PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for portable jump starter?

Notifier
12-19-2011, 08:20 PM
Was looking into getting one of those portable jump starter pack - the kind of thing where it contains a battery and you can start a vehicle with it in an emergency. Not for the DeLorean, but actually for my company vehicle. Had an incident Friday and almost got stranded. Luckily, there was another vehicle there and we had jumper cables. But that was rare, usually it's just me.

Anyway... Started looking into them and there are so many brands/types/sizes/etc. Wondering what others have used and found that works! Some things I would like:

1.) One I can leave plugged into the vehicle/house without worrying it's going to overheat or overcharge.

2.) Small as possible while still able to do the job. Saw a couple of those "fits in your glove box and just plug into the cigarette lighter" types - they look like a joke! Hard to believe something like that would actually turnover an engine!

3.) Price, would like to keep it as inexpensive as possible without skimping on quality.

4.) See a lot with built in air compressors, lights, usb ports, toasters, etc. Not really interested in the bells and whistles, just need to start the car!

Recommendations?

Chris Mays
12-19-2011, 08:30 PM
Was looking into getting one of those portable jump starter pack - the kind of thing where it contains a battery and you can start a vehicle with it in an emergency. Not for the DeLorean, but actually for my company vehicle. Had an incident Friday and almost got stranded. Luckily, there was another vehicle there and we had jumper cables. But that was rare, usually it's just me.

Anyway... Started looking into them and there are so many brands/types/sizes/etc. Wondering what others have used and found that works! Some things I would like:

1.) One I can leave plugged into the vehicle/house without worrying it's going to overheat or overcharge.

2.) Small as possible while still able to do the job. Saw a couple of those "fits in your glove box and just plug into the cigarette lighter" types - they look like a joke! Hard to believe something like that would actually turnover an engine!

3.) Price, would like to keep it as inexpensive as possible without skimping on quality.

4.) See a lot with built in air compressors, lights, usb ports, toasters, etc. Not really interested in the bells and whistles, just need to start the car!

Recommendations?

I work for Interstate Batteries and we have a jump pack made by Quick cable that is very nice. I have one in my truck and my 16year old daughter keeps one in her Mini Cooper for an unexpected emergency. If you contact an Interstae battery distribution center near you they could get you one. I have a link posted below that will show you the details on the the pack. Hope this helps

http://www.bing.com/shopping/quick-cable-rescue-pack-1000-booster-pack-heavy-duty/p/8A22AB0645AFD3115006?q=quick+cable+booster+pack&lpq=quick%20cable%20booster%20pack&FORM=HURE

Michael
12-19-2011, 08:46 PM
So odd that you posted this, I just bought one a few hours ago at Orileys auto parts. I have been in the market for one, so when I saw this one on sale for 70.00 I got it. Like you I got it for my business, but will definitely keep it in our Volvo daily driver when we drive to Baltimore next month. It has 1000 peak cca, built in air compressor, 2 12v outlets, and a 6 led work light. Not bad for 70.00.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/SS02/44003.oap?ck=Search_N2157_-1_-1&pt=N2157&ppt=C0005
Sorry, I can't give you a review as I haven't even charged it up yet. I can tell you it charges with an 110 AC plug lead(included). You can't leave it on charge all the time, 48 hrs max, but according to the manufacturer, it only needs charging every 2 months...assuming you don't use it.

nofear365
12-20-2011, 11:25 AM
Though I can't recommend a portable one, I CAN recommend this one for your garage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uZfNuuWQF8

I think I spent $50 on it about a year ago. Great for keeping your off season stored car's battery healthy.

http://content.costco.com/Images/Content/Product/278711.jpg

Duracell 15 Amp Battery Charger

"The Duracell 15 Amp Battery Charger rapidly charges all of your vehicle batteries. It is ideal for rapidly charging, maintaining and extending the life of your ATV, snowmobile, motorcycle, personal-watercraft, lawn tractor, car and truck batteries when they are not in use. During cold weather periods, your batteries are kept fully charged reducing the need and cost to replace them."

Mike C.
12-20-2011, 12:16 PM
This really is very good timing. I was just looking at a black and decker unit in the paper, and was going to toss it into the trunk just in case...

Notifier
12-20-2011, 09:45 PM
I work for Interstate Batteries and we have a jump pack made by Quick cable that is very nice. I have one in my truck and my 16year old daughter keeps one in her Mini Cooper for an unexpected emergency. If you contact an Interstae battery distribution center near you they could get you one. I have a link posted below that will show you the details on the the pack. Hope this helps

http://www.bing.com/shopping/quick-cable-rescue-pack-1000-booster-pack-heavy-duty/p/8A22AB0645AFD3115006?q=quick+cable+booster+pack&lpq=quick%20cable%20booster%20pack&FORM=HURE

Have you ever had to use it?

beernpizzalover
11-10-2014, 05:13 PM
Just reviving an older thread I happened to find come across while doing a quick search.
I'm also in the market for one of these to use when my car battery runs down; unfortunately, I've had to ask for too many jump-starts lately...
What's the best current flow (in Amps) to look for to recharge a 12-Volt battery as soon as possible? I see quite a range while doing a search on Ebay...

Thanks a lot!
Scott :)

Gfrank
11-10-2014, 08:56 PM
Can't really comment on any other brands but I have Matco tools mini jump deal (my dad was a dealer, but I know others have the same unit but cheaper)
Anyways it's about the size of your hand, and will actually start your car without a battery, tested it on my d no problem, even started the big block in my dads Shelby . Love the thing

http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/product/MINIJUMP/VERSAPOWER-MICRO-POWER-SOURCE-AND-JUMP-START/

SS Spoiler
11-10-2014, 10:12 PM
Coming back from Houstons open house I left a light on and ran the battery flat overnight at the motel. Got the maintenance
man to give me a jump and took off for Minnesota. About a mile away I ran into a monster rainstorm. The DeLorean quit a 100 feet from a overpass.
After pushing the car under the bridge, I call AAA. A guy shows up and saunters over with this funny little box. " Arn't you going to jump it?"
"nope, this will do it".......and it did. Pulled into next big town and bought one. Been on every trip since.

David T
11-10-2014, 10:16 PM
Try to get as big a pack as you can. Size does matter. It is also very useful to have a compressor in it to pump up tires. The cig outlet is handy in a power failure to recharge phones and stuff. Don't forget to keep the pack fully charged. I plug mine in for 1 day every month and after each use. They do not last forever but the last one I had lasted around 7 years. Much safer that jumping with the newer cars and all of the computers. One wrong move and you can blow the computers in BOTH cars! NEVER try jumping a battery that has frozen. If the case is bulging or you suspect the battery froze do not even try jumping it, it can explode.

Exolis
11-11-2014, 01:02 PM
So odd that you posted this, I just bought one a few hours ago at Orileys auto parts. I have been in the market for one, so when I saw this one on sale for 70.00 I got it. Like you I got it for my business, but will definitely keep it in our Volvo daily driver when we drive to Baltimore next month. It has 1000 peak cca, built in air compressor, 2 12v outlets, and a 6 led work light. Not bad for 70.00.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/SS02/44003.oap?ck=Search_N2157_-1_-1&pt=N2157&ppt=C0005
Sorry, I can't give you a review as I haven't even charged it up yet. I can tell you it charges with an 110 AC plug lead(included). You can't leave it on charge all the time, 48 hrs max, but according to the manufacturer, it only needs charging every 2 months...assuming you don't use it.

I have one similar to this, but no air compressor. But it did have a smart charger to it so you could see the percentage on the LED indicator and could leave it plugged in. Made by Diehard. Was a great investment, since my Girlfriend had her 98 VW Beetle Diesel and in Michigan, it worked great to start the bastard in -20 F temps. The Battery was still good, just the vehicle at that age and miles, it would take an extra 15-20 mins to restart the glow plugs and crank. (Didn't have the option to use a block heater).

theMonch
11-11-2014, 01:42 PM
Like others, I was very skeptical as to something the size of my cell phone starting a car, but I am now a believer. I bought one of these a few months back, after seeing a video of a guy starting a car with no battery at all with one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/18000mAH-MultiFunction-Car-Battery-Emergency-Power-Jump-Starter-Booster-Charger-/251610801268?pt=Multipurpose_AC_to_DC_Adapters&hash=item3a952c2474

I have personally started two of my cars (one of which is a Big Block Suburban) and one of my motorcycles and my lawn tractor off of it... ALL WITH THE SAME CHARGE!! It also has a multifunction device charger cable that does all the usual suspects, iPod, iPhone, iPad, Android devices, etc.

I was going to buy multiples for my 5 different cars (or most of them), but the size is so small, I just carry the one around with me in my messenger bag all of the time.

My only complaint with this thing is that it can be only charged from its included 15v wall wart charger. I would have loved to have seen a 12v cigarette lighter adapter so I could leave it plugged in while driving to top off the charge.

WHO1DMC
03-04-2023, 04:46 AM
Thought I would give this thread an update.
This is supercapacitor technology. I've had this one for 5 years or so and it works great. I've helped many people with it mostly during winter.
You don't have to keep them charged just put it in the trunk till you need it. It works with the little charge left in your battery,donor car or USB. If you want a jump pack you don't have to worry if it's changed these are were it's at. Mine is by autowit. And is a 1st gen there is now a second. They are a little spendy but you don't have to worry if you have a charge. For me the one's that have a lot of bells and whistles and need to be kept charged are over rated. And some are just junk.
I purchased mine from Amazon.

Dave B.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230304/6bcadafe5df2ddf57b3a9f8074fc7dac.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230304/e59d57b5b038b21b44e96adb1b060bbc.jpg