, 10:57 PM
Wow, pretty sad and yeah $5k is pretty insane.

Ryan King
12-19-2011, 12:45 PM
Wow, pretty sad and yeah $5k is pretty insane.

It seems really insane to me as well..

If you dont mind me asking, what was the price you guys had set up before it was bought for 5,000?

SamHill
12-19-2011, 01:27 PM

micmak
12-19-2011, 05:53 PM
It seems really insane to me as well..

If you dont mind me asking, what was the price you guys had set up before it was bought for 5,000?

I believe the agreed price was somewhere around $1500. Several club members were going to pick bits from it here and there over the next few months. I think the engine and torsion bars were already spoken for - I think.

......Mike......

Ryan King
12-22-2011, 01:11 AM
I believe the agreed price was somewhere around $1500. Several club members were going to pick bits from it here and there over the next few months. I think the engine and torsion bars were already spoken for - I think.

......Mike......

So the owner "claims" to have sold it. I would check back in a few weeks and see if its still there.

Henrik
12-22-2011, 02:51 PM
Couldn't the seller just tell you who he sold it to?

Kenny_Z
12-22-2011, 04:29 PM
Couldn't the seller just tell you who he sold it to?

If you bought a car would you want the seller to tell everyone about you?

12-23-2011, 12:02 AM
One of our club members who was going be in the buying group went to see where the car was.. and only the black tarp was left. Seller is apparently not providing any info.