PDA

View Full Version : Wanted The Continued Hunt for an A/T Delorean

TripleZeroFilms
12-21-2011, 10:59 PM
Hey everyone,

You may remember I had a thread up in the old message board about my search for an Automatic Delorean. I was trying to feel out the marketplace and see what was around (which, as you can guess from the title of this thread, was not much within my range). Now I'm back with renewed sense of purpose in my cause (not that I've stopped looking in the meantime but just that I haven't really been on this board doing so).

My "Dream Car" would be solid grey or black interior and have a windshield-based or rear antenna. It would also, of course, be an automatic (that part is REQUIRED). Without giving an exact number my price range is on the lower end of the spectrum (i.e. a running, but far from perfect/show, car). I'm in the South East but distance isn't too much of an issue if it is the right car.

I've been keeping my eyes on Ebay and Craigs but so far not much as turned up in my price/requirements. Perhaps some of you might know of some other good sites or maybe even some cars that are for sale that I've just not been able to find. I appreciate any and all help I can receive while on this, sometimes daunting, task of finding the perfect Delorean.

Thanks so much you guys! :)

LEVY
12-22-2011, 11:13 AM
Keep searching this forum little more often. This looks like a good candidate but I think is already sold: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?2147-For-Sale-1981-DeLorean-with-less-than-3-000-miles-on-it.

Hey everyone,

You may remember I had a thread up in the old message board about my search for an Automatic Delorean. I was trying to feel out the marketplace and see what was around (which, as you can guess from the title of this thread, was not much within my range). Now I'm back with renewed sense of purpose in my cause (not that I've stopped looking in the meantime but just that I haven't really been on this board doing so).

My "Dream Car" would be solid grey or black interior and have a windshield-based or rear antenna. It would also, of course, be an automatic (that part is REQUIRED). Without giving an exact number my price range is on the lower end of the spectrum (i.e. a running, but far from perfect/show, car). I'm in the South East but distance isn't too much of an issue if it is the right car.

I've been keeping my eyes on Ebay and Craigs but so far not much as turned up in my price/requirements. Perhaps some of you might know of some other good sites or maybe even some cars that are for sale that I've just not been able to find. I appreciate any and all help I can receive while on this, sometimes daunting, task of finding the perfect Delorean.

Thanks so much you guys! :)

Ron
12-22-2011, 09:23 PM
A ballpark figure would be most helpful.
Or, if you run across a sound manual for a bargin, I'd be interested in a trade.

TripleZeroFilms
12-23-2011, 02:57 PM
A ballpark figure would be most helpful.
Or, if you run across a sound manual for a bargin, I'd be interested in a trade.

Ballpark is around 11-14k. Of course, as time goes by that figure steadily increases. As I said, I'm not really looking for a show car or even a daily driver - just a running automatic D that fits the bill. All the other stuff/repairs can be done as time and money allows.

As for a trade I'd need to know more about your car as well as have it be a done deal before I'd pick up a manual (as it's certainly not something I'd want for myself).

Ron
12-23-2011, 08:25 PM
I see wanting to have everything set up first...and finding a running D needing some TLC in that range (depending on the trade-offs you are willing to accept). As for my D, it is an 81, auto, black interior, low VIN, flap and grove hood, windshield antenna, clock, with 31K mileage. Everything works and it runs and drives great. I've done all of the updates, replaced the usual wear items (including trans clutch kit, brakes, door seals, DMCH seat leathers, hoses, ect, etc). It could use new sun visors and another dash pad (but not ugly/worth changing out yet according to the reviews I read...), and, my painter to get his act together (everything but shooting it is done). I think it would be fair to say its value was closer to the other end of the spectrum, but, a lot of people are selling off their toys these days so keep looking!
I guess I should mention the (arguable) 25K Rule (Price of used D + cost to make it reliable and presentable = $25K).

+1 on checking here often...many post there D here and most of the others are reported here by the members.

Michael
12-23-2011, 08:35 PM
Have you checked here:

http://www.dmcnews.com/BuyNSell/dmcforsale.html

The posts are older, but it doesn't mean they have been sold.

TripleZeroFilms
12-24-2011, 04:39 AM
a lot of people are selling off their toys these days so keep looking!
+1 on checking here often...many post there D here and most of the others are reported here by the members.

That's what I'm hoping for. The way the economy is right now people are more inclined to relieve themselves of their "luxury" items at a lower price. But it really all depends on the person and the condition. But I'm in no rush (as I said I've been looking for quite some time) as this is something worth getting right.

Have you checked here:

http://www.dmcnews.com/BuyNSell/dmcforsale.html

The posts are older, but it doesn't mean they have been sold.

I have actually checked there before. Sadly, most of the D's there that fall into my price range are manuals. The few auto's they do have are much closer to the high-end than I can currently afford.

ccurzio
12-25-2011, 01:15 PM
I'm curious as to the reasoning behind being so vehemently against getting a car with a manual transmission. What's the deal there?

TripleZeroFilms
12-26-2011, 01:16 PM
I'm curious as to the reasoning behind being so vehemently against getting a car with a manual transmission. What's the deal there?

It's the same reason someone wants a Delorean instead of a GTO - personal preference. I just don't care for manuals.

Ron
12-26-2011, 01:24 PM
It's the same reason someone wants a Delorean instead of a GTO - personal preference. I just don't care for manuals.And then there are those who can't make up their mind which "DeLorean" they want...so they keep all three. :wink:

Bikercmbc
12-26-2011, 10:23 PM
I know of 2 locally that are automatics, ill PM you some of the info.

Bikercmbc
01-07-2012, 09:40 PM
there was one non running on the birmingham AL craigslist for 12k obo a couple of days ago

TripleZeroFilms
01-10-2012, 06:03 PM
there was one non running on the birmingham AL craigslist for 12k obo a couple of days ago

I actually saw that one and spoke with the owner. His price for that one in its current condition was just too high. There was way too much work needing to be done to it than could justify his price point. Thanks for the tip though! :)

TripleZeroFilms
01-24-2012, 08:00 PM
Sorry for the "double post" as it were, but I feel it's been long enough since my previous post that it wont matter.

Just as a little update, I have been following a few leads in regards to finding the right automatic but so far not much has turned up with one exception (see below). Much of the current automatic market is far more high end than my current $14k (or lower) range. Perhaps this is due to their comparative rarity to manuels. Either way, I am still very much in the market for one so if anyone does run across something, I hope you remember this thread and let me know.

On a related note, I have been looking at a decently priced Auto Delorean with one major drawback - its painted red. Now, I've seen red D's before, but I'm much more of a stainless guy. So I'm kind of doing some mental gymnastics to figure out if I should even bother with it as if I bought it I would HAVE to restore it to its original stainless. That process can be quite complex (and expensive!) but I'm still not sure. If anyone has an opinion, or experience doing something similar, I'm certainly all ears!

Jimmyvonviggle
01-24-2012, 08:34 PM
If manual is a deal breaker then a painted one should definitely be one. Keep looking and be patient.

Check craiglist in all states and cities every few days. There always seems to be many in Arizona, Las Vegas, California, Texas.

As far as price there are two ways to look at it:

1. Buy as cheap as you can, as long as the car is not a write off and restore it the way you want it.

2. Buy a more expensive one, and it will be driveable. But beware even cars that are in the 20k-30k range still need work.

Dangermouse
01-24-2012, 10:56 PM
I saw that red one too. Needs more pics to tell if is priced right.

Check on this forum for a couple of threads on removing paint (or were they on .com ?)

dn010
01-25-2012, 04:51 PM
I've heard of people using bondo/fillers to fix up damage prior to painting their DeLoreans so be careful - the stainless might not be all perfect under the paint.....

TripleZeroFilms
01-25-2012, 09:28 PM
I've heard of people using bondo/fillers to fix up damage prior to painting their DeLoreans so be careful - the stainless might not be all perfect under the paint.....

I've thought of that myself. Honestly, I'm kind of backing away from that one. There is just way too much risk and cost associated with it if it turns out wrong.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I'm just going to keep my eyes open for a better fit. (And hopefully you guys will too!) :)

Kukem
02-02-2012, 11:57 AM
I'm sure you've already come by this one but I thought I'd throw it out there.

81 AT DeLorean in NC (http://wilmington.craigslist.org/cto/2783408453.html)

Iznodmad
02-02-2012, 12:56 PM

Don't touch it with a 10 foot pole. I personally found this car for sale about 3 years ago and looked it over extensively (before it moved to Wilmington). The owner at that time had it for sale for about $22K dollars. I looked it over and found roughly $16K worth of work needed to be done to make it a daily driver. I offered him $10K and he wouldn't go any lower than $16K. That means that this guy selling it now picked it up for about $16K and has done nothing to it and expects to flip it and make a quick $3K on it. The unsuspecting person that buys this is gonna be pissed when they find all the work that needs to be done to it. Virtually bone stock and everything is worn out. Decent cosmetics, but nothing to write home about. I think it may have also been damaged by a hurricane that went thru the area after this guy bought it, so that would make it even worse than when I saw it. Buyer beware, unless you are a vendor.

Chris Burns
02-02-2012, 12:56 PM

I have heard bad stories about that one! Beware:eek1: That one pops up every now and then.

Kukem
02-02-2012, 02:27 PM
Wow, thanks, guys. I had no idea. I'll be sure to post any others I find just to be on the safe side.

TripleZeroFilms
02-02-2012, 06:10 PM

I have seen that one already. But besides that fact that's its above my price range, the opinion on this board after your post seems to be that this car is a money pit. The last thing I need is to pay $19K for a $16K black hole. :tongue:

Thanks for the help though! Be sure to let me know if you run across anything else. I've still got my eyes peeled (which sound really painful BTW).

Mike Z
02-02-2012, 10:27 PM
Have you seen these?

1981 Automatic (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981-Black-automatic-/110814480579?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item19cd0ec8c3)

1981 Automatic Gas Flap (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981-BLACK-INTERIOR-AUTOMATIC-GAS-FLAP-HOOD-/110814685271?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item19cd11e857)

TripleZeroFilms
02-02-2012, 11:44 PM
Have you seen these?

1981 Automatic (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981-Black-automatic-/110814480579?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item19cd0ec8c3)

1981 Automatic Gas Flap (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981-BLACK-INTERIOR-AUTOMATIC-GAS-FLAP-HOOD-/110814685271?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item19cd11e857)

Yep. However, if you go to the official site selling these cars (www.gulfcoastmotorworks.com), you'll see that they're wanting around 40K each for those cars. Talk about WAAAAAY out of my price range.

They're really nice cars though :wink:

Mike Z
02-03-2012, 01:33 PM
Yep. However, if you go to the official site selling these cars (www.gulfcoastmotorworks.com), you'll see that they're wanting around 40K each for those cars. Talk about WAAAAAY out of my price range.

They're really nice cars though :wink:

Ah, I see, my bad. So I guess if the bids don't go as high as they want them to, they just don't sell the car??

TripleZeroFilms
02-03-2012, 01:38 PM
Ah, I see, my bad. So I guess if the bids don't go as high as they want them to, they just don't sell the car??

Exactly. That's why they have a "reserve" price set. As long as the bids don't hit that (it's most likely the minimum they will take for the cars) the cars don't sell. Though to be fair there is no reason for them to start the auctions on those cars so low as they never intend to sell them for so little.

Dangermouse
02-03-2012, 03:48 PM
You do know that gulfcoastmotorworks is aka DMC-Florida ?

Mike Z
02-03-2012, 10:59 PM
You do know that gulfcoastmotorworks is aka DMC-Florida ?

I honestly didn't know until I looked at one of the pictures included in the ebay ad and noticed the signs are next to each other on the building :facepalm:

TripleZeroFilms
03-04-2012, 11:40 PM
Hey All!

Just wanted to let you guys know that I both found and purchased my DeLorean :)

As you can see from under my name, its VIN 781. Gas flap hood, black interior, auto and in need of some TLC and restoration. I'd just like to thank everyone on here for all the help and information and I look forward to sharing some pictures and stories soon. I'll certainly be around but I believe this thread has served its purpose.

Thanks again so much!

Nicholas R
03-04-2012, 11:42 PM
Nice! That's a pretty early car! Post some pics!

dvonk
03-04-2012, 11:49 PM
Nice! That's a pretty early car! Post some pics!

+1, congratulations! :biggrin:

Kukem
03-05-2012, 08:50 PM
Congrats! Can't wait to see the pics of the car!

Chris Burns
03-05-2012, 09:26 PM
Alright man! That is a really early VIN. I bet it looks great!!:thumbup:

Dangermouse
03-06-2012, 08:21 AM
aha; the Red one.

TripleZeroFilms
03-06-2012, 06:36 PM
aha; the Red one.

Indeed it is red...for the time being.

I was able to go see it in person and it turned out to be exactly what I was looking for for the price I was looking for. There's nothing like hands-on with a car to let you see what its really like.

Dangermouse
03-06-2012, 07:06 PM
Thats great news. Seeing it in the flesh is the best thing you can do. Congrats.

Now that you're an owner, a visit to the Introductions thread may be in order, hint, hint. Location, first name, whatever you care to share......

Or do we just call you Mr TripleZeroFilms :)

Or is that Ms TripleZeroFilms ;)

Jimmyvonviggle
03-06-2012, 11:14 PM
Thats great news. Seeing it in the flesh is the best thing you can do. Congrats.

Now that you're an owner, a visit to the Introductions thread may be in order, hint, hint. Location, first name, whatever you care to share......

Or do we just call you Mr TripleZeroFilms :)

Or is that Ms TripleZeroFilms ;)

Too bad it wasn't Ms TripleXfilms

TripleZeroFilms
03-07-2012, 06:43 PM
Too bad it wasn't Ms TripleXfilms

Haha! Indeed. It would appear that I couldn't be Ms anything though...well, at least not without a couple of expensive surgeries.