PDA

View Full Version : Prometheus

DMC3165
12-23-2011, 10:04 PM
Anyone else looking forward to this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sftuxbvGwiU

thirdmanj
12-23-2011, 10:25 PM
Fuck yeah! I could see the flashes of the original H.R. Giger designs in there (that dude even alive anymore?). From the looks of it, it prequels Alien? I dunno what to expect, but for the most part I continue to be impressed with Scott's work, he hasn't turned into a Cameron or a Lucas. Although it looks like its CGId to Hell, I hope it doesn't detract from the movie too much. Needless to say, I'm frothing at the mouth with questions.....

sean
12-23-2011, 10:29 PM
Anyone else looking forward to this?

I am now! Great teaser.

Michael
12-23-2011, 10:38 PM
I continue to be impressed with Scott's work, he hasn't turned into a Cameron or a Lucas

Scott is to Sci-fi what Mann is to crime dramas. They both have their own dark, gritty style that differentiates their work from other movies in the same genre. This deserves to be seen on the big screen rather than waiting for DVD.

DMC3165
12-24-2011, 12:08 AM
Fuck yeah! I could see the flashes of the original H.R. Giger designs in there (that dude even alive anymore?). From the looks of it, it prequels Alien? I dunno what to expect, but for the most part I continue to be impressed with Scott's work, he hasn't turned into a Cameron or a Lucas. Although it looks like its CGId to Hell, I hope it doesn't detract from the movie too much. Needless to say, I'm frothing at the mouth with questions.....

It's a prequel. I saw another video somewhere where Scott said this film will be larger in scope then the original aliens. It will follow Canon but the storyline will be grander and ask more fundamental questions then any of the previous films. Alot of cool tidbits on the website.

thirdmanj
12-24-2011, 12:12 AM
It's a prequel. I saw another video somewhere where Scott said this film will be larger in scope then the original aliens. It will follow Canon but the storyline will be grander and ask more fundamental questions then any of the previous films. Alot of cool tidbits on the website.

Just as long as he doesn't make the classic Lucas fuck up and try to answer all the questions. There is a lot to be said for mystery in films, the chance for your imagination to twist around the unanswered question in movies.

DMC3165
12-24-2011, 12:33 AM
Star Wars wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't for the insane overuse of CGI characters where it was completely unnecessary. It made a potentially good story corny to watch. And that killing kids part in #3 was so way over the top. It was a really bad attempt to draw the audience in and was totally unnecessary. Lucas was lucky he made the other 3 first.

I hope Prometheus turns out to be as good as the trailer!

jackb
12-24-2011, 01:13 AM
I am now! Great teaser.
Exactly! Never heard about this, but it looks totally badass.

SIMid
12-24-2011, 05:29 AM
Exactly! Never heard about this, but it looks totally badass.

+1

Something to look forward to BT!! :D

robvanderveer
12-24-2011, 08:33 AM
Finally some new Sci-Fi, looking forward to it.

Fluxat88MPH
12-24-2011, 09:38 AM
I've been watching and reading about this movie all day yesterday. I can't wait to see it! This movie basicly is a prequel to the 1979 Alien but doesn't really have anything to do with the Alien Xenomorph that we have seen in the previouse films. Its more about the origins of the universe and the"space jocky" that is seen in the first Alien movie. I've always wonderd who and what they were. From what I can gather these supreme beings are the creaters of life in the universe and can create the DNA of everything mechanical, and biological. The Aliens we know are some sort of biological weapon. Creatid by the "engineers of the universe ". If you look up the greek mythical story of Prometheus it gives you an isite of what this movie is about. The Wyland Co. Trying to gain scientific knowledge from the gods. R. Scott has stated that there will be no green screens used in this movie and that large sculpted movie sets are what he is using. So it wont be a James Cameron Avatar blow out. This is also going to be filmed in true 3D and Scott says he's amazed with this technology and its going to look great.

DMC3165
06-08-2012, 07:46 PM
I'm looking for a firsthand review of this. Has anyone seen it yet? I keep hearing about scenes of intense gore. Not much of a horror fan but always enjoyed the sci-fi stuff. Event Horizon was one of those movies that was slightly over the line for me at times. But if Prometheus is more along the lines of Aliens (second was the best one for me) then I'm still in.

Fluxat88MPH
06-08-2012, 08:31 PM
I'm looking for a firsthand review of this. Has anyone seen it yet? I keep hearing about scenes of intense gore. Not much of a horror fan but always enjoyed the sci-fi stuff. Event Horizon was one of those movies that was slightly over the line for me at times. But if Prometheus is more along the lines of Aliens (second was the best one for me) then I'm still in.

Watched it today, I was very disappointed.

DMC3165
06-08-2012, 08:56 PM
Watched it today, I was very disappointed.

Really? Can you be more specific why? Was it boring, not a good story, or just a gore fest?

Fluxat88MPH
06-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Really? Can you be more specific why? Was it boring, not a good story, or just a gore fest?

It wasn't a gore fest, only a couple scenes were pretty gory/cool. The commercials were a little deceiving and more exciting than the movie itself. The music score was nothing like the commercials, didn't fit the film at all. 79 Alien movie was way more scarier then and now. The special f/x was good, except for one major scene that looked like stop motion animation! I think there could of been better depth to it that the commercials seemed to lead to. They only answered a few questions and then left you with more.

Dangermouse
06-10-2012, 07:30 PM
Just back from seeing it in 3D.

My wife summed it up best "why did they pay Ridley Scott twice for making the same movie"

I couldn't work out if it was a prequel to Alien or a loosely related remake. All in all I was disappointed. Same basic plot, same things happening to the crew. I was expecting much more based on the trailers. At certain scenes I was yelling at the actors in my head "it's (set in ) 2093; didn't you guys watch the Alien movie as part of your training. Noooooo, don't get that close........" you'll know the parts when you see them.

Tillsy
06-10-2012, 07:55 PM
I couldn't work out if it was a prequel to Alien or a loosely related remake.

I reckon there are two parts to this prequel - Prometheus explained a great deal about what the space jockey race where up to, but it did not finish off by aligning with Alien. Confusingly it "appears" to with the crash, but early in the movie I noticed one of the Prometheus computer screens designating the moon as LV223 whereas Alien and Aliens is on LV426. For that matter the pyramids and and other infrastructure were not there, just a single crash scene.

It's definitely a prequel to Alien, but to align with it needs a sequel - as ironic as that sounds :)

DMC3165
06-11-2012, 12:10 AM
I don't want to spoil this for anyone but there was one thing that was significantly absent from this movie. Having said that I was disappointed as well. It is obviously set up for a sequel but I doubt wether or not they'll make one. Truthfully I liked the concept and the tie in to the Alien franchise but it could've answered more of the questions it put out there. The characters were too predictable. It's like they didn't even give any thought to character development at all or the fact that anyone that would see this probably saw all the other alien flicks.

Oh well. At the very least I'm still holding out hope Star Trek 2 will be redeemable!

SIMid
06-11-2012, 07:13 PM
It wasn't brilliant, but I enjoyed it none the less. :)

I hope they do make a sequel, there are been others not worth making and this one should be made. ie. Twilight series.

FLUXING
06-11-2012, 08:11 PM
I liked it. But as many have reviewed it, it left more questions unanswered than answered. It would be far better as a stand-alone movie and NOT in any way associated with Alien(s). Had they changed the ship on the planet, no one would connect it to Alien.

DMCVegas
06-13-2012, 10:12 AM
Just read the plot summary on Wikipedia.

I honestly would rather this have been made into a really, REALLY long book that I could read on my own rather than the resources have been spent making a visual movie.

Now does this mean that the entire Alien vs. Predator series of books has been completely voided? Are we changing the cannon to be that some sort of humanoid race that created the alien species as a biological weapon they intended to wipe out Earth with, from how the Predator race biologically engineered them to combine DNA with other alien species in order to create unique game for hunting purposes?

thirdmanj
06-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Just read the plot summary on Wikipedia.

I honestly would rather this have been made into a really, REALLY long book that I could read on my own rather than the resources have been spent making a visual movie.

Now does this mean that the entire Alien vs. Predator series of books has been completely voided? Are we changing the cannon to be that some sort of humanoid race that created the alien species as a biological weapon they intended to wipe out Earth with, from how the Predator race biologically engineered them to combine DNA with other alien species in order to create unique game for hunting purposes?

I know this opinion is held by many Alien/Predator fans. The only movies that "exist" so to speak, and have any weight whatsoever are: Alien, Aliens, Predator, and Predator 2. The rest are just shit, and disregarded. The only question, if you want to call it that, that Prometheus answered was that the Xenomorph (term first used in Aliens) was the result of their bio weapon infecting one of their own and evolving.

I agree that it should've been longer and more in depth. Thankfully though the writers kept it vague enough so as not to fuck up the Alien story. I'd also like to note that the Prometheus story took place on LV-223 not LV-246.

As to the implied "space-jockey" species seeding life on the planet earth, just to turn around a couple millennia later after we wake them up to destroy us, that question is never addressed. Overall I'd say it was a failure. Well done, beautiful even, but still a failure. Ridley Scott ahem, Sir Ridley Scott got a bit lazy and let the Lost scriptwriters go to town in his universe.

DMCVegas
06-13-2012, 07:00 PM
I suppose so, but I just don't like unanswered questions. It takes something really, REALLY good as far as a story goes to be so outstanding that I am fine without knowing the who/what/where/why of something. Especially when it comes a story that ends up creating it's own little literary universe. The best examples of this being the contents of Marcellus Wallace's briefcase in Pulp Fiction, the package in Ronin. That was one of the things about the whole Harry Potter series of books that I loved, the fact that there were included back stories. To me you can't embark upon setting up the story for such a franchise and leave me asking more questions than I asked, or just as bad drag something out. Maybe it's the instantaneously available amount of information that is available to me at my finger tips, or the pet peeve I still harbor from childhood about "...To Be Continued!" seasonal cliffhangers that leave me hanging. I dunno, I just know that I'm burnt-out on movies and stories that won't spit out the facts to me. I can't even watch investigative news shows anymore. I just google the news stories on my computer or on my phone and will be done with it.

That's just why with stores like this I prefer to not have stuff dumbed-down and made more available to me in a book.

thirdmanj
06-13-2012, 07:14 PM
I suppose so, but I just don't like unanswered questions. It takes something really, REALLY good as far as a story goes to be so outstanding that I am fine without knowing the who/what/where/why of something. Especially when it comes a story that ends up creating it's own little literary universe. The best examples of this being the contents of Marcellus Wallace's briefcase in Pulp Fiction, the package in Ronin. That was one of the things about the whole Harry Potter series of books that I loved, the fact that there were included back stories. To me you can't embark upon setting up the story for such a franchise and leave me asking more questions than I asked, or just as bad drag something out. Maybe it's the instantaneously available amount of information that is available to me at my finger tips, or the pet peeve I still harbor from childhood about "...To Be Continued!" seasonal cliffhangers that leave me hanging. I dunno, I just know that I'm burnt-out on movies and stories that won't spit out the facts to me. I can't even watch investigative news shows anymore. I just google the news stories on my computer or on my phone and will be done with it.

That's just why with stores like this I prefer to not have stuff dumbed-down and made more available to me in a book.

That thing you refer to is a plot device called the "Macguffin". The viewer or reader doesn't need to know what it is, just that it's important and everyone of the characters has something to do with it.

Tillsy
06-13-2012, 11:25 PM
That thing you refer to is a plot device called the "Macguffin". The viewer or reader doesn't need to know what it is, just that it's important and everyone of the characters has something to do with it.

Except for Charlize Theron, who played absolutely no role in the movie what-so-ever - didn't even get to see the implied sex scene :(

SIMid
06-14-2012, 01:03 AM
except for charlize theron, who played absolutely no role in the movie what-so-ever - didn't even get to see the implied sex scene :(

*lmao*

FLUXING
06-14-2012, 03:41 PM
Yeah, that was a disappointment.

Except for Charlize Theron, who played absolutely no role in the movie what-so-ever - didn't even get to see the implied sex scene :(

Dangermouse
06-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Yeah, that was a disappointment.

You should have paid for the 3D version, like me. I saw it (at least when I closed my eyes I did :shock: )

Michael
06-15-2012, 07:18 AM
Well thanks to this thread, I'm waiting for Netflix.

Squall67584
06-15-2012, 09:41 AM
I saw it yesterday in 3D for 5.50 (gotta love small town theater's that still compete with the large ones). Overall I enjoyed it. While it sort of explained what the space jockey was from Alien, it didn't bring anymore new questions to the table than the original movie did. I think it was better that it didn't answer everything. I think we've gotten to be a little under imaginative with having to have the scene where everything gets explained to us. After all, were the aliens supposed to leave a tome describing their exact plans for any visitors to be able to read and include a Rosetta Stone-esque primer so we could read it? And if they did, only David would read it, and his character was used too much for stuff like that already. Any explanation about any of the tech they encountered would also be out of place simply because they had just found it. I mean, that would be like giving a high school autoshop class k-jet and asking them to explain it after only looking at it for a few minutes ;) Anyways, that's my 2 cents on it.

FLUXING
06-15-2012, 09:32 PM
I *did* pay for 3D, in fact, 3D IMAX. The disappointment was the lack of a racy scene with Charlize, not the visual presentation of the movie.

You should have paid for the 3D version, like me. I saw it (at least when I closed my eyes I did :shock: )

FLUXING
06-15-2012, 09:34 PM
I think that's a mistake, especially if you have IMAX or 3D available. You don't get that in Netflix. It's a visually stunning movie that should be seen either 3D or IMAX.

Well thanks to this thread, I'm waiting for Netflix.

thirdmanj
06-15-2012, 09:37 PM
I think that's a mistake, especially if you have IMAX or 3D available. You don't get that in Netflix. It's a visually stunning movie that should be seen either 3D or IMAX.

I'd still wait for Netflix.

82DMC12
06-30-2012, 11:51 AM
Just saw the movie last night. When Shaw was getting her C-section I looked over at my girlfriend who was fumbling in her purse for her birth control pill. Lulz.

SIMid
07-03-2012, 11:06 PM
I posted this on FB, but here for those not linked up with me.

DMC3165
09-19-2012, 08:39 PM
Just in case anyone's interested Prometheus is available for download now on iTunes and Play Station network. Just watched it again today. I liked it better the second time and I'm looking forward to the sequel.

thirdmanj
09-20-2012, 08:24 AM
"It just doesn't make any goddamn sense."
-Cpl. Dwayne Hicks

DMCVegas
09-20-2012, 10:20 AM
"It just doesn't make any goddamn sense."
-Cpl. Dwayne Hicks

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/walker66/Game-Over-Man-Game-Over.jpg

thirdmanj
09-20-2012, 11:37 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/walker66/Game-Over-Man-Game-Over.jpg