PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Compatible brake caliper cross reference

Jim D
01-10-2012, 04:45 PM
When I purchased my Delorean, it had a number of documents and one was a DMC Compatible Parts Cross Reference. Looks like I need to replace my brake calipers and looking at the cross reference, I find a "Papral #244 and #245 (front and back). I called my local NAPA store and they have them in stock (with another cross ref # for NAPA) and they cost $58 each for the rear and $50 for the front (plus core charge), less than even the "bargain" prices of some discount Delorean parts places. Anyone used these or know if these are actual replacements?
Jim

DMCMW Dave
01-10-2012, 05:30 PM
Generally (if they really have them, you may find out they can't get them when they try to order them) they are not OEM Girling brakes but will be a different brand that happens to fit. The rears will have a smaller piston diameter so the internal parts do not interchange when you go to rebuild them in the future.

Whatever you do don't give up your cores, they will just throw them away at the rebuilder as they will think they are wrong.

When I purchased my Delorean, it had a number of documents and one was a DMC Compatible Parts Cross Reference. Looks like I need to replace my brake calipers and looking at the cross reference, I find a "Papral #244 and #245 (front and back). I called my local NAPA store and they have them in stock (with another cross ref # for NAPA) and they cost $58 each for the rear and $50 for the front (plus core charge), less than even the "bargain" prices of some discount Delorean parts places. Anyone used these or know if these are actual replacements?
Jim

Jim D
01-11-2012, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the info. When checking prices for calipers at Delorean parts sites, I see a huge difference in prices. Do you think the lower prices are using these type of parts? I realize some may be rebuilt and less expensive but the range is from $69.95 to over $300 for what looks to be the same part.

stevedmc
01-11-2012, 11:12 AM
Front Brake Calipers
Part # 19-244/19-245
Cross Reference Vehicle: 1977 Mercuri Capri

Rear Brake Calipers
Part # FRC3855/FRC3856
Cross Reference Vehicle: 1987 JAGUAR XJ6 4.2L
Pistons are a little smaller than Girling calipers

Buy lifetime warranty parts whenever you can if the price is reasonable.

nullset
01-11-2012, 01:33 PM
Jim

Do you need to replace them or rebuild them?

What's wrong with them?

--buddy

Mark D
01-11-2012, 02:40 PM
Unless you've cracked the caliper housing or something and the old ones are completely junk you can easily rebuild your calipers.

Worst case the pistons might be pitted from rust, but replacing pistons as needed is cheaper than replacing the whole caliper.

Seal kits are available from the normal vendors, ot you can find them at napa. They were out of stock at my local store, but they could order them for around 10 bucks per caliper kit.

Napa p/n's are 667 (front) and 989 (rear)

If you are looking to restore the finish of the calipers to their original yellow zinc coating there are plenty of places around that can clean and replate them for you.

If you would rather not rebuild for whatever the reason don't turn in your old giring parts as cores. Sell them to someone here who wants OEM parts.

Jim D
01-11-2012, 04:04 PM
I bought the car a few months ago and have little history on it. It has been in a barn since the late 80s and has less than 17,000 miles on it. The brakes work but the front right wheel seems to pull and the caliper is not retracting completely. I just assumed the pistons would be pitted and if the replacement caliper could be bought for around $50 each, I figured that was the best way to go. I have no problem rebuilding them if they seem to be in good shape but have not taken them off yet, that will be my next step (right after replacing the bad radiator, working out the fuel injection issues and replacing the clutch master cylinder).

Ryan King
01-12-2012, 01:15 AM
Honestly, rebuild them. Or buy a new set from one of the vendors (Grady or Hervey)
Keep your brakes in the DeLorean family/circle. They could be traded in and brought back to new