PDA

View Full Version : Wanted ignition lock assembly

timothymoore
12-26-2011, 12:59 PM
was wondering if anybody had one for cheap that has the key to go with it. i snapped the key off in mine, and just wanted a spare incase anything happened with this one...... thanks

DMCMW Dave
12-26-2011, 01:01 PM
was wondering if anybody had one for cheap that has the key to go with it. i snapped the key off in mine, and just wanted a spare incase anything happened with this one...... thanks

If you find one it won't be cheap. They've been gone for a long time. You should get the one with the broken key fixed.

timothymoore
12-26-2011, 01:06 PM
do i have to remove the binnacle and cluster to remove it, because it seems to be in the way of being able to get to the sheer screws, and what is the best method of removing them?

DMCMW Dave
12-26-2011, 05:41 PM
do i have to remove the binnacle and cluster to remove it, because it seems to be in the way of being able to get to the sheer screws, and what is the best method of removing them?

Typically one would remove the column from the car, or at least remove the two nuts holding it to the dash and drop the wheel to the seat. I've never tried it by removing the binnacle.

To get the screws out, you either drill the heads off or try to slot them so you can use a screwdriver. Just don't drill too deep.

timothymoore
12-27-2011, 12:45 PM
thanks for the info. i will work on that when i head back to school

Masaes727
12-27-2011, 11:25 PM
Remove the steering colum canopy, 4 screws, try not to break it. Take a Dremel and cut a slot in each bolt head. There are two there, virtually impossible to miss or mistake them for something else. Two options, call a locksmith and get it repaired. 50-100 bucks probably. Or call DMCCA and spend ~249, plus 100 for core charge, plus shipping. If they have one in stock.

timothymoore
12-30-2011, 11:35 AM
i will try to remove it when i get to school monday. i will let you guys know what happens.

timothymoore
12-30-2011, 11:41 AM
im going to try to remove the collumn so i have an easier time removing the lock assembly. i got one evening class, im hoping that i have time before class to do it or tuesday i can come in early cause i dont have class untill 12

john 05141
12-30-2011, 02:56 PM
I had a problem that it was hard to insert my key. The spring behind the metal ball was loose and blocked the ball.
I removed the assembly as was discribed, very easy and logical. In my case it was important to let the key in the lock.
If you can relove the lock, it will be much easier to try to get the key out. Indeed a locksmith can help you. (you can take it iver there I'm sure they have to remove broken keys more often)

I sent my lock to Ed at DMC-EU and he sent it back in no time refurbished. Now it all goes much smoother. (I feared my key wuld break)

John

fnzen
12-30-2011, 07:50 PM
Ive got the whole column for sale $300

timothymoore
01-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Ive got the whole column for sale $300

i will consider that fnzen. let me know if you get rid of it. i assume it has a key to it?

fnzen
01-05-2012, 12:22 AM
yes 1 key comes with it