PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Malfunctioning temp gauge

Chris Burns
12-19-2011, 05:26 PM
We have a Delorean with a malfunctioning temp gauge. Car does not overheat. Relays have been replaced. What else could cause this?

Cory W
12-19-2011, 06:28 PM
Malfunctioning...how?

Is it pegged straight up?

Does it move at all?

Maybe it's stuck in place. Hit the cluster near the gauge and see if it moves.

Otherwise, more info please.

Bitsyncmaster
12-19-2011, 06:45 PM
A common problem with it is the bulkhead connectors are dirty. Just unplug and plug them back in and see if it fixes it.

stevedmc
12-19-2011, 06:53 PM
The temp gauge sensor could be bad too. Its relatively easy to change out and costs about $30 from your vendor of choice.

You should really post this in the regular part of the forum. Someone will probably respond with pictures if this is posted in the right place.

Perhaps a mod can move this thread.

Edit: I'll ask Sean if he can move this to the General Delorean Discussion thread. If I remember correctly, I had a temp gauge problem two years ago and someone responded with pictures of where the part is located.

David T
12-19-2011, 09:41 PM
Check to see if the wire going to the temp sender got knocked off. It is very easy to do if you were messing around in that area.
David Teitelbaum

Chris Burns
12-19-2011, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the help guys:D It's actually my bud's car VIN 6813. I'll relay the info to him.

WelmoedJ
12-20-2011, 04:46 AM
In my car the needle sometimes gets stuck in either 1 or 5 o'clock position.
A good smash (sometimes two or three) at the left hand side wall of the binnacle usually gets its normal behavior back.

jmettee
12-20-2011, 05:46 AM
In my car the needle sometimes gets stuck in either 1 or 5 o'clock position.
A good smash (sometimes two or three) at the left hand side wall of the binnacle usually gets its normal behavior back.

And for those that want not to destroy their binnacle (especially if original & in good condition), this would signify the gauge needs replacement or has a connection issue in the cluster :giggle:

Pretty simple to rule our the sender is to ground the connector. Take off the air cleaner & you can get access to the terminal on the passenger side block, near the rear bulkhead (toward the front of the car). In some cases, the nut will be on the terminal & slightly seized...& unscrewing the nut will spin the terminal in the sender. I had to remove mine from the car & use a dremel to remove the terminal.

FYI, don't use a Volvo replacement for the sender....while it screws in correctly, it doesn't provide the same output & the gauge will not read correctly.

Justin

Ron
12-20-2011, 10:33 AM
In some cases, the nut will be on the terminal & slightly seized...& unscrewing the nut will spin the terminal in the sender.
+1

Better to just unplug the smaller White bulkhead connector and ground the Light Green-Blue wire.

DMCMW Dave
12-20-2011, 08:02 PM
... In some cases, the nut will be on the terminal & slightly seized...& unscrewing the nut will spin the terminal in the sender. I had to remove mine from the car & use a dremel to remove the terminal.
Justin

+1

Better to just unplug the smaller White bulkhead connector and ground the Light Green-Blue wire.

This is the case more often than not. For some reason that sender has a steel stud and nut. ... .