PDA

View Full Version : Some unexpected research

Kukem
01-04-2012, 10:14 PM
So, when I was doing some searching online for some D stuff, I came across a listing for a DeLorean at Ackerman Toyta (http://www.ackermantoyota.com/used-cars-st-louis/1981-delorean--88) in St. Louis. Now, I think I have seen this car appear on here somewhere before but can't find anything other than a mention of the autotrader listing. My question is: Does anyone know anything about this car? Has anyone seen this car, (VIN 5090) in person?

Kenny_Z
01-04-2012, 11:15 PM
Lot number 88? Part of me wants that to be a hilarious accident.

SIMid
01-05-2012, 12:45 AM
FYI - This car was advertised 12 months ago when I was looking to purchase a D.

dvonk
01-05-2012, 07:47 AM
its been at Ackerman Toyota (with stock #88 ) since at least August of 2010. they dont have a price listed on their website, did you call and ask how much they want?

it was listed at a different dealer in June of 2010, so that narrows the window it down a bit if you care.

Kukem
01-05-2012, 12:28 PM
I contacted them today through email. Waiting for a response. If it is still there, I'll call.

Kukem
01-07-2012, 03:54 PM
I received a response from Ackerman Toyota regarding the DeLorean they have. They say they still have it and that the pictures are recent. Does anyone know if those pictures are actually recent? They also say that the car runs fine, everything works, and that the oil has been changed recently. Also, they have a box of records from a PO. They did mention that a new windshield was put in recently as well and it was not by a DeLorean vendor but a normal windshield company.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I can ask the dealership when I call this coming week? I'm not really sure where to go as the email seems kinda short.

Notifier
01-07-2012, 04:09 PM
If you click on "Dealer Comments" it does say: "Special one of kind vehicle offered at $24995.00"

dvonk
01-07-2012, 06:54 PM
Does anyone know if those pictures are actually recent?

im not sure what your definition of 'recent' is, but i have the exact same images from that very webpage that i downloaded; creation date is "08/10/2010." not exactly recent in my book, but since it is at the same dealer (Ackerman), one *could* assume it has been there the whole time...

if you want more photos than they have on the website, shoot me a PM. i have pictures of it from two separate auctions on ebay in June of 2010.

DMCVegas
01-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Car looks pretty clean from the photos. The box of items from the PO would be of great interest to me if I were buying this car. If you could put together a good portfolio of the car's history from those items, as well as if the car is in as good of condition as they say it is, $25K would be a fair enough price.

An exhaustive portfolio can give a old car a desirable pedigree as a cared-for vehicle. It's something that definitely IMO increases the value. And if nothing else if you go to sell a car that has such a portfolio, it certainly acts as an incentive to buyers.

You can restore and build a new car that can win any concours, but you can't buy a car history to actually make it more interesting.

dvonk
01-07-2012, 07:25 PM
i was 10 seconds to late to edit, so...

Edit: it turns out the two sets of photos are the same, but one set is higher resolution and has the dealer name/logo on them.

this is likely what the "box of items from the PO" contains: (no guarantees though :wink: )

outatym2001
01-08-2012, 03:34 PM
I just hate it when a dealership sits on car for a long time and the only pictures they show are a few taken inside the show room.
First and foremost I would expect to see some pictures of the underside rear and underside front. There will expose just how much rusting is present on the suspension parts as they are mild steel and are prone to rust when driven a lot in the nasty winters of the eastern half of the U.S.
When I look at their pictures of the dash board (Dash Pad 110440 in the Parts Manual) I see brown on the gray telling me there is sun damage and that dash needs to be repaired or replaced. I can’t tell very well since the pictures are taken indoors. When I enlarge the pictures I see what appears to be cracks in the vinyl covered Binnacle (110436) and the Dash Pad.
Dash Pad Gray $299.00 new reproduction part.
Binnacle Gray $0 because this part is not available.

Other interior pictures show driver side and passenger side carpeted floor mat are missing.
Carpet Floor Mat, Grey $149.50 part A1000019 for the pair.
And the backside of the driver seat is coming apart. The backside is a vinyl covered panel held in place by two screws on the bottom.
The gear shifter area appears dusty/dirty and is missing the black rubber Edging Strip 106798.
I think the Cigar Lighter is missing also.
Picture of the VIN Plate in the drivers door frame has had the VIN number and month/year erased digitally. Why?
Picture of the Engine Cover and Louvre shows that the two Louvre Panel Grills (105516) are missing.
Louvre Panel Grill $59.82 for the two of them.

Where are pictures of the engine??? Uuuugh!!!

The outside shows me the front and rear painted Fascias need to be repainted. I see sun damage to the paint. That will cost about $250 for each Fascia to be stripped and repainted while still on the car.

You mention the windshield has been replaced. The very early DeLoreans like mine VIN 02261 had an antenna built into the windshield which started in the passenger side lower corner then went up and across the top. If the new windshield does not have the antenna then where is the antenna for the radio?

The front suspension springs appear to have been replaced with lowering springs. That’s a good thing since the original springs make the front end abnormally high.
The springs and original shock absorbers are a semi-gloss black. If the shocks are leaking they will need to be replaced.

How is the coating on the aluminum alloy rims? If they need to be stripped and powder coated that’s about $250.00 each. How are the rubber tires? Are they old / new?

The original radio, tape cassette player is still in the dash. Does it work? The rear 4x10 speakers are most likely falling apart. The speaker cone is paper and the rubber surround is most likely ruined due to age.

In the trunk (boot) does the spare tire hold air? Is the jack and tools still where they should be?

Does it have two keys (a big one for the doors, and a little one for the ignition) or just one key for doors and ignition? Look to see how worn they appear.

Everything I mention above is cosmetic. Anything mechanical would have to be looked over by a trained technician.

Oh, yeah. You asked the question…

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I can ask the dealership when I call this coming week? I'm not really sure where to go as the email seems kinda short.

All I can suggest is you go see it for yourself. And pay to have a buyer’s inspection or Pre Purchase Inspection PPI done on it if you are serious about buying it. I’m afraid for that thirty year old car that looks all original especially if you actually plan on driving it. Thirty year old rubber hoses and seals is not a good thing. They say the oil has been changed but what about all the other fluids?
Search for any receipts for any work done at all in the last thirty years.
The price their asking is on the high side. Of course it will be since they are in the business to make money. I would expect no more than $20,000.

Don’t know where you live but Saint John, NB to Saint Louis, MO is 1,700 miles (2,736 km).
http://www.pjgrady.com/ may have DeLoreans on consignment and is a lot closer.
Saint John, NB to West Sayville, NY is 650 miles (1,046 km).

Kukem
01-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Outatym,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this up for me. This really helps out a lot! I went back and looked at the pictures after I read your comments and noticed the grills missing and also that the driver's seat is missing the back panel completely. According to the DMCH site, they are not a part that are in stock. (at least not at the moment.) Must be one of those hard to get parts.

I would never have thought about the rims of the car. I had no idea about the cost of powdercoating. Thanks for the info. The tires were of concern to me, but since I am niave, I just assumed they would have to be newer tires where a delearship is selling the car. The heads up is greatly appreciated.

I was going to ask for frame pics and engie pics, but was worried that it seemd kinda demanding or inappropriate. I also wanted to know if they would send low quality scans of some of the work invoices just with the job and dates, no dollar amounts, for the reasons mentioned above. Again, though, I thought that might seem inappropriate.

Once again, this is exactly the kind of response I am looking for. Thanks again! I will start drafting up my list of questions and points so when I call in the next couple days I don't sound like a moron.

Kerichbe
05-16-2012, 09:37 AM
In case anyone is still following this thread....I purchased VIN 5090 from Ackerman about a month ago. Cosmetically it's major issues are faded front and rear fascia's, and mis-aligned driver door. Interior Seat back is there, but falls out continuously, browning of knee pad, cracked binnacle and dash. no floor mats. Radio is dead as is power antenna, speakers surprisingly are ok!, carpeting is new. in the engine, new A/C, new exhaust. New tyres on front, mismatched rears. Currently having the cooling checked out, and the speedo fixed, as it bounces.

dvonk
05-16-2012, 10:40 AM
I purchased VIN 5090 from Ackerman about a month ago...

congratulations! feel free to post photos! :biggrin:

also, i noticed your post to the VIN Chronology that 5090 is now in Hudsonville, MI... if you put your location in your profile, it could help other local owners who may volunteer to help you with any issues in person! :wink:

Kukem
05-16-2012, 06:34 PM
Congrats with your purchase! Good to see it showed up on the forum here.

Kerichbe
05-17-2012, 09:25 AM
It was one of my weaker moments! I purchased it from those photos alone, had it shipped up here to Michigan. All they while wondering if it would start. Thankfully it did, otherwise my wife (who has been very patient through this) would have probably laughed at me, or worse.

Dangermouse
05-17-2012, 11:15 AM
Congrats too.