PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Replacing dropping glass

DMCNY
06-03-2011, 10:39 PM
Has anyone done this and what would be the best method for doing it?

I don't think I'm going to have any luck finding a used piece of glass so I've decided to go ahead and order the new drop window for my drivers door.

According to the website, the glass is ordered seperate from the carrier, so I'll need to remove my current glass and reuse my carrier. When I put in my new window motors I noticed that the glass was held in by what looks like windshield urathane.

What is the best way to seperate the carrier from the glass without busting it and tearing my hand opened in the process and avoiding a trip to the ER?

Is windshield urathane the best stuff to use to reattach the new glass? I noticed that Advanced Auto has it in the tube for like $25.00 a tube!!!

DMCMW Dave
06-03-2011, 11:35 PM
Yes - you will need a tube of windshield urethane and you will throw most of it away. Don't use anything less. RTV etc. is a waste of time.

We successfully get about one in 4 out of the carrier. It takes so long if you have to cut it out, we generally just replace the carrier (time is more expensive than parts in a shop).

Here's another one of those "don't come complaining if you hurt yourself" processes:

What sometimes works is to heat the carrier up with a heat gun. Then set the glass against the edge of a workbench so that the carrier is hanging on the workbench surface and the glass is hanging down (hard to describe but the glass is at this point in a vertical position, upside down from how it goes in the car). Hit the edge of the glass with a plastic mallet. Often a few good hits will separate the glass from the glue, and I've never broken the glass. Obviously you need to be holding the glass with your other hand so it doesn't fall out and hit the floor. Heavy gloves would be a good idea if you are squeamish about this.

If you buy both the glass and the carrier from us we will glue it together for a reasonable fee, and then you won't have to buy the glue. I presume the other dealers will do this too.

DMCNY
06-04-2011, 07:25 AM
If you buy both the glass and the carrier from us we will glue it together for a reasonable fee, and then you won't have to buy the glue. I presume the other dealers will do this too.

Dave, this sounds like the way I'd like to go. I'll pm you about placing the order.

Thanks!

Patrick C
06-04-2011, 07:43 AM
Dave, this sounds like the way I'd like to go. I'll pm you about placing the order.

Thanks!

I'll be doing the same later this month!

1batt4u
06-04-2011, 11:07 AM
I was told to use 3M window weld. IS that any good?

DMCMW Dave
06-04-2011, 12:33 PM
I was told to use 3M window weld. IS that any good?

Yes - that is the most commonly available and works fine.