PDA

View Full Version : General Antenna options

1batt4u
01-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Hi all,

Instead of using the stock antenna, or any other antenna, anyone recommend something thats like a GPS antenna, small and hidden??? Need it for my DeLorean and other car.

Thanks!

Notifier
01-11-2012, 05:56 PM
I don't know if this went anywhere...

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?2442-Rear-Window-Defroster-as-an-antenna&highlight=defroster+antenna

1batt4u
01-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Someone on another forum recommended these:

http://metraonline.com/part/44-UA200

http://metraonline.com/part/44-UA20

Anyone ever try these??

sdg3205
01-12-2012, 01:15 PM
I bought a hidden one. It's crap. Reception is often worse when it's on (12v).

JohnZ
08-23-2013, 07:45 AM
May I ask you something? I resume this old thread because it's just a simple question.

Does the antenna stays up even if I listen to a cassette / CD (aftermarket) or just when I'm in "radio tuner mode"?

ccurzio
08-23-2013, 07:50 AM
It should only pop up when the tuner is on. Any modern head-unit will only power up the antenna when you're looking for a broadcast signal.

JohnZ
08-23-2013, 07:52 AM
Thanks Chris, I supposed it worked that way but I wasn't sure!

Tillsy
08-23-2013, 08:26 AM
Though note it is the stereo itself that sends the signal to raise the antenna, not the car, so is dependant on your head unit.

I had one years ago that would raise the antenna so long as the unit was on, even though I might have been listening to a CD.

But I have never had one that does it that way since - every unit I've purchased since then will specifically raise it only when in tuner mode.

DMCMW Dave
08-23-2013, 08:33 AM
A factory Craig or ASI will leave the antenna up with a tape playing.

Older aftermarket radios would do the same thing, modern ones will put the antenna down using something other than the radio.

jwrayth
08-23-2013, 08:34 AM
I had one years ago that would raise the antenna so long as the unit was on, even though I might have been listening to a CD.

This was the behavior of the Craig radio and automatic antenna when I purchased 4494.

dmc6960
08-23-2013, 08:53 AM
My 2013 Pioneer head unit leaves the antenna up if I'm listening to an iPod or Bluetooth source. Was a little disappointed at that. Haven't actually tried the CD player yet. My <aftermarket> power antenna quit working (stuck up) a few weeks ago. Its the ONLY thing to break so far this year with 4 months of daily driving. And by all logical means, it SHOULD lower it when not in use. It has two auxiliary switched outputs. One labeled for antenna (only on with tuner), and one for an amplifier (on with head unit).

JohnZ
08-23-2013, 10:18 AM
Ok thanks, I'm not that radio listener so my antenna could be broken and I wouldn't miss it, but I'd love to listen to Cds or tapes while cruising!

I hope that a broken antenna system does not affect the cassette playing... isn't it?

jwrayth
08-23-2013, 10:41 AM
Provided the cassette deck itself is sound, then you'll be fine listening to tapes with a broken antenna.

kobachi
08-23-2013, 10:57 PM
It should only pop up when the tuner is on. Any modern head-unit will only power up the antenna when you're looking for a broadcast signal.

This isn't true, I have a current-model Pioneer headunit (AVH-X7500BT) and the "remote" wire is on anytime the source is set to anything but "off" -- because it's often used as a turn-on signal for an external amp.

Shep
09-01-2013, 09:24 PM
This isn't true, I have a current-model Pioneer headunit (AVH-X7500BT) and the "remote" wire is on anytime the source is set to anything but "off" -- because it's often used as a turn-on signal for an external amp.Not always the case though. The Kenwood I have in my Civic has two wires, one labeled "Remote" and one labeled "Ant". "Remote" is designed for amps (on whenever music is on), and "Ant" is designed for power antennas (on with radio only). I got it two or three years ago, but newer variants do the same thing. Are you sure you don't have two wires for that?