PDA

View Full Version : For Sale 1981 Delorean BAE turbo. 5sp grooved hood.

Soundkillr
01-02-2012, 03:32 PM
I am considering the sale of my 81 Delorean with a BAE turbo. I am in no hurry to sale, nor do I have to sale, but I have my eye on a different type of car. If the Delorean sales at my price, I will let it go. I bought the car about 14 years ago with 28K miles from a private collector that stored it in a climate controlled building. The car
now has 36K pampered miles. I have all receipts on all work done over the years. This car has been featured in magazines, a local paper, and on ESPN's Legends of the Road, as well as winning several 1st and 2nd place awards at local shows.
1981 Grooved hood (no X) with Grey interior and 5 sp. Original window sticker
I installed the Turbo kit myself when the car had 30k miles. Installation was followed to the T, including distributer mod, and fuel mods for enrichment on boost. Car runs very well, and for reference, is stronger than a stage 2 car. Car has never been driven in rain or snow, and the bottom of the car is extremely clean. Nice stainless with good grain and no dings. Straight fascias, and good alignment on panels.
Over the years I have installed:
BAE turbo kit
lower front springs
front strut bar
poly front kit for sway bar (not installed yet)
3 core radiator
low draw high power radiator fans from DMC Northwest
Water pump with silicon hoses under intake valley.
Thermal time swith and idle switch
otterstat switch
O2 sensor
stainless studs for splash shields
Stainless exhaust manifolds
oil sending switches.
Shift rod bushings
Replaced front seal on tranmission (where shift linkage goes to)
K&N filter
Cold air intake
Correct NGK plugs recommended for BAE turbo
New a/c compressor, lines, dryer, evaporator and heater core. (R12)
New Binnacle (when they were still available) (replaced original due to hairline crack)
New Houston Seat covers
All new weather seals
Led's on climate panel
Led's on doors
New fuel accumulator
New Injectors.
Brake pads.
New Trailing arm Bolts from Grady.
Fascias repainted
Tons of other things Im sure I am forgetting
I will also include a top mount intercooler and all hardware currently not installed.
Everything on the car works, including console clock and display/tape deck on factory radio, and all mods have been tastefully done.
The car can be put back to stock very easily if so desired. I am very picky about my vehicles, and anyone in sedoc can vouch for the car. It is very clean, and would make a great delorean for someone looking for a collector car with more power than stock, or even a driver. This car has never given me any problems, and always runs great. I am
looking to get 35K for the car. Again, I dont have to sell it, but if someone is interested, I could be persuaded into moving on to another marque. I have included photos of the bottom as well as interior, and exterior, and can answer any questions you may have. Pm or contact me at [email protected] to further discuss.

Iznodmad
01-02-2012, 03:46 PM
WTH! Well the Mayans are right, the end of time must be coming. Never thought for a second you would be selling your car, Ben. I would purchase it myself for DMC #3 in my fleet (but my wife would absolutely KILL me). Folks, this is a fine car and I am picky as hell too. This is a no-brainer purchase for anyone wanting a top tier DeLorean. Good luck with the sale.

sean
01-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Folks, Ben's frame doubles as a dinner plate if you ever need a clean place to eat. I mean the following in the best possible way: I have never met a more anal person when it comes to automotive cleanliness and perfection than Ben. Hundreds of hours of dedication and love went into this car just keeping it clean and maintained. This is not to say the car needed the attention but a reflection of Ben's drive to have perfection. Once you get past how clean the car is you then realize it hauls some serious ass! IMO, great value at the price.

SamHill
01-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Wow, how to sell a car at a loss. I can only guess what DMCH would price this at. Beautiful car.

Soundkillr
01-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys. Love the car, and again in no hurry to sell, but the wife wont let me get the toy i really want without getting rid of one. Besides if i dont sell, or it doesnt sell till 2013 then we cann all say those Mayans were wrong!

Chris Burns
01-02-2012, 06:08 PM
I love your Delorean man!:headbang: Good luck with the sale.

If I won the lotto tomorrow, I would make you an offer. Your Delorean is one of the nicest I've seen!:bigclap:

01-02-2012, 06:49 PM
I may have missed it but how many lbs. of boost is it set to give?

I don't have the 35K your asking handy but I'll check with my wife and see what she says. If so I'll send a PM.

Very nice car by the way!

Soundkillr
01-02-2012, 07:12 PM
Wastegate is adjustable from 4-7 pounds. It has been set at 4 psi for a while

john 05141
01-03-2012, 03:11 AM
If I was looking for a delorean, it would have been sold now and on its way to Europe very soon.
That is one good looking Delorean.

John

Ron
01-03-2012, 11:34 AM
Ben, I echo the sentiments of surprise that you are considering selling your D...I literally dropped my jaw.

To those in the market, I totally agree with the comments of others who know this D -- It IS superb, a no brainer at this price.

Soundkillr
01-03-2012, 11:50 AM
I must admit, this is a tough decision, and now my wife is questioning if i should sell. You guys make it tough. Decisions like this were easier when i was younger. The fact that i have owned it 14 years doesnt help. All gives me more to think about...

Ryan
01-03-2012, 12:02 PM
I must admit, this is a tough decision, and now my wife is questioning if i should sell. You guys make it tough. Decisions like this were easier when i was younger. The fact that i have owned it 14 years doesnt help. All gives me more to think about...

You should really consider holding on to it a little longer. Preferably until I'm in the market to purchase again, and then only tell me you want to sell it :wink:

SIMid
01-03-2012, 05:09 PM
You should really consider holding on to it a little longer.

+1

Only sell her when your heart is set for another ride.

ccurzio
01-03-2012, 06:06 PM
And not worry about someone else's "permission" to do so. :)

Ron
01-03-2012, 06:41 PM
And not worry about someone else's "permission" to do so. :)You've been married how long?:devil:

Soundkillr
01-03-2012, 07:54 PM
You've been married how long?:devil:

long enough to know I better do my best to keep her happy! :-)

Dangermouse
01-04-2012, 12:57 PM
long enough to know I better do my best to keep her happy! :-)

And this is why I won't be spending $35k on another toy :0

Seriously though, lovely car. Hope to see it again, in case it goes to an out of town owner.

nullset
01-04-2012, 03:56 PM
Wow.

I'm shocked. It is one of the best D's I've seen.

--buddy

GRINCH
01-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Email sent....

88mph
01-09-2012, 05:27 AM
hi soundkllr You have a nice car. Did you took off your cat conv to make it run and sound good?thanks 88 mph

Soundkillr
01-09-2012, 01:26 PM
hi soundkllr You have a nice car. Did you took off your cat conv to make it run and sound good?thanks 88 mph

No. The bae kit did not come with cats. If your turbo set up has a cat it was added to be compliant with emmisions. Before my car was catalyst exempt it would still pass smog testing as it was.

Chris_Von_Bron
01-09-2012, 04:41 PM
So if it sells for the money that you are looking for what will take its place?

88mph
01-11-2012, 02:01 PM
No. The bae kit did not come with cats. If your turbo set up has a cat it was added to be compliant with emmisions. Before my car was catalyst exempt it would still pass smog testing as it was.

my d sounds good without it but need the cat for smog unfortunately

Soundkillr
02-11-2012, 09:45 AM
Ive had a few offers on this car now, and while they have been good offers, I need to clarify my selling/asking price. I dont have to sell the car, and the more I think about it I will probably keep it and figure out how to convince my wife I need a 450hp sports car. My asking price is what it would take to let it go. I just didnt want to come off sounding like a douche. (at least not from this car ad)

Ron
02-11-2012, 10:08 AM
...and the more I think about it I will probably keep it and figure out how to convince my wife I need a 450hp sports car.Would you like fries with that...perhaps I couild supersize your order for you, Sir?

Soundkillr
02-11-2012, 10:12 AM
Would you like fries with that...perhaps I couild supersize your order for you, Sir?

I blame you Ron. The new car would fill the void left in me after seeing where you live. AWESOME place! So you see in fact, all this is your fault! :) oh and yes, fries please!

Ron
02-11-2012, 10:34 AM
I blame you Ron. The new car would fill the void left in me after seeing where you live. AWESOME place! So you see in fact, all this is your fault! :) oh and yes, fries please!Thanks Ben!
(Funny, I was just looking at it snowing, thinking about years ago when I couldn't wait to get the hell out of here, and after I wised up, thankfully, I was able to get back.)

Soundkillr
03-04-2012, 07:38 AM
Alright, after a very solid offer on the car, and a few weeks thinking it over, I have decided not to sell the car. The wife has been very kind and is allowing me to have both toys. Now the fun comes for looking for the newer car. For those who asked, I am looking to get a viper gts hard top. I have loved these cars for years, and almost bought one on a whim 2 months ago. Cant get it out of my mind.
There is something about a car, that when you start it: the heavens part, the ground shakes and kids run in terror. Those cars are something.

Dangermouse
03-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Glad to hear you are keeping her.

Welcome to SEDVOC :)

Soundkillr
03-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Glad to hear you are keeping her.

Welcome to SEDVOC :)

I see what you did there! I like that!

DL4567
03-06-2012, 09:45 PM
Huh. Just now seeing this thread for the first time. I like finding threads that have already reached a conclusion and so when I read through them I'm not left hanging in suspense.

Especially happy conclusions. I'm thrilled you're keeping your DeLorean Ben, things would not be the same without you having that car. Also, that's great you're getting the Viper also, as I remember our conversation about it at the last tech session. Please give me a ride in it when you get one! I've never ridden in one of any kind.

opethmike
03-06-2012, 10:32 PM
Vipers are unreal awesome. I am actually also in the market for one, but I am looking for an RT/10. My C5 has me hooked on open air motoring so much that I can't consider a fixed roof sports car.

Dangermouse
03-07-2012, 07:40 AM
Please give me a ride in it when you get one! I've never ridden in one of any kind.

+1 on this.

Though I just realised that if Ben brings his V to a tech session, it will have more HP that all of the D's there combined :)

Soundkillr
03-07-2012, 08:16 AM
Vipers are unreal awesome. I am actually also in the market for one, but I am looking for an RT/10. My C5 has me hooked on open air motoring so much that I can't consider a fixed roof sports car.

Mike, there are some screaming good deals on rt10's right now! Check out thr viper alley forum as well. The crazy thing is, vipers seem to be pretty reliable.
If/when I get the car everyone is invited to ride or drive. Doesnt matter. It may be a while though. Might take me a while to find the right car!