PDA

View Full Version : What's a good moden-day standard DIN size head unit?

DeLorean
06-02-2011, 11:53 PM
I'm looking for something that's not excessively flashy (like most stuff these days is!) and will fit a standard DIN size hole. Good power output is a plus as I am not going to be using an external amp, also USB or an external input would both be pluses. HD radio would also be a plus. It does not need to have a CD player or a TV but If they have it, they have it.

Any suggestions?

Notifier
06-03-2011, 09:08 PM
I'm in the same boat, looking to replace the stock radio with something new but don't want something that looks out of place for the era of the vehicle. I would prefer something with a simple LCD display and some buttons (no flash lights, graphics, etc) just like the original. Not having much luck with that.

I did run across a Kenwood unit that will fit in the standard DIN opening - there are actually two: The Kenwood KVT-516 and KTV-696. They both have motorized screens that fold back into the unit itself and looking at it with the screen stowed, looks rather "plain" on the outside. I saw one on display in the store and that's what caught my eye. They have a ton of features, I think the 516 is around $400, the 696 a little more. I'm considering it, haven't made a commitment yet, still hoping I find something else. But at this point looks like what I'm going with!

DMCNY
06-03-2011, 10:26 PM
I installed the Kenwood KVT-516 in mine and I'm very happy with it.

I also liked that when the screen was closed it wasn't too flashy and looked rather "stockish" in the dash.

Here's a couple pics.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t165/andygarand/022.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t165/andygarand/023-1.jpg

Notifier
06-04-2011, 10:48 AM
That's awesome to see the Kenwood unit installed. That's what I liked about it, with the screen stowed, doesn't stick out as a 2011 radio in a 1980's car! Unless your into updating with LED lights and displays, any new radio is going to look out of place. I did look at the "RetroSound" radio's (specifically the 62-80 MGB Model One because it has a totally black face and knobs, no chrome) but then I heard bad things about them so I wasn't sure. I heard they tend to stop working after a while, don't know if that's true or just a couple of disgruntled customers...

Grover
06-07-2011, 01:59 PM
It is no longer available, but you can find it on ebay and car audio forums. It is the top of the line Pioneer from a few years ago, retailing at above $1,000 (Pioneer P800PRS). Price range now used is pretty good. It also has TONS of configurations (32 band eq.).

I have this installed in my car and am amazed at how well it makes the car sound, but better than the Kenwood that used to be in there. I can turn up the volume very high with no distortion.

I also wanted something that looked stock (one knob on each side), and it can be changed to be just white light instead of blue when lit up. It looks like it belongs in the car. Very worth it to me.

MartyP
06-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Ijust bought and getting readyto install a Pioneer DEH-7300 BT.

I cant wait to plug everything and see how it sound.

I'll be replacing the 4 speakers too.

Wells Auto
06-26-2011, 01:39 PM
I have the same deck as googoofan5 which the previous owner of my car installed, and it's awesome. The brushed metal on the face compliments the interior, and the sound quality with the right speakers and cubby sub is great without visibly changing the interior much.