PDA

View Full Version : EFI Engine Differences [Volvo/Eagle]

dn010
12-22-2011, 01:18 PM
Can someone tell me if there is any difference between the Eagle Premier engine and an 80's 2.8L in the Volvo Bertone 780's? Obviously, I know that the Eagle engine is a 3.0L and uses a serpentine belt while the Volvo's had 2.8L with the "V" belt. Are they both even fire? Thanks for any info!

ramblinmike
12-22-2011, 11:10 PM
Can someone tell me if there is any difference between the Eagle Premier engine and an 80's 2.8L in the Volvo Bertone 780's? Obviously, I know that the Eagle engine is a 3.0L and uses a serpentine belt while the Volvo's had 2.8L with the "V" belt. Are they both even fire? Thanks for any info!

The 2.8 is odd-fire. Different heads between the two as well.

dmc6960
12-23-2011, 12:53 AM
Not the 2.8 in the later 80's. The EFI models are all even-fire.

Different heads
Different piston bore
Same crankshaft

dmc6960
12-23-2011, 12:54 AM

Different heads
Different piston bore
Same crankshaft

*Comparing to the Eagle 3.0

ramblinmike
12-23-2011, 07:16 AM
I went straight to thinking only about the B28F. The B280F didn't even cross my mind. Oops!

dn010
12-23-2011, 11:23 AM
So from what I gather, the 2.8L (Volvo 780, not Delorean) and 3.0 are both even fire, but use different heads and the bore is different. Thank you for your responses!

Different heads
Different piston bore
Same crankshaft

DMCVegas
12-23-2011, 11:37 AM
The other big difference is the Distributor. On the Volvo it's an adjustable type driven by the cam shaft on the left cylinder head. Unit is mounted on top.

'88-'90 Eagle:
Distributor is non-adjustable, driven by the camshaft on the right cylinder head. Unit is mounted on the end.

'91-'92 Eagle:
DIS System, no distributor.

Final item are the Cylinder Heads themselves.
Volvo Cylinder Heads have much smaller intake ports to accommodate the CIS/K-Jetronic Injectors.
Eagle Premier has much larger intake ports and breathes easier.

Eagle Premier Valve Covers I've been told also don't accept Volvo camshafts. In order to get them to fit you've got to grind down the reliefs inside of the covers. Not that it would matter anyways of course.

If someone would just come up with a adjustable adapter plate for the distributor, and a manifold for the 3.0L to accept a carb, we'd probably have the quickest, cheapest performance upgrade know for a DeLorean. Otherwise while a short-block 3.0L PRV will install into a DeLorean with 0 modifications physically, you still have lots of work to do on a fuel delivery system in order to get it working.

dn010
12-23-2011, 02:42 PM
Oddly, the 2.8L volvo engine I have has the distributor mounted on the front of the right hand cylinder bank..Actually, all the Volvo 780's I've seen have it on the front right cyl head; am I mistaken? Also - I'm sure the Dodge Monaco engine is the same as the Eagle one correct? Thanks for all the info guys!

The other big difference is the Distributor. On the Volvo it's an adjustable type driven by the cam shaft on the left cylinder head. Unit is mounted on top.