PDA

View Full Version : The DeLorean Story- The Car, The People, The Scandal

Pages : [1] 2

nick sutton
01-01-2012, 11:42 AM
9837Attached is the first chapter of "Flight of the DeLorean " to be published mid 2012.

Nick Sutton

micmak
01-01-2012, 11:58 AM
Great stuff Nick. I am already hypnotized just reading that chapter. As a Dubliner, I remember the whole story very well, and reading your many comments brings back a flood of memories from that time. Looking forward to reading the whole book. Congratulations Nick.

......Mike......

Alan
01-01-2012, 12:20 PM
Yes, this sounds very interesting. Nick, Thanks for allowing us a preview.

jawn101
01-01-2012, 07:50 PM
Agreed, this sounds fascinating. Can't wait to read the rest!

dvonk
01-01-2012, 10:28 PM
i am definitely intrigued and am looking forward to reading more! :smile:

john 05141
01-02-2012, 08:40 AM
I bought a Delorean because I wanted part of that history. I am not a car enthusiast, and I am more interested in the story than the cars specification. I have read many articles and books involving Delorean. The story still amazes me today. I think I have almost everything there is available out the story of the Delorean company.
I also understand that the Delorean Company has a special impact to those working there. I can imagine it must have been hard to see their future melting away in front of their eyes.
But every time I read such an article, the moment the word "drugs" pops up, I simply fast forward. I just hate to read that. I understand it is part of the Delorean history. It happened. Framed or not. John was acquitted and back to the story. It has no fundamental value to what happened to the car company itself. This only happened at the very end. But I also understand it shocked the employees of DMC.
When I watch the documentary “great blunders" I see 2 people at the end giving comment. “What would you do if John Delorean stands in front of you? I will just punch him in the nose"
Another reaction; “He was the only one coming to give us a job. If he comes back I'll work for him"
John tried to build his dream car. He failed unfortunately. I wish I could see what happened if he succeeded. But I have great respect to what John (and other great entrepreneurs) did to create companies and employment. The author will write his book the way he experienced it. And I welcome the fact Nick will now share it with us, the general public.
When I planned to come to Eurofest last year, I honesty have had my doubts if it would be safe to drive the Delorean there. I have been reading so many negative reactions that I feared the car (and its owner) could get hurt when bumping in to people as a reaction to their nightmare. Because that was the feeling I got. I was told not to worry about that, but it did cross my mind. The reality was that the people of Belfast put up their thumbs :thumbup:and were taking pictures and smiling when we drove by. They welcomed us. I was ashamed I actually feared angry people.
I guess what I am trying to say is that most articles I read I can feel the anger of the author. I hope Nick does not do it this way. It gave me a false look to the real thing. I spoke to some people where actually there, incl Nick . I am honored to know them, they are all great guys.
I will read you book with great interest, Nick. Thanks for sharing.
John

nick sutton
01-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Thank you for the comments John.
Most of the books I have read on the “DeLorean affair” give a good insight into John DeLorean’s early years at General Motors. But because most of the authors had no detailed involvement in the factory either at the beginning or at the end of the venture little has been written of the period from 1978 to 1983 of events that took place at Dunmurry or Lotus. Very few articles or books record the detail about the car’s development or its short life on the production line. And nothing about the employees or residents of the Dunmurry or Twinbrook area who were the people that gained most in the factory’s foundation and suffered most in its closure.
Or the reasons why the UK Government risked a not insignificant amount of money in an area of the United Kingdom that had been written off by everyone except the military and why the Government of the time took the risk, has never clearly been explained.
The word difficult would be an understatement in the effort involved in building the DeLorean factory and the car in the two year s that it took us. The blue skies shown in the photographs that record the building of the factory site from the adjacent tower blocks at Seymour Hill are misleading. The period was a dark time for the area in particular and Northern Ireland in general.
One of the key elements that inspired me to write the book was to set the record right. I was also weary of reading current accounts of the period from journalists that fed of each other’s articles often using the same phrases without any knowledge or understanding of the history. Most were negative. There were many good things to come from the DeLorean experience – I hope that I can share these with you.
I have tried to make the book balanced – but there are a few villains and not the usual suspects.
You shouldn’t have worried about the response in Belfast regarding the DeLorean affair the only negatives you’ll hear are from the civil servants of the time and by now these will have retired to pastures new.
Nick Sutton

delornut
01-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Nick, I'm really looking forward to reading your book. I worked for Ford Motor Company in an engineering position for 38 years and retired in 2003. Last month the plant I retired from was closed so I went back prior to the closing to see what the atmosphere was like. Even through I was retired for a few years I stll felt very sad seeing a once vibrant manufacturing facility looking dark and gloomy. I can equate with the feelings of the Belfast employees when they learned the DeLorean plant was closing. There is always more to a story than the headlines and your insight is something all of us DeLorean enthusiasts will want to hear.

Bruce Benson

DMC5180
01-02-2012, 02:14 PM
Nick,

Thank you for posting that first chapter. Please let us know when and where we can Purchase the hardcopy.

I'm also hoping for a day when when A major film studio does a full motion picture about John Z and the Car. Think TUCKER

nick sutton
01-02-2012, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the comments.
I hope that any future drama reflect the facts of the time and for a short period in the movie -at least - gives some time credence to the magnificent efforts of the workforce.
A plea to any future Producer of a DeLorean movie - please wait for the book before you write the script.

Elvis
01-02-2012, 04:57 PM
Hey Nick,

I'd really love to hear your comments to this book:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51KgPIQ8kdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It's available only in german so far, but I expect you to understand most of it.
If you're interested to get in touch with the author - let me know.
Or did you even talk to him ? I know he talked to many further employees.

Happy new year,
Elvis

Jordan Livingston
01-02-2012, 11:00 PM
Nick - this is really fantastic! I can't wait to read the rest... Keep up the great work!

Cheers,

- Jordan

john 05141
01-03-2012, 02:53 AM
why the Government of the time took the risk, has never clearly been explained.
One of the key elements that inspired me to write the book was to set the record right.
Nick Sutton

Exactely!!
That is what I like to read. I am much more willing to read and accept this from someone who was actually there. Even from the very beginning to the very end.
I can hardly wait.

Of course I bought that book "Zu früh für die Zukunft" I speak fluently German, but is very hard to read this book in German. If it comes out in English I will buy a new copy. I have not finished it yet. So I need to hurry up so I can read Nick's book.

John

Dangermouse
01-05-2012, 09:25 AM
Great stuff Nick.

Can I put it on my Christmas list for 2012?

And can we have numbered editions, to match our VINs :)

Michael
01-05-2012, 01:53 PM
I will want an autographed copy :)

Michael
01-05-2012, 09:08 PM
But it would be twenty years before I summoned courage to watch the film. Until then I wouldn’t allow my dream to be shared or stolen by anyone, film watcher, car owner or enthusiast.
How could the pop corn audience understand the energy, determination and passion that resulted in the birth of the car named DeLorean?

I love this perspective, as I share it. Although I understand the affection of the Delorean/BTTF relationship, the BTTF aspect was a mere footnote in the history of the car after the fact. The Delorean history itself is what truly entices me, and the fearless vision even inspires me. I am obviously a fan of the car, but a fan of the story behind the car just as much.

Nick, I would like to offer my services as an illustrator if you like.

john 05141
01-06-2012, 04:51 AM
+ one

The BTTF has as much a as a foot-note value to the true story as the drugs.
Just hope they remain a footnote.

John

Kukem
01-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Nick, I just want to say that when this book hits the shelves, I will be there to scoop it up too. I loved that preview chapter and could feel the emotion that obviously exists in this work. I cannot wait, as with the others who have already posted before me, to read the completed book. Until then, I wait with eager anticipation.

nick sutton
01-07-2012, 05:25 AM
Thank you for all your comments.
The next stage in completing the book is to refine the words and tell the story with a readability factor without distorting the facts. This really is the difficult part. Please have patience – I’ll get there.
I 've spent three years researching the detail to ensure the accuracy of the story .This part of the project is complete and there is a significant amount of detail to tell. I’m confident that the reader of the completed work– DeLorean owner or otherwise -will take an interest in our little miracle at Dunmurry and the stories that unfolded before, during and after we stopped new car production.
The programme took over the lives of many people – I’m not alone in that category. Many of the young stars went on to bigger and greater things in Industry. For many others unemployment for many years was their reward for dedicating themselves to the achievement of the impossible.
The life of the manufacturing programme was only 12 months , we were in Receivership for about the same period of time. The book covers the period 1978 to 2005.
Please remember that without the movie BTTF our profile as a group of enthusiasts would significantly less than that it is today.It’s played a major role in keeping the image of the DeLorean Car alive.
When I finally got around to watching the film – my first action was to check the shut lines on the doors and hood. After all those years you’d think it didn’t matter any more – but it does.

Nick Sutton

Domi
01-07-2012, 07:26 AM
Thank you for sharing this chapter Nick.
Keep up the good job :thumbup2:

Michael
01-07-2012, 09:46 AM
Please remember that without the movie BTTF our profile as a group of enthusiasts would significantly less than that it is today.It’s played a major role in keeping the image of the DeLorean Car alive.
Nick Sutton

Oh I don't deny for a minute the impact of BTTF on the Delorean culture and popularity. My point was that not every Delorean owner/enthusiast centers their love of the car around the movie. I was a fan of the car the moment I saw the prototype in a magazine ad. When I got older, I began reading the history of the car and never really stopped..of course that desire to learn hit turbo boost after I got mine 3 years ago.

For me, it wasn't the movie that got me interested, or kept me interested, It's this history and the era in which it was set that makes the Delorean story so interesting. The movie mearly kept the general puplic's interest peaked and kept the prices higher so it would not be until I was 37 years old that I finally had the scratch to plunk down on a Delorean.....so the movie I could take or leave.

nick sutton
01-07-2012, 09:55 AM
Michael,

In that case you'll be pleased to hear that it's only mentioned once in the book. It would be wrong to omit it from the script. The fact that the movie was released in 1985 and it took me twenty years to watch the film is an indication of how badly I then felt about the whole affair.

Due to several major events that changed my view I am now able to watch the movie without holding the hand of a psychologist!
Nick

John U
01-09-2012, 03:58 PM
I will want an autographed copy :)

add me to the autographed copy list! :thumbup2:

nick sutton
01-22-2012, 06:50 AM
During the research for the book I've come across a significant amount of history regarding the plant , the people and Lotus Cars.

In this last category I spent several months researching the Hethel Lotus site where the DeLorean car was designed, developed and tested. Hethel airfield was a USAAF base in world war II.

The attached photograph was taken on the site.

There is significantly more detail in the book.

Copyright to the photograph is Mr Fred Squires Chairman of the 389th Bomb Group Historical Society and an enthusiast in keeping the memory of the USAAF based at Hethel alive.

Nick Sutton

ssdelorean
01-28-2012, 11:29 AM
Looking forward to reading the rest of the book when completed!

It is great to have as many people as we do who actually were there during the inception & production of our cars who are involved/active the DeLorean community as we do. Thank you Nick for participating and sharing your knowledge & experiences. It gives me (and I'm sure others) a closer connection to the car I (we) love.

nick sutton
01-29-2012, 04:05 AM
On the 29th January 1982 the Managing Director of DeLorean Motor Cars Ltd, Don Lander, announced that 1100 jobs at the factory would have to go. The balance of the workforce of 1400 were to go to short time working.This cut back also affected staff in the offices as well as operatives in the factory.They left DMCL's employment on the 12th February - a week before Receivership.

Many of those made redundant had started in July/August of the previous year to support the increase in production from 40 to 80 cars per day.

Despite what is read today about the amazement of the US sales team when they found that we had ramped up to this increased level, only five weeks previously the US were demanding the shipment of more cars at a higher rate and improved quality.

Nick Sutton

hassyfoto
02-10-2012, 08:31 PM
add me to the autographed copy list! :thumbup2:
I would like to say thanks for letting the members of the forum read a part of your book. I am looking forward to reading a signed copy of the book.
I appreciated the first hand account that you are writting about & find this extermely interesting.
Kirby (aka hassyfoto)

:thumbup:

nick sutton
02-11-2012, 03:29 AM
Thank you all for the kind comments and encouragement. I can’t guarantee that the book will be a master piece of English literature but I can promise that it will be like no other book written on the subject. There is a lot of new material and personal accounts of my time at the company telling the story of the determination of the workforce to make the impossible dream succeed.
Thirty years ago tomorrow one thousand one hundred workers left the factory in the first wave of redundancies having been given their notice of redundancy a week earlier. The redundancy programme included office staff, factory supervisors, QC people and management.
We were then just over a week away from Receivership. All expenditure had been stopped and we had been warned that to commit to any expense with the knowledge that we couldn’t pay was a civil if not criminal offence.
There was some support for the project in Parliament from MPs who had suppliers in their constituency but in general the public and government view of our venture was hostile. After all this was Northern Ireland not much sympathy from the man in the street to anything that came from this part of the world.
We struggled on regardless to finish cars using material already in stock or by cannibalising cars for parts.

In another ten days things would change completely.

nick sutton
02-19-2012, 08:44 AM
Sir Kenneth Cork arrived at the DeLorean factory in Dunmurry early morning of the 19th February 1982. His mission was to announce in person, the statement that was to be broadcast from the House of Commons at 11.00 am. This was that DMCL in Northern Ireland was to enter Receivership.
He was met at the factory by Shaun Harte the most senior of the Directors then on site – two other Senior Directors were in the US having travelled a week or so earlier; now with John DeLorean, planning the future, working on the response to the announcement to be made in Parliament
Sir Kenneth gathered the senior management and Union officials in the Training Building to make his speech which was brief. He hoped that there would be a future for the company but at a reduced scale of operations.
In the DeLorean offices in Coventry – three hundred miles away – we were unaware of the announcement made by Sir Kenneth.
Someone brought in their radio so we could listen to the planned announcement in Parliament by James Prior Secretary of State for Northern Ireland. After prayers in the House of Commons the business started. Reading of The Dogs (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill came first on the agenda of the day – as it should of course. Then James Prior stood to speak.
He announced that DMCL would enter Receivership – at least it wasn’t closure as we’d thought – a huge relief. That would come eight months later. Within hours we were asked to asset label the desks, photocopy machine and anything that had value.
Photographs of the DeLorean Car on the office wall disappeared within minutes, anything of value to the Receiver remained to closure.
There would be a silence and lack of activity for a few weeks whilst we recorded our activity over the last three years compiling data for the Receiver on what we had spent and to whom – records I hold to this day.
But what would happen next?
Nick Sutton

nick sutton
02-25-2012, 10:18 AM
Sometime early last year I was approached by a man who had just purchased a gold coloured Volvo 264. It was in poor condition. But there was evidence that the car had been used at Lotus during the DeLorean period. Having failed to get any information from Lotus Cars regarding the Volvo's history he contacted me. The only thing I could recall about the model is that I had sales brochure of the Volvo 264 in pristine condition. It had been in my garage for almost thirty years - why I had it is a mystery but it came from my office at DeLorean.

Then late last year I spoke to Paul Fricker who had worked on the Delorean in particular the PRV engine. He told me that Lotus had purchased a Volvo as a comparator in fuel economy. Eventually he sent me some photographs- one of them had a gold Volvo in the background. The photograph was taken in the Lotus DeLorean Hangar at Hethel. This is attached.

Still not full evidence that it was the same car until a few weeks ago. The glove box had been locked for thirty years and the new owner had managed to open the compartment.

Inside was a map. I'll post it later.

Nick Sutton8620

Sidaries
02-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Still not full evidence that it was the same car until a few weeks ago. The glove box had been locked for thirty years and the new owner had managed to open the compartment.

Nick Sutton

I wait for it.

ccurzio
02-25-2012, 03:54 PM
Oh I don't deny for a minute the impact of BTTF on the Delorean culture and popularity. My point was that not every Delorean owner/enthusiast centers their love of the car around the movie. I was a fan of the car the moment I saw the prototype in a magazine ad.

Minor derail, but this smacks hard of "I was into (thing) BEFORE it was cool."

Anyway, of course not every owner associates their getting a DeLorean with BTTF, but a largely significant number of owners do. And when you think about it, they made the car into the star of not one but three Hollywood blockbusters. Because of BTTF, millions upon millions of additional people know what the DMC-12 is and without it, it would have ended up being a minor automotive curiosity known pretty much only to enthusiasts. JZD himself wrote to the production team of BTTF to thank them and tell them how much he enjoyed the movie.

That being on par with the drugs thing? No comparison at all. Nobody has any clue what happened. Not a single person I've met has ever gotten the story right; I've heard everything from "yeah he got busted selling cocaine and that's why the company went under" to "he's still in prison for those possession charges and doing coke". But at the same time, everyone knows that the DeLorean time vehicle was built by Doc Brown, had a flux capacitor, and goes to 88 to travel through time.

I'm sorry, but the BTTF contribution is far more meaningful and significant than a simple "footnote", and to claim otherwise is dishonest, especially to the DeLorean community.

Dangermouse
02-25-2012, 04:53 PM
8620[/ATTACH]

aarrgghhh. Pirates of the DeLoribean.

jawn101
02-26-2012, 01:23 PM

Nick Sutton8620

Nick, this is turning into quite the cliffhanger!

DMCH James
02-28-2012, 12:02 PM
Aha! When you sent that photo to me, I mentioned to you it might be the same one that was recently covered in "DeLorean World" magazine! Looking forward to see the map, too!

James

Sometime early last year I was approached by a man who had just purchased a gold coloured Volvo 264. It was in poor condition. But there was evidence that the car had been used at Lotus during the DeLorean period. Having failed to get any information from Lotus Cars regarding the Volvo's history he contacted me. The only thing I could recall about the model is that I had sales brochure of the Volvo 264 in pristine condition. It had been in my garage for almost thirty years - why I had it is a mystery but it came from my office at DeLorean.

Then late last year I spoke to Paul Fricker who had worked on the Delorean in particular the PRV engine. He told me that Lotus had purchased a Volvo as a comparator in fuel economy. Eventually he sent me some photographs- one of them had a gold Volvo in the background. The photograph was taken in the Lotus DeLorean Hangar at Hethel. This is attached.

Nick Sutton8620

nick sutton
03-01-2012, 01:36 PM
And here it is8705
courtesy Omar buyer of the Gold Volvo used at Lotus in the development of the DeLorean

jawn101
03-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Maybe I'm the only one but I don't fully grasp the significance of the highlighted areas. Obviously Norwich is Lotus HQ, but what were they doing at those three points? Was it a driving route?

nick sutton
04-01-2012, 05:47 AM
Just a few more lines to write. James Espey has kindly offered his services in proof reading. Not long to go now.Next step to find a publisher.
Nick Sutton

dvonk
04-01-2012, 11:29 PM
bravo! :aniclap:

nick sutton
04-10-2012, 03:22 AM
After three marathon sittings I have finished the book. James Espey is proof reading which in itself is a mammoth task. I have contacted three publishers and sent drafts of the book for their review.

I'm also talking to the media to dramatise the story.

I'll keep you posted as to progress.

Nick Sutton

Domi
04-10-2012, 03:25 AM
Good job, thank you :)

Dangermouse
04-17-2012, 03:56 PM
Looking forward to it.

nick sutton
05-20-2012, 02:00 PM
I have received an offer to publish the book - I'm giving this some thought over the next few days.

Martyn
05-20-2012, 03:29 PM
Good stuff.
Keep us posted

DMCVegas
05-30-2012, 12:03 AM
Maybe I'm the only one but I don't fully grasp the significance of the highlighted areas. Obviously Norwich is Lotus HQ, but what were they doing at those three points? Was it a driving route?

I'm at a bit of a loss on this one too.

The Center item near the junction of the A11 & B1135 appears to be the Lotus Plant.

Left item is the Barnham Broom Country Club.

Right item is the village of Stoke Holy Cross.

The distance between the two isn't exactly the same, with perhaps a mile and a half of difference. If I was a betting man I'd say that this was a map drawn for a visitor who wasn't familiar with the area, and would have been behind the wheel of that car. Specifically it looks like they needed to find their way between Lodging in Stoke Holy Cross, meetings at Group Lotus, and drinks at Barnham Broom Country Club. But that's just my guess...

nick sutton
06-23-2012, 05:44 AM
During my research for “Flight of the DeLorean “ I wanted to trace the names and faces of the attendees at the groundbreaking ceremony for the factory that took place on 2nd October 1978. I have managed – with the help of others- to identify most of those present. Just one face to go and I’ve got the complete set.

Canon Padraig Murphy was one person that was invited to the ceremony, he represented the Catholic Church of West Belfast which included the parishes of Twinbrook, Suffolk, Falls, Divis, Andersonstown and Ballymurphy. He is shown on the left of the picture to the rear of John DeLorean.

Unemployment in West Belfast at the time was rife with dire poverty of a kind not usually found in a Western country.

To assist the under privileged, the sick and homeless Mother Teresa (of Calcutta ) based herself in the area with four other Sisters of Mercy her presence didn’t go down well with Canon Murphy so after 18 months she was forced out of the area and onwards to other impoverished areas of the world.
The headlines in the local Andersonstown News following her despatch was:-
“ Nuns fired by Canon “ Priceless!

Mother Teresa had the last laugh as she was beatified by the Pope the first step to Sainthood

Photo copyright of Matt SommerATTACH=CONFIG]11356[/ATTACH]11356

Jeremy Popp
06-25-2012, 03:13 PM
Interesting bit of information Nick, Thanks. I talked to you at length about the upcoming book at the Delorean Car Show a few weeks ago, sounds very promising. I'm greatful that you are so active in the DMC community, and willing to share so much information.

Jeremy

nick sutton
06-26-2012, 05:24 PM
Thank you Jeremy - yes I remember our conversation.I'll keep you and others informed regarding the publication date. I assure you the book will be very different to all other books you have read on the subject of DeLorean Motor Cars.
Nick Sutton

Domi
06-26-2012, 05:45 PM
Any idea of the release date approximately?

nick sutton
06-27-2012, 01:47 PM
Hi Domi,

The publisher reckons January 2013 - which will be 30 years after I left the factory for the last time.

Domi
06-27-2012, 03:04 PM
Thank you very much for your answer :)

Dangermouse
06-27-2012, 07:17 PM
I have to ask - published in Belfast or the US?

nick sutton
06-29-2012, 02:27 PM
Hi Dermot,

Published in England but available in the US and other countries. I sent tje manuscript to ten publishers including two in Northern Ireland - didn't get a reply from either of them. Haymes were really very professional and it's with them that I concluded the deal.

regards and keep well

Nick

john 05141
07-12-2012, 03:28 AM
I am looking forward to this.

I'd like an authographed copy too.....

John

AugustneverEnds
08-08-2012, 12:59 PM
What a fascinating project! Bravo Mr. Sutton! I can't wait to place an order for your work. I think it's brilliant someone who spent so many years working towards one goal and then had to suffer for others mistakes can find the gumption to relive the whole experience so we can learn what it was like. You are a very noble man Mr. Sutton, thanks for undertaking this work. Ever since I heard some interviews with Mr. George Crane and read the "Job For Jesus" article in Car & Driver I have seen the car as much more than stainless steel panels and a reflection of John Z. It really is a testament to what people were suffering through in Northern Ireland at the time and what a dose of hope could mean to an entire country.

nick sutton
08-11-2012, 02:35 AM
Thank you for the comments. Writing the book has been a difficult journey. Firstly to ensure it was historically accurate - which in itself is very difficult after so many years. Secondly, to portray scenario of Northern Ireland in the late 70's early 80s accurately.

The book won't be to everyone's taste but it’s my view from my historical hill. It’s maybe not what DeLorean enthusiasts are expecting to read.

Thanks again for the support - the book will be out in February.

I have spent the last two weeks checking and rechecking the data (and there's plenty of it).

Nick Sutton

nick sutton
08-11-2012, 05:26 AM
Reading the thread again reminded me that 30years ago next week Margaret Thatcher's cabinet reviewed the reconstruction plan offered by a UK Consortium. The plan was to restart production of the DMC12 in lower volumes together with the introduction of another car.

For reasons only known to Mrs Thatcher she vetoed the plan.

Domi
08-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Thanks again for the support - the book will be out in February.

That's a great news!

nick sutton
09-15-2012, 02:41 AM
This will be February next year. It will be for sale on the usual Amazon sites. The UK site is already up and running.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLorean-Story-cars-people-scandal/dp/0857333143/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1347691024&sr=1-7

Nick Sutton

Domi
09-15-2012, 04:59 AM
I ordered mine, thanks!

Jeremy Popp
09-17-2012, 02:32 PM
This will be February next year. It will be for sale on the usual Amazon sites. The UK site is already up and running.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLorean-Story-cars-people-scandal/dp/0857333143/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1347691024&sr=1-7

Nick Sutton

Looking forward to placing an Amazon order when the US website is taking orders. Thanks!

Dangermouse
09-17-2012, 03:05 PM
I think you can also order directly from the publisher:

http://www.foyles.co.uk/item/Transport/The-DeLorean-Story-The-Car-the-People-the-Scandal,Nick-Sutton-9780857333148

who seem to offer US delivery.

Nick, is there an option to order an autographed one, or should we just buy it from Foyles/Amazon and than stalk, I mean meet, you at the next DCS?

nick sutton
09-18-2012, 01:50 PM
Dermot,

It would be nice to talk to you again at another show and I'd be honoured to sign the book for you. Not sure how this is done remotely must ask the publisher - I'm just hoping they don't have a thirty day return policy!!

regards

Nick

nick sutton
09-30-2012, 10:51 AM
An extract from the book painting the picture of what was to come for John DeLorean

'Knowing the end game was near James Prior asked Sir Kenneth Cork to wrap up the DeLorean business quickly and without fuss. On 1 October, not knowing that a storm was brewing on the other side of the Atlantic with the FBI and the sting operation, Sir Kenneth hurried John DeLorean for a credible plan. It’s clear that the receiver was unaware of the events taking place behind the scenes in the US and the UK as he fought to save the factory, keeping all the doors and all the options open until the last moment.
In the US other battles were being fought, including, for President Reagan, one that was close to his heart: the war on drugs. On 2 October at 12.06pm the President made his weekly radio broadcast from Camp David:

Nick

DMCH James
10-15-2012, 04:41 PM
I'm working with Nick on a plan to get him to sign a number of books and have them shipped to the states for sale through either DMC (Texas) or the DeLorean Museum site. It's going to come down to the costs of shipping 50-100 copies from the publisher to Nick, then from Nick to the states. I'll keep everyone posted here...

James

nick sutton
11-16-2012, 12:48 PM
DeLorean Motor Cars Limited finished its short life when a winding order was accepted by the High Court in Belfast on 10 November 1982 - 30 years ago last Saturday. All remaining employees contracts were transferred to a new company DSQ Property Services Ltd.

andyd
11-16-2012, 02:48 PM
Hi Nick,

Who or what was DSQ Property Services Ltd?

Cheers

andy

nick sutton
11-17-2012, 03:06 AM
SorryI forgot to mention DSQ property Services was a shelf company used by the Receiver to continue trading whilst the rest of the company was placed into liquidation.

andyd
11-17-2012, 12:19 PM
Thanks nick, am looking forward to getting the book. I have exhausted most readily available printed matter on the subject!

andy

andyd
11-17-2012, 12:25 PM
Thanks nick, am looking forward to getting the book. I have exhausted most readily available printed matter on the subject!

andy

nick sutton
11-18-2012, 05:59 AM
Andy,
This book is very different to any other DeLorean book on the market - all of them are a good read and see John DeLorean and the factory from their viewpoint. This is my view from my hill as someone directly involved from the start in building the factory and car until the very end. Also some insight from my time as a Director of Lotus Cars.

nick sutton
11-22-2012, 02:21 PM
The book starts its print run in the US this week. The book cover is attached.
Nick Sutton

Domi
11-22-2012, 03:14 PM
Sounds good!

Jeremy Popp
11-26-2012, 02:45 PM
The book starts its print run in the US this week. The book cover is attached.
Nick Sutton

Cover looks really nice and professional. Can't wait to read it.

Dangermouse
11-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Mods,

could I suggest that the title of this thread be modified to

The DeLorean Story - The Car, The People, The Scandal (Previously "Flight of the DeLorean")

with Nick's permission, of course, to bring it better in line with the revised book title?

DeLorean Museum
11-26-2012, 06:06 PM
Great news! Signed copies of the book will be available for pre-order this weekend via The DeLorean Museum! Since the book doesn't get released until Feb 7, everyone who pre-orders will get a gift card that can be given as a "placeholder" for holiday gift giving until the books are ready to ship on February 7, 2013.

Stay tuned for more details...

Sarah

Ron
11-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Mods,

could I suggest that the title of this thread be modified to

The DeLorean Story - The Car, The People, The Scandal (Previously "Flight of the DeLorean")

with Nick's permission, of course, to bring it better in line with the revised book title?
Not a problem at all!

...it's up to you Nick?

nick sutton
11-30-2012, 03:02 AM
No problem - I'll work on this later today

Nick

john 05141
11-30-2012, 03:21 AM
Do orders from Belgium have to be done over the US as well?
I'd like a signed copy too.....

I normally buy bookd to read during summer holidays, but I cannot wait to start with this one.

Jan

nick sutton
11-30-2012, 12:19 PM
Hi John,

you can probably buy this in your local book store or order it on line from Amazon or others. Only US buyers have their book shipped from the US. Signed copy? Not sure how I can do that - but I'll give this some thought.

regards and thanks for the interest.

Nick

DeLorean Museum
12-03-2012, 07:45 PM
SIGNED COPIES of the book are now available for PRE-ORDER from The DeLorean Museum at this link:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=LBC7ANH4TVGLG

Price of the book is $30 plus shipping by USPS Priority Mail ($7 for the first book, $5 for the second).

As the book will not be released until February 7th, everyone who pre-orders from the Museum will receive a nice card with the cover of the book, and a note that it will be shipped immediately upon release by the publisher. So, if you want to give (or receive) one for Christmas or a birthday between now and then, you'll still have something to hand the recipient on the special day.

All proceeds from the sales of the book go directly to the treasury of The DeLorean Museum, a nonprofit corporation. Funds from the treasury are used strictly for the acquisition of memorabilia and supplies necessary to protect and preserve the existing items in the Museum collection (and in this instance to purchase these books from Nick for re-sale).

Questions? Let me know!

Sarah Heasty
Museum Volunteer and owner of #2932

DeLorean Museum
12-12-2012, 04:25 PM
Only a few dozen copies left - it's not too late to order!

Sarah

John U
12-12-2012, 04:44 PM

Sarah

Sent you a pm about ordering but no response....
Paypal doesn't calculate shipping to Canada. Can you change this on your paypal page or can you send me a paypal invoice for the book plus shipping to Canada?

thanks
John

refugeefromcalif
12-12-2012, 05:41 PM

Sarah

I ordered my copy. :)

George

nick sutton
12-13-2012, 12:50 PM
I ordered my copy. :)

George

The DeLorean Story
The Car, The People, The scandal

Contents
Chapter 1 Hero to villain in four years
Chapter 2 London and Belfast, 1978
Chapter 3 DMCL – a credible organisation
Chapter 4 Meet the family
Chapter 5 Lotus Cars and the USAAF at Hethel
Chapter 6 The first year
Chapter 7 The suppliers and the processes
Chapter 8 One step forward, one step back
Chapter 9 Delays and difficulties
Chapter 10 The first cars – and the smell of success
Chapter 11 The IRA hunger strikes
Chapter 12 Staff expansion and the visit of a legend
Chapter 13 Life in the factory and the darker side of Belfast
Chapter 14 Gold cars and other dreams
Chapter 15 Doubling production and the episode of the gold taps
Chapter 16 Golden October to white December: cracks appear
Chapter 17 Dark winter days and receivership
Chapter 18 Recovery plans and employee number 21
Chapter 19 Margaret Thatcher’s challenging year
Chapter 20 Recording the deceit
Chapter 21 Closure and Colin Chapman’s last days
Chapter 22 Sunken treasure, trials, fines, finances and fiascos
Chapter 23 After closure

Rich W
12-13-2012, 01:20 PM
The DeLorean Story
The Car, The People, The scandal

Contents
Chapter 1 Hero to villain in four years
Chapter 2 London and Belfast, 1978
Chapter 3 DMCL – a credible organisation
Chapter 4 Meet the family
Chapter 5 Lotus Cars and the USAAF at Hethel
Chapter 6 The first year
Chapter 7 The suppliers and the processes
Chapter 8 One step forward, one step back
Chapter 9 Delays and difficulties
Chapter 10 The first cars – and the smell of success
Chapter 11 The IRA hunger strikes
Chapter 12 Staff expansion and the visit of a legend
Chapter 13 Life in the factory and the darker side of Belfast
Chapter 14 Gold cars and other dreams
Chapter 15 Doubling production and the episode of the gold taps
Chapter 16 Golden October to white December: cracks appear
Chapter 17 Dark winter days and receivership
Chapter 18 Recovery plans and employee number 21
Chapter 19 Margaret Thatcher’s challenging year
Chapter 20 Recording the deceit
Chapter 21 Closure and Colin Chapman’s last days
Chapter 22 Sunken treasure, trials, fines, finances and fiascos
Chapter 23 After closure

Nick,

I can hardly wait to see the release of your work. Thanks again for a brief preview of some draft text earlier this year
and a limited preview of some of the historical photos you planned to include in the book as well. All of it fascinating.

For those of you who enjoy hearing all the background stories of the DeLorean saga and enjoy seeing historical photos
about how the DeLorean Company and Car came to being a reality, from start to finish, this book will be a "must buy".

Good Luck with the book release and I hope you make another visit here to the US sometime in the near future.

Thanks,
Rich W.

MTDMC
12-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Hi Nick,

Will copies of your book be sold at local book stores here in the US?

Matt

nick sutton
12-14-2012, 01:34 PM
Hi Nick,

Will copies of your book be sold at local book stores here in the US?

Matt

Yes from all major book sellers on line or in store. Also available in France , Germany, Belgium , Holland, Italy, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, Japan and Brazil and a few other countries.
Thanks for the interest.
Nick

Domi
12-14-2012, 02:16 PM
SIGNED COPIES of the book are now available for PRE-ORDER from The DeLorean Museum at this link:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=LBC7ANH4TVGLG

Price of the book is $30 plus shipping by USPS Priority Mail ($7 for the first book, $5 for the second).

Questions? Let me know!

Sarah Heasty
Museum Volunteer and owner of #2932

Shipping calculation doesn't work for France shipping.
Any idea why?

nick sutton
12-14-2012, 03:01 PM
Shipping calculation doesn't work for France shipping.
Any idea why?

Domi,
If you buy the book in France and send it to me I'll sign it with pleasure and post it back - will that work?

Nick

nick sutton
12-14-2012, 03:05 PM
Nick,

I can hardly wait to see the release of your work. Thanks again for a brief preview of some draft text earlier this year
and a limited preview of some of the historical photos you planned to include in the book as well. All of it fascinating.

For those of you who enjoy hearing all the background stories of the DeLorean saga and enjoy seeing historical photos
about how the DeLorean Company and Car came to being a reality, from start to finish, this book will be a "must buy".

Good Luck with the book release and I hope you make another visit here to the US sometime in the near future.

Thanks,
Rich W.

Thank you Rich - I hope that the fresh appraoch to the DeLorean story from someone working for the company and involved from start to finish will justify the amazing achievement of building a car and a factory from nothing in 22 months.
Nick

Domi
12-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Domi,
If you buy the book in France and send it to me I'll sign it with pleasure and post it back - will that work?

Nick

I already pre order my book from Amazon.
So, I accept your offer with pleasure.
As soon as I will receive the book I will send it to you.
Feel free to PM me your home address, because I don't find your address in my facebook friend?
Thank You :)

John U
12-17-2012, 08:54 AM
Sent you a pm about ordering but no response....
Paypal doesn't calculate shipping to Canada. Can you change this on your paypal page or can you send me a paypal invoice for the book plus shipping to Canada?

thanks
John

Still no response.....
Guess I will order it from Amazon....

DeLorean Museum
12-17-2012, 11:31 AM
Still no response.....
Guess I will order it from Amazon....

John, for some reason I am not getting notifications of PM's or new postings here in this thread. If you are still interested in one, send me an email at "[email protected]" with your complete mailing address I will get you an Paypal invoice today.

Sarah

John U
12-20-2012, 02:01 PM
John, for some reason I am not getting notifications of PM's or new postings here in this thread. If you are still interested in one, send me an email at "[email protected]" with your complete mailing address I will get you an Paypal invoice today.

Sarah

email sent a few days ago....still no response

nick sutton
12-30-2012, 08:55 AM
This is the link to the Belfast Telegraph's review of the cabinet papers following their release under the 30 year rule:1982

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/tycoon-deloreanrsquos-regrets-as-car-dream-crashed-16255242.html

The article refers to a statement regarding John's optimism for the company in December 1981. This was given in his first meeting with James Prior Secretary of State - John told him that everything in the company was in order.

The public stock offering to be launched by Bache Halsey Stuart Shield in January - having been postponed from October - was due to be issued in the first weeks of the New Year. But the plan fell apart when the brokerage firm pulled the plug due to poor sales of the DeLorean and high stocks of cars - the stock offering fell apart. John then had no option but to declare that the company was insolvent.

The Conservative Government was unwilling to throw any further money at the project but felt the need to further support Harland and Wolff (then nationalised) and other companies with further grants(details of cabinet discussions also released under the 30 year rule).

John's demise through the FBI drugs bust suited the UK and US Governments very nicely - from that time he was abonded by everyone.The UK government could now support other ailing industries both in Northern Ireland and in England without being accused of religious or political bias.

nick sutton
01-10-2013, 01:33 PM
This is the link to buying the book on line from Amazon US:

http://www.amazon.com/Delorean-Story-Nick-Sutton/dp/0857333143/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357842405&sr=8-1&keywords=the+delorean+story

Nick Sutton

John U
01-10-2013, 09:35 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Delorean-Story-Nick-Sutton/dp/0857333143/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357842405&sr=8-1&keywords=the+delorean+story

Nick Sutton

Thanks Nick,
I would prefer a signed copy but I guess I will have to order from Amazon

John

nick sutton
01-11-2013, 08:33 AM
Hi John,

You maybe able to geta signed copy from Sarah at the Delorean Museum. I know they are (will be) available in the US but I'm not sure about Canada.

Contact Sarah and ask.

regards

Nick

John U
01-11-2013, 08:42 AM
I've been trying to contact her through PM and email with no replies

Chris 16409
01-13-2013, 07:29 PM

Nick Sutton

Hi Nick, do you know when the US Amazon site will start allowing us to pre-order the book? The UK site is already accepting pre-orders.

nick sutton
01-15-2013, 02:00 PM
Hi Nick, do you know when the US Amazon site will start allowing us to pre-order the book? The UK site is already accepting pre-orders.

I don't know but I'll find out
Nick

Dangermouse
01-15-2013, 02:32 PM
Pre-Orderd mine off the UK amazon site. Couple of weeks to go.

Dangermouse
01-29-2013, 10:27 PM
Woo-hoo.

My copy has just shipped !!!!!

Albeit to my parents in Belfast before being sent on to me, but they are on their way.

Domi
01-30-2013, 02:55 PM
Not yet shipped for me.
Estimated delivery is expected around February 9th.
Let's be patient!

andyd
01-30-2013, 04:05 PM
Woo-hoo.

My copy has just shipped !!!!!

Yep, mine too! Did you get a sneaky peak at the photo's from the amazon link emailed to you??

Nice to whet the appetite!! Am reading a good book, but I can press pause on that when this comes thru the door... Any day now...!

a

andyd
02-01-2013, 07:29 PM
Just got it!

Devouring...!

a

neal
02-02-2013, 08:48 AM
I have not read a book on Delorean that gives so much Detail on the production of the car at Dunmurry and the going on’s till now.
A great read! A must read for all Delorean fans out there.

nick sutton
02-03-2013, 06:28 AM
attached sorry about the quality but I think its just readable
Nick1616016161

neal
02-03-2013, 11:37 AM
I have not read a book on Delorean that gives so much Detail on the production of the car at Dunmurry and the going on’s till now.
A great read! A must read for all Delorean fans out there.

All I wanted was the Truth to come out, and I found it in this Book. But who ever reads this book it's up to you to make your own mind up as to who is to Blame for the closure of the Factory.

dmfan2012
02-04-2013, 03:27 AM
I would like to order an autographed copy and am in the US - is this possible and how do I do it?

Dangermouse
02-04-2013, 11:51 AM
I would like to order an autographed copy and am in the US - is this possible and how do I do it?

See Post #1 of this very thread.

Kerichbe
02-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Received my copy today! An awesome read, recommended to anyone interested in the DeLorean history.

Domi
02-04-2013, 01:34 PM
Received mine today :)

neal
02-04-2013, 03:48 PM
Nick - this is really fantastic! I can't wait to read the rest... Keep up the great work!

Cheers,

- Jordan

Could There possible be a film made from the Book?

Chris 16409
02-04-2013, 03:51 PM
Just checked the US Amazon site. It says the book won't be released until March first. I guess I'll buy it on the UK site instead. It's $28.95 on the US site, which is about what it will cost to buy it and ship off the the UK site.

John U
02-04-2013, 04:17 PM
Anyone know when the signed copies will ship?

refugeefromcalif
02-04-2013, 05:36 PM
Anyone know when the signed copies will ship?

I'm waiting to hear about this also.

George

Dangermouse
02-04-2013, 06:01 PM
I wonder if the US issue on Amazon is "translated" into US English?

andyd
02-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Photo teaser! Sroll down for some nice hi res photo spreads from the book

here -->

http://deloreaneurotec.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2893&sid=ede3c90cd88a3a7c63687c402922681f&start=20

Jeremy Popp
02-05-2013, 01:48 PM
Photo teaser! Sroll down for some nice hi res photo spreads from the book
here -->
http://deloreaneurotec.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2893&sid=ede3c90cd88a3a7c63687c402922681f&start=20

Very cool, thanks for the link. I just pre-ordered it from US amazon.com.

dmfan2012
02-05-2013, 06:51 PM
See Post #1 of this very thread.

I didn't see anything about ordering an autographed copy in the first post of the thread - maybe I missed something?

Dangermouse
02-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Sorry, that should have said Post 81

dmfan2012
02-05-2013, 08:33 PM
Sorry, that should have said Post 81

Went to post 81 and clicked on the PayPal order link but it said the DeLorean Museum is sold out of signed copies. Hopefully more will be for sale once the book is released!

sdg3205
02-05-2013, 09:54 PM
Nick,

Sounds like your book is flying off the shelves! Still waiting for availability from amazon.

Dangermouse
02-06-2013, 02:45 PM
A little radio spot from Nick in Belfast, talking about his book

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01qh748

Starts at 48:39 for those not interested in the UK news

Rich W
02-07-2013, 01:25 PM
A little radio spot from Nick in Belfast, talking about his book

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01qh748

Starts at 48:39 for those not interested in the UK news

Thanks for the link. More than worth the few minutes it took to listen in.

Of Course, it was too short (since I love hearing all of Nick's Factory Stories), but a very interesting interview.

I think the best story in the interview was the guy "working injured from a wheelbarrow" in the factory.

Thanks,
Rich W.

SamHill
02-12-2013, 12:28 PM
Is the availability date being rolled back continuously? We're up to April 1 for Amazon in the US now.

refugeefromcalif
02-12-2013, 05:49 PM
Got my signed copy in the mail today!
Can't wait to start reading it tomorrow.

George

dmc4087
02-12-2013, 05:52 PM
Its an excellent read, highly recommended.

mluder
02-12-2013, 06:47 PM
I orderd my copy today as well. Nick said he was going to cjeck with the publisher regarding the release date being pushed back.

Cheers
Steven

DMC02766
02-14-2013, 04:07 PM
This is a really great read! I got mine this week and am about halfway through it so far. Nick really goes the extra mile in the book to make you feel like you are living the events with him as he experienced them. Huge amounts of detail have been put into it. I highly recommend getting a copy if you haven't already.. in fact, I believe I will be getting a second copy to keep with my car for when I take it to car shows.

nick sutton
02-17-2013, 06:56 AM
Regardless of what you see on the Amazon site the launch date in the US is 22 February.

Happy reading.

Nick Sutton

Chris 16409
02-17-2013, 05:08 PM
Just to clarify, there is no difference between the book for sale in the UK vs in the US correct?

nick sutton
02-18-2013, 02:19 AM
Just to clarify, there is no difference between the book for sale in the UK vs in the US correct?

Correct no difference.
Nick

ccurzio
02-18-2013, 08:55 AM
Actually in the US they changed the title to John DeLorean and the sorcerer's stone.

Cory W
02-18-2013, 10:51 AM
Actually in the US they changed the title to John DeLorean and the sorcerer's stone.

:hysterical:

I ordered through a UK seller on amazon.ca, as it wasn't available directly through them yet. It arrived last Monday...it only took a week!

My father is almost done with it, then it's my turn (he only reads it during his four hour dialysis sessions, thrice a week) He's thoroughly enjoying it so far.

Dangermouse
02-18-2013, 11:00 AM
Correct no difference.
Nick

I note my jacket is priced in both pounds and dollars.

I thought they would have changed the spelling?

now, that's funny right there :)

My copy arrived at the weekend, via NI. One of the reasons I sent it to my family back home was to see if the Dunmurry post office would frank the book on the flyleaf with a “Dunmurry” post mark. (So both my car and the book would then have been there). I was planning to get Nick to sign it also at some point in the future. But they weren’t allowed to do that, and I’m not sure they even have a ‘Dunmurry’ one anymore. The outside wrapper, just had “Royal Mail” on it. (cost $15 to mail, btw).

On the customs form, my mom declared the contents to be a “History Book” :thumbup2:

She also included the Sunday Times article that Nick mentioned earlier.

Chris 16409
02-22-2013, 12:22 PM
Well, I ordered my copy from the US Amazon site. It's on sale for $19.11, which is a better deal then importing it from the UK. With what Nick said, it should ship today (the 22nd), even though my account says it should be delivered by April 3rd!

nick sutton
02-22-2013, 12:41 PM
Well, I ordered my copy from the US Amazon site. It's on sale for $19.11, which is a better deal then importing it from the UK. With what Nick said, it should ship today (the 22nd), even though my account says it should be delivered by April 3rd!

I'll check again - this delay by Amazon in updating their web site is really frustrating

Nick

cybercusp
02-22-2013, 12:43 PM
Ordered my copy.

OverlandMan
02-22-2013, 03:36 PM
I'll check again - this delay by Amazon in updating their web site is really frustrating

Nick

Thanks Nick. I ordered mine earlier this month too and received the delay notice a week or two ago. So you're saying the US customers who pre-ordered via Amazon should receive their books in the next few days?

DrJeff
02-22-2013, 03:45 PM
Regardless of what you see on the Amazon site the launch date in the US is 22 February.

Happy reading.

Nick Sutton

Hi Nick,

I just finished the book this evening. It was a great read. Between the descriptions and the photos it made the DeLorean endeavour feel more real. I lived in N.Ireland at the time in Derry and your descriptions of the troubles brought back memories, in particular the bin lids.

Best of Luck
Jeff

nick sutton
02-22-2013, 04:04 PM
Hi Nick,

I just finished the book this evening. It was a great read. Between the descriptions and the photos it made the DeLorean endeavour feel more real. I lived in N.Ireland at the time in Derry and your descriptions of the troubles brought back memories, in particular the bin lids.

Best of Luck
Jeff

Thank you for your comments.Bin lids (trash can lids) had many uses during the Troubles- noise purveyors, gladiator shields and eventually they found their way back to the top of dust bins.The late 1970's and early 80's were very dark days in Nortern Ireland; the job we had was difficult in itself if not impossible but the local community made the whole thing happen - at least for a while. It was truly a magnificent effort - and we almost made it work. The fact that it didn't was beyond the hands of those working at DMC or the local civil servants. If you've read the book you'll know the answer to why the dream was destroyed.

regards

Nick

nick sutton
02-23-2013, 04:08 AM
Nick,

Sounds like your book is flying off the shelves! Still waiting for availability from amazon.

Dave - even today I'm trying to get the date changed - the book is available at Amazon US but the site says differently - this is like pushing the proverbial uphill. I'll keep in touch.
regards and thank you for the interest
Nick

nick sutton
02-25-2013, 08:54 AM
Amazon have changed the date of availability to 1st March.

Nick

Farrar
02-26-2013, 01:16 PM
I ordered mine from Amazon a little while ago. Hope to meet you some day to shake your hand and ask politely to autograph the book. :)

nick sutton
02-26-2013, 01:28 PM
I ordered mine from Amazon a little while ago. Hope to meet you some day to shake your hand and ask politely to autograph the book. :)

I look forward to that day
regards

Nick Sutton

mluder
02-26-2013, 02:19 PM
So... I had previously orderd a version from Amazon (who knows when it will ship) and today I see on Facebook that the DeLorean museum still has a few signed copies. Ordered up one of them too. Now I'll have a signed one for the archives and one to read the hell out of. Of course I'll probably get the signed one first so I may have a peek.

Thanks for telling the story, Nick.

Cheers
Steven

nick sutton
02-26-2013, 02:37 PM
So... I had previously orderd a version from Amazon (who knows when it will ship) and today I see on Facebook that the DeLorean museum still has a few signed copies. Ordered up one of them too. Now I'll have a signed one for the archives and one to read the hell out of. Of course I'll probably get the signed one first so I may have a peek.

Thanks for telling the story, Nick.

Cheers
Steven

No problem Steven
regards
Nick Sutton

SamHill
02-26-2013, 03:44 PM
Ordered. So when is your next appearance in the States?

nick sutton
02-26-2013, 03:57 PM
Ordered. So when is your next appearance in the States?

The Oscars are over - CNN have yet to contact me and the call from Oprah Winfrey is awaited with some anticipation. In short - I don't know when I'll be in the US next. Perhaps next year.

Nick

Chris 16409
02-27-2013, 10:31 PM
Just got an email from amazon informing me of the new ship date. I should be getting it soon!

Dangermouse
02-27-2013, 11:21 PM
The Oscars are over - CNN have yet to contact me and the call from Oprah Winfrey is awaited with some anticipation. In short - I don't know when I'll be in the US next. Perhaps next year.

Nick

DCS 2014, I hope :)

MTDMC
03-01-2013, 09:25 PM
Nick,

I checked with my local book store today. It's listed not available. Is it possible there is a delay for the shipment of books in the United States?

Matt

Jack
03-01-2013, 09:58 PM
Mine just shipped from amazon today.

DMCMW Dave
03-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Nick,

I checked with my local book store today. It's listed not available. .........

What's a book store? :hmm:

matt clark
03-02-2013, 07:47 AM
Got, and finished, my copy yesterday. Great read, Nick.

As someone who has voraciously read/watched all the 'good' DMC media - like Dream Maker, Stainless Steel Illusion and the Pennebaker film, it was fascinating to read your narrative from your perspective - and how it wove in and out of all the other big events mentioned in the other books/films. One thing your book does well that the others only really alluded to was just how much stuff had to happen in order to get production moving, and how vast a task it was.

I work in the film industry and saw a lot of parallels there - you have an arbitrary shoot date to hit and a million intangible things have to be conjured into place that fit with everything else to make it happen on time. Sometimes it's impossible to plan, you just have to roll with it and make it happen. Feels like that was very much the case at DMC.

It was also great to read something that really extols the passion of the workforce - I think the car would be much less maligned if it was generally known how keen and willing the workforce was. The fact that the car ever existed at all is a minor miracle; in hindsight it's easy to forgive the various build quality issues that the car has. I loved how your book was free of hyperbole, and fair/balanced - particularly your point about how if Lotus were half-arsing it, as it has become fashionable to claim, then the car would never have been made! I've always felt that there were too many unsung heroes in the project - I tire greatly of the whole eulogising of JZD as though he built the car with his bare hands - and your book gives them the exposure they deserve.

You did a good job of pointing out the human cost of the whole thing, which again, I think is overlooked in the mainstream media for the sake of gags about cocaine and doors that don't work. It's a real triumph and tragedy, and as much as we all here love the car itself, I think the story is bigger than the end product.

Has Dick Brown ever spoken publicly about his time at DMC/how it ended? Obviously a great many people were done wrong by JZD, but Brown is interesting to me because JZD probably owed him more than any other individual in the whole project. I wonder if he was bitter, how he felt about the car in hindsight, etc.

Long story short - a fantastic book, and a perfect companion piece to the other bits out there. I only wish it were 1000 pages :)

MTDMC
03-02-2013, 10:30 AM
What's a book store? :hmm:

Barnes and Noble.

mluder
03-02-2013, 01:45 PM
Got my signed copy from the DMC Museum yesterday - Quick shipping it only took like 2 days.
My reader copy from Amazon also shipped. Looking forward to diving in.

Cheers
Steven

sdg3205
03-02-2013, 06:44 PM
I ordered 2 copies today; one for me and one for my father.

Very much looking forward to the read, Nick.

EDIT - folks, i noticed that the Amazon site has no feedback yet. Perhaps if you've written something here you could copy and paste it there to help facilitate the sale of the book to non-forum members? Just a thought!

Mike F
03-02-2013, 07:58 PM
Hi Nick-

Finished the book on Thursday night, just haven't been back on the forum. It was an absolutely fantastic read. :thumbup: To hear the story of the car and the company from your perspective - someone who was a significant part of bringing to life the car we love so much - was truly fascinating. Thanks so much for taking the time to write the book, and for all you did in making the DMC a reality!

If future plans bring you back to the US, I'd love the opportunity to thank you in person someday!

nick sutton
03-03-2013, 03:26 AM
I ordered 2 copies today; one for me and one for my father.

Very much looking forward to the read, Nick.

EDIT - folks, i noticed that the Amazon site has no feedback yet. Perhaps if you've written something here you could copy and paste it there to help facilitate the sale of the book to non-forum members? Just a thought!

Hi Dave,

Hi Dave I hope you enjoy the book and when you have finished if you feel anything requires clarification let me know
regards
Nick

nick sutton
03-03-2013, 03:35 AM
Hi Nick-

Finished the book on Thursday night, just haven't been back on the forum. It was an absolutely fantastic read. :thumbup: To hear the story of the car and the company from your perspective - someone who was a significant part of bringing to life the car we love so much - was truly fascinating. Thanks so much for taking the time to write the book, and for all you did in making the DMC a reality!

If future plans bring you back to the US, I'd love the opportunity to thank you in person someday!

Hi Mike, I'm glad you enjoyed the read. It was always going to be a difficult story to write given the legal aspects of the company's history, the hunger strike and also to ensure that I gave abalanced view of my ex colleagues. The acid test was always going to be the comments from those people that I worked with on the programme and to date - so far it's been very good.
Yes look forward to meeting you at a future DeLorean event.

regards

Nick Sutton

nick sutton
03-03-2013, 04:09 AM
Got, and finished, my copy yesterday. Great read, Nick.

As someone who has voraciously read/watched all the 'good' DMC media - like Dream Maker, Stainless Steel Illusion and the Pennebaker film, it was fascinating to read your narrative from your perspective - and how it wove in and out of all the other big events mentioned in the other books/films. One thing your book does well that the others only really alluded to was just how much stuff had to happen in order to get production moving, and how vast a task it was.

I work in the film industry and saw a lot of parallels there - you have an arbitrary shoot date to hit and a million intangible things have to be conjured into place that fit with everything else to make it happen on time. Sometimes it's impossible to plan, you just have to roll with it and make it happen. Feels like that was very much the case at DMC.

It was also great to read something that really extols the passion of the workforce - I think the car would be much less maligned if it was generally known how keen and willing the workforce was. The fact that the car ever existed at all is a minor miracle; in hindsight it's easy to forgive the various build quality issues that the car has. I loved how your book was free of hyperbole, and fair/balanced - particularly your point about how if Lotus were half-arsing it, as it has become fashionable to claim, then the car would never have been made! I've always felt that there were too many unsung heroes in the project - I tire greatly of the whole eulogising of JZD as though he built the car with his bare hands - and your book gives them the exposure they deserve.

You did a good job of pointing out the human cost of the whole thing, which again, I think is overlooked in the mainstream media for the sake of gags about cocaine and doors that don't work. It's a real triumph and tragedy, and as much as we all here love the car itself, I think the story is bigger than the end product.

Has Dick Brown ever spoken publicly about his time at DMC/how it ended? Obviously a great many people were done wrong by JZD, but Brown is interesting to me because JZD probably owed him more than any other individual in the whole project. I wonder if he was bitter, how he felt about the car in hindsight, etc.

Long story short - a fantastic book, and a perfect companion piece to the other bits out there. I only wish it were 1000 pages :)

Hi Matt,

Yes, there has been a significant amount of rubbish spoken and written about the DeLorean programme. Four years ago I thought that I should at least try and record my view of the DeLorean saga as witnessed from my hill. At the time I was disappointed that John only mentioned the factory and the “little miracle” in Dunmurry on a few pages in his autobiography. This was very sad, because for many in Belfast he is still believed to have been the second coming of the Messiah. It would have nice for him to recognise the massive contribution of the hourly paid employees who performed their tasks without complaint regardless of the time of day or the size of the challenge. Challenges of the like that will never be witnessed again in Industry.
There is no doubt that January 1981 was our last chance to continue operations at Dunmurry- superhuman effort was given by many in the factory - hourly paid, supervisors and managers. For some the incentive was pride and a determination not to fail for many others the intention was far more basic; that was to hold on the job of a lifetime, as no other chances were likely to come their way. And never did again.
Some of the first cars were bad - and we knew it- particularly the last batch of the Easter shipment.There was no choice but to meet the shipment deadline.
The book would have been much longer had time allowed.
I am delighted that you enjoyed the book and humbled by your kind comments.
Best wishes
Nick Sutton

By the way I failed to mention in the book that I married employee No 21 on Easter Saturday 1983

Farrar
03-03-2013, 12:05 PM
By the way I failed to mention in the book that I married employee No 21 on Easter Saturday 1983

Then allow me to wish you in advance a happy thirtieth anniversary, Mr Sutton. :)

ArnieBrandon
03-03-2013, 01:12 PM
Hi Mr. Sutton. Please check your Personal Message Inbox as I sent you an informative message a few days ago and still no comments.
Thank You.
Arnie

andyd
03-03-2013, 04:00 PM
Some of the first cars were bad - and we knew it- particularly the last batch of the Easter shipment.There was no choice but to meet the shipment deadline.

Any idea of vin no's in this batch Nick? Or is vin number of DeLoreans too far from strictly chronological to mean much when looking this "closely"? Approximately how many cars in a "batch"?

Thanks for the minutiae!

Andy

Farrar
03-03-2013, 05:30 PM
I'll write a review on Amazon as soon as I have read it and get the time to sit down and compose one. I hope this book sparks wider interest in the real story, not just a few cars and a few movies.

nick sutton
03-04-2013, 03:01 AM
Then allow me to wish you in advance a happy thirtieth anniversary, Mr Sutton. :)

Thank you I'll pass on the best wishes to number 21

nick sutton
03-04-2013, 03:01 AM
I'll write a review on Amazon as soon as I have read it and get the time to sit down and compose one. I hope this book sparks wider interest in the real story, not just a few cars and a few movies.

Thank you that would be great!

regards

Nick

Chris 16409
03-05-2013, 09:03 PM
Just got the book today. I was doing an initial thumb through and came across a little sheet that says "errata". Did anyone else notice this?

jawn101
03-05-2013, 09:24 PM
Just ordered mine as well. Looking forward to the read!

DMCflux
03-05-2013, 09:27 PM
I received my copy today from amazon and began reading. I read the entire book in one sitting. It was an amazing and informative read.

Dangermouse
03-05-2013, 10:19 PM
Just got the book today. I was doing an initial thumb through and came across a little sheet that says "errata". Did anyone else notice this?

Yes, I think they all have it. For some reason there are a few sentences just missing at the indicated pages.

I think it's kinda quaint. I'm sure with the second printing, they will fix these quirks.

DrJeff
03-05-2013, 10:25 PM
Errata... Yes my copy had it too... Missing paragraphs... strange error to make in printing

jawn101
03-05-2013, 10:41 PM
I think it's kinda quaint. I'm sure with the second printing, they will fix these quirks.

Awesome, it will go nicely with my two piece armrest extensions, gas flap hood and removable pull straps.

You guys with dark wheels, grey engine covers or sliding glass windows will get the even rarer "Proto 1" printing with a picture of a Fiero on the cover. :lol:

I haven't been this excited for a book since the second Kingkiller came out!

Chris 16409
03-05-2013, 10:58 PM
I'm sure with the second printing, they will fix these quirks.

Yay to to more valuable/rare first edition!

nick sutton
03-06-2013, 03:12 AM
Yay to to more valuable/rare first edition!

The printing mistakes were noticed when I received the first book just before Christmas; by this time the first run of 5,000 had been completed and ready to be shipped (by sea) to the UK from the USA. The release date of 7th February was set in stone due to PR activities and so on. I was asked by the publisher if they should proceed or delay the book - which could have added three months to the release date. I agreed that they should continue and joked that the first edition would always be regarded as the more valuable (you know the one with the missing words). It’s not a perfect situation and hope that it doesn't distract from your enjoyment of the read to much.

Thanks for buying the book.

Nick

Rich W
03-06-2013, 05:20 AM
The printing mistakes were noticed when I received the first book just before Christmas; by this time the first run of 5,000 had been completed and ready to be shipped (by sea) to the UK from the USA. The release date of 7th February was set in stone due to PR activities and so on. I was asked by the publisher if they should proceed or delay the book - which could have added three months to the release date. I agreed that they should continue and joked that the first edition would always be regarded as the more valuable (you know the one with the missing words). It’s not a perfect situation and hope that it doesn't distract from your enjoyment of the read to much.

Thanks for buying the book.

Nick

Hi Nick,

I think this makes an interesting parallel to the story about the first shipment of DeLoreans must ship by Easter.
Those of us that have been waiting for this book release were certainly not distracted by the minor printing glitch.

The book really is a great read. Thanks for all your contributions to the DeLorean project and DeLorean community.

Regards,
Rich W.

Evildeli
03-06-2013, 09:50 AM
My wife bought the book for my birthday. Looking forward to reading it.

Mark D
03-06-2013, 10:09 AM
I didn't mind the little sheet with the printing corrections. It makes a good book mark!

I'm about half way through reading the book and it's great so far. It's really interesting to learn more about all the development work that went into the cars and the obstacles that were overcome to launch production. As an engineer in new product development I work closely with our purchasing dept and global procurement...many of the stories told about working with suppliers to source parts, development of tooling, lead time issues, and BOM development are very familiar topics.

matt clark
03-06-2013, 10:14 AM
I didn't mind the little sheet with the printing corrections. It makes a good book mark!

Great minds think alike!

Smiled a bit when I read that the first batch of cars shipped on April 19th - that's my birthday! (I was born 3 years later, but who's counting).

Farrar
03-07-2013, 11:43 AM
I got mine from Amazon today! No errata sheet, so I'm hoping for no errata. Can't wait to read it!

nick sutton
03-07-2013, 12:20 PM
I got mine from Amazon today! No errata sheet, so I'm hoping for no errata. Can't wait to read it!

errata sheet may be between pages 16 and 17 - or did you geta good one?

regards and enjoy the book

Nick

OverlandMan
03-07-2013, 12:25 PM
Nick,

I received my copy this past Monday. I started reading it that evening and couldn't put it down. I finished it yesterday. Great job. I really liked the insight and plethora of information regarding the entire programme from start to finish. I'm going to let my dad borrow it this weekend and probably others after that. :thumbup:

nick sutton
03-07-2013, 01:11 PM
Nick,

I received my copy this past Monday. I started reading it that evening and couldn't put it down. I finished it yesterday. Great job. I really liked the insight and plethora of information regarding the entire programme from start to finish. I'm going to let my dad borrow it this weekend and probably others after that. :thumbup:

Thank you I'm pleased you enjoyed the detail. This is why it took me four years to research and write the book.Best regards
Nick

jawn101
03-07-2013, 06:58 PM
Got my copy today. Haven't had a chance to tear into it yet and likely won't until bedtime but it is a real looker. The cover photo is great quality as are the pictures inside. Really looking forward to it!

Jacko
03-07-2013, 07:55 PM
I've been away ... can someone tell me how to order the book?

thanks

EDIT: I found it ...

nick sutton
03-09-2013, 05:42 AM
I've been away ... can someone tell me how to order the book?

thanks

EDIT: I found it ...

Amazon US or Barnes and Noble or any large book supplier in the US /UK/France/Germany/Australia and South Africa

MTDMC
03-09-2013, 11:04 AM
Nick,

Barnes and Noble lists the as not available.

nick sutton
03-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Nick,

Barnes and Noble lists the as not available.

I'll get on to the publisher on Monday. Try Amazon US

nick sutton
03-10-2013, 04:26 AM
Attached is a review by a UK Journalist for the American Car Magazine published in the UK. The details and quotes in the article whilst not exact to the word are pretty close to the details I gave during the interview,
17168 17169

Domi
03-10-2013, 01:01 PM
Can you please tell me what is this magazine?
I'd like to find it on eBay if it's still available.
Also, a picture of the front cover would be nice ;)

Patrick C
03-10-2013, 01:43 PM
Just finished the book this afternoon. A truly great read, from a perspective all of the other DeLorean books are lacking. Great work, Nick!

nick sutton
03-10-2013, 03:43 PM
Just finished the book this afternoon. A truly great read, from a perspective all of the other DeLorean books are lacking. Great work, Nick!

Thank you Patrick your comments and others make the journey writing the book worth while
regards

Nick

refugeefromcalif
03-10-2013, 06:28 PM
Nick, I just finished and thoroughly enjoyed your book.
(I was Hoping it would Longer)... :rolleyes:
Great read!

George

jawn101
03-10-2013, 10:40 PM
Almost through it myself and am shocked at how much of this detail I didn't know. The story is so captivating it could easily be a Hollywood fabrication. Great work, Nick!

Also, I did have the errata sheet on page 16. It covered 3 small sections of missing text throughout the book.

Jeremy Popp
03-11-2013, 02:45 PM
I'm 1/2 way done with the book, but wanted to chime-in and say it's an excellent read so far. Such a good fresh perspective. I wonder how different the book would be if it was written right after the companies closure?

nick sutton
03-11-2013, 03:19 PM
I'm 1/2 way done with the book, but wanted to chime-in and say it's an excellent read so far. Such a good fresh perspective. I wonder how different the book would be if it was written right after the companies closure?

It wouldn't have been written because I did not want anything to do with DMC for the following 25 years.

Nick

sdg3205
03-11-2013, 03:37 PM
It wouldn't have been written because I did not want anything to do with DMC for the following 25 years.

Nick

At what point and why did you change your mind, nick?

nick sutton
03-11-2013, 03:51 PM
At what point and why did you change your mind, nick?

I really was not keen on accepting Ken Koncelik's invitation to the Gettysburg show in 2008 but my wife insisted that I should go. Over the years I had been accustomed to the usual bad DeLorean jokes and thought perhaps I'd have three days of this nonsense. Bu nonsence it wasn't . I recall the first morning - the sun was blazing and my first view on leaving the hotel was fifteen or twenty DeLorean's gleeming in the sunshine. Talking to the owners I was impressed with their knowledge of the car. From that day I was as smitten as the first time I saw the photograph of Bill Collins' car. It also seemed to me that no one knew the story of the magnificent effort by the DeLorean team ( including Lotus) to convert this wonderful prototype into reality.My conversion started from that moment.

Nick

Farrar
03-11-2013, 09:38 PM
I'm so glad you changed your mind, and decided to share the story. I'm really enjoying the book -- albeit slowly, as I am reading two others at the moment for classes I'm taking...

Iznodmad
03-11-2013, 09:59 PM
Nick,
I find it peculiar that you initially thought our community would dwell on the old
crappy jokes and "nonsense" as you call it, when you first came to DCS. That's one part I love about the community, it is a safe haven for us to just enjoy the car without being defensive of the many " know-it-alls" that permeate the general public. Of
course, you have figured that out by now. I have a copy of the book, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks for taking a chance and giving our community this unique perspective in DeLorean lore. I'm glad you can enjoy the car and story once more.

jawn101
03-12-2013, 12:50 AM
Nick,
I find it peculiar that you initially thought our community would dwell on the old
crappy jokes and "nonsense" as you call it, when you first came to DCS. That's one part I love about the community, it is a safe haven for us to just enjoy the car without being defensive of the many " know-it-alls" that permeate the general public. Of
course, you have figured that out by now. I have a copy of the book, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks for taking a chance and giving our community this unique perspective in DeLorean lore. I'm glad you can enjoy the car and story once more.

Hear hear. Nick, your perspective on this story was unique and fascinating. I am going to buy another copy of this book for my dad, who was born and raised in the UK (England) auto industry. He moved to Canada in the 60s and was an executive with Chrysler for decades, through all the Iacocca years. I'm sure a lot of this story will hit particularly close to home for him. He has a lot of interesting stories about the PRV lump himself, as it was used in some of the cars Chrysler was importing during that time. He knows it well and was actually surprised to learn it was used in the DeLorean when he first saw mine.

Thanks again for sharing your story and for letting us share your once and future passion. I'm glad that the DCS attendees were able to make a good impression!

nick sutton
03-12-2013, 03:55 AM
I'm so glad you changed your mind, and decided to share the story. I'm really enjoying the book -- albeit slowly, as I am reading two others at the moment for classes I'm taking...

Thanks Farrar , I hope you enjoy it tell me if you don't and tell others if you do!!
regards

Nick

nick sutton
03-12-2013, 03:59 AM
Nick,

After 25 years of jokes about DeLorean I got to the point where when asked how come an Englishman is living in Northern Ireland I usualy answered " work brought me here" often that was the end of the conversation. So it was a blessing to talk to DeLorean owners whose only interest was the car itself and the background to its production. It was quite refreshing to have an intelligent conversation on the product.

Nick

Dangermouse
03-13-2013, 04:38 PM
Just completed it Nick, and it is a cracking read. Certainly brought back some memories for me and thoroughly enjoyed your weaving of the background domestic situation into the whole business side of it, with anecdotal asides on some of the day-to-day hurdles to be overcome in setting up shop in one of the most challenging locales in probably the world at the time. While I knew the background, your use of specific examples really placed us by your side. Not everyone would have continued showing up for work every Monday.

(Later on in the 80s I worked for a multinational company in mid-Ulster (head-quartered in London) and some of the visiting Englishmen had similar experiences. Your hasty hotel check-out rang a bell. “Fair play to you” as they say for persevering. Some of my London-based work colleagues flat-out refused to come over.)

I am exceptionally glad that you put pen to paper. There must have been a great deal of research and hard work to put your memories in order and as it has somewhat of a niche audience, you certainly didn’t do it to become rich. I applaud your tenacity.

Co-incidentally, just as I finished the book, I came across this on you-tube. Don’t know where it’s from, or who the guy is, but the last line gave me a laugh. Made me think of all the guys employed in the factory (must be the accent). (fyi, “The Falls” refers to the Falls Road, as major artery in West Belfast, not far from the factory)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuTsnLu8Z8o

And to everyone who wants to borrow my book – bugger off and buy your own :rofl:

MML
03-13-2013, 05:05 PM
Co-incidentally, just as I finished the book, I came across this on you-tube. Don’t know where it’s from, or who the guy is, but the last line gave me a laugh. Made me think of all the guys employed in the factory (must be the accent). (fyi, “The Falls” refers to the Falls Road, as major artery in West Belfast, not far from the factory)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuTsnLu8Z8o

And to everyone who wants to borrow my book – bugger off and buy your own :rofl:

Andrew Maxwell, funny guy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Maxwell

Jeremy Popp
03-14-2013, 09:48 AM
Nick,
I just finished the book, and it was an excellent read. It really adds another piece to the puzzle that is The Delorean Story. I was especially interested in the daily life of working at DMC for you, and other employees. The first hand description of the closure of the factory was saddening, and really shows the impact it had on the community. I also felt like, of all the other books, this one seemed the most down to earth and without bias.

There are so many stories involved in the Delorean saga, and as time progresses we will lose many of them. I'm grateful you were able to recall and capture your experience for us to read in this book. I own vin 01495, and upon finishing I went out to the garage, and looked at my car like I never have before. Instead of a "time machine" or even an automobile, it was instead a accumulation of engineering, parts, and people that came together from around the globe for a single purpose... to "Live the Dream". This, I think, is why the Deloean is unique and will continue to be a desirable car.

I met, and breifly spoke to you at Delorean Car Show 2012, and I'm hopeful you are invited back to Dayton, OH (20 minutes from where I live) so I can get my book signed. I would be highly interested in a presentation about how you put this book together, the people you talked to and more of the memories about your time at DMC.

Thank you again for writing this book, and I hope it encourages other ex-DMC workers to share their experiences

Jeremy

nick sutton
03-15-2013, 03:18 PM
Nick,
I just finished the book, and it was an excellent read. It really adds another piece to the puzzle that is The Delorean Story. I was especially interested in the daily life of working at DMC for you, and other employees. The first hand description of the closure of the factory was saddening, and really shows the impact it had on the community. I also felt like, of all the other books, this one seemed the most down to earth and without bias.

There are so many stories involved in the Delorean saga, and as time progresses we will lose many of them. I'm grateful you were able to recall and capture your experience for us to read in this book. I own vin 01495, and upon finishing I went out to the garage, and looked at my car like I never have before. Instead of a "time machine" or even an automobile, it was instead a accumulation of engineering, parts, and people that came together from around the globe for a single purpose... to "Live the Dream". This, I think, is why the Deloean is unique and will continue to be a desirable car.

I met, and breifly spoke to you at Delorean Car Show 2012, and I'm hopeful you are invited back to Dayton, OH (20 minutes from where I live) so I can get my book signed. I would be highly interested in a presentation about how you put this book together, the people you talked to and more of the memories about your time at DMC.

Thank you again for writing this book, and I hope it encourages other ex-DMC workers to share their experiences

Jeremy

Jeremy, thank you for your comments and for the book reviews on the Amazon sites in the US and Germany - it means a great deal. Particularly, as Dermot mentioned that I’ll certainly not get rich on the royalties! Yes, I deliberately omitted many references to the BTTF - as I wanted the book to be about the car, the people and the factory. This is not to say of course that Back To The Future didn't play a significant part in keeping the DeLorean in the public eye - it did and still does. It's a magnificent film that I first watched in 2005. For twenty years after its release I refused to acknowledge that the film existed and watched the film in parts through cracks in the door jamb as my children sat and enjoyed it years earlier. Childish yes; understandable - perhaps by a few.

I hope we meet again at some DeLorean event and I'd be happy to sign your book.And if I get the opportunity I'll certainly make a presentation on how the book was researched and compiled and my wife can also submit a list of all the domestic jobs that went undone for four years!

best regards
Nick

Nick

nick sutton
03-15-2013, 03:22 PM
Nick,

Thank you for your comments - believe me I've heard every permutation of DeLorean jokes going and every time they are said the person that tells the joke believes it’s the first time it's been told.So it was a blessing to talk to people who enjoy the car or its history.
Thank you for writing your comments on this forum.

regards

Nick

nick sutton
03-15-2013, 03:28 PM
Hear hear. Nick, your perspective on this story was unique and fascinating. I am going to buy another copy of this book for my dad, who was born and raised in the UK (England) auto industry. He moved to Canada in the 60s and was an executive with Chrysler for decades, through all the Iacocca years. I'm sure a lot of this story will hit particularly close to home for him. He has a lot of interesting stories about the PRV lump himself, as it was used in some of the cars Chrysler was importing during that time. He knows it well and was actually surprised to learn it was used in the DeLorean when he first saw mine.

Thanks again for sharing your story and for letting us share your once and future passion. I'm glad that the DCS attendees were able to make a good impression!

Thank you for your comments - where did your dad work in the UK automotive industry? Also I had not realised that the PRV unit was used in Chysler cars very interesting. Yes the DCS attendees were great and I have loved every single minute of the shows and I have learned a lot - particularly how the cars have lasted (or not) and what parts gave problems. (right angle speedo drive/ inertia switch/ electrical problems - and on and on )

best regards and let me know if you need clarification on anything in the book
best regards
Nick

Farrar
03-17-2013, 10:43 AM
I finally finished the book. Cracking good read! I will put up a good review on Amazon some time next week. :)

nick sutton
03-17-2013, 10:53 AM
I finally finished the book. Cracking good read! I will put up a good review on Amazon some time next week. :)

Thank you I'm glad you liked it.
Nick

Evildeli
03-17-2013, 09:41 PM
I finished the book last night. I feel like I read it too fast. I'll most likely read it again. It's nice to have that inside perspective from the factory. Kinda feels like another puzzle piece was added to the story. Thanks for your side of the story Nick.

Johnc

OverlandMan
03-17-2013, 09:52 PM
I finished the book last night. I feel like I read it too fast. I'll most likely read it again. It's nice to have that inside perspective from the factory. Kinda feels like another puzzle piece was added to the story. Thanks for your side of the story Nick.

Johnc

After finishing it a couple weeks ago, I feel as if I read it too fast as well. I lent it to my dad today. When I get it back, I'll likely re-read it again this spring/summer.

jawn101
03-17-2013, 11:10 PM
Finished it off last night and felt confident contributing another positive review on Amazon. Now I am going to go back and re-read Grand Delusions and Hard Driving with Nick's perspective in my mind and see if it changes how I look at them.

nick sutton
03-18-2013, 03:18 AM
Nick Sutton[/QUOTE]

After you have done that please let me know what you think
regards
Nick

delorean4ever
03-18-2013, 03:58 PM
I just placed the order for mine from Amazon, can't wait to read it!

SamHill
04-06-2013, 09:59 AM
The book made me change my mind on a few things. For example, I thought JZDs residence in NYC, so far from the action, was bizarre. The proper context of the times, (such as the Niedermayer story) at least makes it understandable. SSI called Cafiero 'a class act' so the new opinion was interesting. I see somewhat of a parallel on the varying opinions of Bushell. I don't know that a redone TR 7/8 would have been much of a success, but I wonder if sourcing the Rover V8 engine from the get go for the D wouldnt have made much more sense, and brought down the price significantly while increasing the hp. And of course, the prospect of a honda powerplant was tantalizing. As I said in the amazon review, I sure would like more, more, more. Maybe the next bookcould contain an interview or chapter from other factory workers?

Farrar
04-06-2013, 10:52 AM
Maybe the next bookcould contain an interview or chapter from other factory workers?

I believe James Espey is working on such a project. The last time I talked to him, he said he was trying to get in touch with as many former employees as he could before it's too late. I don't know if the result will be a book, or something else. Perhaps a multimedia presentation?

Domi
04-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Also, Chris Parnham from the DOC UK is writing a new book.
According to him, the book will contain a lot of historical picture.
It is expected at the beginning of the year 2014 if everything is fine.
I don't know if he's a member of DMC Talk yet.

macdelorean
04-11-2013, 11:17 PM
Nick, maybe I missed it somewhere, but do you plan on releasing this in an ebook format such as Kindle/iBook?

Thanks!

sdg3205
04-12-2013, 12:01 AM
Nick,

Finished the book last night. Excellent work. It really was an amazing event from start to finish.

Do you have any pictures we could see from the last days at the factory like you mention near the end of the book? I'd love to see the 6 acre assembly building completely empty.

Again, excellent work. I've forwarded my thoughts to hemmings sport and exotic who often advertise new automotive books.

Nicholas R
04-12-2013, 01:09 AM
I got a copy of this book for my birthday last month but grad school has kept me from reading it. Luckily graduation is at the end of the month and I have a cruise scheduled to celebrate. Pretty much going to be me, this book, and whatever sunny beach chair I can find for a week!! My only concern is that I'll be so excited that I'll read through it to fast!!! Course then I'll just start over again :biggrin:

Keep the reviews coming! They make me more an more excited about finally getting to read it! :thumbup:

Rich W
04-12-2013, 01:40 PM
Nick, maybe I missed it somewhere, but do you plan on releasing this in an ebook format such as Kindle/iBook?

Thanks!

Details about this question will be answered soon.

macdelorean
04-13-2013, 11:23 PM
Details about this question will be answered soon.

Thanks Rich, I'll look forward to finding out more.

nick sutton
04-14-2013, 06:12 AM
Nick,

Finished the book last night. Excellent work. It really was an amazing event from start to finish.

Do you have any pictures we could see from the last days at the factory like you mention near the end of the book? I'd love to see the 6 acre assembly building completely empty.

Again, excellent work. I've forwarded my thoughts to hemmings sport and exotic who often advertise new automotive books.

Thank you for the comments Dave and for the recommendation to Hemmings. The photographs I took on the last day have not been found yet. These are amongst a lot of material I had when I left the company in January 1983. I've moved house three times since that time but I took all the DMC with me on each occasion. The drawings for every part of the car I left behind at my house in Norfolk when I moved back to Northern Ireland in 1991.As and when I find the photographs I'll post them. Thanks again for the comments.

regards
Nick

Chris Burns
04-14-2013, 09:58 AM
Finshed reading my copy and it's one of the best Delorean books I have read! Great job Nick!!:thumbup:

nick sutton
04-14-2013, 10:26 AM
Finshed reading my copy and it's one of the best Delorean books I have read! Great job Nick!!:thumbup:

Thank you Chris I'm glad you liked it.
regards

Nick

Farrar
04-17-2013, 12:13 PM
I finally submitted my review to Amazon. I hope it gets a few more people to pick up the book. :)

Dangermouse
04-19-2013, 08:15 AM
Nick,

Amongst the names of people in your acknowledgements page I see the names Tony Swann and Matt Somner listed. I have seen their names a few times over the years but they don’t seem to frequent forums and I was wondering if you (or Rich W perhaps) could share some background. I assume that they are longterm owners (possibly original owners)

Is this Tony Swann, collector of 500 series cars, the same Tony Swan (albeit slightly different spelling) who is/was an editor for Car & Driver?

I presume Matt is the same Matt Somner who has the DeLorean Archive.com website (I picked up a business card at DCS12) so I assume that he a big collector

Dangermouse
04-19-2013, 08:27 AM
Nick,

I started a thread on the Manufacturing Cost of the car:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?6857-Manufacturing-Cost-of-a-DeLorean

Perhaps you could comment when you have time.

Rich W
04-19-2013, 01:25 PM
Nick,

Amongst the names of people in your acknowledgements page I see the names Tony Swann and Matt Somner listed. I have seen their names a few times over the years but they don’t seem to frequent forums and I was wondering if you (or Rich W perhaps) could share some background. I assume that they are longterm owners (possibly original owners)

Is this Tony Swann, collector of 500 series cars, the same Tony Swan (albeit slightly different spelling) who is/was an editor for Car & Driver?

I presume Matt is the same Matt Somner who has the DeLorean Archive.com website (I picked up a business card at DCS12) so I assume that he a big collector

Matt Sommer is a long time DeLorean Memorabilia collector and he does have the DeLorean Archive website. Matt was the owner of VIN..6770
at one time, but he sold this car during negotiations for the purchase of Proto-1 (which he pursued for over a decade with the first private owner).
Once the owner sold Proto-1, Matt re-focused his efforts to acquire original DMC photos, documentation and memorabilia from many original DMC
corporate employees, as he had done for years...before ebay, etc. Matt has original DMC collections from Nick, Dixon, Bill Collins and many others.

Tony Swann is also a long time DeLorean memorabilia collector, but he also has an equal focus on collecting and restoring 500 series DeLoreans.
During the restoration of his "daily driver" 82 DeLorean and "correcting" many of his 500 series cars, Tony built up a lot of very good spare parts.
Tony later traded many of these used parts to me, in exchange for my DMC memorabilia collection of early photos and dealership documentation
from the many "left-over" DeLorean dealership inventories that I had acquired over the years. Matt has some of my old collection items as well.

As many already know, I purchased, maintained and restored stock DeLoreans for about 15 years before I decided to do some custom work, but
I still enjoy the challenge of stock (and mild custom) DeLorean restorations, so I help out with restoring Tony's 500 series cars when I have time.

Tony Swann is not the Car & Driver Tony Swan, but I think Tony Swann has driven his daily driver DeLorean from Chicago to NY more than anyone
else I know and he has driven it to every DCS (except DCS 2004, due to pressing matters at home). Tony and I have also had the opportunity to
acquire many unique and original DeLorean photos over the past decade, and since Tony has some awesome computerized scanning technology,
we agreed that Tony would be the "keeper" of the collection and that I would retain both high and low resolution scans of the photo collection.

Domi
04-19-2013, 04:15 PM
, and since Tony has some awesome computerized scanning technology,
we agreed that Tony would be the "keeper" of the collection and that I would retain both high and low resolution scans of the photo collection.

Do you think someday, you will share these awesome pictures with the dmc community?
That will be really nice ;)

Rich W
04-19-2013, 05:10 PM
Do you think someday, you will share these awesome pictures with the dmc community?
That will be really nice ;)

Hi Domi,

Actually, the answer includes your disclaimer, which applies...Yes, someday. (basically, it needs a lot of free time and effort to get it done)
So, Yes it will happen, but unfortunately, it is still a low priority right now. It may be a task we can get to during the cold of next Winter.

The photos have been grouped accordingly, and, one or more groups of photos may share a specific website (URL) address.
Most of the work will depend upon implementing the agreed upon presentation format, estimated chronological order of the photos, etc.

One of the first groups of photos planned is the DMC Factory, from cow pasture, to a fully functional DeLorean Manufacturing Facility.

http://www.deloreanfactory.com/

Thanks,
Rich W.

BTW: This is something that will not be handed off, for someone else to do. We have the passion for it...we just need more free time.

Domi
04-19-2013, 05:15 PM
Many thanks for your answer Rich :thumbup:

Bill Vaughn
05-23-2013, 11:23 AM
9837Attached is the first chapter of "Flight of the DeLorean " to be published mid 2012.

Nick Sutton

It's widely reported, or mis-reported, that workers refused to cut down a hawthorn tree growing on the grounds of what would become the DeLorean plant in Dunmurry. According to various accounts, John DeLorean cut down the tree himself with an axe, or removed the tree with a bulldozer, or removed the tree and the mound on which it grew with a bulldozer, or, the tree simply disappeared one night. It sounds like an urban myth. Does anyone know if there's any truth to the story?

Dangermouse
05-23-2013, 12:26 PM
The answer is on page 63..............................

I hope Nick doesn't mind revealing that "it just disappeared".

If you are interested in the history, you should pick up a copy of the book. The "full" story of the tree and plenty of others will entertain you.

Dangermouse
05-30-2013, 10:33 PM
Profit !

I just got a trade-in offer from Amazon for about 20% more than I paid for it.

But despite it being the only Delorean thing that has appreciated, I will not be selling :)

nick sutton
06-06-2013, 02:19 AM
Thanks for that Dermot. It would appear that the returns deal is because of the original 5,000 first edition run 80% of these have been sold.
regards Nick

Nicholas R
06-06-2013, 10:57 AM
Nick, I know it been said many times already but I thought the book was awesome. It was an incredible look into the birth and death of DMCL. I was also very impressed at how you portrayed John DeLorean. I felt it was very genuine and unbiased. Thank you ao much for writing it. I'll be reading it again as soon as I get my book back from my parents, who are both reading it right now. :thumbup:

nick sutton
06-06-2013, 02:33 PM
Nick, I know it been said many times already but I thought the book was awesome. It was an incredible look into the birth and death of DMCL. I was also very impressed at how you portrayed John DeLorean. I felt it was very genuine and unbiased. Thank you ao much for writing it. I'll be reading it again as soon as I get my book back from my parents, who are both reading it right now. :thumbup:

Nicholas, Thank you very much for your kind words.regards
Nick Sutton

Dangermouse
06-06-2013, 03:16 PM
Thanks for that Dermot. It would appear that the returns deal is because of the original 5,000 first edition run 80% of these have been sold.
regards Nick

So procrastinators - once these First Editions are gone, they are gone!! Buy yours now !!

Just like First Editions by Dickens and Shakespeare, your treasured Sutton First Edition will become an heirloom :)

MML
06-06-2013, 06:12 PM
I was in Waterstone's bookshop in Belfast last weekend, and after seeing endless publications about the Titanic, what did I spy on a shelf? Nick's book. Aww yeah!
Nice to see Belfast's other contribution to the world of transport finally get the shelf space it deserves.

Michael
06-06-2013, 10:15 PM
I'm ashamed to say that I have had mine for a month now but have not read it yet. Since it looks like an easy read, I think I am saving it for a time when I can really enjoy it.

nick sutton
06-07-2013, 12:31 PM
I'm ashamed to say that I have had mine for a month now but have not read it yet. Since it looks like an easy read, I think I am saving it for a time when I can really enjoy it.

Michael - you need some serious counselling

SS Spoiler
06-07-2013, 12:37 PM
Good one Nick

Michael
06-07-2013, 02:11 PM
Michael - you need some serious counselling

The voices assure me that I am fine...they tell me to stay home and clean my guns.