PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Delorean Comment Of the Day

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Ikeaboy1
06-04-2011, 03:27 PM
It was only a matter of time before this thread returned from the dead.

I was sitting at a traffic light after about a three hour drive this morning when something struck my driver's door window. I wasn't sure what in the world it was and when I started looking around I saw the 70+ year old driving the Honda minivan next to me gesturing for me to roll down the window. I was pissed that the jerk thought it was appropriate to throw something at the car heavy enough to thud against the window, but it didn't do any harm. I rolled down the window:

Old Dude: I see your license plate says ' out of time.'
me: Yea?
Old Dude: My friend wrote a book called that.
Me: Ok.
Old Dude: Is that what it means?
Me: ...Yea... (confused)
Old Dude: Is your last name (something)
Me: No.
Old Dude: Yea my friend wrote a book called 'out of time.'
Me: Good for him.

Rolled window up and blasted down the road. Not interested in the car, too old to get the back to the future reference, but still thought there was enough evidence to warrant throwing something at the car to see if I might be related to his 'friend' who may or may not have written a book with a title similar to my license plate. Brilliant.

fnzen
06-04-2011, 04:45 PM
"so how much coke did it take to buy that"
My reply Way more than you can afford .

Renee_1632
06-04-2011, 07:06 PM
Polished 1632 with BKF for her first car show last monday. Forgot to wipe off stray powder from above the side lights.

Guy (yelling to friend): HEY! I FOUND THE CRACK COCAINE ON THE DELOREAN!

Interesting enough though, a lady walked up to me and she knew a LOT about the DeLorean (K-Jet fuel injection, PRV motor, JZD was acquitted, etc). So for all the gentlemen on the board (okay, everyone but me and Karin) there are women who know about the DeLorean. Also, I taught a little girl how to say "fuel injection" and "gullwing doors". Totally just created a future owner. 8)

Mike C.
06-04-2011, 07:18 PM
Not a stupid comment, but last night at the car show a guy walks up and asks what that flashing box on the back shelf was.

Ozzie: Flux Capacitor
him: what's it do?
Me: Makes time travel possible.

Guy just stands there.....

guy: Whats it do?
me: Makes time travel possible....

He just looked puzzled and walked away. :)

fnzen
06-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Mike thats just awesome that he didnt know the dirty little secret, he probably thought you were a loon:)

SIMid
06-05-2011, 08:03 AM
A friend of mine a few weeks ago wrote on my facebook page.......

"You new car looks like shit."

:angry:

No friend of mine anymore. :aniclap:

DeLorean03
06-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Not a stupid comment, but last night at the car show a guy walks up and asks what that flashing box on the back shelf was.

Ozzie: Flux Capacitor
him: what's it do?
Me: Makes time travel possible.

Guy just stands there.....

guy: Whats it do?
me: Makes time travel possible....

He just looked puzzled and walked away. :)

This has happened to me alot too. I've notice....I'd say 2 of every 5 people that see the FC honestly do not get the Back to the Future reference. It totally boggles me. 6 straight years it seemed I couldn't GET away from the FC reference, and now that I have one everyone's all "doooooooooooooooiiiiiiiiiiiii".... D: ....i dont get it >_<

Karin
06-05-2011, 03:19 PM
Someone should revive this comment from the old forums. The one where there were sarcastic, wrong answers to the people's usual questions about our car. That one made me laugh.

Like, "Is this car made from GMC? It says so on the front."
"Why, yes it does. They just flipped the G backwards and removed its lip to make a new style for their logo."

DeLorean
06-05-2011, 04:52 PM
When driving mine down 5th Street, in Reading PA with the windows down, constant yelling and looking, by just about everyone :lol:

"DeLorean!" is the most common hoot

sdg3205
06-05-2011, 04:56 PM
When driving mine down 5th Street, in Reading PA with the windows down, constant yelling and looking, by just about everyone :lol:

Hah, I've gotten those a lot too. It's funny. People just scream "DeLorean" at the top of their lungs. It's like an automatic response for some people. They yell before thinking it may or may not be appropriate... especially when they add a F-bomb or two... while waiting at a bus stop with seniors.

Michael
06-05-2011, 07:14 PM

LOL, Thanks for reminding me what car I'm in.

yellowmxwheels23
06-05-2011, 07:52 PM
I got this today at a BBQ from a friend of a friend. "Hey you still have your Delorean?"
More of a dumb question than comment.

DMC3165
06-05-2011, 09:16 PM
I got one Saturday. I hadn't heard before. Living on long island Grumman was a big job for a lot of older fellas before they lost the government contract in the early 90's. So this guy at a car show Saturday comes storming over and says "hey who's car is this." I said "mine." He said "we made those torsion bars for this car. We did all the engineering, we made the machines, the bars, and we never got paid!" Kind of dumbfounded I said "ok I heard several conpanies never got paid......"he said "oh no the man was a crook a no good drug dealing crook!" and went on to berate me my car and DeLoreans in general for about 10 minutes. After he was done I asked "well what would you like me to do about it." He said you should get rid of that thing and buy a real car, then walked away. I was honestly stumped. Even the guy parked next to me said "geez you'd think it was his money that built those bars." I couldn't believe what I just heard.

DeLorean03
06-06-2011, 03:22 AM
I got one Saturday. I hadn't heard before. Living on long island Grumman was a big job for a lot of older fellas before they lost the government contract in the early 90's. So this guy at a car show Saturday comes storming over and says "hey who's car is this." I said "mine." He said "we made those torsion bars for this car. We did all the engineering, we made the machines, the bars, and we never got paid!" Kind of dumbfounded I said "ok I heard several conpanies never got paid......"he said "oh no the man was a crook a no good drug dealing crook!" and went on to berate me my car and DeLoreans in general for about 10 minutes. After he was done I asked "well what would you like me to do about it." He said you should get rid of that thing and buy a real car, then walked away. I was honestly stumped. Even the guy parked next to me said "geez you'd think it was his money that built those bars." I couldn't believe what I just heard.

I think for someone to hold a grudge like that for 30 years, he should worry about HIS problems and not worry about you "needing" to sell your car. What an idiot.....

Notifier
06-06-2011, 05:14 AM
From my 27-year-old cousin when I told her I bought a Delorean: "What's a Delorean?"

Michael
06-06-2011, 08:21 AM
I think for someone to hold a grudge like that for 30 years, he should worry about HIS problems and not worry about you "needing" to sell your car. What an idiot.....
Chances are he doesn't have a grudge, he was just jealous. Some people deal with that jealousy by belittling what they don't have. He probably would have loved to own a nice car, but he is not about to let you know that, or acknowledge your car in a positive way. I usually get smart right back at those types, after all their goal was to piss you off...I like to beat them to the punch.
Typical response from me after being told to get a real car would have been, "dont hold your breath" or "well I guess your just s#!t out of luck arent you?"

Maybe if I were really on my game I would have thought to say "oh like a Ford, who used imprisioned jews for their labor".

I dislike those angry jealous types. Mostly because they get a reaction out of me and its not a positive one...and I dont want to become negative and bitter like them. Perhaps it would have been best to just say "your opinion has been noted"...in a very dismissive tone.

Chris Burns
06-06-2011, 10:25 AM
When I tell people about the Delorean I get mixed reactions. Some people love it, others are like this:

1. "Why do you want one? It's a slow, ugly turd!"

2. "DMC stand for drug money car"

3. At a local show, "Why is there a Delorean here? It's not a classic!"

4. "There's cocaine in the wheels!"

Those are just a sample of the comments I get from people. When you have a Delorean brushing off some of the comments helps. But when ones like those above come out it makes me :angry: I love Deloreans and I dont care what people think. I guess I'll have to get some thicker skin.

I also have a Certificate of Originality made up to post in the Delorean window. hehe

DeLorean
06-06-2011, 01:54 PM
"Yo, You you put those doors on yourself like that"

"No, it came like that"

"Don't sell that man"

Farrar
06-06-2011, 02:02 PM
LOL, Thanks for reminding me what car I'm in.

Unfortunately, that's too long to holler back at someone. I've just taken to returning the favor as it were.

Example exchange:

Guy in a Corolla: "DELOREAN!!!"
Me: "TOYOTA!!!"

Farrar

Jonathan
06-06-2011, 05:21 PM
As I pulled up to a red light the other night, a guy in a small pick-up truck in the lane beside me leans over and says:

"How far ya going?"

My line of course:

"Oh, about 30 years."

We both laughed as the light turned green.

stevedmc
06-06-2011, 05:36 PM
"so how much coke did it take to buy that"
My reply Way more than you can afford .

I brought information sheets with me to the last car show. Next time I will staple small zip lock bags of flour to the flyers.

Farrar
06-06-2011, 05:44 PM
I brought information sheets with me to the last car show. Next time I will staple small zip lock bags of flour to the flyers.

I'd recommend Carpet Fresh -- would help some of the owners of ancient English vehicles dispel the must.

Farrar

fnzen
06-06-2011, 06:51 PM
NO NO NO It has to be AJAX , oops dating myself! Better yet make it BKF other owners would get a kick out of that!

I'd recommend Carpet Fresh -- would help some of the owners of ancient English vehicles dispel the must.

Farrar

fnzen
06-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Parked in front of hotel late at night

Dude and date , date oogling over the car
Dude: thats looks like a Delorean but its not
Date: how do you know?
Dude: they never made real ones
Date: Really? Do you want a picture with it anyway
Dude: No whoever just scrapped paint off a car to make it look that way
Date : Too bad I wanted a picture with it

I didnt have the heart to crush the Dude cause the Date was really cute.

Renee_1632
06-06-2011, 07:38 PM
Fnzen, you're way too nice. I totally would have called that guy out.

uhhair
06-06-2011, 07:53 PM
I don't know if this counts as a comment, but I had a guy behind me at a stop light this weekend get out of his car, walk up to mine, and attempt to stick his head through the window because he'd "never seen the inside of one before." He's just lucky the window is so small his fat head didn't fit through, or else it's doubtful he'd have gotten it back...

jmettee
06-06-2011, 08:45 PM
I don't know if this counts as a comment, but I had a guy behind me at a stop light this weekend get out of his car, walk up to mine, and attempt to stick his head through the window because he'd "never seen the inside of one before." He's just lucky the window is so small his fat head didn't fit through, or else it's doubtful he'd have gotten it back...

HAHAHA! Wish I would have still been behind you to see that!

DeLorean03
06-07-2011, 12:08 AM
As I pulled up to a red light the other night, a guy in a small pick-up truck in the lane beside me leans over and says:

"How far ya going?"

My line of course:

"Oh, about 30 years."

We both laughed as the light turned green.

See that's kinda cool - I like that one. That should go under "cool comment" of the day.

DeLorean03
06-07-2011, 12:13 AM

Dude.... oh man....you..are WAY too nice. There'd be nothing left of that ego when I would be done.

DL4567
06-07-2011, 03:09 AM
Parked in front of hotel late at night

Dude and date , date oogling over the car
Dude: thats looks like a Delorean but its not
Date: how do you know?
Dude: they never made real ones
Date: Really? Do you want a picture with it anyway
Dude: No whoever just scrapped paint off a car to make it look that way
Date : Too bad I wanted a picture with it

Dude.... oh man....you..are WAY too nice. There'd be nothing left of that ego when I would be done.

Agreed. If the girl was cute, all the more reason to rip apart the guy. Maybe she would have left him and stayed with you at the hotel! ;)

Blackie
06-07-2011, 06:21 AM
I was at the traffic lights with my radio on rather loud the other night and i thought i could hear people yelling, i looked over and saw some guy yelling out of his mates car at me, so i wound down the passenger window, and the wanker says to me, so what year are you from, laughing with all of his mates, i originally just played along with it, gave a thumbs up and laughed, and when they drove off when their light went green he called me a cockhead.

He should be glad that they got around that corner without the lights stopping them again or i would have got out the car and knocked his block off. I was super fuming, what is wrong with people these days! I would never yell that at someone for the car they drive, not 10 years ago when i was immature and not now!

Farrar
06-07-2011, 09:23 AM

Why not? It was his date, not yours. 8)

Farrar

sdg3205
06-07-2011, 11:16 AM
Last night I got a car full of drunks yelling;

"Take it to 88!"
"I LOVE YOU MARTY MCFLY!"

The usual.

Stainless
06-07-2011, 05:45 PM
As I was pulled to the side of the freeway waiting for the tow truck driver to load the DeLorean onto the bed, the driver said, "I bet you wish you could go back in time!"

It caught me off guard because he had been all business up to that point. In truth, I wish I could have gone back and prevented the break down. :)

Jonathan
06-07-2011, 07:47 PM
Last night I got a car full of drunks yelling...

Well they certainly didn't have anything to cheer about after the hockey game :p Wow did Boston put a beat down on the Canucks last night. That hit Thomas laid out on one of the Sedin Sisters was classic.

outatym2001
06-09-2011, 02:09 AM

At least you have people in Reading, PA know what your DeLorean is.

One day after work I’m heading north along Alaskan Way on the waterfront of downtown Seattle and as I’m driving with the tiny toll booth windows open a guy on the sidewalk points at my DeLorean and yells, “A LAMBORGHINI!!!.”
Right then I wanted to do a u-turn, pull up to him, open my gullwing door and say, “NO! A DELOREAN!” But, I didn’t and I kept on driving north.

Ryan King
06-09-2011, 05:34 AM

I am going to be moving to that area shortly. Where abouts do you live?

DeLorean
06-09-2011, 11:01 AM
Bern township specifically, though it is a Reading address. Shot you a PM.

DeLorean03
06-09-2011, 11:44 AM
At least you have people in Reading, PA know what your DeLorean is.

One day after work I’m heading north along Alaskan Way on the waterfront of downtown Seattle and as I’m driving with the tiny toll booth windows open a guy on the sidewalk points at my DeLorean and yells, “A LAMBORGHINI!!!.”

Dude, that is a compliment in my opinion. When someone mistakes your car for a 6 digit car = not a bad thing.

Karin
06-09-2011, 02:32 PM
Dude, that is a compliment in my opinion. When someone mistakes your car for a 6 digit car = not a bad thing.

More like an embarrassing compliment. I bet someone corrected him when they were next in line.

DeLorean03
06-09-2011, 02:36 PM
More like an embarrassing compliment. I bet someone corrected him when they were next in line.

Maybe embarassing to the guy that said it, but hey - if someone thinks MY car is a 6 digit supercar and I'm just driving by = not a bad feeling.

To know our cars - lil $30000 cars at MOST - get mistaken for a $120k+ car - that is JUST fine with me as I drive by.

Farrar
06-09-2011, 04:45 PM
Stupid comment of the day:

"I heard they were really complicated and unreliable."

My response:

"Don't believe everything you hear."

Farrar

82DMC12
06-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Today at the grocery store parking lot a lady told me I have "a really cute Lamborghini". Should I be upset?

Andy

DL4567
06-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Today at the grocery store parking lot a lady told me I have "a really cute Lamborghini". Should I be upset?

Andy

The "cute" part would bother me much more than the Lamborghini mistake, but women call everything "cute," so I guess it's ok.

DeLorean03
06-12-2011, 01:05 AM
Overheard some people call mine a Lamborghini tonight (: ....

Ikeaboy1
06-12-2011, 07:44 AM
Someone called mine a lamborghini yesterday, too.

DeLorean03
06-12-2011, 01:15 PM
Had some guy in his obvious late 50's/early 60's tell me he owned one. Asked him what happened to it - watched the gears turn for a while - "long story" was the response. As I have DMCH's Explodaview poster ON THE HOOD telling all the facts about the car and people are reading it, he goes "Yeah, some of these cars had Fiat engines in them"...-__________________-

Michael
06-12-2011, 02:17 PM
After all the BS I have heard in the past few years, I'm giving serious consideration to posting a sign at future events:

"Don't try and educate me about this car and it's history from what you read on the internet.... I know the facts, and I will call you out on your B.S."

I wouldn't really do that. The majority of people who do get things wrong will accept the truth fairly easily. It's the ones who won't accept that they are wrong and won't listen that need my sign.

stevedmc
06-12-2011, 05:59 PM
Last night I was at a gas station waiting for a friend of mine to come back to the car.

Someone approached the passenger door, I opened the window and he asked, "Does it work?" I responded and said, "I drove it here so it must work."

Well, he proceeded to tell me he was talking about traveling through time. I told him there is no such thing as time travel and he responded saying "I bet you F*&(in wish it could travel through time so you could go back to before you told me that!" and then he walked off in anger.

Wow! Thats the craziest comment I have ever had.

sdg3205
06-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Last night I was at a gas station waiting for a friend of mine to come back to the car.

Someone approached the passenger door, I opened the window and he asked, "Does it work?" I responded and said, "I drove it here so it must work."

Well, he proceeded to tell me he was talking about traveling through time. I told him there is no such thing as time travel and he responded saying "I bet you F*&(in wish it could travel through time so you could go back to before you told me that!" and then he walked off in anger.

Wow! Thats the craziest comment I have ever had.

What a dolt.

DeLorean03
06-12-2011, 11:23 PM
Last night I was at a gas station ....

and he responded saying "I bet you F*&(in wish it could travel through time so you could go back to before you told me that!" and then he walked off in anger.

You mean to tell me he thought his 30 year old joke would be funny, and he was surprised you didn't like it???

Honestly, it depends on the mood and the situation for me. If it's just like one guy or so - I don't mind. When it's some blockhead with his frat buddies or his fellow enlistees with him and he's trying to be on the cover of GQ with his BTTF comments my new line is: "The 80's called: they want their 30 year old jokes back."

Told someone that lastnight. To say the least, that was pretty much the end of THAT conversation.

ramblinmike
06-12-2011, 11:28 PM
I was parked between two minivans tonight. Both had those new self-opening rear hatches. As I was talking to the two owners they both opened their rear doors. I must have rolled my eyes a little because one of them said, "don't worry man. One day you'll have cool doors on your car too."

I was driving the D.

!

awildermode
06-13-2011, 12:42 AM
Next time I see a Lamborghini, I am going to the owner/renter and tell him that he has a nice DeLorean. :p

vwdmc16
06-17-2011, 08:33 PM
I had two people in separate locations today ask " how high does the speedometer go?"

now when i was 8 yrs old and i saw a fast car at a car show the first thing i did was go look and see how high the speedo went because that always determined how fast the car could go, right!! imagine how sad i was when i discovered my favorite car could only top 85!. are these people thinking the same?

and obligatorily after I say 85 and they get that look on their face that says " wow what a slow ass car!" I have to explain the US Federal mandate that was to be passed and blah blah blah....

Roman Legion
06-19-2011, 02:39 AM
*Disclaimer: Not D, but my Mustang..*

Never fear, my Mustang gets ragged on just as much.. I am in for a whole new slew of crap when I get my D.. Usually for my Mustang I get crap from people that drive some beat up old Honda asking me if my car is Automatic or Manual and that turns into "Why would you buy an Automatic Mustang?" I usually respond with.. "Let me guess.. You drive a Honda.." or "I did.. But it can and will beat your little ricer..". People are a-holes all around, but it is never a bad thing for us to share our mutual dislike for imbeciles, no matter the car.

sdg3205
06-19-2011, 03:37 AM
I had a brand new one today.

As I'm bleeding my rad at the side of the road (THAT's another story!!!) I got; "There's a guy in Alberta with 43 of these. Won't sell 'em."

Yeaaaaaaaaaahhhhh I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there.

dvonk
06-20-2011, 12:03 AM
I had a brand new one today.

As I'm bleeding my rad at the side of the road (THAT's another story!!!) I got; "There's a guy in Alberta with 43 of these. Won't sell 'em."

Yeaaaaaaaaaahhhhh I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there.

maybe someone told him that there was a guy in alberta with "four or three." :lol:

topcop66
06-20-2011, 06:31 AM
Wanna have some fun with the BTTF crowd ??? When the question comes up (and it will) about the Flux Capacitor, shoot t hem a confused look and make like you know NOTHING about what they just said/asked. I have done this at several shows and it just blows peoples mind...the looks you will get back are camera worthy!
I totally put forth the notion I have no idea what movie they are referring to, what a FC is, etc.
They just put their tail between their legs and walk away!!!

"Nope, sorry, never heard of it. What year did the movie come out?"
"Back to the Future...that just doesn't make sense."

You get the idea...!!!

Dracula
06-20-2011, 07:12 AM
I love this. It also helps when I ask about the film and they say it came out in '85 that I get to reply that I was born in '88 and ask if the film was really something I have to see.

jmrydholm
06-20-2011, 07:00 PM
I just realized there are exactly 88 days until I get married. -my stupid D comment for today lol

T_Stanley
06-22-2011, 08:56 PM
What really brings my piss to a boil is going on Youtube and watching all these DeLorean videos and reading all the dumbass comments. I just found one tonight saying that "My Moms uncle designed these cars for Mr. Delorian back in '82" Number one: why is DeLorean so hard to spell for some people? Number two: if you're going to attempt to BS people, at least do some homework on the subject.

Edit: Just got a response from the guy (who is only 11 years old) saying that Bill Collins is the person he was referring to. Could be BS, could be legit, but I guess we'll never know

Farrar
06-22-2011, 09:45 PM
Stanley, you might appreciate this -- a friend of mine once gave me this challenge:

Make a comment on a YouTube video so purposefully stupid that anyone looking at it will obviously say "OK, that was a joke. No one's that stupid."

It can't be done! :lol:

Farrar

T_Stanley
06-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Stanley, you might appreciate this -- a friend of mine once gave me this challenge:

Make a comment on a YouTube video so purposefully stupid that anyone looking at it will obviously say "OK, that was a joke. No one's that stupid."

It can't be done! :lol:

Farrar

Very true!

opethmike
06-22-2011, 11:00 PM
http://community.us.playstation.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-31115834-10402/Not-sure-if-trolling-or-just-stupid.jpg

jmrydholm
06-23-2011, 10:23 AM
What really brings my piss to a boil is going on Youtube and watching all these DeLorean videos and reading all the dumbass comments. I just found one tonight saying that "My Moms uncle designed these cars for Mr. Delorian back in '82" Number one: why is DeLorean so hard to spell for some people? Number two: if you're going to attempt to BS people, at least do some homework on the subject.

Edit: Just got a response from the guy (who is only 11 years old) saying that Bill Collins is the person he was referring to. Could be BS, could be legit, but I guess we'll never know

The State of Missouri spelled his name incorrectly on my title too! I think it says "Delo" under make and model (instead of DeLorean or DMC-12), and on my old registration it said "Delorian." There's plenty of space on the title to correctly print out the car's proper name. Even when I lived in Michigan, they always messed up the paperwork.

nullset
06-23-2011, 11:05 AM
While we're on the subject of youtube, may I present to you, the 2012 Delorean!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIX1VpYuduM

That's actually a one-off car designed in 1991 by Giorgetto Giugiaro. I guess that's the only link to Delorean I can find.

Of course the poster disabled comments on the video, making it impossible for anyone to point that out :)

Jacko
06-23-2011, 11:16 AM
I had 4915 in a car show Fathers Day. Had about 40 cars and a pretty good crowd.
Of course the D attracted a lot of attention and actually won a trophy for the '1970 to Present' category. I was pretty pleased since I just gave it a quick bath and that was about it.
Stupid comments ... where to begin ... I guess the best (worst?) was when these two 50 something guys were talking ...

Guy #1 - "I wonder whatever happened to him"

Guy #2 - "He died in prison"

Me - "Look at my license plate"

Jonathan
06-23-2011, 05:02 PM
I find a good way to shine up these knuckle heads with all their unsolicited "2 cents worth" garbage about "ya, well, he was a crook anyway" or "these cars almost bankrupted the Nova Scotia government you know" is to summon up your most sarcastic face you can and say something like "well thank you very much for your opinion... I'm really glad I asked you for it" with a brief blank stare in his direction followed by a WHATEVER-donkey-turn-around back to the normal people checking out the car.

Funny thing is, eventually you can spot the people dying to make these comments before they've even said them. They seem to just be hovering aimlessly around the car waiting for you to say something to them... ready to fire off a tiraid of some unfounded anger they have against the car. I saw this this past weekend... after ignoring the guy the first time he was at the car, not giving him the satisfaction of getting off his chest whatever crap he wanted to say, he actually came back on his way out, AGAIN hoping I would humour him. Nope. Take your negativity somewhere else partner.

Farrar
06-23-2011, 06:18 PM
They seem to just be hovering aimlessly around the car waiting for you to say something to them... ready to fire off a tiraid of some unfounded anger they have against the car.

I came up with a card to give to people like that, but I never found the gumption to actually get it printed, much less hand it to anyone:

Yeah, I have a weird sense of humour.

Farrar

Kukem
06-23-2011, 06:37 PM
I came up with a card to give to people like that, but I never found the gumption to actually get it printed, much less hand it to anyone:

Farrar

I love that. I could use a few of those for work too. Come to think of it, Farrar, they may just be the universal greeting card we've all really wanted.

Roman Legion
06-23-2011, 07:54 PM

Farrar

I love it! I usually set my homepage as this on different forums..

http://www.amishrakefight.org/gfy/

Karin
06-23-2011, 08:09 PM

At least most of those comments end up becoming hidden due to the numerous thumbs downs they get. At the same time, the people making positive comments about our cars get the thumbs up and there are more of the positive than the negative. Like the guy that commented, "The best car ever made". Looks like you've seen Fireball Tim's video. Even I made a comment there two years ago and got only two thumbs up but still good.

Michael
06-23-2011, 08:52 PM
While we're on the subject of youtube, may I present to you, the 2012 Delorean!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIX1VpYuduM

That's actually a one-off car designed in 1991 by Giorgetto Giugiaro. I guess that's the only link to Delorean I can find.

Of course the poster disabled comments on the video, making it impossible for anyone to point that out :)

I put that video together. It was an excersise to evoke an emotional feeling about the resurgence of an icon. I paired the music/scenes to get that. The Nazca seemed like a good replacement. In reality it just made the "know it all" types mad. Actually BMW made 3 of those cars(that I know of). You would not believe the negative comments I got from that video,...it's obvious what kind of car that is. Some people really get bent out of shape that it would be funny if it were not so sad. I just disabled everything to keep all the "I know more than you" types from pestering me.

What I don't get is how Youtube knew to put the BMW Nazca in the related videos. There is no mention of Nazca or BMW in the tags, title, etc. The video itself mentions it, but I didn't realize that Youtube software had the capability to read text in video form to create a related video list.

DeLorean03
06-24-2011, 05:43 AM
I find a good way to shine up these knuckle heads with all their unsolicited "2 cents worth" garbage about "ya, well, he was a crook anyway" or "these cars almost bankrupted the Nova Scotia government you know" is to summon up your most sarcastic face you can and say something like "well thank you very much for your opinion... I'm really glad I asked you for it" with a brief blank stare in his direction followed by a WHATEVER-donkey-turn-around back to the normal people checking out the car.

Funny thing is, eventually you can spot the people dying to make these comments before they've even said them. They seem to just be hovering aimlessly around the car waiting for you to say something to them... ready to fire off a tiraid of some unfounded anger they have against the car. I saw this this past weekend... after ignoring the guy the first time he was at the car, not giving him the satisfaction of getting off his chest whatever crap he wanted to say, he actually came back on his way out, AGAIN hoping I would humour him. Nope. Take your negativity somewhere else partner.

Awesome dude.

I flat-out don't go to shows or cruise ins here anymore. Without going into tirades, I am just fed up and done with it. Disrespectful people have ruined it for everyone else, and they can GFT as the link earlier states so aptly. When I used to go to shows though, I laminated things like these and set them on my windshield (I claim no credit to either of these!):

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=1489&d=1308908404

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=1490&d=1308908518

It got the point across with very little needing to be said: the jokes are 30 years old - come up with something new.

yellowmxwheels23
06-24-2011, 05:46 PM
So I went to my local car show the other day (Not with my car) and I see a Delorean parked there. I've been doing this show for the last few years and have never seen another D out there other than a BTTF one for Star cars night.
Anyways I walk up to the car which was in overall nice condition and start talking to the owner. Late 20' early 30's guy. He told me he had just recently bought the car. At that point I started to barrage him with dumb comment after dumb comment to see how he would react. He needs a little work with dealing with the comments but that will come with time. After a few minutes of firing of the classic dumb comments/Questions mixed in with some facts I told him I was also a owner and you could see the sigh of relief.
He told he was thinking to himself what the hell is this guy thinking, where did he get this information.
I told him about the forum so maybe he will show up.

DeLorean03
06-24-2011, 05:52 PM
After a few minutes of firing of the classic dumb comments/Questions mixed in with some facts I told him I was also a owner and you could see the sigh of relief.
He told he was thinking to himself what the hell is this guy thinking, where did he get this information.

I wish I coulda seen that one xD

Michael
06-24-2011, 06:52 PM
I always had it in my mind that if I ever saw another owner I would do that..maybe.

Farrar
06-25-2011, 03:05 AM
Hey, my comment bingo card lives! I thought it went down with DMCTalk. :lol:

Farrar

DeLorean03
06-25-2011, 05:09 AM
Hey, my comment bingo card lives! I thought it went down with DMCTalk. :lol:

Farrar

Can't have that happen (: ....

Both Comment Bingo and the Certificate of Originality live on (: ...

Roman Legion
06-25-2011, 09:40 AM
So I went to my local car show the other day (Not with my car) and I see a Delorean parked there. I've been doing this show for the last few years and have never seen another D out there other than a BTTF one for Star cars night.
Anyways I walk up to the car which was in overall nice condition and start talking to the owner. Late 20' early 30's guy. He told me he had just recently bought the car. At that point I started to barrage him with dumb comment after dumb comment to see how he would react. He needs a little work with dealing with the comments but that will come with time. After a few minutes of firing of the classic dumb comments/Questions mixed in with some facts I told him I was also a owner and you could see the sigh of relief.
I told him about the forum so maybe he will show up.

If someone randomly came up to me and bombarded me with stupid D question after another, they would likely get told to piss or F**k off.. Just letting it be known publically.. You have had your warning.. lol

Renee_1632
06-25-2011, 11:09 AM
Some guy was ogling my car as I left the store and I'd already had a long stressful day, so I decided to have some fun. The conversation:

Guy: This is YOUR car??
Me: uh...yeah.
Guy: Holy crap! So you're a huge BTTF fan?
Me: What's that?
Guy: Um...it's a movie starring a DeLorean. About time travel.
Me: Oh okay cool. What's a DeLorean?
Guy: ...it's your car?
Me: No, this is one of those new Nissans. Those symbols on the grille are "Nissan" in Japanese.
Guy: No, I'm pretty sure it's a DeLorean. Your doors go up...
Me: No. This is just Nissan's attempt at the flying car. Between you and me, buddy, it's a complete bust.
Guy: My God. What a waste of an awesome car. (Stalks off)

:D

Roman Legion
06-25-2011, 11:15 AM
Some guy was ogling my car as I left the store and I'd already had a long stressful day, so I decided to have some fun. The conversation:

Me: No, this is one of those new Nissans. Those symbols on the grille are "Nissan" in Japanese.
Me: No. This is just Nissan's attempt at the flying car. Between you and me, buddy, it's a complete bust.

I don't even have a coherent reply to that, just a lot of laughing.. hahaha

DeLorean03
06-25-2011, 04:57 PM

xD. Dang, that was kinda mean - but wow - that reads really funny I'm not gonna lie!

Chris Burns
06-25-2011, 05:09 PM

Renee gets MVP vote for the day! Very original quote.:bigclap:

Roman Legion
06-25-2011, 07:21 PM
Renee gets MVP vote for the day! Very original quote.:bigclap:

Hear, Hear!

dvonk
06-26-2011, 01:08 AM
haha, Renee, youre my hero. i wouldntve been able to keep a straight face. :biggrin:

Kukem
06-26-2011, 09:16 AM
Props to you, Renee. I think that is one of the best ones I've read so far. I agree with the others, I could not have kept a straight face doing that either. Kudos to you!

Stainless
07-26-2011, 02:49 PM
I have a blog about what it's like being a DeLorean owner, and I got an email from a random lady yesterday:

"My son LOVES Back to the Future and is turning 4 years old on Saturday. He has asked for a Back to the Future themed party, and I thought that nothing would be cooler than a real DeLorean parked in front of our house when he wakes up on his birthday! I saw that you are in Utah, which is where we live and I know it's a long shot, but I wanted to see if there was any way we could borrow the car for a few hours! I would appreciate it so much if you would get in contact with me! [email protected]
Thanks so much!!"

Really lady? Do you randomly loan your cars to strangers for a few hours? I kindly let her know that my car is not operational right now. My coworker was blown away that someone would ask me that. I'm sure that would make his day, and maybe I'm a jerk, but I just don't trust people when it comes to that car.

DeLorean03
07-26-2011, 02:58 PM
Depending on how you handle it, it's not that crazy at all. A lot of owners loan their cars out (at a price) for events. I certainly wouldn't do it for free, but her request isn't THAT far out there.

stevedmc
07-26-2011, 03:02 PM
"My son LOVES Back to the Future and is turning 4 years old on Saturday. He has asked for a Back to the Future themed party, and I thought that nothing would be cooler than a real DeLorean parked in front of our house when he wakes up on his birthday!

I'm no genious, afterall I am the man without a brain, but it sounds like she is the BTTF fan and not him. I find it hard to believe a 3 year old would prefer watching a 25 year old film instead of whatever it is 3 year olds watch today.

SamHill
07-26-2011, 03:27 PM
I'm no genious, afterall I am the man without a brain, but it sounds like she is the BTTF fan and not him. I find it hard to believe a 3 year old would prefer watching a 25 year old film instead of whatever it is 3 year olds watch today.

Rather she's showing off her "awesome 3 year old birthday party planning" to the other moms. "Yes... she really is a better mother than we are."

Jonathan
07-26-2011, 06:56 PM
From last Saturday's car show:

--> just as I was finishing chatting with someone normal, some dude walks by and informs his girlfriend that "this is the heaviest car ever made."

I thought maybe, just maybe it was a punny BTTF joke, but nope, this guy was convinced it weighed an excessive amount. I just let him keep walking. No sense trying to correct that guy. Especially not when the VIN plate was right under his nose indicating it's under 3,000 pounds. Have a nice day dude, here's your sign.

sdg3205
07-26-2011, 07:16 PM
One I got recently:

"These were built on a Pontiac Fiero chassis."

I really would love to know where some of these come from.

lazabby
07-30-2011, 10:38 AM

The next time someone comes up to me and says that my car is a Nissan, I'll know where it started!

Roman Legion
07-30-2011, 11:29 AM
I have a blog about what it's like being a DeLorean owner, and I got an email from a random lady yesterday:

"My son LOVES Back to the Future and is turning 4 years old on Saturday. He has asked for a Back to the Future themed party, and I thought that nothing would be cooler than a real DeLorean parked in front of our house when he wakes up on his birthday! I saw that you are in Utah, which is where we live and I know it's a long shot, but I wanted to see if there was any way we could borrow the car for a few hours! I would appreciate it so much if you would get in contact with me! [email protected]
Thanks so much!!"

Really lady? Do you randomly loan your cars to strangers for a few hours? I kindly let her know that my car is not operational right now. My coworker was blown away that someone would ask me that. I'm sure that would make his day, and maybe I'm a jerk, but I just don't trust people when it comes to that car.

My reply to that email would have sounded as if Sam Kinison himself wrote it..lol

07-30-2011, 03:27 PM

Thanks so much!!"

I'd have said, "I don't lend my Delorean out but I do "loan" it out for a fee. I get X amount for 3 hours which includes all the photos you want to take." "The first kid that sits or jumps on my car I get payment in full and leave".

Or something you feel comfortable with.

sdg3205
07-30-2011, 03:30 PM
I'd have said, "I don't lend my Delorean out but I do "loan" it out for a fee. I get X amount for 3 hours which includes all the photos you want to take." "The first kid that sits or jumps on my car I get payment in full and leave".

Or something you feel comfortable with.

I would have asked to borrow her son and claim to have some landscaping for him to do for free.

DeLorean03
07-30-2011, 03:34 PM
I would only do company/adult themed (NOT the way it sounds)/BTTF showings with my car, and I'd be there the entire time within 30 feet of the car. Kids are simply too much a liability. I'd have a contract and bill of sale printed and ready at all times and signed BEFORE the car shows up.

In this day and age, honestly, it's amazing what some people do. And if you don't cover your butt - man - I feel for you.

Renee_1632
07-30-2011, 04:04 PM
This exchange happened yesterday as I was arranging towing services for 1632.

Me: Hi yeah I'm calling for roadside assistance.
Insurance guy: Okay. Which car on your profile?
Me: 1981 DeLorean. I think it's an issue with the fuel pump.
IG: you sure it's not the flux capacitor?

SamHill
07-30-2011, 05:20 PM
Recent uptick in comments from that Pawn Shop show.

Roman Legion
07-31-2011, 06:32 AM
This exchange happened yesterday as I was arranging towing services for 1632.

Me: Hi yeah I'm calling for roadside assistance.
Insurance guy: Okay. Which car on your profile?
Me: 1981 DeLorean. I think it's an issue with the fuel pump.
IG: you sure it's not the flux capacitor?

Again, I point out my response..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czmb6tEwFE8

dhaney
07-31-2011, 07:10 AM
From last Saturday's car show:

--> just as I was finishing chatting with someone normal, some dude walks by and informs his girlfriend that "this is the heaviest car ever made."

I thought maybe, just maybe it was a punny BTTF joke, but nope, this guy was convinced it weighed an excessive amount. I just let him keep walking. No sense trying to correct that guy. Especially not when the VIN plate was right under his nose indicating it's under 3,000 pounds. Have a nice day dude, here's your sign.

If that were to ever happen again, back when the Deleloran was still being manufactured the heaviest production car made was the Lincoln Mark VI. It was a TWO SEATER but it was huge about the length of a football field but had a ride like it was on a cloud because of its soft suspension and the fact that they filled the frame with lead!

Dan

stevedmc
08-19-2011, 11:44 AM
I was running late for something the other night and needed to change clothes so I ran to McDonalds to make use of their restroom. A few employees started gathering around the car and this was my conversation with one of them.

Employee: What kind of car is that?
Me: Its a Delorean.
Employee: What does that mean?
Me: It means it's a Delorean.

Everyone else seemed to recognize the car. His associates seemed to have a good time messing with the poor guy after that.

I also got the standard, "How much did it cost" question. I asked the guy what he thought it was worth and he said $200k.

Dracula
08-19-2011, 11:56 AM
I also got the standard, "How much did it cost" question. I asked the guy what he thought it was worth and he said $200k.

I've started encouraging this rumor. After all, that's an offer that would get me to sell my car.

Roman Legion
08-19-2011, 12:19 PM
I've started encouraging this rumor. After all, that's an offer that would get me to sell my car.

I will give you $200k in Zimbabwean dollars for your car.. If that is not good enough, how about a Million Zimbabwean dollars? :8ball:

Dracula
08-19-2011, 12:20 PM
I will give you $200k in Zimbabwean dollars for your car.. If that is not good enough, how about a Million Zimbabwean dollars? :8ball:

I've already got ONE HUNDRED TRILLION DOLLARS in their currency; it's a single bill.

DeloreanJoshQ
08-19-2011, 12:24 PM
I was running late for something the other night and needed to change clothes so I ran to McDonalds to make use of their restroom. A few employees started gathering around the car and this was my conversation with one of them.

Employee: What kind of car is that?
Me: Its a Delorean.
Employee: What does that mean?
Me: It means it's a Delorean.

Everyone else seemed to recognize the car. His associates seemed to have a good time messing with the poor guy after that.

I went through McDonalds drive-thru with my car recently.
"Damn! Are those Lambo doors or suicide doors?"...."They are gull-wing doors"
"How much did it cost you to install them?"...."about $25,000"..."Damn! That is tight!"

stevedmc
08-19-2011, 12:29 PM
"How much did it cost you to install them?"...."about $25,000"..."Damn! That is tight!"

I love it.

Kenny_Z
08-19-2011, 01:54 PM
My neighbor stopped by while I was working on the car to tell me some of the funny comments one of his buddies said when he noticed my car. The guy told him the stainless skin was so thick that the car was bulletproof. I'm thankful he did not test that hypothesis. Continuing with that theme I also got 'heaviest car ever made."

I haven't taken my D through a drive through. I may have to try this weekend just to get some comments.

DeLorean03
08-19-2011, 01:56 PM
I'm at a sandwich shop on the patio eating with Jessica. First encounter is pretty cool. Lil' kid - maybe 7-8 years old comes out flipping:

Him:"OMG. It's a DeLorean! I can't believe I'm seeing one!"

Jessica opens both doors for him while I watch

Him:"I have GOT to get a picture of this!!"

He walks around the car with his sister, exclaiming "These cars sell for SO MUCH. I've seen how much they go for. They are a LOT."

All of that I thought was adorable. About an hour later comes the idiot part. 2 guys walk up looking like active duty military in civies. One of them gets his camera out taking pictures, so I go over to open the door for him to be polite and let him get a closer look. I notice he does NOT walk over and look but actually turns his back as I open the door.

His buddy: "Dude, he opened the door for you."
Asshole: "Yeah, I know. I'm jealous"

WTF is that? You're so jealous over what someone has you act like you're blowing them off when they try to be nice to you? What a crock of idiot-crap.

I thought it was funny someone who was 7-8 years old acted more mature and handled the situation better than some dumbass whose Ed Hardy prolly was in the wash that evening.....

Roman Legion
08-19-2011, 02:59 PM
I've already got ONE HUNDRED TRILLION DOLLARS in their currency; it's a single bill.

You drive a hard bargain.. Alright.. How about a Quadrillion Zimbabwe Dollars? lol.. Go to a local paper after a the sale and tell them ho much it sold for.. Just omit the Zimbabwe part.. :hexer:

I thought it would be awesome if someone replaced all their monoploy money with Zimbabwe money.. Imagine playing with that!

DeloreanJoshQ
08-19-2011, 06:00 PM
My neighbor stopped by while I was working on the car to tell me some of the funny comments one of his buddies said when he noticed my car. The guy told him the stainless skin was so thick that the car was bulletproof. I'm thankful he did not test that hypothesis. Continuing with that theme I also got 'heaviest car ever made."

I haven't taken my D through a drive through. I may have to try this weekend just to get some comments.

I have done it several times...usually everyone behind the counter flocks to the drive-through window. One time I heard what sounded like a camera click and it turned out to be a guy taking a pic with his cell phone but he didn't want me to see him taking the pic so he took it out of view. I usually order with the door closed and always have to get the food with the door open of course which causes all of the interesting comments...

stevedmc
08-19-2011, 06:29 PM
Today at Walmart a guy asked me if the car was for sale. I said sure, if the price is right. He said how much and I asked him how much he had. He didn't answer so I asked how much he thought it was worth. Same drill. I asked him how much he had again and he finally said $6k. Needless to say, he didn't get to buy my car.

Farrar
09-01-2011, 12:40 PM
While I was changing the fuel pump, a woman walked by and the following conversation ensued:

Her: "Can I ask you a question?"
Me: "Yes."
Her: "Why don't you put a cover over it?"
Me: "Because I hate dealing with wet car covers."
Her: "Why didn't you put it in some shade to work on it?"
Me: "Because I'm changing the fuel pump."
Her: "Oh. That makes sense."
Me: "I'll sell it to you for $35,000."
Her: "What?"
Me: "Well, I don't know if you noticed, but the first words out of your mouth implied that I wasn't taking good enough care of this car. If you want to do better, then I will sell it to you and you can take care of it."
Her: "Sorry. My friend and I walk by here a lot and it's a pretty rare car."
Me: "Yes, it's rare, but I've owned it for four years and I drive it regularly, so I think I'm doing okay."
Her: "It hasn't moved from this parking spot in weeks."
Me: "I am waiting for some air conditioning parts to arrive. Until then, I don't feel like driving it when it's 105 degrees outside. And it's possible to leave a parking spot and then return to the same parking spot. I do it with my other car, too."
Her: "Okay."
Me: "If you're done criticizing now, I'd like to get back to work."

She left.

Some people...!

Farrar

82DMC12
09-01-2011, 12:56 PM
While I was changing the fuel pump, a woman walked by and the following conversation ensued:

Her: "Can I ask you a question?"
Me: "Yes."
Her: "Why don't you put a cover over it?"
Me: "Because I hate dealing with wet car covers."
Her: "Why didn't you put it in some shade to work on it?"
Me: "Because I'm changing the fuel pump."
Her: "Oh. That makes sense."
Me: "I'll sell it to you for $35,000."
Her: "What?"
Me: "Well, I don't know if you noticed, but the first words out of your mouth implied that I wasn't taking good enough care of this car. If you want to do better, then I will sell it to you and you can take care of it."
Her: "Sorry. My friend and I walk by here a lot and it's a pretty rare car."
Me: "Yes, it's rare, but I've owned it for four years and I drive it regularly, so I think I'm doing okay."
Her: "It hasn't moved from this parking spot in weeks."
Me: "I am waiting for some air conditioning parts to arrive. Until then, I don't feel like driving it when it's 105 degrees outside. And it's possible to leave a parking spot and then return to the same parking spot. I do it with my other car, too."
Her: "Okay."
Me: "If you're done criticizing now, I'd like to get back to work."

She left.

Some people...!

Farrar

Unless there's more to this story, in my opinion you sound like a total douche. She probably thinks the same thing. Just saying.

Andy

sean
09-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Unless there's more to this story, in my opinion you sound like a total douche. She probably thinks the same thing. Just saying.

Andy

Kinda agree, she came off to me as thinking you had a super rare valuable collector car and she was just surprised you didn't keep it like a baseball card. Probably didnt cross her mind the actual value of the car and how it is your driver and not some keepsake. Maybe that heat really got to you while working :D.

Dracula
09-01-2011, 01:00 PM
Is this one of those "you had to be there to hear it" conversations where intonation makes all the difference in the world?

Dangermouse
09-01-2011, 01:01 PM
Well, LAH DEE DAH!!

Farrar
09-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Is this one of those "you had to be there to hear it" conversations where intonation makes all the difference in the world?

Well, she didn't introduce herself or even say hello. She just started talking while I was up to my neck in the trunk. When I first heard her say "Can I ask you a question?" I looked up from where I was working, and didn't see where her voice has come from. Then she said "Yeah. YOU." I don't think that's a nice way to address anyone, much less a complete stranger.

Throughout the entire conversation, she just stood there, frowning at me, asking her questions in an arrogant tone of voice. I guess I'm old-fashioned, but I would have preferred a "Hi, I'm _______. Welcome to the neighborhood," first. Doesn't anyone say "Hello" anymore?

If that makes me an asshole, then I guess I'm an asshole. :shrug:

Farrar

Stainless
09-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Ha! I love it. With hearing more of the story, your responses are definitely justified. :bigclap:

Ikeaboy1
09-01-2011, 02:39 PM
If she didn't even bother introducing herself before she starting questioning the way the car is taken care of, it would've pissed me off. I loved the, 'I'll sell it to you' part, too. I'll have to remember that.

SamHill
09-01-2011, 06:57 PM
She was totally coming on to you.

Farrar
09-02-2011, 09:39 AM
She was totally coming on to you.

Fortunately, I have a girlfriend who is at least twenty years younger than that woman is, and therefore a lot less icky.

Farrar

dvonk
09-02-2011, 11:18 AM
:hysterical:

sdg3205
10-18-2011, 02:49 AM
Man walks over with his (attractive and intelligent) wife.

Man - "Hey, tell my my wife this is the car from BTTF"

Me - "this is the car from BTTF"

Wife - "This is really exciting!"

Man - "It is?"

Wife - "Yes, it just makes me want to smile"

Man - "It does?"

Wife - "Yeah this is really cool!"

Man - "It is?"

Me - "Hey. It's okay to like DeLoreans."

Jacko
10-18-2011, 04:22 AM
I was walking the long walk to 4915 in the Wal-Mart parking lot today and was intercepted by the dude gathering shopping carts ... you know the guy ... leaned over pushing a train of probably a hundred carts and displaying his plumber's crack even though he was standing up.

Him: hey, is that your Delorean over there?

Me: yes, I believe it is.

Him: you've got two of 'em don't you?

Me: yes, I do.

Him: don't they run on electricity?

Me (after a moment to think): Why yes, they most certainly do.

Him: I know a lot about cars.

tyb323
10-18-2011, 10:25 AM
I was walking the long walk to 4915 in the Wal-Mart parking lot today and was intercepted by the dude gathering shopping carts ... you know the guy ... leaned over pushing a train of probably a hundred carts and displaying his plumber's crack even though he was standing up.

Him: hey, is that your Delorean over there?

Me: yes, I believe it is.

Him: you've got two of 'em don't you?

Me: yes, I do.

Him: don't they run on electricity?

Me (after a moment to think): Why yes, they most certainly do.

Him: I know a lot about cars.

I've had several people ask me if the car was electric in the past few months. Maybe the popularization of electric cars is just doing that...

DMCVegas
10-18-2011, 11:15 AM
Ha! I love it. With hearing more of the story, your responses are definitely justified. :bigclap:

As someone who once had a random stranger tell me that I shouldn't be driving my car because it belonged in a museum, I'm in total agreement.

robvanderveer
10-18-2011, 01:10 PM
At a car event last summer, some guy came up to me and said: "Promise me one thing: never, ever, ever, ever, sell that car! It's awesome and you'll regret selling it for the rest of your life" - and promptly left without a further word.

Renee_1632
10-18-2011, 01:29 PM
At a car event last summer, some guy came up to me and said: "Promise me one thing: never, ever, ever, ever, sell that car! It's awesome and you'll regret selling it for the rest of your life" - and promptly left without a further word.

That's not a stupid comment, it's sound advice! Wonder if that's what he did?

robvanderveer
10-18-2011, 03:23 PM

Oh right indeed. Yes, Lol, I forgot the topic of the thread... It was indeed a good bit of advice

Roman Legion
10-18-2011, 03:57 PM

He promptly returned home and like Richard Cory, he put a bullet in his head.. Atonement for selling his own DeLorean.. :dead:

I agree, he gave you sound advice!

robvanderveer
10-18-2011, 04:05 PM
He promptly returned home and like Richard Cory, he put a bullet in his head.. Atonement for selling his own DeLorean.. :dead:

A man speaking so many true words would a) not put a bullet in his head and b) never have bought a DeLorean in the first place.

Roman Legion
10-18-2011, 04:24 PM
A man speaking so many true words would a) not put a bullet in his head and b) never have bought a DeLorean in the first place.

Everything is relative.. And apparently my attempt at humour was a failure, for which I must now seek the aforementioned atonement..

dmcpom
10-22-2011, 06:54 AM
Over here in aus people are pretty cool driving through the gold coast you get people shouting out out ITS A DELOREAN and pointing ,
also three big fellas out side a shop late at night asked questions
1, said do you get many flux capacitor jokes ?? I said enough to give you the finger which I did and tell you to f@#k off and laughed which thank god he did to lol,
and another said another bttf comment which I gave the same reply , they were pretty cool fellas and I showed em round and let them sit in it . it makes there day which makes mine as long as there not idiots :-)I love it when the kids like it and the cards from dmc with info are great that and a toy hot wheels delorean the kids love.
I also took it to harragins car show which is a hot rod and american car show cudas ,dodge etc and they loved it to , not a patch on there mint cars though :-)

Renee_1632
10-22-2011, 12:32 PM
First, a back story: This happened last Saturday about 11pm. My friend Josh and I went to Ralph's, and he ran in while I stayed in the car and popped the door for ventilation. About a minute later, a large white van pulled into a spot behind me and as soon as the door opened I heard loud drunken slurring. Crap. At this point I had a decision to make: do I close the door and draw attention to myself? or sit still and hope no one sees me? So I kept the door open and waited. And Drunk Guy saw me.

DG: No way...no way! No way! No way... *stumbles over*
Me: Yeah. I'm real.
DG: (mumbling) no way...no way... *starts petting car*
(Josh walks up)
DG: *looking at josh* NO WAY! *looks back at me* Why...why are you HERE?!
Me: We're supposed to tell you that whatever you're doing next, you probably shouldn't do.
Josh: Actually, we're a little late. We were supposed to tell you not to get drunk.
DG: LIAR! This...was a GREAT idea! (starts to wander off, I close the door)
Me: That was weird.
DG: *leaning through cutout window, poking my shoulder* POKE! POKE! POKE! SHE'S REAL!

So, not so much as a stupid comment as funny drunk guy story, but it still works :D

robvanderveer
10-22-2011, 03:00 PM
First, a back story: This happened last Saturday about 11pm. My friend Josh and I went to Ralph's, and he ran in while I stayed in the car and popped the door for ventilation. About a minute later, a large white van pulled into a spot behind me and as soon as the door opened I heard loud drunken slurring. Crap. At this point I had a decision to make: do I close the door and draw attention to myself? or sit still and hope no one sees me? So I kept the door open and waited. And Drunk Guy saw me.

DG: No way...no way! No way! No way... *stumbles over*
Me: Yeah. I'm real.
DG: (mumbling) no way...no way... *starts petting car*
(Josh walks up)
DG: *looking at josh* NO WAY! *looks back at me* Why...why are you HERE?!
Me: We're supposed to tell you that whatever you're doing next, you probably shouldn't do.
Josh: Actually, we're a little late. We were supposed to tell you not to get drunk.
DG: LIAR! This...was a GREAT idea! (starts to wander off, I close the door)
Me: That was weird.
DG: *leaning through cutout window, poking my shoulder* POKE! POKE! POKE! SHE'S REAL!

So, not so much as a stupid comment as funny drunk guy story, but it still works :D

You've just found the single reason for the small toll booth windows. It takes great skill to throw up through a tiny opening.

Loach43
10-23-2011, 11:11 PM
Today, a guy driving a really shiny Hummer gave me the 'a-ok' sign as if to say "I'm like you". It was brutally difficult to not to flip him off.

tyb323
10-24-2011, 09:44 AM
Today, a guy driving a really shiny Hummer gave me the 'a-ok' sign as if to say "I'm like you". It was brutally difficult to not to flip him off.

Why? Hummers were cool, although impractical. I'm of course talking about an H1. If an H2 or H3 did that to you, meh. They like your car, take it as a compliment! Remember, at the end of the day, our cars up till 5 years ago had a mainly negative stereotype attatched to them too (cocaine), which thanks to DMCH's marketing, is being phased out in favor of news about electric cars and whatnot.

SIMid
10-26-2011, 10:13 PM
At the servo filling up next to another guy at another pump ...........

"Is that a kit car?"

"What, my Delorean?"

"Yeah."

"Yup, it's got a wire frame body built with chicken wire, coated with paper mache, then wrapped with aluminium foil."

"You did a great job."

"Yeah I know, the Irish knew what they were doing."

Michael
10-26-2011, 10:49 PM
That story just gave me a idea for a new tag...."NOTAKIT"

Mark D
10-27-2011, 09:47 AM
Haha... that was such an awesome response. I'm not sure where the whole kit car thing ever got started in the fiirst place. Maybe they think it's like those fiero to lambo kit conversions or something?

Mark D
10-27-2011, 09:49 AM
That story just gave me a idea for a new tag...."NOTAKIT"

To me that could also read "no take it" as in "don't steal it"

Ron
10-27-2011, 07:05 PM
Haha... that was such an awesome response. I'm not sure where the whole kit car thing ever got started in the fiirst place. Maybe they think it's like those fiero to lambo kit conversions or something?
LOL!..I saw NO..um..NOT A KIT then NO TAKE IT, as in Please, do!

Ron
10-27-2011, 07:08 PM
Simon, is it hard to keep a straight face when you are upside down there?

Jonathan
10-27-2011, 08:40 PM

LOL, I see what you're doing there ;)

........I worked in Colorado Springs a while back and while having dinner at a Ruby Tuesday's the bartender (who was from Michigan) when I told him I was from Canada asked me "if it was light out there?". Really? You really think it is so far north that the sun doesn't shine? And dude grew up in a place that is probably farther north than where I was from!

SIMid
10-27-2011, 09:05 PM

Not sure, I keep passing out as I get head rushes all the time.

jawn101
12-11-2011, 12:19 PM
This old guy in a BMW pulled up next to me at a light the other day. Confused look on his face, he motions for me to roll down the window and proceeds to ask me "hey, what kind of car is that?"

"DeLorean", I tell him.

"Oh yeah! I used to have one of those!"

pezzonovante88
12-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Unfortunately, that's too long to holler back at someone. I've just taken to returning the favor as it were.

Example exchange:

Guy in a Corolla: "DELOREAN!!!"
Me: "TOYOTA!!!"

Farrar

hahahaha!

congerz83
12-11-2011, 03:59 PM

I agree, he gave you sound advice!

Do you work in his factory?

Roman Legion
12-11-2011, 08:33 PM
Do you work in his factory?

Only on tuesdays..

SIMid
12-11-2011, 11:50 PM
"Nice Scorpion" :eek7:

http://members.fortunecity.com/hardtops/images/Mitsubishi/Mvc-012f.jpg

Michael
12-12-2011, 08:28 AM
"Nice Scorpion" :eek7:

He was probably referring to a Lancia Scorpion....still doesn't make it right though.

http://www.cannillomotorsports.com/pastinventory/scorpion/DSC03527.JPG

thirdmanj
12-12-2011, 04:02 PM
Wow, I've never even seen one of those before! I'm afraid I'd be guilty of mistaking that for a DeLorean, if it was silver, and after just a quick glance of course!

On a side note, this past weekend SamHill Drove his 7041 to the meet without the louvres installed. I always felt that the louvres belonged and completed the look but after seeing his drive without it I sorta like it. I know Proto-1 didn't have louvres, so I guess it makes sense.

Does anyone drive, or know of anyone who drives louvre-less by choice?

SIMid
12-12-2011, 04:30 PM
He was probably referring to a Lancia Scorpion....still doesn't make it right though.

http://www.cannillomotorsports.com/pastinventory/scorpion/DSC03527.JPG

This Lancia was called the Montecarlo here in Australia. The Scorpion was a more popular model here. But +1 on the Lancia, very similar to the D ...... if you squint!

Dracula
12-12-2011, 05:41 PM

I've driven a few hundred miles without them and I've noticed that it results in a decrease in fuel economy and a slightly higher operating temperature, so I put them back on the car.

Spittybug
12-12-2011, 06:51 PM

Semi. An "homage" to Giorgetto Giugiaro who designed not only our cars but also the Maserati Merak http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads13/1980_maserati_merak_02_m1212808129.jpg

SIMid
12-12-2011, 08:13 PM

Semi. An "homage" to Giorgetto Giugiaro who designed not only our cars but also the Maserati Merak http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads13/1980_maserati_merak_02_m1212808129.jpg

Not having the side rear quarters glass may reduce the buffering? I'm not an engineering expect, but seems logical.

timothymoore
12-13-2011, 09:43 AM
had someone at school before break tell me that ford and GM made engines for the D lol.

Stainless
12-13-2011, 10:32 AM
I haven't had too many stupid comments lately, but that's probably because I haven't been able to drive the D as much.

As I was filling up with gas, the guy across the pump from me pulls up, gets out and says, "Did you just get back from the future?" I just sarcastically told him that I've never heard that one before.

Last week, after trying to start the car after not driving it for weeks, it took a really long time to get it started. My neighbor hears me cranking the engine for a while and said, "Maybe you should charge the flux capacitor." Very insightful.

MML
12-13-2011, 10:48 AM
I got my first "where are the drugs hidden?" joke the other day. Followed by "you know why these cars keep pulling to the centre of the road? They're trying to snort the white lines!"

Since I got the car, I get called Marty McFly a lot. Being actually called Martin doesn't help!

SIMid
12-13-2011, 09:03 PM
Last week, after trying to start the car after not driving it for weeks, it took a really long time to get it started. My neighbor hears me cranking the engine for a while and said, "Maybe you should charge the flux capacitor."

Should had replied back "Got any plutonium?"

I'm pretty quick off my feet with comebacks, so this is up my alley when I get some of these comments thrown at me.

------------------------------------

"Where's Doc?" (very popular)
"He's out buying cotton underwear."

"Where's the FC?"
*Push the driver's seat forward showing Sal's handy work*
*Then a nod of approval* (usually)

"Is that a Delorean?"
"I guess you lost your viginity seeing a Delorean huh?"

"Does she go fast?"
"88 and gone mate."

Renee_1632
12-13-2011, 09:03 PM
I don't know why I get such a high incident of dumb comments. Maybe it's because I'm on a Marine base with the average demographic being a 19 year old male with an IQ of 87. Anyways, this happened this weekend.

Guy: Hey! Nice car!
Me: Thanks.
Guy: Good job owning one, they're really collectible and expensive!
Me: Well, actually--
Guy: you know there were only 75 ever made right? They're all worth 100k.
Me: Actually there were about 9000 made. And a good one is worth about 25k
Guy: No, you're wrong
Me: Excuse me?

He then proceeded to tell me they were manufactured in Austin Texas in the 1970's. :confused2:

opethmike
12-13-2011, 09:06 PM
I don't know why I get such a high incident of dumb comments. Maybe it's because I'm on a Marine base with the average demographic being a 19 year old male with an IQ of 87. Anyways, this happened this weekend.

Guy: Hey! Nice car!
Me: Thanks.
Guy: Good job owning one, they're really collectible and expensive!
Me: Well, actually--
Guy: you know there were only 75 ever made right? They're all worth 100k.
Me: Actually there were about 9000 made. And a good one is worth about 25k
Guy: No, you're wrong
Me: Excuse me?

He then proceeded to tell me they were manufactured in Austin Texas in the 1970's. :confused2:

Gotta love the I know more than the owner types.

Farrar
12-13-2011, 11:38 PM
Gotta love the I know more than the owner types.

Maybe DeLorean owners should start telling other drivers the same type of stuff.

"Hey, is that a DeLorean?"
"Yup."
"You know they were built in Canada to smuggle cocaine in the country, right?"
"Sure. Is that a Corolla?"
"Yeah."
"You know the Corolla was built in Venezuela for Hugo Chavez to smuggle hookers, right?"

...and so on.

I dunno, just an idea.

Farrar

krustydmc
12-13-2011, 11:48 PM
i'm in quebec and there was 1 car built in quebec :

the bernardi
http://www.forum-auto.com/uploads/200512/the_big_lebowski_1135349359_bernardi1.jpg

and one in new-brunswick

the Bricklin
http://www.ridelust.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/sv-1.jpg

every time i'm with my car

the people :nice bernardi or a bricklin

me : no it's a Delorean

the people : did you know your car was built in canada ( quebec or new brunswick )

me: no it's a Delorean , they were built in ireland

the people : are you sure ?

me: yes

the people : anyway they were maid by the same company...

i had this conversation 20 time with 20 different person and i own my car for only 4 month.....

thirdmanj
12-13-2011, 11:49 PM
I got this one leaving the parking garage at the mall today

Parking Attendant: "Is that the Batman car?"

I'd never heared that one before, so I just said "nope" and left it at that.

opethmike
12-13-2011, 11:59 PM
Maybe DeLorean owners should start telling other drivers the same type of stuff.

"Yup."
"Yeah."
"You know the Corolla was built in Venezuela for Hugo Chavez to smuggle hookers, right?"

...and so on.

I dunno, just an idea.

Farrar

I am so absolutely going to do that. My thing for the BTTF crap is pretending like I have absolutely no idea what BTTF is.

thirdmanj
12-14-2011, 12:06 AM
I am so absolutely going to do that. My thing for the BTTF crap is pretending like I have absolutely no idea what BTTF is.

LoL!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that. I always give up after about a minute and then we laugh. I try not to be dick about the comments because most times it's the first time the person has ever seen one and if I'm a dick, their only memories of DeLoreans is the asshole owner the talked to once. I guess I see myself as an ambassador of sorts. I try not to argue their misinformation about the car unless it's something REALY erroneous, JZD in prison, some had Ford engines blah blah blah.

DMCBRANDON5873
12-14-2011, 01:13 AM
I was at universal the other day and once I parked the D and cut it off I could hear the two parking attendant guys takling and the one guy was saying to the other "the engines in those cars were complete crap" and I opened the door he said "but the door technology in those cars were absolutely incredible " I just shook my head on the inside lol

Farrar
12-14-2011, 10:02 AM
Mike, you know I was joking, right? :P

My thing for the BTTF crap is pretending like I have absolutely no idea what BTTF is.

I don't go quite that far -- I just say I am aware of it but never seen it. Most people say "Hey, it's the Back to the Future car!" and I say "That's what I've been told, but I never got around to seeing it. That was in 1985, right?"

Farrar

Kenny_Z
12-14-2011, 09:48 PM
I got this one leaving the parking garage at the mall today

Parking Attendant: "Is that the Batman car?"

I'd never heared that one before, so I just said "nope" and left it at that.

Actually I was reading a book about batman's history and it had a 2 page comic book style cutaway of the Batcave. In the parking lot of Batmobiles there's a black car that has more than just a passing resemblance to a Delorean. I didn't buy the book (expensive) and I can't seem to find a picture online.

Roman Legion
12-15-2011, 01:33 PM
Mike, you know I was joking, right? :P

I don't go quite that far -- I just say I am aware of it but never seen it. Most people say "Hey, it's the Back to the Future car!" and I say "That's what I've been told, but I never got around to seeing it. That was in 1985, right?"

Farrar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOIKZTnJpQc

bkntym
12-15-2011, 04:54 PM
I was approched by a cab driver at a Coffee shop who wanted to tell me about my car.
So i let him.

Did you know those cars are made of aluminum? he said.

I said . " i wasn't sure but thanks "

Then he said . these things were built in New Brunswick

I said , " i think that was the Bricklin , but you might be right."

Then the kicker ..... he said . Delorean was a drug addict and got life in jail for importing cocaine , you shoud take your door panles off and see if theres some in there
cause thats how he smuggled it.

I said . i believe that too was the Bricklin car company .

I have found that about 50 % of people like to look and make nice comments. but the other half have a need to tell me about my car ...even when they started the conversation with.. wow ive never actualy seen one of these.

Its a funny world , enjoy the ride.:fancy:

Stainless
12-29-2011, 04:46 PM
While I was off work for Christmas, I drove the DeLorean a lot. I stopped by Walmart to get some stuff. As I got in the car to leave, I heard this "Hey you!" I didn't see anybody, but thought that whoever said that was inevitably talking to me. A guy then comes over and asks if he can take a picture of my car, which I say is fine. I then got the "how much did you pay for it" question.

I told him that it was kind of a personal question, and I then asked him how much he paid for his house. The joke was ruined when he told me he didn't own a house. I then waited a good minute while he walked around the car snapping photos, and that was the stupid comment of the day. http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

pezzonovante88
12-29-2011, 05:26 PM
While I was off work for Christmas, I drove the DeLorean a lot. I stopped by Walmart to get some stuff. As I got in the car to leave, I heard this "Hey you!" I didn't see anybody, but thought that whoever said that was inevitably talking to me. A guy then comes over and asks if he can take a picture of my car, which I say is fine. I then got the "how much did you pay for it" question.

I told him that it was kind of a personal question, and I then asked him how much he paid for his house. The joke was ruined when he told me he didn't own a house. I then waited a good minute while he walked around the car snapping photos, and that was the stupid comment of the day. http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

Hahaha I liked that one!

stevedmc
12-29-2011, 06:12 PM
The joke was ruined when he told me he didn't own a house.

Maybe we should start asking people about their salary.

mluder
12-29-2011, 08:00 PM
OK... I can get behind this with one modification. Try this...

"Is that a DeLorean?"
(then play it off)
"Yeah, Yeah..." (and then get real excited about their car) "Is that a Corvette?" (when it's clearly a GEO Metro)
"No, it's a GEO Metro."
(Walking all around it) "NO, NO - I've heard about these... It's that new hybrid subcompact Corvette! These thing go 0-60 in like 3 seconds if you but the right kind of gas in it."
Then RUN back to your car saying as loud as possible, "Wait 'til lI tell the guys!"
Get in your car and drive away.

"Yup."
"Yeah."

...and so on.

I dunno, just an idea.

Farrar

thirdmanj
12-29-2011, 09:27 PM
OK... I can get behind this with one modification. Try this...

"Is that a DeLorean?"
(then play it off)
"Yeah, Yeah..." (and then get real excited about their car) "Is that a Corvette?" (when it's clearly a GEO Metro)
"No, it's a GEO Metro."
(Walking all around it) "NO, NO - I've heard about these... It's that new hybrid subcompact Corvette! These thing go 0-60 in like 3 seconds if you but the right kind of gas in it."
Then RUN back to your car saying as loud as possible, "Wait 'til lI tell the guys!"
Get in your car and drive away.

Gold dude. Fucking gold.

DMC3165
12-29-2011, 11:37 PM
Gold dude. Fucking gold.

+1

could not stop laughing when i read that

:hysterical:

vwdmc16
12-30-2011, 02:51 PM
Not really a comment but last night I was out on the interstate and a mk4 Golf rolled up beside with a pair 20 yr old punk watercooled vw guys in it, the driver gave me the finger with a cheery smile.

Im guessing that meant " fuck you im jealous all I can afford is a shitty golf"

Kinda caught me off gaurd

robvanderveer
12-30-2011, 03:09 PM
another one i hear quite often:

"Do you still have that DeLorean?"

stevedmc
12-30-2011, 03:40 PM
Not really a comment but last night I was out on the interstate and a mk4 Golf rolled up beside with a pair 20 yr old punk watercooled vw guys in it, the driver gave me the finger with a cheery smile.

Those same guys were driving around Baton Rouge in a beat up pickup truck. They flipped me off a few weeks ago.

Stainless
12-30-2011, 04:08 PM
As I was walking in to Subway for lunch, some dude that works at the AutoZone next door yells, "Is that a real DeLorean?" I just said "Yep," and went inside to eat. I'm not quick enough to say something smart, like, "Nope. It's one of those fake Fieros." He then proceeded to take bunch of pictures around the car while I was inside eating.

DMC3165
12-30-2011, 04:38 PM

I can relate. Last spring on my way back from Grady's some A-hole in a beat up mid 90's Camaro tried to show me who's boss. While passing McArthur airport I spotted him at the light on Rt 454. He then whipped out peeling tires and all. He weaved in and out trough traffic to catch up to me. Right after we crossed over the rail road tracks on Ocean Ave he dumped the clutch and put his car sideways spraying rocks and dirt all over my car. I was so stark raving man I was tempted to chase him down and tear him out if his shitbox just to read him the riot act. But we were neck and neck going throug the intersection and that was that. Doubt I could've caught him anyway. I was so pissed. I was on my way back from having body work done too. Some people are just asses!

TimD
12-30-2011, 04:39 PM

In all seriousness, that has to be it. I loathe Chevrolet Avalanches, but I don't go around giving owners the finger; I just feel sorry for them.

Rhsxo
12-30-2011, 11:39 PM

How weird! I hope I don't get that reaction when I pick up my car in the April.

kajcienski
12-30-2011, 11:57 PM
Okay, I might be in a position to trump... (not really) But the last time I came back from PJG I looked in my rear view and saw what looked like the bottom of a motorcycle. Actually, it was! Some guy was doing a wheely at 60mph, dropped the front end, honked, and sped past. After the shock, I realized that what his way of giving me a very dangerous thumb's up.

Henrik
12-31-2011, 09:19 AM
Going north on I-45 on my way home to Dallas from the 2011 Open House at DMC in Houston a few months ago, I was driving in the right lane and in my rear view mirror I noticed that the left lane was pretty congested. Then I realized what was happening: People were taking turns driving up next to me on my left side, taking pictures and videos with their camera phones, then they would speed up and pass me and move in front of me. Then another would move up on my left side and so on. It seemed that just about everyone were below 30 and were just so excited, giving me thumbs up etc.

Then I stopped somewhere along the interstate to get something to eat. When I came back to my car some guy was just in awe over my car; he just stood there and waived me goodbye as I left, as if I was leaving an old friend.

Yesterday I went to the bank and a lady was just yelling "a Delorean, that is just so cool!"

I tell you, here in north Dallas, nobody cares if a Ferrari or Porsche drives by but when you show up in a D it is a different story...

MTDMC
12-31-2011, 11:52 PM
This is the first time I heard this one.

Did that car come with a wooden frame?

tyb323
01-02-2012, 01:12 AM
This is the first time I heard this one.

Did that car come with a wooden frame?

He's thinking of a Morgan.

http://jalopnik.com/5226093/morgan-aero-supersports-gives-us-wood

T_Stanley
01-03-2012, 05:58 PM
I was at a Sonic one night with the D and this old guy walks up to me and says "Nice Bricklin." I said "thank you but this is a DeLorean." He spends about ten minutes telling me that this is NOT a DeLorean but a Bricklin. So I take him to the back of the car, point to the rear bumper and ask him "what does this say???'' Then I take out the owners manual and point to the cover and ask the same question. Then I take him to the front grill, point to the emblem and ask the same question. But just in case he didnt get that one I say DMC as in DeLorean Motor Company. He just said "oh" and walked off

Kenny_Z
01-04-2012, 11:06 PM
Before I started my Nova's restoration I used to get "Nice Falcon!" and I would argue with people over what the car was when it clearly said Nova on the quarter panels. I eventually got tired of it and would just respond with "thank you , I love my chevy falconova."

Yesterday I was in the autoparts parking lot leaving after ordering some parts for my daily. I knew parking on the highway facing side of the lot was probably a bad idea because I was tired and just wanted to get home. Unfortunately it was the only spot free. I came out when a beat up ford caprice pulled up next to me and a young kid jumped out and was practically running around the car. I opened the door and he asked if it was mine. His english was pretty bad but he tried to ask questions about the car and I tried my best to answer. Even though I just wanted to get home I was nice and even let him sit in the car. I must of been there for over 10 minutes. Today when I picked up my parts I took the Mustang. The guy behind the counter asked where the Delorean was with a smirk, then he said "you just didn't want to get stuck in the parking lot again did you?" I had to laugh and tell him yes, I didn't want as much attention today.

aludden
01-05-2012, 09:33 AM
I went to the post office the other day and this guy and a girl come up. I guess he was trying to impress her because he said:
"Oh yeah, I used to have one of those - except mine was bronze-color!"

dmc6960
01-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Oh yeah, I used to have one of those

Yep, nearly everybody has "had one of those" at some point. And for those who haven't, their uncle, father, neighbor, friend, co-worker has. I think they're all telling the truth and its our assumption of ~9000 produced is way too low!

aludden
01-05-2012, 10:37 AM
Yep, nearly everybody has "had one of those" at some point. And for those who haven't, their uncle, father, neighbor, friend, co-worker has. I think they're all telling the truth and its our assumption of ~9000 produced is way too low!

Obviously, someone went back and changed the future so they all faded...

But I've yet to see a bronze-colored D!!! :headscratch:

It's like the old joke of the (insert your favorite minority here) athlete that had his gold medal bronzed.

Dangermouse
01-05-2012, 12:28 PM
O

But I've yet to see a bronze-colored D!!! :headscratch:

taa-daa

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=7621&d=1325784382

sorry, couldn't resist.

here you go, courtesy of John in Belgium I think. But it's obviously canadian

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=7622&d=1325784383

aludden
01-05-2012, 12:56 PM
taa-daa

sorry, couldn't resist.

Well, OK, that is a beautiful one. I bet it wasn't owned by the guy I talked to. :-)

pezzonovante88
01-05-2012, 04:15 PM
taa-daa

sorry, couldn't resist.

That's actually not THAT bad looking. It's also got Ontario plates. Weird.

Cory W
01-05-2012, 04:25 PM
The gold painted car is a Toronto car. The owner is an active Ontario DeLorean Owner's Club (ODOC) member.

jmrydholm
01-05-2012, 05:12 PM
I had a bright, green post-it note placed under the wipers the other day. "If you're ever interested in selling the car, please call ...." blah blah, etc.

Wait- "If I am ever interested in selling the car"

I made a mental note to ask the Missouri DMV to make my next license plate NT4-SLE.
Then I made this face:

http://mod-map.preske.be/pfftch.jpg

vwdmc16
01-05-2012, 08:34 PM
someone keeps leaving notes on my '99 isuzu Trooper asking if its for sale.

jawn101
01-05-2012, 08:39 PM
someone keeps leaving notes on my '99 isuzu Trooper asking if its for sale.

Haha, you're kidding... I know if I had my choice, I'd be after that sweet Corolla.... :)

Rhsxo
01-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Haha, you're kidding... I know if I had my choice, I'd be after that sweet Corolla.... :)

Screw the Corolla, what about his Z600?

Sorry about the thread hijacking.

jawn101
01-05-2012, 09:58 PM
Screw the Corolla, what about his Z600?

Sorry about the thread hijacking.

We *could* start a "which of Clint's cars would we steal" thread instead :) ... the Z is hot but it's his baby, and right now if I stole it I'd need him to finish building it for me anyway, which might prove awkward... :)

</hijack>

Ron
01-05-2012, 10:27 PM
We *could* start a "which of Clint's cars would we steal" thread instead :) ... the Z is hot but it's his baby, and right now if I stole it I'd need him to finish building it for me anyway, which might prove awkward... :)

</hijack>:hysterical:

vwdmc16
01-06-2012, 12:16 AM
ha, nice. The Z is mostly together, just still has a warped roof and no glass. but its drivable

hold out on that list until I get my other 2 project out of storage.

pezzonovante88
01-09-2012, 09:38 PM
One of the managers at my company heard I was getting a DeLorean, so he was fascinated because he apparently had one years ago. So we were chatting a bit about them and then he asked me if I was getting the "four or six cylinder" one. I nicely said the six.
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, though because he has had literally hundreds of strange cars (also a Bricklin), but sometimes I wonder about him.

DMC3165
01-09-2012, 09:49 PM
One of the managers at my company heard I was getting a DeLorean, so he was fascinated because he apparently had one years ago. So we were chatting a bit about them and then he asked me if I was getting the "four or six cylinder" one. I nicely said the six.
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, though because he has had literally hundreds of strange cars (also a Bricklin), but sometimes I wonder about him.

That's ok. I have a friend of mine from high school who's father still owns one. He's an original owner that parked it in 82 and hasn't looked at it in years. When I bought mine he asked which engine was in my car, the Peugeot or the Volvo. I politely said the PRV.

Farrar
01-09-2012, 11:11 PM

Perhaps his memory was confused -- the prototype was indeed moved by a Citroën four-cylinder engine.

Farrar

pezzonovante88
01-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Perhaps his memory was confused -- the prototype was indeed moved by a Citroën four-cylinder engine.

Farrar

Could be, but in the past he argues that my V8 Jag was had a straight 6.

Farrar
01-10-2012, 02:45 PM
Could be, but in the past he argues that my V8 Jag was had a straight 6.

Must be the opposite of that thing in Monty Python's "Holy Grail" where the King kept adding two to everything. :lol:

Farrar

congerz83
01-20-2012, 04:19 AM
That's ok. I have a friend of mine from high school who's father still owns one. He's an original owner that parked it in 82 and hasn't looked at it in years. When I bought mine he asked which engine was in my car, the Peugeot or the Volvo. I politely said the PRV.

I'd love to see pictures. I'm a big fan of the "parked it ** years ago" cars. Do you still keep in contact with your friend?

Stainless
01-21-2012, 11:32 AM
Pretty much all of the information in this thread I ran across:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5557582-Does-anyone-know-anything-about-the...-Delorean-DMC-12

jawn101
01-21-2012, 11:41 AM
Pretty much all of the information in this thread I ran across:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5557582-Does-anyone-know-anything-about-the...-Delorean-DMC-12

I only got about halfway down the first page before I had to close it in disgust... I forgot how superior the engineering in the Scirocco was. Or how robust the sales of the Phaeton were. And certainly, no one in the history of VW management has ever had any association with any activity considered illegal or of questionable morality. And don't forget the slack jawed awe that follows a Jetta everywhere it goes! :)

Farrar
01-23-2012, 11:57 AM
Not a stupid comment, but a funny exchange from yesterday:

I was working in the trunk area of my car and sitting in it I could not be seen. Right next to me, where it has been parked since at least June, is a 1980s-era Mercedes-Benz four-door sedan. Along come two young children on their bicycles, one boy and one girl.

From my position hidden in the trunk, I heard the following conversation.

Boy: "Look, the 'Back to the Future' car is open."
Girl: "THAT's the 'Back to the Future' car?"
Boy: "Of COURSE it is."
Girl: "I thought you said THAT was the 'Back to the Future' car."
Boy: "NOOOoooooooo! That's a MERCEDES!"
Girl: "Oh."

Ah, remember the age when you pretended to know what your friends were talking about in order not to feel awkward? I think that little girl actually has no interest in her friend's taste in movies... :lol:

Farrar

Chris Burns
02-13-2012, 11:26 AM
I was checking out the Smokey Yunick powered Delorean and a guy next to me goes "You know this car only tops out at 80mph?". I said ,"No, at 120mph and 140mph with the turbo kit." Then of course the usual BTTF jokes, "where do you put in the garbage?" and "where's the flux capacitor?"

I love Deloreans to death, but they are like the Rodney Dangerfield of cars "No Respect at all".

jawn101
03-14-2012, 10:40 PM
On Saturday some kid asked me "will you trade it for my Civic?"

Oh, a joke. I see. How droll.

SIMid
03-14-2012, 10:59 PM
"Have you tried to get up to 88mph?"

"What do you think I am? Stupid?"

sdg3205
03-15-2012, 12:47 AM
Today Toby Peterson was on King 5 morning news. The host got in his car and had a very serious look on her face; she honestly looked perplexed and confused. She was looking around the car and then said 'where's the flux capacitor?' I laughed pretty hard because I think she was under the impression it was standard Delorean equipment as opposed to a joke!

SIMid
03-15-2012, 01:54 AM
Today Toby Peterson was on King 5 morning news. The host got in his car and had a very serious look on her face; she honestly looked perplexed and confused. She was looking around the car and then said 'where's the flux capacitor?' I laughed pretty hard because I think she was under the impression it was standard Delorean equipment as opposed to a joke!

*LOL*

I am actually surprised that DMC (later on) have not made a retro fitting flux prop for the Deloreans.

Rhsxo
03-15-2012, 02:52 AM
Last Saturday I was at the car wash and this guy walks up to me and says "That's a DeLorean right?" I said yes, then he says something that I still can't figure out where this came from:

"I use to live a block away from where they built these in Oakland."

Not wanting to talk to this guy anymore, I just said "Oh that's cool" and walked away.

Where do you think he got Oakland from? I've never heard of or read anyone encountering that as a response.

thirdmanj
03-15-2012, 06:11 AM
^ pssht Oakland, Ireland!! Duh! :lol:

Ikeaboy1
03-15-2012, 11:21 AM
:eek7: Maybe thats where the IAmAuto factory is?

Chris4099
03-15-2012, 01:23 PM

Below is a link to the segment. He's about 7:30 into the video.
http://www.king5.com/new-day-northwest/Emerald-City-Comicon-142631116.html

mluder
03-15-2012, 02:19 PM
OK... I'm 15 seconds in and this is the most annoying show on television. Fast forwarding to Toby now.

Steve

mluder
03-15-2012, 03:01 PM

As usual, Toby handled the situation with grace and dignity.

Steven

Dangermouse
03-15-2012, 03:54 PM
"One of the best 80's movies of all time" :confused2:

Chris4099
03-15-2012, 06:18 PM
"One of the best 80's movies of all time" :confused2:

Sure, why not??? Clearly it was one of the bigger movies of that decade.

Number 1:
http://www.squidoo.com/top-80s-movies

Number 7:
http://www.retrojunk.com/details_articles/2954/

Number 22:
http://www.spiffy-entertainment.com/80smovies.html

Number 1 grossing for 1985 (33 of all time):
http://www.80s.com/Entertainment/Movies/TopGrossing/

Number 9 and 12 grossing for the decade:
http://www.eightyeightynine.com/film/top100_boxoffice.html

sdg3205
03-15-2012, 06:23 PM
Sure, why not??? Clearly it was one of the bigger movies of that decade.

Number 1:
http://www.squidoo.com/top-80s-movies

Number 7:
http://www.retrojunk.com/details_articles/2954/

Number 22:
http://www.spiffy-entertainment.com/80smovies.html

Number 1 grossing for 1985 (33 of all time):
http://www.80s.com/Entertainment/Movies/TopGrossing/

Number 9 and 12 grossing for the decade:
http://www.eightyeightynine.com/film/top100_boxoffice.html

I think what he's saying is that "of all time" is irrelevant since there is only a 10 year gap for 80's movies to compete!

Stainless
03-15-2012, 06:27 PM
I think what he's saying is that "of all time" is irrelevant since there is only a 10 year gap for 80's movies to compete!

+1

Chris4099
03-15-2012, 06:31 PM
LOL, gotcha.

Dangermouse
03-16-2012, 08:00 AM

That's exactly what I meant.

Stainless
03-16-2012, 11:03 AM
Anyone ever had someone disregard their own safety just so they can get a picture of your DeLorean? I was driving through a parking lot this week when a dude runs out from between two cars right in front of me waving his hands to get me to stop. For fear of damaging my car, I didn't run him over :)

Once I stopped, I rolled down my passenger side window to see what he wanted, and he said that stopped me so that his son or nephew could get a picture of my car. The worst part was that he was smoking a cigarette and all his nasty smoke was coming in my car while he was talking to me. My car stunk the rest of the way home. With regards to stupid comments, he asked me, "What point in time are you going to take me, man?"

mluder
03-16-2012, 12:05 PM
Anyone ever had someone disregard their own safety just so they can get a picture of your DeLorean?

I've had people almost swerve into me on the interstate because they were trying to take a picture with their cell phone while driving 65 miles an hour. - That's happened twice.

Michael
03-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Anyone ever had someone disregard their own safety just so they can get a picture of your DeLorean?

No matter how little they care about their own saftey, your saftey matters even less, and they will risk both for that stupid phone picture(not to mention risking wrecking the very car they want a pic of).

Chris Burns
03-16-2012, 02:05 PM
No matter how little they care about their own saftey, your saftey matters even less, and they will risk both for that stupid phone picture(not to mention risking wrecking the very car they want a pic of).

That's why when you drive a Delorean you stay on the backroads as much as possible! I had that happen when I was driving VIN 2744 a couple of years ago. A red Dodge Durango was next to us at a light. We both pulled out at the same time and the guy in the Durango was watching us and not even paying attention to the road! Thankfully there was no accidents, but Deloreans are rubberneck cars for sure!

Jimmyvonviggle
03-16-2012, 10:01 PM
Anyone ever had someone disregard their own safety just so they can get a picture of your DeLorean? I was driving through a parking lot this week when a dude runs out from between two cars right in front of me waving his hands to get me to stop. For fear of damaging my car, I didn't run him over :)

Once I stopped, I rolled down my passenger side window to see what he wanted, and he said that stopped me so that his son or nephew could get a picture of my car. The worst part was that he was smoking a cigarette and all his nasty smoke was coming in my car while he was talking to me. My car stunk the rest of the way home. With regards to stupid comments, he asked me, "What point in time are you going to take me, man?"

Its one thing to be nice and accomodating, but I don't think we need to give these type of assholes the time of day. I would just drive on.

DL4567
03-17-2012, 11:00 AM
... he asked me, "What point in time are you going to take me, man?"

The time when I go home and leave you standing here. Enjoy your cigarette!

Kenny_Z
03-18-2012, 12:53 AM
While we were sitting in a parking lot today a guy told my brother a story about his uncle's red Delorean. The story was that the uncle got locked in the car so he used a gun to shoot his way out. Because that's exactly what I'd do if I was locked in the car. The new sheetmetal cost too much so they just painted the car red. I was on the phone but I would have asked why, if he had to shoot something, didn't he just shoot out the side window? It seems to be a lot easier than trying to shoot out a door mechanism. :rolleyes1:

Chris Burns
03-18-2012, 09:51 AM
It was probably a Bricklin :giddy:

Jimmyvonviggle
03-18-2012, 10:49 AM
While we were sitting in a parking lot today a guy told my brother a story about his uncle's red Delorean. The story was that the uncle got locked in the car so he used a gun to shoot his way out. Because that's exactly what I'd do if I was locked in the car. The new sheetmetal cost too much so they just painted the car red. I was on the phone but I would have asked why, if he had to shoot something, didn't he just shoot out the side window? It seems to be a lot easier than trying to shoot out a door mechanism. :rolleyes1:

I don't know what type of gun he was using, but seriously do you know how loud that would be in our cars, not to mention dangerous at that range? Pieces of car would fly at you.

I'll have to put this in the Bullshit section or trying to impress a DeLorean owner section.

whocruiser
03-18-2012, 11:11 AM
Last Saturday I was at the car wash and this guy walks up to me and says "That's a DeLorean right?" I said yes, then he says something that I still can't figure out where this came from:

"I use to live a block away from where they built these in Oakland."

Not wanting to talk to this guy anymore, I just said "Oh that's cool" and walked away.

Where do you think he got Oakland from? I've never heard of or read anyone encountering that as a response.

If there's actually any kernal of truth under his story, it might well be the west coast quality assurance center that he's thinking of...

Jimmyvonviggle
03-18-2012, 04:45 PM
Not a stupid comment but just a regular reaction.

I was at the automotive store today (for the umpteenth time) and so I am looking for spark plugs. Can't figure which to buy, so I go up to the parts counter and tell the guy I'm looking for plugs. Now he was quite grumpy, so he asks what year. I say an 81. He says what type of car. I take a second to respond, then say DeLorean. The guy just looks at me for at least 3 seconds, cracks a smile and says that is so awesome. He then was so nice and walked me over to the spark plug rack.

My wife who was with me was amused at how the mere mention of the DeLorean evoked such a response.

Rhsxo
03-18-2012, 07:19 PM
If there's actually any kernal of truth under his story, it might well be the west coast quality assurance center that he's thinking of...

I thought the West Coast QA center was set up down in the Los Angles area. Am I wrong?

Kenny_Z
03-18-2012, 11:22 PM
Yeah, I was going with BS myself. Then again, I do live in the south. I wouldn't expect anything less.

My wife who was with me was amused at how the mere mention of the DeLorean evoked such a response.

That's happened to me more than once. It goes from the "another guy that doesn't know what he drives" to "oh, he was too unsure if I'd know what that was, this guy knows what he's doing."

mluder
03-19-2012, 12:24 AM
I've had simmilar happen. Sometimes it's just an "That's awesome" but more often it's "Is it HERE?" and then a frown whem I say it's not.

Steve

Not a stupid comment but just a regular reaction.

I was at the automotive store today (for the umpteenth time) and so I am looking for spark plugs. Can't figure which to buy, so I go up to the parts counter and tell the guy I'm looking for plugs. Now he was quite grumpy, so he asks what year. I say an 81. He says what type of car. I take a second to respond, then say DeLorean. The guy just looks at me for at least 3 seconds, cracks a smile and says that is so awesome. He then was so nice and walked me over to the spark plug rack.

David_NYS
03-22-2012, 09:58 PM
Okay, so this is my first post. Just picked up my DMC-12 the other day… Happy day, right?
Well, yeah, there was a little rain on my parade, when I realized several miles down the road that the alternator was dead. :(
With the help of my friend I managed to push my car into a parking space at a mall I happened to be passing. Of course queue the pavorazzi. And oh yeah, some jock had to tell me how I needed to have 1.21 Gigawatts to get her started (what the hell is a Gigawatt??).
The mall cop actually came along, and offered to give us a ride to NAPA. Initially I thought it was only a bad battery.
I come back only to find a woman in a leopard print skirt eying my car up. I braced myself for another BTTF comment; I was really not having a good day.
I almost said something I would have regretted. Luckily, before I could say anything she simply said. “I love your car! I’m the mall manager on duty, and when I heard the security guard call it over the radio; I had to come see it. May I take a picture?”
My reply, “of course, I can take a picture of you with it if you like. Would you like to sit in it?” We made her day, and she made ours! :)

jawn101
03-22-2012, 11:48 PM
Okay, so this is my first post. Just picked up my DMC-12 the other day… Happy day, right?
Well, yeah, there was a little rain on my parade, when I realized several miles down the road that the alternator was dead. :(
With the help of my friend I managed to push my car into a parking space at a mall I happened to be passing. Of course queue the pavorazzi. And oh yeah, some jock had to tell me how I needed to have 1.21 Gigawatts to get her started (what the hell is a Gigawatt??).
The mall cop actually came along, and offered to give us a ride to NAPA. Initially I thought it was only a bad battery.
I come back only to find a woman in a leopard print skirt eying my car up. I braced myself for another BTTF comment; I was really not having a good day.
I almost said something I would have regretted. Luckily, before I could say anything she simply said. “I love your car! I’m the mall manager on duty, and when I heard the security guard call it over the radio; I had to come see it. May I take a picture?”
My reply, “of course, I can take a picture of you with it if you like. Would you like to sit in it?” We made her day, and she made ours! :)

Cool story :) For every stupid comment there will be a hundred times where the car makes you an ambassador of joy. Get used to both.... :lol:

dvonk
03-23-2012, 12:34 AM
welcome to the forum, congrats on your new D! :wave:

(edit: 1000th post! am i annoying anyone yet? haha.)